Notices

Old January 30th, 2018, 11:21 AM   #1
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Dualsport/Enduro?

I know this is Ninjette for Ninjas, but you all are such a diverse group of riders and I know some of you out there have other bikes... So I was hoping I could ask about this, but if it belongs elsewhere, please move it!

Last year I got myself hooked on single-track, woods, and off-road riding and unexpectedly found myself at the finish line of the Hammer Run Dualsport ride in NJ.. so this year I'm planning to do more of them but I also have my eye on Enduro, Hare Scramble and Observed Trials. The bike will be a Beta X Trainer 300.

Anyone here participate in those events? I'm not sure my riding skills are up to snuff for Enduro racing but it's my long-term goal. I think I'd be fine in C class in the Hare Scrambles. Someone told me the Hammer Run is the hardest of the AMA Dualsport rides and if I finish that one I'd be fine on their other stuff.

I'm also interested in meeting up with any of you who may be doing AMA rides in the Mid-Atlantic (PA, OH, NJ, DE, MD, VA, WV) and want to hang out and possibly ride slow with me lol. Some particular Dualsports I'm interested are the Greenridge (MD), Copperhead (OH), Michaux (PA), Shenandoah 500 (VA) and Hammer Run (NJ).

If anyone wants to chat with me about their Dualsport/Enduro/Hare Scramble/Trials experience, I'd appreciate any advice or tips or suggestions! (Pic is of me getting my butt whooped in the NJ pine forest!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 23314220_10155003222851088_693825302_o.jpg (201.8 KB, 6 views)

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old January 30th, 2018, 11:42 AM   #2
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Riding slow sucks!

Sorry, I was just thinking out loud.

Old January 30th, 2018, 01:51 PM   #3
Ram Jet

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finesse View Post
I know this is Ninjette for Ninjas, but you all are such a diverse group of riders and I know some of you out there have other bikes... So I was hoping I could ask about this, but if it belongs elsewhere, please move it!

Last year I got myself hooked on single-track, woods, and off-road riding and unexpectedly found myself at the finish line of the Hammer Run Dualsport ride in NJ.. so this year I'm planning to do more of them but I also have my eye on Enduro, Hare Scramble and Observed Trials. The bike will be a Beta X Trainer 300.

Anyone here participate in those events? I'm not sure my riding skills are up to snuff for Enduro racing but it's my long-term goal. I think I'd be fine in C class in the Hare Scrambles. Someone told me the Hammer Run is the hardest of the AMA Dualsport rides and if I finish that one I'd be fine on their other stuff.

I'm also interested in meeting up with any of you who may be doing AMA rides in the Mid-Atlantic (PA, OH, NJ, DE, MD, VA, WV) and want to hang out and possibly ride slow with me lol. Some particular Dualsports I'm interested are the Greenridge (MD), Copperhead (OH), Michaux (PA), Shenandoah 500 (VA) and Hammer Run (NJ).

If anyone wants to chat with me about their Dualsport/Enduro/Hare Scramble/Trials experience, I'd appreciate any advice or tips or suggestions! (Pic is of me getting my butt whooped in the NJ pine forest!)
Katie, girls aren't supposed to ride dirt bikes and get muddy. Cheeese!

Bill

Last futzed with by Ram Jet; January 30th, 2018 at 01:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2018, 06:35 PM   #4
empire00
ninjette.org member

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r SE, 2015 FJ-09

Just take the ninjette!

https://www.facebook.com/BrandonPaas...9292864846934/
empire00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2018, 07:12 PM   #5
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by empire00 View Post
That is fantastic. I don't have a ninja 250 anymore though!

Old January 30th, 2018, 09:11 PM   #6
verboten1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
I ride with lots of guys that do them in TN/NC/GA . I can get my bike anywhere they go, but it’s amazing to me some of the things they do and the ease with which they do it. Tom Asher does stuff I do on my DRZ on a freaking BMW GS!!

He tought me some things when we were both on KLRs and it’s amazing what one can make a bike do.

I found this group 10 years ago, and I have no desire to compete, but I feel that riding with them, learning and their encouragement has give me the skillset that I could compete.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2018, 01:13 PM   #7
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:

Awesome Katie!! Wish I could join you but there isn't time for EVERYTHING! Lol. Just keep riding and practicing the skills, you'll do awesome. Have fun!
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2018, 07:05 PM   #8
Ram Jet

Quote:
I try to keep mud OFF my Ninja. Hey, you're a good rider, you must be a terror on a dirt bike.

Bill

Last futzed with by Ram Jet; February 13th, 2018 at 07:06 PM. Reason: spelling
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2018, 10:47 PM   #9
maverick9611
"a legend in my own mind"

Name: maverick9611

Motorcycle(s): 2015 moto guzzi norge(brownie),2020 aprilia dorsoduro,

MOTM - Feb '18
i raced enduro, hare scrambles back in 70/80's.my advice might be outdated. i did make A rider status though. i had unique opportunity to race in many areas of the country due to my pops being in the nuke business . i would say Florida was quite tough due to the sand whoops that build up during the race. you have to be fit for sure!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 14th, 2018, 01:52 AM   #10
maverick9611

MOTM - Feb '18
79 cr 390 husky. great hare scrambles weapon in the day😎

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old February 14th, 2018, 02:48 AM   #11
maverick9611

MOTM - Feb '18
bikes i raced
hodaka 100 dirt squirt, penton 100, husky cr 125, husky 250 or, husky 430 auto, husky 500 auto, husky 500 wr, husky 400 wr isde replica, ktm rv 125, can am 125 rotary valve, kdx 175, kdx 250.

Old February 16th, 2018, 10:09 AM   #12
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
^awesome.

I'm trying to find a bike. Looking for a slightly used X trainer 300. I'm toying with the idea of a KTM Freeride 250r or even a Husqvarna TE150 but these bikes are all real hard to come by.

Old February 16th, 2018, 02:50 PM   #13
maverick9611

MOTM - Feb '18
good luck! find something thats reliable and will last a good season of racing.

Old February 16th, 2018, 03:20 PM   #14
Ram Jet

Quote:
^awesome.

I'm trying to find a bike. Looking for a slightly used X trainer 300. I'm toying with the idea of a KTM Freeride 250r or even a Husqvarna TE150 but these bikes are all real hard to come by.
https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mc...483021264.html

Bill

Old February 16th, 2018, 03:33 PM   #15
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
^Trust me, I know every bike on Craigslist at this point.

I am not looking for a 14 year old KTM (or any KTM really). I'm looking for a 2015+ Beta X Trainer 300. End of discussion! Everyone wants to tell me about other bikes I should buy but it's not their money I'm spending

Old February 16th, 2018, 10:20 PM   #16
Ram Jet

Quote:
^Trust me, I know every bike on Craigslist at this point.

I am not looking for a 14 year old KTM (or any KTM really). I'm looking for a 2015+ Beta X Trainer 300. End of discussion! Everyone wants to tell me about other bikes I should buy but it's not their money I'm spending

Bill

Old February 16th, 2018, 10:35 PM   #17
empire00
ninjette.org member

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r SE, 2015 FJ-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
I try to keep mud OFF my Ninja. Hey, you're a good rider, you must be a terror on a dirt bike.

Bill
I wish I could take credit for that riding, but that isn't me. Last dirt bike I was on ended poorly for me. Cased a 30ish foot uphill double on a 98 KX250. Broken collar bone and bruised chest.
empire00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2018, 11:47 PM   #18
Ram Jet

Quote:
I wish I could take credit for that riding, but that isn't me. Last dirt bike I was on ended poorly for me. Cased a 30ish foot uphill double on a 98 KX250. Broken collar bone and bruised chest.
Ooooo! That's what would happen to me. I rode a dirt bike once in my life about 25 yards around a guy's yard. Hell, I get nervous on a dirt road with my Ninja.

Bill

Old February 17th, 2018, 09:29 PM   #19
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
Ooooo! That's what would happen to me. I rode a dirt bike once in my life about 25 yards around a guy's yard. Hell, I get nervous on a dirt road with my Ninja.

Bill
You're missing out!

Old February 17th, 2018, 09:46 PM   #20
Ram Jet

Quote:
You're missing out!

I know. My motto is the same as Grace Slick's - "I'll try anything once, twice if I like it." I've gotta find someone who will trust me with their dirt bike and take me riding in the woods. I'd repair any damage I do to their bike. Never say never.

Bill

Old February 18th, 2018, 07:20 AM   #21
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
^awesome.

Going by the kind of riding you seem interested i would probably stay away from anything 150 or 125. Even the more trails oriented 150's will not have that great of a low end, they are still more mid, top end engines.

Don't get me wrong, i love 125's and would love to own a 150 but they are not ideal for slow and technical

Think you are on the right track with the xtrainer

I thought i was gonna get out on my dirt bike today, they have been calling for mid 40's and sun all week for today. Not so much, 40's maybe, but wasn't banking on the 4 inches of snow we got last night Maybe next weekend

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2018, 04:51 PM   #22
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
Going by the kind of riding you seem interested i would probably stay away from anything 150 or 125. Even the more trails oriented 150's will not have that great of a low end, they are still more mid, top end engines.

Don't get me wrong, i love 125's and would love to own a 150 but they are not ideal for slow and technical

Think you are on the right track with the xtrainer

I thought i was gonna get out on my dirt bike today, they have been calling for mid 40's and sun all week for today. Not so much, 40's maybe, but wasn't banking on the 4 inches of snow we got last night Maybe next weekend
@subxero YES FINALLY. Someone I completely trust and who knows me, my riding, and my budget very well told me to stay away from the 150s and go with the bigger motor because a) it has better low end grunt and b) you won't have to wind it up so much to get the power when you need it.

I'm going to look at a 2015 Freeride 250R on Thursday. I got along very well with that bike at the Hammer Run and I think it would make a great single track partner. Some of the things I've been hearing about the Betas are real scary - notably that they have an issue with the throttle slide sticking and the throttle will suddenly be wide open and the kill switch doesn't work in that case. They are also $8400 out the door and I can't find a used one under $7000. I just don't have the money and I really want to get a couple months under my belt getting used to a new bike before I do any serious rides.

I've stayed away from KTM because their bikes are huge and "ready to race" (aka not mellow, I like mellow) but the Freeride seems to be an exception and was actually super easy to handle and much much more fun and easy than my KLX pig. Plus it's got a 36 inch seat height (everything else is 38) and weighs even less than the X trainer at 202lb - that's what my DRZ 125 weighs!

Old February 19th, 2018, 05:30 PM   #23
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
@subxero YES FINALLY. Someone I completely trust and who knows me, my riding, and my budget very well told me to stay away from the 150s and go with the bigger motor because a) it has better low end grunt and b) you won't have to wind it up so much to get the power when you need it.

I'm going to look at a 2015 Freeride 250R on Thursday. I got along very well with that bike at the Hammer Run and I think it would make a great single track partner. Some of the things I've been hearing about the Betas are real scary - notably that they have an issue with the throttle slide sticking and the throttle will suddenly be wide open and the kill switch doesn't work in that case. They are also $8400 out the door and I can't find a used one under $7000. I just don't have the money and I really want to get a couple months under my belt getting used to a new bike before I do any serious rides.

I've stayed away from KTM because their bikes are huge and "ready to race" (aka not mellow, I like mellow) but the Freeride seems to be an exception and was actually super easy to handle and much much more fun and easy than my KLX pig. Plus it's got a 36 inch seat height (everything else is 38) and weighs even less than the X trainer at 202lb - that's what my DRZ 125 weighs!
I wouldn't worry too much about the beta carb and sticking WOT. Pretty sure the beta uses a keihin pwk style carb, they are the best. Stuck WOT issues are typically mechanical issue, grips put on wrong, cable poorly routed, dirt causing slide to stick, clogged pinched vent lines. I'm sure if it has happened on a few bikes someone has figured out the issue and has an easy fix for prevention

KTM advertises "ready to race" but their bikes especially their 2 strokes are pretty tame and often come with adjustments to make the power delivery just how you want it. For example i think all the 2 stroke bikes 125 -300cc no matter the model all have an adjustable power valve with 2 modes of adjustment. You can change to 1 of 3 springs for big changes in delivery, Green being mellow, yellow in the middle and red spring being aggressive. On top of that there is also a power valve adjuster screw for more subtle changes. So you could put in the mellow green spring, then turn the adjuster to as mellow as it goes and it would be like riding and 4 stroke. They also have an ignition map "switch" under the seat somewhere i believe. It is more of an plug than a switch but it used to be that unplugged was mellow map, and plugged together was aggressive map or other way around, you get the idea.

I have some decent time on a 16 ktm 250xc and it is fairly mellow compared to my yz250x and i think that my yz250x is pretty tame. I rode an 18 300xc only for a short time but i also thought it was mellow, the power was very linear, controllable and tractable. Easy bike to ride

I don't know a whole lot about the ktm free ride. I'm sure it is a good bike, from what i have read and heard it is more trials oriented over the beta xtrainer and not quite as good as a trail rider. I wouldn't worry too much about it though, again, i'm sure it is a great bike and either or will perform extremely well for you.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.

Old February 19th, 2018, 05:38 PM   #24
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero
I wouldn't worry too much about the beta carb and sticking WOT. Pretty sure the beta uses a keihin pwk style carb, they are the best. Stuck WOT issues are typically mechanical issue, grips put on wrong, cable poorly routed, dirt causing slide to stick, clogged pinched vent lines. I'm sure if it has happened on a few bikes someone has figured out the issue and has an easy fix for prevention

KTM advertises "ready to race" but their bikes especially their 2 strokes are pretty tame and often come with adjustments to make the power delivery just how you want it. For example i think all the 2 stroke bikes 125 -300cc no matter the model all have an adjustable power valve with 2 modes of adjustment. You can change to 1 of 3 springs for big changes in delivery, Green being mellow, yellow in the middle and red spring being aggressive. On top of that there is also a power valve adjuster screw for more subtle changes. So you could put in the mellow green spring, then turn the adjuster to as mellow as it goes and it would be like riding and 4 stroke. They also have an ignition map "switch" under the seat somewhere i believe. It is more of an plug than a switch but it used to be that unplugged was mellow map, and plugged together was aggressive map or other way around, you get the idea.

I have some decent time on a 16 ktm 250xc and it is fairly mellow compared to my yz250x and i think that my yz250x is pretty tame. I rode an 18 300xc only for a short time but i also thought it was mellow, the power was very linear, controllable and tractable. Easy bike to ride

I don't know a whole lot about the ktm free ride. I'm sure it is a good bike, from what i have read and heard it is more trials oriented over the beta xtrainer and not quite as good as a trail rider. I wouldn't worry too much about it though, again, i'm sure it is a great bike and either or will perform extremely well for you.
Exactly, all of the above. I rode the Freeride in both "map" settings (I believe it's ignition advance that's making the difference?) and found it tough to handle in "fast" mode in slow single track, but like dancing in "slow" mode..... at this point, my riding skills and the specificity of what I "need" in a bike don't really narrow my choice down to any one particular bike, but I do know that the freeride would suit me really well. My average speed tends to be well under 20 mph and I am interested in technical riding and single track.

If I hate it, I can sell it! Appreciate the valuable input as always.

Old February 19th, 2018, 06:00 PM   #25
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
^do you know if the free ride also has the power valve adjustment springs?

Old February 19th, 2018, 06:04 PM   #26
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
I believe the answer is no