ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old April 27th, 2016, 06:36 PM   #1
yenome
ninjette.org member

Name: Fred

Motorcycle(s): 09' Ninja 250R

carb removal/cleaning

So i have been thinking its time to check/clean/sync the carbs. I bought a 09 ninja 250 with right over 6k miles on it. I have read the forum posts and watched videos on the process so i feel ready but i would like to hear any extra things i should do while i have the carbs off and the bike apart. I was going to adjust the idle mixture and clean the carbs as it is not idling properly. then again perhaps im just being too finicky about how it idles. the video is after 30+ mins of riding around my city.

sorry video is sideways didnt have any editing software for uploading. Tried embedding the video but it kept adding extra to the link so it wouldnt work.

Link to original page on YouTube.

yenome is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2016, 06:49 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by yenome View Post
........ I bought a 09 ninja 250 with right over 6k miles on it..........
Welcome, Fred !!!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that idle.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2016, 06:51 PM   #3
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Don't touch em!

There is nothing wrong with that at all.

If you feel you need to do something, check your air filter. Otherwise, fuggedaboutit!

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2016, 06:54 PM   #4
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Looks like it's idling fine to me. But it's always a good idea to monkey around with the idle mixture on a new bike until you're happy with it imo. 2 and a half turns out on both of the screws should be okay though, if you don't want to do that.

A lot of people think this is common sense, but it wasn't to me the first time; don't get cleaner on any rubber parts, especially the diaphragms. A little bit on the hoses is nbd, just wipe it off, but do not get any on the diaphragms, and place them somewhere like in a zippy bag when you set them aside so you won't get any crap on them. I'm assuming you've seen these already, and they are for the pre-2008 Ninja 250's, but I'll put 'em here for good measure, as most carburetors are generally the same in design.

Cleaning:

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Cleaning_the_carbs_1
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Cleaning_the_carbs_2

Syncing:

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_...carburetors%3F

Adjusting the idle:

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_...dle_mixture%3F

EDIT: Others are recommending you don't touch it. I'm a kinsesthetic learner. If you're afraid you'll mess something up, don't do it, but if you're going to mess with the idle and clean the carbs eventually (protip: you will), you might as well do it now since all the knowledge is fresh in your brain. But I'm still reasonably new, and if @Motofool has something to say that opposes it, I'd take his advice over mine; the guy's very smart and wise
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2016, 07:14 PM   #5
yenome
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the advice, it seemed before that the idle was jumping 300-500 rpms but then it could of been cause the bike sat in a garage for the winter before i bought it. PO had the idle set to 2k so i tuned it down. only thing i thought was odd was that today it was 80+ degrees out in charlotte and with full choke the bike took a couple tries to fire up and then it was barely idling. when before it would be up at 4k with full choke. so should i bother with a carb sync since its called for at 6k? im pretty sure nothing up to this point has been done. Ill be slowly doing maintaince to get it up to par before the summer time. next item on the list is new tires its still sitting on the stock IRC roadwinners

Old April 27th, 2016, 08:42 PM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by yenome View Post
........ only thing i thought was odd was that today it was 80+ degrees out in charlotte and with full choke the bike took a couple tries to fire up and then it was barely idling.........
You are welcome

It also happens to me here in Florida.
If the mix (fuel+air) is normally rich, it may be too rich for starting up with full choke when less molecules of air are sucked by the engine (hot air is less dense).

If that happens again, open the throttle some while cranking the engine.

The thing is that both, the bike and you, need some riding quality time in order to know each other and develop a long-lasting relationship.
It is more important to ride, than to ride a bike that is in perfect conditions.

Surgery time may appeal to you now, but I can tell you from experience, that it can lead to many hours of hard work, unnecessary expenses and some frustration, when things take the wrong turn, due to errors or inexperience or parts that work better when untouched.

Regular recommended service and maintenance, yes, it is always good for the bike when done properly.
Be methodical and take your time to accomplish the whole list, while keep riding.
You will learn more while you enjoy the process.
Use a torque wrench on anything that screw into aluminum (wait for the material to cool down).

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2016, 09:44 PM   #7
yenome
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
You are welcome

It also happens to me here in Florida.
If the mix (fuel+air) is normally rich, it may be too rich for starting up with full choke when less molecules of air are sucked by the engine (hot air is less dense).

If that happens again, open the throttle some while cranking the engine.

The thing is that both, the bike and you, need some riding quality time in order to know each other and develop a long-lasting relationship.
It is more important to ride, than to ride a bike that is in perfect conditions.

Surgery time may appeal to you now, but I can tell you from experience, that it can lead to many hours of hard work, unnecessary expenses and some frustration, when things take the wrong turn, due to errors or inexperience or parts that work better when untouched.

Regular recommended service and maintenance, yes, it is always good for the bike when done properly.
Be methodical and take your time to accomplish the whole list, while keep riding.
You will learn more while you enjoy the process.
Use a torque wrench on anything that screw into aluminum (wait for the material to cool down).

good to know im not the only one this happens too, i been riding but with the side walls showing micro cracks i dont ride it. dont want the tire to let go on me. heh ill be in florida at daytona next month for a beach trip woot.