ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 22nd, 2012, 11:07 AM   #1
MrSavvy
ninjette.org member

Name: Crash dummy

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Insurance advice? Crashed my bike

Hey guys. New to the forums. I have a quick scenario to run by you...

Long story short, I was in my neighborhood. Practicing for the motorcycle driving test so i can trade my MP in for a license.
I was driving around a corner, swerved to avoid two potholes, looked up and saw the parked car right before I slammed into it.
I locked up my brakes going ~20mph. Hit the car at probably about 10mph.
I front-flipped over my bike onto the trunk of the car and rolled onto the ground.

Besides nearly destroying my family jewels, I'm not injured. Besides a possible ankle fracture. But I'm gonna give it a day before getting an X-ray.

Quote:
Coverage & Premium Information

BODILY INJURY & PROPERTY DAMAGE LIABILITY $112.00
BI $25,000 EACH PERSON - $50,000 EACH ACCIDENT
PROPERTY DAMAGE LIABILITY - $25,000 EACH ACCIDENT
COMPREHENSIVE $100 DEDUCTIBLE
$141.00
ACCESSORY COVERAGE $3,000
UNINSURED MOTORIST - REJECTED
UNINSURED MOTORIST PROPERTY DAMAGE - REJECTED
Total Policy Premium
$253.00
Even though there was nobody operating the vehicle, and it was parked and turned off, they say it's a collision. They aren't paying jack sh*t for my bike. Which would have been totaled out I'm sure.

Fork is bent, maybe the chassis/subframe, left fairings are shot. That's in the least.

Is there any way to get my money from them for the bike?

I'm not a reckless driver. I've never had a car or bike accident before. This was definitely my fault.
I'm blessed nobody was hurt. Please don't reprimand me for being careless, I honestly am a safe driver. I've never raced another bike or vehicle.
I still have $3k to pay off on the bike which adds to the mess.

I'm just looking for some advice. I might just be SOL.
MrSavvy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2012, 11:18 AM   #2
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

you should definitely get uninsured / under insured coverage. thats about all i can give you
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2012, 11:27 AM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Without collision coverage, I'm not sure what would be possible to recover from your insurance. You weren't covered for what happened, right? Whether you hit a parked car, a pot hole, or a moving vehicle; it's still a collision.

The only exception is if you collided with an animal; that gets covered under a comprehensive policy, not collision. The rule of thumb when getting in a single vehicle motorcycle accident is "I sideswiped a deer". (and then I hit the parked car).

I think that the insurance you are holding on the bike is insufficient for the risk. Running it without collision when you still owe thousands on it is a significant risk, as has unfortunately become clear. Lack of UM coverage can also come back to bite you. The pat answer for many new riders is "but I can't afford better coverage", but going without can lead right into the subject of this thread, and end up costing much more. Good luck.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2012, 12:02 PM   #4
MrSavvy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Without collision coverage, I'm not sure what would be possible to recover from your insurance. You weren't covered for what happened, right? Whether you hit a parked car, a pot hole, or a moving vehicle; it's still a collision.

The only exception is if you collided with an animal; that gets covered under a comprehensive policy, not collision. The rule of thumb when getting in a single vehicle motorcycle accident is "I sideswiped a deer". (and then I hit the parked car).

I think that the insurance you are holding on the bike is insufficient for the risk. Running it without collision when you still owe thousands on it is a significant risk, as has unfortunately become clear. Lack of UM coverage can also come back to bite you. The pat answer for many new riders is "but I can't afford better coverage", but going without can lead right into the subject of this thread, and end up costing much more. Good luck.
Thanks bud. And that's the part that has me so confused. Why the hell would I opt for no collision coverage? That's a no brainer. It's one of the main reasons to have insurance.

It's not even a matter of affording better coverage. I can afford it. It's just I thought I had it. I set it up online and I guess I ran through it to fast.
I think I'm just screwed.

Thanks for the input I appreciate it guys.

Old August 22nd, 2012, 12:10 PM   #5
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

With out having collision you are screwed, they wont pay for the bike. Damage to the other car should come out of your property damage liability. Looks like you will be on the hook for the loan and repairing your bike. The good thing is if there is no frame damage look for used forks and cheap body work to get it back up and running.

What you can do is make a claim for gear and any mods on your bike. you have 3k in accessory coverage so see what you can get for that.

I just crashed my bike and insurance gave me 4200 for it on total, after paying the salvage fee to get the bike back and deductible i had enough to pay off my loan and the cash to fix it. The collision insurance is totally worth it.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2012, 12:18 PM   #6
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

i'm very curious, because I know at least in the states i have lived, the states require you to have an insurance policy that covers damage to someone else's property in the event of a collision, however, you don't have to have coverage on your own property.

it seems you're not getting anything for your bike since you don't have collision coverage. That sucks since you still owe money.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2012, 12:19 PM   #7
MrSavvy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok View Post
With out having collision you are screwed, they wont pay for the bike. Damage to the other car should come out of your property damage liability. Looks like you will be on the hook for the loan and repairing your bike. The good thing is if there is no frame damage look for used forks and cheap body work to get it back up and running.

What you can do is make a claim for gear and any mods on your bike. you have 3k in accessory coverage so see what you can get for that.

I just crashed my bike and insurance gave me 4200 for it on total, after paying the salvage fee to get the bike back and deductible i had enough to pay off my loan and the cash to fix it. The collision insurance is totally worth it.
True true. I'll inspect my helmet and gloves and exhaust. Prolly about $600 invested in those three items. I got the bike back an hour ago, I took a closer look. It appears as though the damage is actually minimal. It even cranks up and runs fine.

It seems the brute force of the impact was solely on the front wheel and the plastic wheel guard. Without closer inspection, I think I might be able to replace the metal handle bars, the fork (I'm thinking just the fork suspension), and the shifter assembly around the left foot peg. The fairing did sustain some damage, but I might be able to fix it up with a little reinforcement and bondo.

I'll definitely be adding collision as well. Lesson learned the hard way. =(

Old August 22nd, 2012, 12:45 PM   #8
cbdallas
ninjette.org guru

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 650R

I'm definitely no insurance expert, and the rules vary from state-to-state, but I didn't think it was possible to have comprehensive coverage, and not have collision coverage.

So if it's stolen, or a tree falls on it..it's covered, but if it's destroyed or damaged while it's being operated, there's no coverage. That's ass-backward.
cbdallas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2012, 01:39 PM   #9
MrSavvy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdallas View Post
I'm definitely no insurance expert, and the rules vary from state-to-state, but I didn't think it was possible to have comprehensive coverage, and not have collision coverage.

So if it's stolen, or a tree falls on it..it's covered, but if it's destroyed or damaged while it's being operated, there's no coverage. That's ass-backward.
Right?! Not only that, but how could I leave off collision when I have a lien on the bike? I thought that was mandatory? I'm going to keep investigating this. This is so messed up.

Old August 22nd, 2012, 02:43 PM   #10
MrSavvy
ninjette.org member

Just an update... I contacted Navy Federal, my loan credit union. They said it's illegal in all 50 states to not have collision on a vehicle or bike that has a lien on it. And since the DMV has not suspended my license, or suspended my bike plate, Progressive is at fault. Somewhere along the line they messed up my insurance. Either by not adding collision, or not reporting correctly to the DMV.

The Navy Federal rep (who also rides) said he's confident that if I contact the DMV, Progressive will have no choice but to cover all repairs on my bike.

I'll be contacting the DMV in the morning.

Old August 22nd, 2012, 03:20 PM   #11
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I'd talk to someone else at the credit union, I do not think the information you received is correct. It's not illegal to not have collision coverage; it's often illegal to not have liability coverage. What gets reported to the DMV is if there is no liability coverage on a vehicle that still has current plates/reg on it, and the state requires a minimum level of liability coverage.

However, it's often written into vehicle loan contracts that the buyer is required to hold sufficient collision coverage (and every other required coverage), as long as there remains a lien on the bike. That's not a law, it's a loan agreement between you and your lender.

If you didn't have the appropriate coverage, it's not on the lender, or the insurance company you bought from; it's on you for being in breach of your contract.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old August 22nd, 2012, 03:34 PM   #12
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

It's odd that the listing shows a comprehensive deductible, but no comprehensive. The other coverage listed seems to be liability, the comprehensive deductible doesn't apply to liability. Also, it shows the underinsured as "rejected", which seems to imply that all types of coverage are shown, and yet, comprehensive isn't. In fact, it appears he's paying $141 for comprehensive, yet there are no coverage limits for that aspect of the policy. Hmmm...
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2012, 03:44 PM   #13
Alex
ninjette.org dude

I think it's just the way he cut and pasted from the web page. The liability coverage costs $112, the comprehensive coverage costs $141, for a total premium of $253. He turned down UM and collision.

Old August 22nd, 2012, 03:45 PM   #14
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

You most Definatly can have comprehensive and not have collision. I know people who do this on race bikes to cover theft because most insurance won't pay collision on a timed event.

The reason it shows rejected for the uninsured part is they have to show by law that you rejected it.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2012, 04:05 PM   #15
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
you have comprehensive which means theft insurance right.

just saying.

Old August 22nd, 2012, 05:31 PM   #16
MrSavvy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post

just saying.
Haha yea... I can't do what you're implying though...

Old September 4th, 2012, 06:40 AM   #17
GreenNinja
ninjette.org guru

Name: I'm a ninja!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post

just saying.
Alex that is horrible...just saying
GreenNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2012, 07:48 AM   #18
I'm Fred
ninjette.org member

Name: Jiggles knows

Motorcycle(s): None yet :(

Just wait until Jiggles read this thread...OP will get the time of his life about his insurance
I'm Fred is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2012, 02:36 PM   #19
DennyV
ninjette.org member

Name: Dennis

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

go online to progressive... add collision coverage... wait 2 weeks... call that you collided with a pothole....
DennyV is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2012, 02:52 PM   #20
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

do you have pics of bike?

Old September 4th, 2012, 03:29 PM   #21
MrSavvy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Fred View Post
Just wait until Jiggles read this thread...OP will get the time of his life about his insurance
Haha why is that? Somehow I'm not excited to see his response...

I do have pics. I'll post one up in a min.

Last futzed with by MrSavvy; September 4th, 2012 at 09:27 PM.

Old September 5th, 2012, 05:58 AM   #22
GreenNinja
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyV View Post
go online to progressive... add collision coverage... wait 2 weeks... call that you collided with a pothole....
I'm not 100% sure if that will work. If they documented that he called already then it might get declined. I guess it doesn't hurt to try it. I don't know if there will be any repercussions if it doesn't work.

Old September 5th, 2012, 06:16 AM   #23
lgk

where are the pics?

Old September 5th, 2012, 07:34 AM   #24
MrSavvy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgk View Post
where are the pics?
Yea sorry. Turns out I don't have pics of the damage itself. I took pics at the crash itself though.

My poor baby

Old September 5th, 2012, 07:58 AM   #25
lgk

your second pic doesn't show, but the first pic doesn't look too bad actually.

Old September 5th, 2012, 08:35 AM   #26
kcaja1
ninjette.org member

Name: Ross

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R

How dare you stood there and took a photo of a lying bike? I don't think you deserve that bike!
kcaja1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2012, 08:36 AM   #27
GreenNinja
ninjette.org guru

Did the car owner come outside with a gun to your head while you were taking pics?

Old September 5th, 2012, 09:38 AM   #28
MrSavvy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcaja1 View Post
How dare you stood there and took a photo of a lying bike? I don't think you deserve that bike!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenNinja View Post
Did the car owner come outside with a gun to your head while you were taking pics?
Lol chill. I love my bike. I baby it like I do my car GTI.

The owner was outside when it happened.

I didn't take these pics, a friend did. She came over since she only lives a block away.

Me? I managed to shuffle over to the front yard and lay down. My... family jewels were swollen almost 3 times their normal size. In that second pic, see the gas tank? That fist-size dent in front of the seat? That's from my pelvis smashing the gas tank and everything inbetween.

I got Percocet from a doc and after a bunch of tests he said he wouldn't have to remove "one" and I would heal eventually. I can walk now so that's good.

Edit: I think with a new fork/front suspension, she'll be fine to drive. Idk if I can pull that dent from the tank, I might have to replace it too. Are the 250 tanks aluminum or steel?
The gas on the ground is from the overflow. The tank isn't fractured.
I'll need to buy a new cover for the front wheel (not sure what you call that plastic fairing type piece over the wheel).
I think I can actually repair the fairing damage. It isn't nearly as bad as I was afraid it would be.

Old September 5th, 2012, 09:49 AM   #29
MrSavvy
ninjette.org member

Sorry for the double post, previous post was long enough lol. Here's some afterthoughts:

Quote:
your second pic doesn't show, but the first pic doesn't look too bad actually.
As for the first pic. See the front wheel? It's pushed back aprox 6" between the front two fairings. I think that's the fork that bent not the chassis itself.
I really want to fix her and ride again. But it's still painful to just sit in a normal chair. lol

Oh and both the pics show for me.

Old September 5th, 2012, 10:03 AM   #30
lgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSavvy View Post
Sorry for the double post, previous post was long enough lol. Here's some afterthoughts:

As for the first pic. See the front wheel? It's pushed back aprox 6" between the front two fairings. I think that's the fork that bent not the chassis itself.
I really want to fix her and ride again. But it's still painful to just sit in a normal chair. lol

Oh and both the pics show for me.
if its just the forks then the fix is not that expensive.
just rebuild with a new tube and you're good to go.

i would get the emulators installed while rebuilding the forks.

Old September 5th, 2012, 10:19 AM   #31
MrSavvy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
if its just the forks then the fix is not that expensive.
just rebuild with a new tube and you're good to go.

i would get the emulators installed while rebuilding the forks.
That's the plan. I'm waiting until I'm 100% sure Progressive won't pay for the repairs. Then I'll get to work on the bike.

Old September 5th, 2012, 10:38 AM   #32
lgk

Quote:
That's the plan. I'm waiting until I'm 100% sure Progressive won't pay for the repairs. Then I'll get to work on the bike.
i would start pricing stuff now, if you did not have collision coverage they won't pay.

Old September 5th, 2012, 10:54 AM   #33
MrSavvy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
i would start pricing stuff now, if you did not have collision coverage they won't pay.
Yea... I'm in the middle of a couple mods on my car though so my wallet's a bit empty at the moment. lol

Old September 5th, 2012, 11:56 AM   #34
MrSavvy
ninjette.org member

How many of you have collision insurance on your bike/s?

I just got off the phone with Progressive and the rep told me that collision coverage on a bike is rare. I'm curious to find out if that's true or not.

Old September 5th, 2012, 11:58 AM   #35
lgk

wtf, i got collision on every vehicle i own.
any vehicle appraised more than three times the deductible should get it.

if you bought a new bike, that cost more than the appraisal then you should get the additional gap coverage.

i think you should change agents

Old September 5th, 2012, 12:09 PM   #36
MrSavvy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
wtf, i got collision on every vehicle i own.
any vehicle appraised more than three times the deductible should get it.

if you bought a new bike, that cost more than the appraisal then you should get the additional gap coverage.

i think you should change agents
Lol right? That's what I said. Who doesn't buy collision? Heck, I even have free towing and rental reimbursment on my car policy.

Oh and I'm definitely changing agents. The rep I just spoke with, a guy from the escalation dept I'm sure, was talking to me about my bike and injuries. Then he starts talking about what options I would like to add to my policy for the future.

"Duh fuq? I'm dropping Progressive if you can't repair my bike."

Which I told him. Even if they can repair it, I'm dropping them anyway. Bunch of heartless pricks.

But whatever... lesson learned... at least I wasn't paralyzed or something more serious.

Old September 5th, 2012, 12:13 PM   #37
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
But whatever... lesson learned...
But has it been really? You still seem unclear on why they aren't covering a new bike for you, and you're suggesting online that you plan to try insurance fraud to see what happens. What have you learned?

Old September 5th, 2012, 12:18 PM   #38
MrSavvy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
But has it been really? You still seem unclear on why they aren't covering a new bike for you, and you're suggesting online that you plan to try insurance fraud to see what happens. What have you learned?
Please quote me the post where I said I would attempt insurance fraud. Other members suggested that, not me.

And you're "what have you learned" question is obviously a smart aleck rhetorical question, so I won't respect you with an answer.

Old September 5th, 2012, 12:20 PM   #39
lgk

Quote:
Lol right? That's what I said. Who doesn't buy collision? Heck, I even have free towing and rental reimbursment on my car policy.

Oh and I'm definitely changing agents. The rep I just spoke with, a guy from the escalation dept I'm sure, was talking to me about my bike and injuries. Then he starts talking about what options I would like to add to my policy for the future.

"Duh fuq? I'm dropping Progressive if you can't repair my bike."

Which I told him. Even if they can repair it, I'm dropping them anyway. Bunch of heartless pricks.

But whatever... lesson learned... at least I wasn't paralyzed or something more serious.
thats the importance of reading and understanding your policy.
if you don't read what you're covered for then you really don't know what your getting.

i think you should read what you have and move on if the coverage does not have collision.
in the big scheme of things this is a cheap teachable moment.

at least your bike didn't get totalled, you can repair it.

unless you get a lawyer there's no winning this claim.

Old September 5th, 2012, 12:28 PM   #40
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Please quote me the post where I said I would attempt insurance fraud. Other members suggested that, not me.
Sure thing:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyV View Post
Dude. That's actually brilliant. Not sure if you're trolling or not, but f*** it. I might do something like that.
Of course you have since edited it, but seeing how you called Progressive right afterwards, you clearly tried it.

Quote:
And you're "what have you learned" question is obviously a smart aleck rhetorical question, so I won't respect you with an answer.
Not rhetorical. I don't think you've learned what you think you've learned, and I was genuinely curious.

Quote:
The Navy Federal rep (who also rides) said he's confident that if I contact the DMV, Progressive will have no choice but to cover all repairs on my bike.

I'll be contacting the DMV in the morning.
And what did the DMV tell you?