ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old February 7th, 2013, 04:08 PM   #1
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Ebay aftermarket carburetor diaphragm

Took the plunge and bought an aftermarket ebay diaphragm. Arrived today via UPS.

Initial thoughts: the walls are noticeably thin compared to stock. The upper lip is slightly smaller in diameter but should not affect performance.

The negatives so far:
You have to carefully remove the the "cap" that holds the diaphragm to the slide in order to install the new diaphragm. Then, of course, glue it back together. This is the reason why Stock diaphragms cost so much since it's already preassembled with slide attached.

I have not installed the new diaphragm yet. Don't have the free time just yet.

Old February 7th, 2013, 04:16 PM   #2
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Cool! Keep the link handy and keep us updated how they work out for you. I feel like that ebay seller might get some more business if those work out for you. I feel like I read about torn diaphragms once a month or so.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2013, 04:21 PM   #3
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
how does it stop the pregnancy if there is a hole in the middle!

Old February 7th, 2013, 04:23 PM   #4
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
how does it stop the pregnancy if there is a hole in the middle!
I believe these are the defective ones being remarketed for carbs.

Old February 9th, 2013, 11:47 AM   #5
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Well, I went to town on the slide. Busted out my dremel used a big bit to cut away since I couldnt find my adapter for my smaller bits. You could use a razor blade to cut through but It'll take some time but results may turn out better. Since I was just in the "goodness of research" aka just hack away, my results look boogered. You'll need to cut down 3.5-4mm at a slight angle inwards all around and gentle prying will break the seal off. Since my slide is pretty hacked up, I'll be patching it up with epoxy or gorilla glue.

Try to stay away from the slide lip as much as possible so that when you install the spring, the coils do not hang/hit the lip when it actuates.

If any of you have torn diaphragms and are willing to donate, please send them to me

pic with new diaphram on:

Notice the dimple on the cap. this, faces the slide groove/slot/whatever it's called so it'll help with orientation when you put it back together:

Last futzed with by cuong-nutz; February 11th, 2013 at 07:20 AM.
cuong-nutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2013, 07:41 PM   #6
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

It works...........so far! Need to hook up the trottle cables and go for a test spin. Manually revved the motor and I do feel it bogging but that could be just that the stock air filter was overly oiled from previous owner.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Last futzed with by cuong-nutz; February 12th, 2013 at 10:35 PM. Reason: goofed up link
cuong-nutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2013, 09:29 PM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

video link check?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2013, 10:32 AM   #8
GlassAnkles
ninjette.org member

Name: Mo

Motorcycle(s): 02 zx-12r, 13 zx-10r abs

how much were those compared to a used pair of carbs?
GlassAnkles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2013, 10:53 AM   #9
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

one diaphragm was ~$34 shipped where a set of used carbs would probably run $30 if you can find it that cheap plus shipping.

Old February 13th, 2013, 05:18 PM   #10
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
one diaphragm was ~$34 shipped where a set of used carbs would probably run $30 if you can find it that cheap plus shipping.
Complete used carbs with salvageable rubbers are a lot more than $30!
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2013, 07:57 PM   #11
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Try more like $100 shipped.

Old February 13th, 2013, 08:10 PM   #12
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Complete used carbs with salvageable rubbers are a lot more than $30!
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Try more like $100 shipped.
I was being very optimistic than realistic.

Old February 13th, 2013, 08:16 PM   #13
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Look at it this way Cuong, you saved yourself a nice bit of money by buying those aftermarket diaphragms instead of used carbs. That's a decent meal out.

Old February 13th, 2013, 08:37 PM   #14
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
I was being very optimistic than realistic.
Well, because it's so easy to tear the diaphragms and because it's cheaper to buy complete used carbs than the diaphragms alone (still expensive for a piece of rubber!), there are a glut of cheap used carbs with torn or already salvaged diaphragms on the market. You can probably find plenty of those for $30.

You might be able to find one with a single good diaphragm for some price in between, but the sellers know that all you want is the diaphragm and are probably going to try to offload the whole thing at extra expense or else they would have just sold the good diaphragm separately. It isn't smart to split them up because you just made the remaining carb parts near-worthless. Until recently, anyone with good diaphragms has good carbs.

It looks like these are still priced out of reach for restoring carbs in need of both diaphragms, but the people making them could probably start buying them up and selling refurb carbs for a healthy profit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Look at it this way Cuong, you saved yourself a nice bit of money by buying those aftermarket diaphragms instead of used carbs. That's a decent meal out.
Yep! And he also made us aware of a great new alternative to buying a whole set of good carbs just for the diaphragms.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2014, 01:48 PM   #15
baz666
ninjette.org member

Name: Baz

Motorcycle(s): 2000 EX250 Ninja

I was just talking to someone who repaired a torn diaphragm using Permatex Black Silicone. I know the stuff. It's like liquid rubber and hardens into a soft rubber-like compound.
I asked him whether it wouldn't break down into goop again when exposed to gasoline and clog up the carb passages? He says he's run his suzuki like that for a season with no problem. Somehow I'm skeptical but tempted since a tube of that black silicone is 7 or 8 bucks.
baz666 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2014, 02:03 PM   #16
Ducati999

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

I have repaired a few diaphragms in the past with good results. The back side does not see much more than slight fuel vapor and does not seem to cause the permatex to break down. I did 2 on my 86 FZ750 (were torn when I bought it) and rode that bike for 3-4 years and even cleaned them with carb cleaner. The bigger the tear the less likely the repair will stay or not cause performance issues. Small holes and rips will easily be repaired with just a thin film after you clean the diaphragm really well with alcohol or carb cleaner. Do not soak these rubber parts in carb cleaner some of them will expand to over twice their original size! Just wipe them with a damp cloth till clean and allow to dry in direct sunlight if possible (just for a few mins) then apply the permatex using as little as possible and let that dry then reinstall and ride.
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2014, 05:05 PM   #17
baz666
ninjette.org member

Name: Baz

Motorcycle(s): 2000 EX250 Ninja

Glad it worked out for you so well. Unfortunately, one of the tears goes about a quarter way around the rubber and there are a few small pieces of the rubber missing. one hole is about 1/4" wide. I tried using the silicone but had to use it on both sides to fill the hole and I think it's just too big. But it appears a fellow ninjette owner has a slider and diaphragm for sale a fair bit below the retail price.
Gotta love these forums.
thanks,
Baz
baz666 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2014, 04:17 AM   #18
Ducati999

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz666 View Post
Glad it worked out for you so well. Unfortunately, one of the tears goes about a quarter way around the rubber and there are a few small pieces of the rubber missing. one hole is about 1/4" wide. I tried using the silicone but had to use it on both sides to fill the hole and I think it's just too big. But it appears a fellow ninjette owner has a slider and diaphragm for sale a fair bit below the retail price.
Gotta love these forums.
thanks,
Baz

I agree with you. You have a tear that is way too big to properly repair. Even if you could get it to seal it would never flex the way it was designed to do. You have chosen the only proper solution which is replacement. I am not a writer but I am a mechanic, so I know what to do but I am not great at getting those ideas across to people. My post stated that the larger the tear the less likely the repair will work. Good luck.
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote