ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old January 20th, 2011, 01:27 PM   #1
Darling Ninja
ninjette.org guru

Name: Annette

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 ABS

Registering my Ninjette as salvaged

What a pain in the butt. It took me 5 tries to get someone from the DMV on the phone. Anyway, here's what I need to do. Ugh.

1. Brake and light inspection (can be done at a smog station)
2. CHP VIN verification
3. Go to DMV surrender license plate
4. Pay $119 to register it as salvaged

Why can't it be easier? Apparently, I can still ride it because the registration is current and doesn't expire 'til April. However, I need to get this salvaged thing out of the way.

This is what I get for crashing my bike and totaling it. Lesson learned.

Old January 20th, 2011, 02:37 PM   #2
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

You rebuilt it, and now trying to re-register it?

I remember having to take the vehicle to CHP office. They signed off, dmv would register.
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2011, 02:54 PM   #3
Darling Ninja
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKr1 View Post
You rebuilt it, and now trying to re-register it?

I remember having to take the vehicle to CHP office. They signed off, dmv would register.
All it needed was new turn signals which I've replaced since the crash. The rest of the bike is OK just cosmetic damages. My insurance company said it was totaled because the bike isn't worth that much to begin with.

Old January 20th, 2011, 04:57 PM   #4
wyckedflesh
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mikel

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue Kawasaki KLE650 Versys, '95 Ducati 900SS/CR (undergoing track conversion)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darling Ninja View Post
All it needed was new turn signals which I've replaced since the crash. The rest of the bike is OK just cosmetic damages. My insurance company said it was totaled because the bike isn't worth that much to begin with.
Are you sure its listed as "Totaled" and that the insurance company didn't just sign it off as "paid loss" instead?

If the insurance Company didn't make you turn the title over to them, there is a VERY strong chance the bike has not been listed as Salvage.

Old January 20th, 2011, 05:34 PM   #5
Darling Ninja
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyckedflesh View Post
Are you sure its listed as "Totaled" and that the insurance company didn't just sign it off as "paid loss" instead?

If the insurance Company didn't make you turn the title over to them, there is a VERY strong chance the bike has not been listed as Salvage.
Yes, definitely listed as totaled. I bought it back from my insurance for like $500. I wanted to keep it because I still want to ride it.

Old January 20th, 2011, 06:45 PM   #6
wyckedflesh
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mikel

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue Kawasaki KLE650 Versys, '95 Ducati 900SS/CR (undergoing track conversion)

Quote:
Yes, definitely listed as totaled. I bought it back from my insurance for like $500. I wanted to keep it because I still want to ride it.
Was there any title work involved, IE: you had to sign the title over to them, then get a Salvage title back? If you still have the original Title as well as not being reimbursed for your registration, the bike may not be listed as a Salvage vehicle by the State. It would be a good idea to make sure before you go through all this trouble AND additional expense if you do not have to. It has been my experience that if they do not do the actual title transfer to the insurance company and then a salvage title back to you, say they just deduct the Salvage cost from what they pay you, they don't always notify the state it is a salvage vehicle.

Happens mostly with motorcycles more often then cars.

Old January 20th, 2011, 06:56 PM   #7
scotty
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): Yahama v star 650 classic

Sorry to hear about the wreck!

Old January 20th, 2011, 07:18 PM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

What a pain! Here's what's laid out on the DMV site with the steps they require, and it sounds pretty close to what they told you over the phone:

http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr13.htm

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2011, 08:21 AM   #9
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Yeah, that's why I went through the trouble I did to keep a clean title on my bike last year after I got hit by the Toyota truck. I settled for slightly less on property damage (the bike was technically totaled) so that I could keep the title clean. This meant I had the bike fixed in a week, was settled out in three weeks, and as far as the title is concerned the wreck never happened.

Getting a salvaged vehicle titled back for street use in Texas is about as much of a PITA as it is there.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 22nd, 2011, 07:09 PM   #10
heylookitsfranco
ninjette.org member

Name: Franco

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2006 Ninja 636

dude I feel for ya. same thing happened to me, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. can hardly ride anyway 'cause it's so cold
heylookitsfranco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2011, 10:13 AM   #11
Darling Ninja
ninjette.org guru

I'm almost done with the whole process. This morning I went to the CHP station to get the VIN verification, and over the weekend I did the brake and light inspection which was $50. Now all I have to do is take is make an appointment to go to the DMV and surrender my license plate and pay even more fees.

It's starting to get warmer over here in Cali, so I'm trying to get this over with so that I can ride without this hanging over my head.

Old January 26th, 2011, 12:15 PM   #12
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

yes doll, take care of it so we can go riding together

Old January 26th, 2011, 12:34 PM   #13
Live2ride

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

How did you crash? If I just laid a bike down (not getting in a 2 person crash or actually totaling the bike) I would never tell my insurance company if all I had to do was replace the turn signals. If you just laid the bike over then idk why you even told them, just seems like much more of a hassle to me. Goodluck with the title though, hope you can ride soon.

Old January 26th, 2011, 06:03 PM   #14
Darling Ninja
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2ride View Post
How did you crash? If I just laid a bike down (not getting in a 2 person crash or actually totaling the bike) I would never tell my insurance company if all I had to do was replace the turn signals. If you just laid the bike over then idk why you even told them, just seems like much more of a hassle to me. Goodluck with the title though, hope you can ride soon.
I hit an SUV's brake light with my clutch. My bike tipped over and the turn signals broke. The cops came out, so there is a police report. Insurance companies were notified. The crash was at a very low speed and there were only cosmetic damages, but the insurance companies were quick to deem it totaled because the plastics are worth more than the bike.

Old January 26th, 2011, 06:24 PM   #15
Powerlogix
ninjette.org member

Name: Binh

Motorcycle(s): 2010 ninja 250

Quote:
I hit an SUV's brake light with my clutch. My bike tipped over and the turn signals broke. The cops came out, so there is a police report. Insurance companies were notified. The crash was at a very low speed and there were only cosmetic damages, but the insurance companies were quick to deem it totaled because the plastics are worth more than the bike.
Sucks that happen to you. Hopefully you resolve everything soon.
Powerlogix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2011, 06:33 PM   #16
Live2ride

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

Quote:
Gotcha