ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old April 23rd, 2010, 04:55 PM   #1
Thrak
ninjette.org member

Name: None

Motorcycle(s): Lots

Rear set riser plate supports

I've got this set of plates, that I've seen other people with, and I've heard stories of them getting stress factures and tearing. My bike is track only, so this may not apply to street bikes, however the flat metal fit under the exhaust bracket w/o any major problems.

They go from the top rear set bolt, to the bottom passenger peg mount. It significantly reduced the 'inside-outside' flex, while at the same time preventing it from flexing downward under your weight.

If you look in the 2nd pic you can see the stress facture already starting in the upper corner of the plate (going toward the milled 'S').

Hopefully these will allow me to postpone buying real rearsets for a while.

Anyway, thought you might find this interesting and/or helpful.
Thrak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2010, 12:29 AM   #2
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I've been scared to modify Buell pegs or install unproven adjuster plates because I weigh a lot and routinely put all my weight on the pegs when I ride over dips, bumps, and debris. I can only imagine what would happen if they gave out on me while at speed and standing! Now, you've given mejustification for being cautious. It really can happen!
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2010, 07:13 PM   #3
Locksmiff
ninjette.org member

Name: Darryl

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja ZX-6R

It makes me wonder now how a set of rear sets would go, seeing as they have a multitude of holes through them.
Locksmiff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2010, 07:42 PM   #4
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Also makes me wonder about the compositional quality of both rearset adjusters and aftermarket rearsets. The ones you've got appear to be significantly thick, but are still stress-fracturing, no doubt in part to all the missing material from their logo. Seems like poor design. Or do they just think that no-one actually stands on their pegs or weighs more than 180lbs?

Old April 25th, 2010, 08:41 PM   #5
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I like your modification well enough that I want to see a set engineered with it from the start. The company that does this will get my money. Where did you get these?

Old April 26th, 2010, 02:47 AM   #6
Thrak
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Where did you get these?
Get the supports? Its just cheap flat aluminum from Home Depot that I measured, drilled, and cut to the size I needed.

Interestingly enough, the exhaust side is a different length. Weird!

Yeah, the logo cut into it is definitely the culprit, however even if it was solid I can still see this happening. The logo just makes it happen that much quicker. And to be honest, to see some of the ones coming out of asia (that are sold on this site), and knowing how asia likes to say they use 1 material when they actually use another (why do you think its so cheap?), I'd be very weary of the rear sets with lots of holes in them. They may be fine for 120lb, but not 180lb.

Last futzed with by Thrak; April 26th, 2010 at 04:42 AM.

Old April 26th, 2010, 10:16 AM   #7
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Much less, 250lbs

Anyway, I was asking about where you got these "Jimss" riser plates because I never saw a thread. There was the Cycle Control product and the Shinto ones, but I never saw these even though you say that this is a known problem with them (implies a previous discussion).

Google... here I come.

Old April 26th, 2010, 10:55 AM   #8
Thrak
ninjette.org member

dunno if you'll find anything online... I just learned about the issue from talking with people around here and upon inspecting mine noticed the beginning of the crack

Not sure if other rear set risers have this issue or not, but it wouldnt be a bad idea to provide the extra support. I think it cost me like $4 total.

Old April 26th, 2010, 02:08 PM   #9
CZroe
CPT Falcon

You're right... Google has failed me. Well, I'm from "around there" (Newnan, GA) and still have family there who can help. Where should I have them look? I'm curious to see what other hidden 250 parts may be available.

Old April 26th, 2010, 03:57 PM   #10
Thrak
ninjette.org member

http://www.superbikeconnection.com/forums/ is the 'unofficial' home of the E-SS WERA Class in the SE. Got these plates from a member there, who has sold them to quite a few others. Not sure who "Jim" is, but I think he's a private machine shop.

Hopefully, linking to another forum isnt taboo here.

Lots of info and possible proposed class rule changes for next year too.

Old April 29th, 2010, 11:30 AM   #11
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Thanks