I'd replace/repair the originals and have them sprayed 8 44.44%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 9th, 2011, 10:52 AM   #1
TeamGreen
ninjette.org member

Name: Keven

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250 Green, 00 R6

Ebay Fairings

Short version: Would you buy the ebay fairing sets for about 500 shipped?

Long version:
I bought the bike with some cosmetic issues for a good deal and figured I could live with some battle scars while I learned to ride. Recently I've been having the itch for a new bike but...
1) can't really afford it right now anyway 2) I realize it will serve me well to keep this one.

So, i'm going to just make it a bit better looking to keep me interested. I have some sort of imperfection on nearly every fairing piece. The worst is the right side, pretty cracked. Fender is also cracked but not real obvious. The headlight surround has some scuffs from the previous owner too. The rest of the pieces has some scraped/chipped paint.

So as I see it my options are to buy the whole kit for what seems like a pretty good deal considering what it costs to have things painted, or buy the parts i need used oem and have everything painted.
Some people say they don't fit well, others seem pretty satisfied. I'm willing to take time and make some fit modifications if needed but I just worry they will be really crappy.
I've read all the threads here I could find but if anyone has any first hand experience please offer your insight.

Also, I am on a bit of budget because I don't want to dump a ton of money into it. I'd like to not take too big of a hit when I decide to sell.
TeamGreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2011, 11:07 AM   #2
kkim

I wouldn't. Most times, you get what you pay for... and most likely the cheap fairings will come back to bite you from poor workmanship/product quality sometime down the road.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2011, 11:09 AM   #3
Scarmack
ninjette.org member

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

I use to race pitbike, and would explode plastics 3-4 a season. Not going to spend 200-300 for a complete set when I could get some for 80-90. BUT. Thats racing. **** breaks. Unless you plan on going through a lot of fairings, I'd suck it up and buy the real stuff. Shouldn't be wrecking anyways.
Scarmack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2011, 11:13 AM   #4
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
It would depend on the merchant. There are some good sellers on ebay (mcmotorcycleparts, who is the US distributor for Evotech products comes to mind) but more bad ones than I'd care to count. Without direct feedback from someone who bought the fairings and knows enough about things technically to give an informed opinion, I'd be VERY wary. Your report of mixed reviews would make me very nervous -- inconsistent product quality is the hallmark of a bad manufacturer. Saving up for good quality you will be happy with is better than blowing $500 on something that will, over time, bug you because the fit isn't quite right.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2011, 02:16 PM   #5
scotty
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): Yahama v star 650 classic

Those Ebay fairing kits are cheaply made. I have seen where people have said they don't fit right onto the bike, but if you buy like a complete race fairing set,(Hot bodies for example), they are worth the price. If you just want to repair it to just ride around town, try finding used fairings on Ebay.

Old March 9th, 2011, 04:07 PM   #6
TeamGreen
ninjette.org member

After reading around online it seems some people have luck with certain sellers. I've contacted a few people who bought the kits recently to see what they thought. Got one reponse so far:

Paint looks great not factory quality but very nice. Real smooth clear coat. Fit seams to be exact except for the solo seat cowl. But it was free and i wasnt expecting it. Very good communication. Also check on your bike first to see if it includes a tank cover. Our bike has a painted metal so it did not include the tank only tge fairings. But all in all i would buy more. Hope thos helps!! The guys there are great!!!

We'll see, unfortunately theres not much around that's used. My right fairing is not worth repairing. On to more reading...

Old March 9th, 2011, 05:07 PM   #7
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

Who was the seller of that kit that got that reply?
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2011, 05:12 PM   #8
TeamGreen
ninjette.org member

This one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Green...item4156f06e00

The current ebay coupon makes it $485.10 shipped..

Old March 9th, 2011, 08:29 PM   #9
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

The eBay fairings do nothing for your tank (no tank cover fairing) and will probably not match any factory color.

I'm assuming that they don't match any factory color because they have absolutely no information as to WHAT "blue" or "red" or whatever they are selling you, which they would make sure to say if they bothered. I even asked and they never replied. Their pictures show the tank color changing with the colors that Kawi doesn't even offer (yellow, for example) and they out-right say that you can switch colors easily with their kits, which is an out-right lie if you can't switch the tank with their kit. Why they don't make a tank cover fairing so that it can be a real selling point is beyond me. Perhaps Sportisi could make one that doesn't change the style (their current one has ridges).
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2011, 11:15 PM   #10
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

Which panels on your bike are damaged? You can get brand new painted OEM side fairings for under $300 each.

Old March 10th, 2011, 09:37 AM   #11
TeamGreen
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reswob View Post
Which panels on your bike are damaged? You can get brand new painted OEM side fairings for under $300 each.
They've all got something wrong. The worst being the right side, front fender and headlight surround. I dont think brand new is the way to go for me. If i stay oem i'll try to find some used rashed ones to have painted along with the usable ones from my bike.

Old March 10th, 2011, 10:06 AM   #12
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by austexjg View Post
Who was the seller of that kit that got that reply?
And did he buy a 250 kit?
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2011, 01:21 PM   #13
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarmack View Post
I use to race pitbike, and would explode plastics 3-4 a season. Not going to spend 200-300 for a complete set when I could get some for 80-90. BUT. Thats racing. **** breaks. Unless you plan on going through a lot of fairings, I'd suck it up and buy the real stuff. Shouldn't be wrecking anyways.
GO NAKED! especially in the day of sliders and lay-down bars etc.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2011, 03:01 PM   #14
maraci
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Green Ninja 250r

Interesting thread. I pretty much have the same history with my bike; bought it cheap because the right and front fairings where a bit cracked up and I don't really mind since it's my first bike and i'm still new to riding.
Now though I want to fix them/get a new set/paint them a different color. I was looking at the same seller but I am still very skeptical with the quality I would get and am wary of pulling the trigger on a purchase like this...
maraci is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2011, 03:18 PM   #15
TeamGreen
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
And did he buy a 250 kit?
Yeah the buyer I contacted bought a purple 250 kit and said he was going to paint the tank.

Edit: nice, Some votes for "i'd chance it"... because i'm thinking about it...