ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old November 5th, 2013, 02:07 PM   #1
Christofini
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

Blown gasket?

Hey all,

so this weekend I completely tore down my bike to install LED blinkers, fluid changes and a new brake line. Upon draining the coolant I see this:

Now, I bought my bike just over a year ago and never touched the coolant. The PO said he had changed fluids just before putting it up for sale. My service manual asks for a coolant change every 2 years.

This year I discovered the bike was completely neglected by the PO. He hadn't done any scheduled maintenance and just changed oil occasionally. I had to replace a rusty chain (it was painted over when I bought it...), and general maintenance. I reckon it's never been changed in it's short 6 year lifespan.

After seeing on Facebook that it could be a blown gasket - I called my mechanic. He says it's likely, though he's never seen coolant that old.

My questions are:

Is there a dark green coolant? Can it even get that dirty over the years, riding in the rain and cold? PO had it sitting outside - can it get contaminated? Has anyone else seen 6 year old coolant before?

Is this indication of a blown gasket? The coolant had no oil in it from what I could tell...I figured it'd settle at the top or bottom. It's done neither. The oil didn't seem to have any coolant in it either. I poured it into a pan tonight and will check it tomorrow morning (yes, I keep my old oil :P)

It DOES have more oil in it than when I filled it up. I (accidentally) filled it to the top line of the sight glass. My dad sucks at reading it lol. I'm draining some today to see if it fills up again tomorrow.

It's my only means of transport so if I have a blown gasket I'd have to get it replaced ASAP. What do you guys think?
Christofini is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2013, 02:40 PM   #2
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

The OEM coolant is very dark compared to other "green colored" coolants. If all other indicators of a blown gasket do not exist, I wouldn't worry about it. Just flush both the reservoir and radiator really good and refill with a suitable replacement.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2013, 02:50 PM   #3
Christofini
ninjette.org member

That's a huge relief. I'm attributing the high oil levels to my inexperience in changing oil. It was the first time I had ever done it (12000 and 16000 maintenance in the shop changed it, as well as a sensor breaking at 14000, they keep giving me free oil changes lol) so I probably botched the job. The bike itself feels fine, it keeps its operating temperature steady in about 29-32 degree Celsius.

Do you happen to know how OEM coolant looks? Just so I have something to compare to.

Many thanks I'll still keep an eye on it though...

Edit: Didn't see the photos in your post until I logged in to reply...it does look quite similar to mine, considering mine's been sitting for 6.5 years.

Old November 5th, 2013, 03:22 PM   #4
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
That don't look so hot!

I think I'd fill with plain water, run for a minute, drain, and repeat until it came out clear.

If you get antifreeze concentrate (vs pre-diluted) don't add regular tap water - mix with cheap filtered bottled drinking water. Filtered drinking water is less aggressive on aluminum than distilled or deionized water, and doesn't have the minerals or salts that that can cause deposits like regular tap water.

After getting all of the bubbles out and making sure the level is correct in the radiator and overflow bottle, keep an eye on the color and level to determine if there is a problem. If the gasket is blown you would see white water vapor in the exhaust and a dropping level of coolant in the bottle.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2013, 03:35 PM   #5
Christofini
ninjette.org member

I completely flushed the coolant. Put in some 50/50 bright yellow coolant that says it's good for aluminum engines. I didn't notice any drop in coolant level, and my old coolant was still at the "cold" line when cold.

I'm super paranoid about things going wrong nowadays after having so many issues during the summer. Guess I don't need to worry too much after all.

Old November 5th, 2013, 07:51 PM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christofini View Post
Hey all,

so this weekend I completely tore down my bike to install LED blinkers, fluid changes and a new brake line. Upon draining the coolant I see this:
Any chance for the previous owner replacing the coolant by Malaga wine?

Just relax and service and enjoy your bike !!!
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2013, 10:48 AM   #7
Christofini
ninjette.org member

Yeah...wouldn't put it past him. He really did a number on this bike! He worked in a dealership as well...Gotta say its great fun to repair it, although expensive.