Notices

Old November 5th, 2017, 03:20 PM   #1
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Akima's Most Totally Awesome Ninja 250R

I took these photos recently to put on an ad to sell my bike. Other than the ad I posted here, I haven't been able to bring myself to put a proper advert up for it. I don't actually need this bike anymore and it's not practical having 2 bikes, but it's hard to let go of this thing.

The famous FI light and temp gauge on a 250R!

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old November 6th, 2017, 07:27 AM   #2
taz
????????????????

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250, 14 ninja 300, 09 1125CR

MOTM - May '17
good luck with sale
taz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 6th, 2017, 07:34 AM   #3
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
...and it's not practical having 2 bikes, but it's hard to let go of this thing.
It's sure nice to have two when one is off the road for maintenance. I guess it depends on how much insurance costs, and whether you have room to store it.
Triple Jim is online now   Reply With Quote

Old November 6th, 2017, 06:06 PM   #4
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Thanks taz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
It's sure nice to have two when one is off the road for maintenance. I guess it depends on how much insurance costs, and whether you have room to store it.
I have a car too, so sadly I can't use that excuse to shut-up the practical part of my brain which is telling me "sell the damn bike you overly sentimental twit".

MOT and insurance isn't too expensive on this thing.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 7th, 2017, 02:48 PM   #5
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
slick ride, squirrel

Old November 7th, 2017, 04:04 PM   #6
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
I have a car too, so sadly I can't use that excuse to shut-up the practical part of my brain which is telling me "sell the damn bike you overly sentimental twit".
I have a couple cars I can drive, I just hate doing it. Therefore, multiple motorcycles are necessary.

Old November 7th, 2017, 06:03 PM   #7
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Thanks Alex! (bet you're totally jealous of the plastics. Owning fairings on a ninja 250R must be a distant and fading memory for you )

Quote:
I have a couple cars I can drive, I just hate doing it. Therefore, multiple motorcycles are necessary.
"necessary"

Do you have different types of motorcycle? eg a long distance machine, a fast machine, a track machine, a dirt machine etc etc. Or do your bikes overlap with each other so you could technically do without 1 or more of them.

The bike I've chosen for my next bike serves pretty much the same purpose as my ninja 250R: a sporty road bike to use for travelling around and also just having fun.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old November 7th, 2017, 06:46 PM   #8
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
"necessary"

Do you have different types of motorcycle? eg a long distance machine, a fast machine, a track machine, a dirt machine etc etc. Or do your bikes overlap with each other so you could technically do without 1 or more of them.
Let's see...

1972 Kawasaki H2: My first motorcycle, bought in 1978. I'm attached to it enough that I'll never sell it. I've made numerous mods, including major engine improvements, so it's pretty fast, even by today's standards, and handles quite well.

1978 Yamaha DT100: Given to me as a non-running junker a few years ago, engine and transmission rebuilt and chassis set up (greatly modified) for things like the Dragon and supermoto tracks. Hugely fun, top speed currently around 65-70.

1986 Honda XR250R: Dirt bike that was given to me non-running and needs some work, but it seems to be all minor stuff like rear shock, kick stand bracket, and a new seat, so I should have a dirt bike sometime soon.

1989 Moto Guzzi Mille GT: Bought a few years ago just so I could try something different from the H2. Not particularly fast, but fast enough. I've enjoyed longer trips on it, mainly because it gets over 50 mpg (US) and has a 6 gallon tank. It's fun because no one knows what it is, even when they read the name on the tank. Shaft drive is nice.

2005 Ninja 250: Bought so my daughter would have something to ride when she got her motorcycle endorsement. I discovered that it's very fun, and enjoy riding it at least as much as she does. It is a blast on the Dragon

So not much overlap at all. I'm thinking of getting a Yamaha FZ-07, and depending on things, it's possible it might replace the Guzzi for more power, less weight, and more fun in the twisties. I really don't want more motorcycles in the garage at this point.

Last futzed with by Triple Jim; November 7th, 2017 at 08:29 PM.

Old November 7th, 2017, 07:03 PM   #9
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
^ awesome post! Love the bike list. They all sound very unique.

Quote:
So not much overlap at all. I'm thinking of getting a Yamaha FZ-07, and depending on things, it's possible it might replace the Guzzi for more power, less weight, and more fun in the twisties. I really don't want more motorcycles in the garage as this point.
coincidence. I'm getting a Yami FZ-07 for my next bike. Over here they call it an MT-07 though. I test rode one during the summer and fell in love. It's more comfortable than my 250R, sounds incredible, and feels insanely torquey compared to anything i've ever been in/on (car or bike). It was a challenge for me to feel planted on the bike when I gave it a lot of throttle. Soooo, much fun. I was laughing quite a bit during the ride.

My 250R is better than the MT-07 in some ways though. My 250R feels so much more stable in corners. Also: I accidentally scraped the peg on the MT-07 on a road I was very familiar riding on my 250R. The 250R would be no where near scraping anything on that same corner, so I get the sense the MT-07 can't lean over as far. Also: the suspension on the MT-07 felt nice and riding was very comfortable, but it also felt a bit spongy. Having test ridden a few bikes recently, I've come to appreciate the suspension and planted feeling that the 250R gives me in the corners. It corners better than all the other bikes I've ridden (I haven't ridden that many).

Old November 7th, 2017, 07:30 PM   #10
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
^ awesome post! Love the bike list. They all sound very unique.
Thanks. It seems like they just sort of appeared, one at a time.

Quote:
...I get the sense the MT-07 can't lean over as far.
I hadn't heard that about the Fizz-7 (MT-07). In fact I read it doesn't scrape a peg until 49 degrees. Is it possible the one you rode was lowered? Or maybe you just enjoyed it more than you thought you were enjoying it.

Old November 7th, 2017, 10:11 PM   #11
algs26
ninjette.org guru

Name: al

Motorcycle(s): ex300, gave up looking for a 250

Have you tried the SV650? I think it might feel more stable.

The FZ feels like you’re flying. You glance down and all you see is the road. It’s super light too.

The mph and kph aren’t swapped over there?
algs26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2017, 05:20 AM   #12
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
I hadn't heard that about the Fizz-7 (MT-07). In fact I read it doesn't scrape a peg until 49 degrees. Is it possible the one you rode was lowered? Or maybe you just enjoyed it more than you thought you were enjoying it.
Pretty sure it wasn't lowered.

After writing my last post I actually started questioning myself about how fast I rode it. It's possible I was riding the Yami faster than I thought. Supportive evidence of that, is that when I got back on my 250R after riding the Yami, my 250R felt slower than it had ever felt to me, suggesting that I had got used to the extra speed. Riding faster = more lean.

If I was riding faster, it didn't feel dangerous. I felt very in control and practised getting hard on the breaks a few time, so was able to stop quickly.

So... what you read is probably true. The MT-07 lean angle is probably great and I was probably being a bit to enthusiastic with the test bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by algs26 View Post
Have you tried the SV650? I think it might feel more stable.

The FZ feels like you’re flying. You glance down and all you see is the road. It’s super light too.

The mph and kph aren’t swapped over there?
I haven't tried the SV650. It doesn't appeal to me as much as the MT-07. It looks longer and heavier. I've been on an SV650 as a pillion and it feels heavier. Stable, but heavier. I also much prefer the styling of the MT-07.

Oh yeah; I think a big reason why I loved the MT-07 is just how light it felt. It's a bit like the Ninja 250R experience but with an engine bigger than my car has (I'm not kidding; my car is 600CC ).

We use MPH over here, but most dash boards also show KMPH, but in a smaller font.

Old November 8th, 2017, 06:19 AM   #13
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
...I'm not kidding; my car is 600CC ).
Cool, what is it?

Old November 8th, 2017, 07:35 AM   #14
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Cool, what is it?
The original smart car. It has a turbo built-into it as standard to help you not-die when trying to join motorways (I think Americans call them "highways")

In seriousness, it actually goes ok. It's so light. I'm gentle driving it though, because it's over 17 years old now.

Old November 8th, 2017, 08:18 AM   #15
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
The original smart car. It has a turbo built-into it as standard to help you not-die when trying to join motorways (I think Americans call them "highways")

In seriousness, it actually goes ok. It's so light. I'm gentle driving it though, because it's over 17 years old now.
Oh, I guess I've never looked at the specs for those. I need to do that.

Old November 8th, 2017, 09:04 AM   #16
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Oh, I guess I've never looked at the specs for those. I need to do that.
Mine is first generation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_...2.80.932007.29

The "Engines" section says: it "came in three versions 45 hp (33 kW), 51 hp (38 kW) and 61 hp (45 kW)". Not sure which mine is.

Old November 8th, 2017, 09:07 AM   #17
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Thanks, I read that article as soon as finished my last post. Interesting cars for sure.

Old November 8th, 2017, 09:16 AM   #18
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Ha ha, wow. Do you like to collect general knowledge about vehicles?

Old November 8th, 2017, 09:40 AM   #19
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Ha ha, wow. Do you like to collect general knowledge about vehicles?
I guess I like to learn about interesting things in general, when I have a chance. I lived through a long period in which if I wanted to know something, I had to make a phone call to the manufacturer to ask for a spec sheet and wait for it to arrive in the mail, or go to the public library and try to find some reasonably current information, spending an hour or two in the process. With the Internet available now, I can do in a few minutes what it used to take hours or days to do. I really enjoy taking advantage of that ability.

Old November 8th, 2017, 01:46 PM   #20
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
I guess I like to learn about interesting things in general, when I have a chance. I lived through a long period in which if I wanted to know something, I had to make a phone call to the manufacturer to ask for a spec sheet and wait for it to arrive in the mail, or go to the public library and try to find some reasonably current information, spending an hour or two in the process. With the Internet available now, I can do in a few minutes what it used to take hours or days to do. I really enjoy taking advantage of that ability.
Cool. The Internet is awesome. I've never experienced that spec-sheet-by-mail + library + phone calls world. I appreciate the Internet a lot and wouldn't want to live in a world without it.

Old November 8th, 2017, 02:18 PM   #21
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

In my early years as an engineer, if I needed a company's catalog, I'd phone their sales department and ask for one, and if I gave them enough BS about the thousands of parts I was going to buy, I could sometimes get them to overnight it to me. That was best case. Now I download a PDF file of the catalog in about 38 seconds and I don't have to store a big paper one in my file cabinet.

Buying things by "mail order" was non-fun too. If you go back enough years, no one took credit cards, so I'd mail a check, and if I was lucky it wouldn't take a whole month for the items to arrive.

Old November 8th, 2017, 02:39 PM   #22
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Professionally most of my work is with computers, so the type of delays I'm used to are mostly under a second For me, a long delay is an operation that takes between 10 minutes and an hour.

I guess even engineers now don't have such long waits because so much engineering is performed inside computer simulations.

Old November 8th, 2017, 03:38 PM   #23
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Years ago I wrote an AutoLISP program to graph a few thousand data points that I was regularly collecting with a data recorder, during testing for the product I was working on. It took about 15 minutes to plot all the points and draw the lines, running on my 8 MHz XT clone. I bought a 33 MHz 486DX and it dropped to 15 seconds. That seemed unbelievably fast for about a day or so, and then I was impatiently waiting for that 15 second delay every time I ran it.

Old November 8th, 2017, 08:31 PM   #24
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
We drove a Smart car a couple of years ago. Liked the electric version, didn't like the gas as much. Don't think there was a turbo, just the normal engine.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2017, 04:23 AM   #25
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Ah cool, you tried an electric one. I think smart cars are well suited to being turned into all-electrics. I'm looking forward to seeing more electric cars about. I'm not really looking forward to the driver-less cars thing which seems to be happening in tandem with the switch to electric.

I don't think most petrol (AKA gas) smart cars have turbos. They started putting bigger engines in them at some point so it wasn't necessary for them to include one. The engine is so tiny in mine that it actually *needs* a turbo. Without it, it wouldn't really be safe for use on high speed roads.

Old November 9th, 2017, 11:16 AM   #26
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
The electric drove really well. Low center of gravity, power, no problem. We didn't end up buying it (we bought a Spark) but I'm glad we drove it.

I'm not sure what I think of driverless cars. On the one hand, cool, and has potential to eliminate DUI problems. On the other hand, what fun is it to let the car drive all the time? could see it being good for commuters, I guess.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2017, 05:25 PM   #27
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Sorry squirrel, I fat fingered the down instead of up

Old November 11th, 2017, 07:57 AM   #28
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
lol, it's ok. I see you have upvoted all my other posts in this thread to make up for it