ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 6th, 2015, 07:28 PM   #1
Jasonm163
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Ninja 300 ABS

Hard time going to N

So I was riding around my parking lot and I suddenly had a hard time getting the bike into neutral. So I turned it off and back on and finally got into neutral. So I went to park it in my parking spot and whenever I went to neutral again it wouldn't go, just stayed in first once again and I couldn't get it to go. Parked the bike and spent ten minutes trying to get it into neutral.

Never really had a problem before. The bike was dropped once at 0 mph but on the right side and only on the peg and handle bar (caught the bike for the most part)

Just wondering what's going on since I'm pretty new and want to get this fixed. Not too confident when coming to a stop and balancing yet so I prefer to be in neutral so I don't have to worry about a stall (how I dropped the bike the first time)
Jasonm163 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2015, 07:33 PM   #2
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
you can balance with your hand on the clutch so you don't really need neutral...pretty much ever

that's odd though, these bikes are usually pretty good about finding neutral. Could be a clutch or transmission issue but I'm not sure. You could also be using too much force on the shifter

Old August 6th, 2015, 10:51 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Something isn't making sense. What gear are you in when you can't get into neutral? These bikes have a neutral-finder feature making it impossible to go into any gear other than neutral when you shift up from first, unless the bike is moving a certain speed already.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old August 7th, 2015, 03:25 AM   #4
Jasonm163
ninjette.org member

Just cruising in first gear, I'll pull in the clutch and go up a half click to try and get into neutral and it's like it won't engage sometimes. It feels like it went into neutral but the light on the gauge won't come on and if I proceed to let the clutch out a little it will still move forward. Get what I mean?

Old August 7th, 2015, 03:46 AM   #5
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonm163 View Post
Just cruising in first gear, I'll pull in the clutch and go up a half click to try and get into neutral and it's like it won't engage sometimes. It feels like it went into neutral but the light on the gauge won't come on and if I proceed to let the clutch out a little it will still move forward. Get what I mean?
If you shift down to first and stop then pull up on the lever, will it go to neutral? Can you shift through all the other gears?

Like Sirref already said, you should just be holding the clutch in first for stops anyway unless it's going to be a long time really.

Why are you trying to find neutral while you're moving?
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2015, 03:52 AM   #6
Jasonm163
ninjette.org member

I was only trying to go from neutral to first a few times while riding around my parking lot to practice moving the lever since I'm very new to bikes. I signed up for the msf class but its not till mid september so I've been having a hard time just staring at my bike till then. I know in normal situations you dont ride around and go to neutr while cruising. But my very small parking lot is just about too small to even get into second is why I was using neutral

Old August 7th, 2015, 04:29 AM   #7
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

Quote:
I was only trying to go from neutral to first a few times while riding around my parking lot to practice moving the lever since I'm very new to bikes. I signed up for the msf class but its not till mid september so I've been having a hard time just staring at my bike till then. I know in normal situations you dont ride around and go to neutr while cruising. But my very small parking lot is just about too small to even get into second is why I was using neutral
The lot isn't too small. The bike will start in third and you can go into second gear about 10 miliseconds after you get moving in first.
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2015, 04:44 AM   #8
Jasonm163
ninjette.org member

Ah okay I will go ahead and try that soon. I guess I was thinking since you can go 30 nearly in first that getting into second or third going 10 wouldn't be a good idea but ill go ahead.

Old August 7th, 2015, 06:00 AM   #9
rgx107
ninjette.org member

Name: Rolf

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

If it helps, I have the same experience, it's difficult to find neutral unless the bike is standing still. But as has been said, you will always be in gear when moving anyway. Try to end up in first or second when stopping, because it's difficult to change several gears (i.e. from third to first) when standing still. So what you describe sounds perfectly normal.
rgx107 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 7th, 2015, 06:10 AM   #10
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
for the most part you shouldn't be shifting into neutral unless you are stopped, there is no good reason to hit neutral while moving so quit practicing that.

Get into first just before you come to a complete stop, then after stopped up shift into neutral, sometimes rocking the bike back and forth with the clutch in while trying to find neutral or any gear for that matter helps it click in.

Get in habit of starting the bike when it is in neutral as it is less stress on the engine.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2015, 06:46 AM   #11
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

Only time I use neutral is when letting the bike warm up. Occasionally I will find myself in it accidentally but that's cause I try not to be too hard on my shifter, I have had the shifter on a four wheeler fall off while riding.

MSF actually tells you to always keep it in gear when stopped, just in case you have to make a quick get away.

Spoiler for topic:
It might just be the [you] tag
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2015, 06:53 AM   #12
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
While learning to ride, at a location like an empty parking lot, feel free to put it in N whenever it makes sense. Shifting gears (including getting into N) is a vital skill. Which leads to what I think your issue is.

Are you sure you're in first? The bike is easier to stall if you try to start from a stop in the higher gears. So click that lever down multiple times until you don't feel any more clicks. That is first, then try to go up one.

Having you taken the MSF BRC? I would recommend it if you can.

Good luck out there.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2015, 07:22 AM   #13
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
As noted, there's really no need to try to get into neutral when you are rolling - the transmission is designed so that doesn't happen.

When you are stopped, the Ninja's transmission is designed to go directly into neutral when you click up from first.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2015, 07:23 AM   #14
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

Quote:
Just cruising in first gear, I'll pull in the clutch and go up a half click to try and get into neutral and it's like it won't engage sometimes.
I didn't read the whole post, so i'm sorry if it's already been mentioned..

But going into neutral while moving is kinda silly. Down shift all the way to first and just hold in the clutch and coast to your stop if you have to. Then at the stop (when you are no longer moving), click up and you'll be in neutral.

It sounds like you need to work on how to handle a clutch... have you ever taken the MSF course?

Old August 7th, 2015, 07:26 AM   #15
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
for the most part you shouldn't be shifting into neutral unless you are stopped, there is no good reason to hit neutral while moving so quit practicing that.

Get into first just before you come to a complete stop, then after stopped up shift into neutral, sometimes rocking the bike back and forth with the clutch in while trying to find neutral or any gear for that matter helps it click in.

Get in habit of starting the bike when it is in neutral as it is less stress on the engine.
THIS ^

Old August 7th, 2015, 07:48 AM   #16
Jasonm163
ninjette.org member

Thanks for all the replies guys. I will stop putting it in neutral until I come to a complete stop as all of you have mentioned. As for the MSF class, have not taken it (I am registered but it is not until september the 12th and 13th so I am just waiting now. I guess the reason I had been doing the put in Neutral when coming to a stop is that is what i do in my evo.

Example im in my car and im in 4th I just shift into neutral and apply the brakes that way everything is already done by the time I get to the light and dont have to mess with keeping my clutch in (clutch on my car is super stiff). I guess that is a habit that I need to get out of or not practice on the motorcycle like all of you have suggested.

Old August 7th, 2015, 07:53 AM   #17
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
I guess the reason I had been doing the put in Neutral when coming to a stop is that is what i do in my evo.
And you will most likely do the same during the MSF. Holding the clutch all day in between the range drills will suck arse.

Once you get out on the public streets and in busy parking lots, N is not your friend. That is what the others are saying. Your MSF RiderCoach should cover this during the class.

As far as your shifting goes, it's not like a car. It's sequential, it's not designed to go from 4th to N. To try to make that happen will cause more problems than it solves and takes way too much time and attention.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2015, 11:39 AM   #18
Rifleman
Old and slow

Name: Lohman

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki TL1000R, Honda CBR600F3, Ninja 250

check your clutch cable.

the lock nut will vibrate and go lose... and then the barrel part will walk in a bit as you operate the clutch. And/or clutch cable stretches a bit.

both then result in the clutch not being fully disengaged when you pull the lever in. It's enough to let the bike stop and engine keep running, but puts just enough tension on the drive train to make shifting into N near on impossible... but easy to do when the engine is off.

a dragging clutch will heat and warp the plates and can burn and glaze the friction rings

so give that clutch cable adjustment a look see, even go ahead and give that adjuster a half a turn out just for good measure and see if that makes finding neutral less of a hunt.

Old August 7th, 2015, 03:49 PM   #19
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
check your clutch cable.
Good suggestion!
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote