ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old April 3rd, 2013, 07:19 PM   #1
Soulraven
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Jared

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 ABS

Question First set of gear... what are your thoughts?

So, I'm looking to get my first set of gear, and just want to make sure I'm going down the right path. My goal would be to ride all year long as I'll be commuting to work daily. Below is what I've picked out thus far thinking of multi-season functionality.

I haven't picked any gloves yet, and was hoping for some suggestions. I want them to be protective, but don't want to lose tactile feedback due to bulk. Do most people just have multiple sets of gloves for the various seasons?

Jacket: REV'IT! Outback Jacket

Pants: REV'IT Enterprise Pants

Boots: TCX X-Move WP Boots

Helmet: Icon Airmada Rubatone Helmet

Gloves: Not sure yet... any suggestions?
Soulraven is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2013, 07:25 PM   #2
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Have you thought about full boots? Overall looks pretty good. Don't forget to replace the useless foam pad in the jacket with a real armor insert. For gloves, Held Phantoms are awesome Short of that, get a good pair of leather gauntlets. If you plan on something useful for year round, I'd get normal gloves and maybe liners for colder days.
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2013, 07:33 PM   #3
jmgrande
YEAH! Custom name tag.

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R SE- SOLD to maverick9611

I would look at a helmet with a Snell rating, personal opinion perhaps, but my helmet is the most expensive piece of gear I own. It was really important to me to pick up a good helmet. I have a Shoei RF-1100.

Old April 3rd, 2013, 07:40 PM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Not bad.... boots are a bit on the weak side, should slide well but will suck in a crush situation and I hope that jacket breaths well for you down in TX.

Don't skimp on the gloves buy quality!!!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2013, 07:42 PM   #5
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
Other miscellaneous items: Ear plugs, camera (could help if someone runs into you or tries to blame you), undersuit (sweat wicking, etc)... maybe?
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2013, 01:54 AM   #6
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

Gloves..
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/a...rs-sp-x-gloves
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/t...ightning-glove
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/a...rs-sp-1-gloves

I own the Spx short cuff gloves and they're great. finally starting to wear in certain areas though, ive heavily abused them. I also own the Teknic lightning gloves and i find them to be fantastic for my first pair of gauntlet gloves.
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2013, 01:59 AM   #7
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Get a full boot

Tcx s-race is a good start
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2013, 07:41 AM   #8
Soulraven
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

I'll definitely look at an upgraded back pad, full boot, and ear plugs. Also, appreciate the glove recommendations they all look like really good options.

Any other "must haves" that I should be thinking about?

Old April 4th, 2013, 10:24 AM   #9
DreamN
Beer Me!

Name: Jimmy

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 Car(s): '09 Cube, '93 240SX (Coupe & 'Vert)

One note on the Alpinestars SPX, the stitching comes looses after awhile it seems. Co-worker has them and already after less than 3 months of riding he's seeing loose threads here and there.

I have the previous generation of the same gloves and everything has held up nicely aside from the velcro. It's simply come apart to the point where it doesn't even stay closed. I have to zip my jacket cuffs over them.

Looking into getting some gauntlet style gloves next.
DreamN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2013, 01:14 PM   #10
yzfr6i
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2010 R6

When you ride to work are you wearing your clothes under your gear, or changing into them when you get to work?

For boots go with a full length like this.. http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=8459

Glove wise, the Held Phantoms are on closeout for $200. These are great gloves, but check quickly because they are getting limited in sizes. Also RS Taichi makes a great glove in the GP-WRX, and the GP-EVO.

Not sure what size helmet you need, but if this fits it would be a good buy. http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=3018 or this http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com...l.bok?no=12799

Hope this helps.

Old April 4th, 2013, 01:58 PM   #11
Soulraven
ninjette.org newbie

Yup, I will be wearing my work clothes (dress shirt/slacks) underneath my gear. On days that I have to wear a suit jacket I was thinking about using something like the Eagle Creek Pack-It Folders.

I was looking at the Held Phantoms as they do look like a good option. Just wondering what I would need in the event of rain?

Old April 4th, 2013, 02:03 PM   #12
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R (Sold), 93 VFR750F (In Pieces)

Is there no love for the Cortech Latigo gloves? The revzilla review on them was really good and they are ~$82 anywhere you look.

I've also been looking at some Scorpion and Teknic gear. Good prices on new and even better on used... Just a thought.

Old April 4th, 2013, 03:11 PM   #13
xaple
ninjette.org guru

Name: Daniel "God"

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

I would suggest full leather boots and Kevlar jeans
xaple is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2013, 03:43 PM   #14
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulraven View Post
Yup, I will be wearing my work clothes (dress shirt/slacks) underneath my gear. On days that I have to wear a suit jacket I was thinking about using something like the Eagle Creek Pack-It Folders.

I was looking at the Held Phantoms as they do look like a good option. Just wondering what I would need in the event of rain?
I've ridden with the Phantoms in the rain and while it gets a bit cold and wet, it's not terrible. You can get a pair of dedicated gore-tex gloves if you want but it's not necessary unless you plan to spend a long time in the rain. Drying the leather can be a bitch though.
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2013, 03:46 PM   #15
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

It is really important to try on a helmet before you buy it. Each manufacturer has a different shape head mold. If the mold is different from your head you will have painful pressure points. Most first timers buy a helmet that is too big. I am not an exception. It should be really snug, but no numbness. Your cheeks should be compressed. Remember, the foam will expand a little. If you buy one that is too big, it will eventually start to rattle when you are on the highway. I noticed my second helmet is also cooler internally than the first, although they are both the same brand and model, just one size smaller. So I think the internal air flow is adversely affected by incorrect sizing as well. If most of your gear is one size (i.e. medium), the helmet will probably be that size too. Wear it around the store for 20 minutes to be sure. Trust me, they have seen people do it before.
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2013, 04:35 PM   #16
MikeCG23
Ride this!

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I just got the Alpinestars SPX gloves and LOVE them. Im a little worried about the stitching quality but other than that they're great! I dont ride track though.
MikeCG23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2013, 06:46 PM   #17
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamN View Post
One note on the Alpinestars SPX, the stitching comes looses after awhile it seems. Co-worker has them and already after less than 3 months of riding he's seeing loose threads here and there.

I have the previous generation of the same gloves and everything has held up nicely aside from the velcro. It's simply come apart to the point where it doesn't even stay closed. I have to zip my jacket cuffs over them.

Looking into getting some gauntlet style gloves next.
This is correct. ive had mine for about 7months now and the bottom part of the stitching (towards the end of the glove, where the stitching is at) has come off in a little area where i could put my pinky finger through the opening. But like i mentioned, ive abused the hell out of them. that + theyre only 100$.
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote