Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycling News

Old September 2nd, 2013, 03:00 PM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[visordown.com] - Marquez given penalty points

Marquez and Hayden's bikes return to the pits

MARC Marquez has been given two penalty points after failing to slow down under yellow and oil flags in yesterday morning’s warm up.

Cal Crutchlow had crashed at Vale corner in Sunday’s warm up where several marshals were dealing with the incident. The young Spaniard crashed seconds later at the same corner which saw marshals and Crutchlow running to the side lines as Marquez’s Repsol Honda bike flew towards them, narrowly missing them and then crashing into Crutchlow’s Yamaha Tech3 bike.

Marquez dislocated his shoulder in the crash, but was passed fit to race and given an injection to dull the pain.

After finishing the MotoGP race in second place, it was then understood that the Repsol Honda rider had been penalised by Race Direction for his actions seen earlier in warm up.

Speaking after the British Grand Prix, Marquez explained: “I didn't speak with [Race Direction] but they said there was the yellow flag and the oil flag, and I know that with the yellow flag you need to slow down, especially when you see the oil flag, you slow down a lot, but I didn't see them. I cannot say many things [about this]. The rules are there, and so if they gave me points, it's because the flags were there, but I didn't see them.”

The official FIM statement said: “On 1st September, 2013 during MotoGP Warm Up session of the Hertz British Grand Prix, rider Marc Marquez (93) was riding in a section of the circuit where waved yellow flags were displayed due to an earlier accident.

“He continued at racing speed and did not slow down and be prepared to stop as required by the regulations.

“His subsequent crash at the same point as the previous accident seriously endangered the rider being attended and the marshals in the accident zone.”

If Marquez reaches four penalty points he will have to start the next race from the back of the grid.

Related Content

Crutchlow breaks collarbone at Silverstone
Assen return for Crutchlow
Marc Marquez Assen crash sequence
Gallery: Pedrosa's Silverstone crash gallery
Gallery: Spies Silverstone FP2 crash pictures

Click here for full story...