ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 12th, 2014, 10:31 PM   #1
Braden07
Wannabe racer

Name: Brady

Motorcycle(s): 2010 ninja 250 race prepped, 2009 Zx6R

Race-prepped 250 GSXR shock swap question

So i have a race prepped 250.. front suspension is all done up, i have the stock rear shock and am thinking about doing the gsxr swap.

Can anyone that has done it and used it for race application only chime in and give me your two cents on it? Obviously it be best for me to hear from those that have ridden stock and with the swap but any input would be appreciated

Also, what size dogbones should i get ie +1 or +1.5 or +2? I know the website that sells them but im wondering what size do most people buy.. the bike's suspension is pretty decent how it is set up now.. im just looking for that extra edge to give me a couple more seconds off and suspension is the way to go..

thanks,
brady
Braden07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2014, 01:33 AM   #2
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden07 View Post
So i have a race prepped 250.. front suspension is all done up, i have the stock rear shock and am thinking about doing the gsxr swap.

Can anyone that has done it and used it for race application only chime in and give me your two cents on it? Obviously it be best for me to hear from those that have ridden stock and with the swap but any input would be appreciated

Also, what size dogbones should i get ie +1 or +1.5 or +2? I know the website that sells them but im wondering what size do most people buy.. the bike's suspension is pretty decent how it is set up now.. im just looking for that extra edge to give me a couple more seconds off and suspension is the way to go..

thanks,
brady
Hello Brady,

it would be the best to talk to Chris, his nick is @csmith12, but also many others here have some experience with those mods also.
Let me give you some little informations before:
- the stock shock of the Ninja is 320 mm eye-to-eye
- the Gixxer-shocks (600/750, year 2006-2007) are 315 mm eye-to-eye and some with the ability to extend some millimeters.
- the transmission (right word?) from the shock to the axle is 1:3, so the gixxer-shock will lower your bike by at least 15 mm and from there it's up to you what you like.
- also it is important to look for the spring since the spring from gixxer-shock seems to be stiff, but also not for everyone.
I've raised my rear by 15 mm and lowered the front by 16 mm and that makes it easy to lean in the curves (a friend of mine who tested it by the way didn't like it).
Good luck for you
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2014, 07:31 AM   #3
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=201069

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...ght=gsxr+shock

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2014, 07:33 AM   #4
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
First check your racing rules, that may be illegal to do.

Get shorter dog bones, bout .75" shorter between the holes.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2014, 08:13 AM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13

^^^^ this

I have plenty of comments in some of those threads but feel free to ask if something still is not clear.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2014, 08:15 AM   #6
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
you can buy parts to assemble your own fully adjustable dogbones using heim joints and threaded rods. fully adjustable rear height for only a bit more than those pieces of plate. mcmaster.com
it's probably a good idea to respring it to your correct weight also

Old November 14th, 2014, 03:18 PM   #7
Braden07
Wannabe racer

Name: Brady

Motorcycle(s): 2010 ninja 250 race prepped, 2009 Zx6R

Thanks to everyone for their support.. After looking it all up I think ill be able to get it done with ordering the 1.5+ dogbones as my goal is to raise the rear just a tad and given what some of the other guys have said and our height comparison i feel the 1.5 will be proper.

Now it i'll just be a pain working in the freezing cold here in utah!.. may purhcase everything and then do it come spring time just before race season starts.

Ill update yall on the progress..

thanks again,
Brady
Braden07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2014, 07:03 AM   #8
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden07 View Post
Thanks to everyone for their support.. After looking it all up I think ill be able to get it done with ordering the 1.5+ dogbones as my goal is to raise the rear just a tad and given what some of the other guys have said and our height comparison i feel the 1.5 will be proper.

Now it i'll just be a pain working in the freezing cold here in utah!.. may purhcase everything and then do it come spring time just before race season starts.

Ill update yall on the progress..

thanks again,
Brady
The dog bones from that burkheart guy are priced pretty decent. But like Alex S. mentioned with a little bit of effort and a few bucks you can make your own fully adjustable dog bones.

and make sure to give yourself a little bit of time before the season starts to work out any bugs

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote