ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old October 10th, 2015, 09:26 AM   #1
Crystalk
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Crystal

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

New and intimidated!

Hi, my name is Crystal. I'm from riverside county. I'm taking the riders course at Ride Rite. My problem is I'm intimidated by just the size alone. I'm being taught on something much smaller and haven't yet had the nerve to get on my bike. I'm wondering if there is anyone who wouldn't mind helping me get over this. I don't know anyone else who rides, I've always wanted to. Ok thanks
Crystalk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2015, 09:43 AM   #2
erbarry88
ninjette.org member

Name: Eddie

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R, 2007 GSX-R 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalk View Post
Hi, my name is Crystal. I'm from riverside county. I'm taking the riders course at Ride Rite. My problem is I'm intimidated by just the size alone. I'm being taught on something much smaller and haven't yet had the nerve to get on my bike. I'm wondering if there is anyone who wouldn't mind helping me get over this. I don't know anyone else who rides, I've always wanted to. Ok thanks
I stay in Fontana. I'm a short guy 5'4 and at first was worried. Now the 250 feels tiny compared to my GSXR which I can only tip toe on one foot. Can you get both feet on the ground?
I know a female rider in Moreno, she wrecked her bike unfortunately, but I'm sure she won't mind helping or getting some other girls to help.

Old October 10th, 2015, 10:13 AM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome Crystal!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2015, 10:55 AM   #4
Crystalk
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Crystal

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

That would be awesome thanks. Yeah I can touch on both sides, I'm 5"2. Let me know what she says? Thanks soo much
Crystalk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2015, 11:10 AM   #5
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Hi, my name is Crystal..........My problem is I'm intimidated by just the size alone. I'm being taught on something much smaller and haven't yet had the nerve to get on my bike..........
Welcome, Crystal !!!

Please, read this:
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=121203

The weight and height of any bike are meaningless once the bike starts moving above walking pace.

When walking next to it, consider that the more it deviates from a vertical position (frontal view), the more the weight will work against you.

If you develop a fine sense of balance, you can totally control the beast at very slow speeds only with steering, clutch and rear brake inputs.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 10th, 2015, 04:35 PM   #6
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Hi Crystal
Are you a confident rider on a bicycle? If you are feeling nervous about the motorcycle, it might help if you go for a medium to aggressive bike ride for a half hour. I'm serious and know it has helped several new riders.

The best way I can think to describe why is for the same reason you warm up to do a sport or exercise: to get the muscles warmed up and fire up your muscle memory. If you ride a bicycle which may be less intimidating; you are getting your 2 wheeled coordination warmed up and frees your conscious & subconscious to only have to deal with the differences of a bike and mc and not the basic similarities of balance and steering etc. Keep in mind; a motor cycle is only a heavier coaster bike when you pull in the clutch!

When you do get on the bike; remember to "do the chicken" (relax) and breeeeeath!!!
Good luck and keep us updated! I'd be glad to help but it would be a bit of a long ride!
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over

Last futzed with by SLOWn60; October 10th, 2015 at 04:40 PM. Reason: speelin ;(
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2015, 04:58 PM   #7
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Welcome. The class will help you a ton. It might be best to wait until you have completed the course to ride your bike.

Old October 12th, 2015, 09:22 AM   #8
spooph
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
You might also want to look at some of the women riding groups near you and see if there's somebody there that can help.

http://www.leatherandlacemc.com/
http://www.womenridersnow.com/pages/...ing_Clubs.aspx
- scroll down for the Cali listings.

I recommend this as female groups can be much less judgmental, and work with you in a way that's much more comfortable than general moto groups which might have some judgy people in it.

The class is mostly focused on low speed maneuvers as this is where most accidents happen for new riders. It's all about baby steps.

Anything can be intimidating. Intimidation is usually related to discomfort and unfamiliarity. So, spend some time with your bike. Just sit on it in the garage. It might seem silly, but practicing keeping it balanced at a stand still will increase your comfort level tremendously. At the very least, this will prepare you better for the class.

It's definitely a better idea to take the class first, as it will give you all the tools/exercises you/we all need to practice, all the time.

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old October 12th, 2015, 09:34 AM   #9
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Red face

Except the fact you will drop your bike, everyone does

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2015, 09:49 AM   #10
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
Except the fact you will drop your bike, everyone does
There's two things wrong with this sentence and only one of them is that it's false.
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 12th, 2015, 12:45 PM   #11
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Finding a friend that shares similar issues will be of great value. Perhaps another female rider, maybe just another rider who shares similar confidence concerns.

As a track coach, I see riders that are very reserved their first time. Honestly, it's mostly unwarranted but they are the one riding so I honor their feelings. I am one of the RARE few that will tell you to do anything it takes to ensure you feel comfortable and confident on your bike, which may include lowering it and adjusting other hard parts to fit your needs. It can be returned to stock or better later, so no worries.

Also, I can tell you for 1000% percent... ladies smaller than you hold up and control 1800cc/800lb machines as if it were no big thang. The difference between those riders and you is confidence. Please do what you need to ride with confidence, it literally is the difference between average riders and above average riders; classes, parking lot practice, riding with friends, whatever...

Best of luck to you and feel free to ask any question you have. We are a great bunch to help out without judgement.

csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old October 12th, 2015, 07:16 PM   #12
Jasonm163
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Ninja 300 ABS

You just need to do small things to practice. I am pretty new as well, I sat on my bike a bunch and just started it and Literally walked it around a parking lot using the clutch and my feet slowly moving and turning. After awhile you will slowly lift your feet and it becomes very easy to balance. I'm a fairly small person inseam wise so I can't completely flat foot both sides of my ninja either. Once you get moving it doesn't matter.

Try just sitting on it or getting into a large open area and walking it around using the clutch. Then take the class, the class boosted my confidence ten fold. You will be amazed how much it will help. Right after the class I took my bike around some neighborhoods and slowly entered bigger roads (mostly straight roads). Then work towards slow speed roads with curves. That is what I am working on myself now as well.

As someone above said CONFIDENCE is so crazy important. Know that you can do it, take a breath, then get out there and overcome that fear and you'll have an amazing time.
Jasonm163 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2015, 11:51 AM   #13
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Hi Crystal,

My name is Misti and I'm a riding coach and former AMA racer. You may want to look at taking a more advanced riding course after you finish the basic course in order to help gain confidence on your bigger machine. In the mean time, work on getting yourself comfortable on the smaller bike and then start slowly in a parking lot or somewhere away from distractions. Work on stopping and starting, turning around and doing basic loops and figure 8's. It would be a good idea to meet up with some other riders to get a bit of help and to read up on proper riding technique.

In the mean time feel free to PM me with any further questions or ask away here and I'll do my best to help you.

In terms of being concerned about the size of your bike I'd say just work on your riding technique and try not to let the "size" intimidate you. A bike is a bike and good throttle control is good throttle control regardless of what bike you are on. Respect your machine and take it slowly as you build your skills...and enjoy it

Cheers,
Misti
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote