ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old August 9th, 2016, 07:23 PM   #1
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

Name: Abu Mishary Mohd Fairus

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250 SE 2015 (sold); Honda ADV160 (current)

MOTM - Jan '17
Nastiest Things You Have Tried...

When I was replying to a post, i started thinking that some delicacies in other parts of the world are something which we did not even think of having or try. From Durians to Balut, rotten cheese to Surströmming, this post is not to condemn nor to insult food or culture of a country but merely to know what you have tried, your reaction towards it and what you would like to try.

Tell us what you had, how it was prepared, how did it taste and what would you like to try.

Let me start,

fried baby eel.

Deep fried. heads still on. Wash em up, and straight to the frying pan. Taste, unbelievably good. But it has this "earthy" flavours that I would guess comes out from the uncleaned gut. Almost threw up but managed to suck it up and take it like a man!

What would i like to try?? I really do not know yet since I am very squeamish at these kinds of things.

Old August 9th, 2016, 07:38 PM   #2
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
The little baby squids... head, legs, an all; I loved them / probably will never eat another one. I usually don't try gross stuff, a lot of everyday food is gross if you look at what they put in it!

Old August 9th, 2016, 08:32 PM   #3
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

MOTM - Jan '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo View Post
The little baby squids... head, legs, an all; I loved them / probably will never eat another one. I usually don't try gross stuff, a lot of everyday food is gross if you look at what they put in it!
Raw???

Old August 9th, 2016, 09:57 PM   #4
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Lutefisk. Finnish thing- dried cod, soaked in lye, and boiled (I think). Known for killing the roses on your wallpaper as it cooks. My grandma used to make it for Christmas.

As a kid, I refused to eat it. As an adult, no problem. Kind of tasted like fish jello and white sauce.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2016, 10:33 PM   #5
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

MOTM - Jan '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
Lutefisk. Finnish thing- dried cod, soaked in lye, and boiled (I think). Known for killing the roses on your wallpaper as it cooks. My grandma used to make it for Christmas.

As a kid, I refused to eat it. As an adult, no problem. Kind of tasted like fish jello and white sauce.
eat it with bread? or plain?

Old August 10th, 2016, 02:36 AM   #6
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
I'm not adventurous. I once had Spam, I didn't like it. The octopus I had wasn't great either.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 10th, 2016, 08:10 AM   #7
Rifleman
Old and slow

Name: Lohman

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki TL1000R, Honda CBR600F3, Ninja 250

Woodchuck pot pie. also called Ground hogs or Wistle pigs. You have GOT to parboil them with an onion... perferably somewhere outside the kitchen. Otherwise the entire house smells like a wet dog that rolled in some bad potatos.

I guess they are the largest rodent in north america, but unlike rats and what have you, they are vegitarians, eating only soy bean sprouts, alfalfa, clover and the like.

but boy do they have a musky odor. I guess if you live in a hole in the ground and never take a bath, you'd smell too.

suposedly the leather of a wood chuck does not get slimy and slippery when wet, as other leathers do... Some banjo manufactures used Woodchuck hide as their sounding drum cover back in the day too.

just, if you are going to skin one, wear latex gloves or your hands will smell like woodchuck for a week.

Old August 10th, 2016, 08:15 AM   #8
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:

You beat me to it!
It's a Norwegian thing to! The only way I could possibly eat it is because I had it since birth! It only comes out at Christmas now but it's comical watching all the old Scandinavians drooling over the dish!

....come to think of it....I guess I'm one of the old Scandinavians now!!!
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2016, 08:20 AM   #9
shift957
ninjette.org member

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): R6, SV 650, 300, 250, 250 xc-w

After a really great sushi dinner, my cousin (adventurous eater) suggested we try uni. I could barely get the first bite down without losing my stomach. I hear it's an acquired taste, but I think the portion we got was a grade C sample, rather than grade A. The only thing that came to mind when eating it was "porta potty of the sea" flavor. I have a sensitive palate when it comes to gamey / musky / rich flavors. The sushi chef said it took him years to develop the palate to like uni. lol
shift957 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2016, 09:15 AM   #10
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

MOTM - Jan '17
Sorry.. not from around here. Why would u call a member from the rodent family a pig?

Old August 10th, 2016, 09:24 AM   #11
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu_Mishary View Post
Raw???
Oh... No battered and fried calimari, the whole ones look real freaky, the tentacle rings don't

Old August 10th, 2016, 10:29 AM   #12
CaliGrrl

Quote:
eat it with bread? or plain?
Piece of fish on the plate, with white sauce, potatoes for a side dish. And the reward for getting through dinner is lefse for dessert- that's delicious on any scale. It's a very thin potato pancake, with butter, sugar, and cinnamon on it. Amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
I'm not adventurous. I once had Spam, I didn't like it. The octopus I had wasn't great either.
Spam- I'm with you there. It's almost tolerable if fried, but that's about it. I like octopus sometimes though it's usually kind of tough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWn60 View Post
You beat me to it!
It's a Norwegian thing to! The only way I could possibly eat it is because I had it since birth! It only comes out at Christmas now but it's comical watching all the old Scandinavians drooling over the dish!

....come to think of it....I guess I'm one of the old Scandinavians now!!!
It's funny because nobody else wants to get near the fish! My mom thinks it's funny that I would seek out lutefisk at this point given how much I loathed it as a kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift957 View Post
After a really great sushi dinner, my cousin (adventurous eater) suggested we try uni. I could barely get the first bite down without losing my stomach. I hear it's an acquired taste.
I hear it's an acquired taste, too, but my thought is that if it's so bad, why would one go back for more? Oh, let me suffer through this thing I don't like in hopes that someday I'll like it.... why?

I mean, the lutefisk was an experiment, and I thought it couldn't be as bad as my memory was, and it wasn't. But if it had been, I wouldn't have been trying it a second time.

Old August 10th, 2016, 10:44 AM   #13
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Piece of fish on the plate, with white sauce, potatoes for a side dish. And the reward for getting through dinner is lefse for dessert- that's delicious on any scale. It's a very thin potato pancake, with butter, sugar, and cinnamon on it. Amazing.

Spam- I'm with you there. It's almost tolerable if fried, but that's about it. I like octopus sometimes though it's usually kind of tough.

It's funny because nobody else wants to get near the fish! My mom thinks it's funny that I would seek out lutefisk at this point given how much I loathed it as a kid.

I hear it's an acquired taste, too, but my thought is that if it's so bad, why would one go back for more? Oh, let me suffer through this thing I don't like in hopes that someday I'll like it.... why?

I mean, the lutefisk was an experiment, and I thought it couldn't be as bad as my memory was, and it wasn't. But if it had been, I wouldn't have been trying it a second time.
Sigh.... If only you were single & older...and lived closer. And, and, and... Lol!

Regarding uni: it is mild delicious! But it has to be fresh!!!! It does have an unusual texture though and that can be very off putting to many.
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over

Old August 10th, 2016, 10:52 AM   #14
CaliGrrl

Awww, you're sweet.

Old August 10th, 2016, 11:11 AM   #15
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Imma bout to challenge everyone in this thread.

/teaser
fried spider - NOT for the weak, I repeat... NOT for the weak
grub worms - meh
grasshoppers/crickets - crunchy!!!
snake - just kinda tastes like chicken
Elephant - just NO!!!!
Alligator tail - actually pretty good!
Frog Legs - totally awesome cooked well
Hard cactus - as a desert is totally awesome, texture and taste is like a gummy bear!
Dog - Negative sir!!!!!
Beetles - Not my cup of tea
Variety of what is considered "Chicken of the Sea" - some good, some bad BBQ baby pickled squid was the best, but the longer you chew it, the bigger it gets
Various raw fishes - some salt, some freshwater.... mostly good with sauces
Shark - First impression is good, aftertaste sucks sumptin' fierce
eel - good in small amounts
kimchi - bring your hazmat suit, for the 6 month old cabbage version
home fries - no comment :\
beef/pork tongue - never again!!!!
authentic haggis - actually really good!
bone marrows stew - ummm... kinda ok
1000 year old eggs - NO!!!!
pig jowls - makes good bacon!

My next food and drink goal

csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2016, 12:31 PM   #16
Rifleman
Old and slow

well dang, from that list

Rattle snake, deep fried with cyanne pepper... called em rattle snake bites. to many bones
Alligator, yeah, i'd have that over chicken any day.
Frog legs, gigged my own frogs... butter and garlic saute' some people actually pay for that.
Beef tongue... got to be pickled, and got to be sliced thin as paper. nummy nummy nummy

Old August 10th, 2016, 12:37 PM   #17
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Rocky mountain oysters

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2016, 12:40 PM   #18
shift957
ninjette.org member

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): R6, SV 650, 300, 250, 250 xc-w

Quote:

[COLOR="Purple"]I hear it's an acquired taste, too, but my thought is that if it's so bad, why would one go back for more? Oh, let me suffer through this thing I don't like in hopes that someday I'll like it.... why?

I agree 100%. I never took a second bite. And to be honest, after reading that uni is technically sea urchin gonads, I'm ok with not trying it again no matter how fresh it is.

http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-sashim...ni-sea-urchin/
shift957 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2016, 12:42 PM   #19
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
Rocky mountain oysters
We call em home fries here. How bout these lovelies? (gizzards) I eat them often enough I don't even find it odd anymore.

mmmmmm....

Old August 10th, 2016, 12:47 PM   #20
ZeroGravity360
Just sittin on my stool..

Name: Amanda

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

Quote:
When I was replying to a post, i started thinking that some delicacies in other parts of the world are something which we did not even think of having or try. From Durians to Balut, rotten cheese to Surströmming, this post is not to condemn nor to insult food or culture of a country but merely to know what you have tried, your reaction towards it and what you would like to try.

Tell us what you had, how it was prepared, how did it taste and what would you like to try.

Let me start,

fried baby eel.

Deep fried. heads still on. Wash em up, and straight to the frying pan. Taste, unbelievably good. But it has this "earthy" flavours that I would guess comes out from the uncleaned gut. Almost threw up but managed to suck it up and take it like a man!

What would i like to try?? I really do not know yet since I am very squeamish at these kinds of things.
eel is one of my favorite foods ever! When ever I go out to eat sushi I only order eel
ZeroGravity360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2016, 12:48 PM   #21
Rifleman
Old and slow

Quote:
Sorry.. not from around here. Why would u call a member from the rodent family a pig?
It usually has to do with location, in Northern Illinois they are called Woodchucks... Most everywhere else they are ground hogs...

and in just a few places like Louisana and some places in Indiana (looking at you 360) Whistle pigs...

suppose the pig part comes from the hog part of ground hog... and the way I used to hunt them was to whistle, they would stick their head out of the hole to see what was making all the noise. Ker-POW

Old August 10th, 2016, 12:54 PM   #22
Rifleman
Old and slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
We call em home fries here. How bout these lovelies? (gizzards) I eat them often enough I don't even find it odd anymore.

mmmmmm....
when I do beer can chicken on the grill, i put a pan under to catch all the drippings along with half a can of chicke broth, I add in the gizzard, heart, liver, and neck.

after stewing in broth and drippings for 2-3 hours... my son calls it all "meat candy"

Old August 10th, 2016, 01:00 PM   #23
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Ya sure ya aint a hillbilly Lohman? Cause you be talkin' my language!

The neck has some of the most succulent meat!!!

Old August 10th, 2016, 01:56 PM   #24
Rifleman
Old and slow

Oh, I'm a country boy that made good.

milked cows, threw hay, shot wood chucks... I can drive a tractor, plow a straight forrow and run nuclear power plants, do nuclear research.

neck is awesom, I crush up the liver and add it to the gravy, nothing so rich and thick as sauted chicken liver in the gravy

I likes ma vitles.

Old August 10th, 2016, 02:00 PM   #25
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroGravity360 View Post
eel is one of my favorite foods ever! When ever I go out to eat sushi I only order eel
Can't tell if eel or mustache?!?!?!?

Old August 10th, 2016, 02:47 PM   #26
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
I tried uni as a kid and it legit made me want to vomit. I suspect it was the quality because i finally tried it again from a high quality source in the past year and now i love it.

I'm sure I've tried all sorts of questionable things as a kid due to my heritage and my parents never wanting to tell me what i was eating. All sorts of weird animal parts in Chinese cuisine. I finally learned that if my parents wouldn't tell me what a dish was, it was some sort of unsavory part of an animal.

Old August 10th, 2016, 04:11 PM   #27
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
I tried uni as a kid and it legit made me want to vomit. I suspect it was the quality because i finally tried it again from a high quality source in the past year and now i love it.

I'm sure I've tried all sorts of questionable things as a kid due to my heritage and my parents never wanting to tell me what i was eating. All sorts of weird animal parts in Chinese cuisine. I finally learned that if my parents wouldn't tell me what a dish was, it was some sort of unsavory part of an animal.
the unsavoury bits can be very tasty tho... haggis, black pudding etc.

I work with a few pathologists, at one of their confrences they were served a 'mystery meats' meal where they were asked to figure out what they were being served
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2016, 05:43 PM   #28
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

MOTM - Jan '17
Quote:

mmmmmm....
Bro.. I eat these for breakfast! lol...

It has this chewy texture, a bit of this iron taste and definitely taste like gizzards. We asians eat almost all parts of chicken.. well, at least for me. Some people even eat the head!

Old August 10th, 2016, 06:03 PM   #29
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Just dirt.
I ate a teaspoon once. Oh and random bugs before I had a full face helmet.

In my teens I added triple sec, tequila, and wild turkey to bake beans... Wasn't bad.

Old August 10th, 2016, 06:40 PM   #30
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

MOTM - Jan '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by snot View Post
Just dirt.
I ate a teaspoon once..
Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner!

Why would anyone eat dirt?

Last futzed with by Abu_Mishary; August 10th, 2016 at 09:05 PM.
Abu_Mishary is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2016, 06:41 PM   #31
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
I've accidentally swallowed a fly (on two occasions over the years) while riding a bicycle. Yuck.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2016, 06:51 PM   #32
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Just dirt.
Lol!
Reminds me of one of my favorite parent truisms:

When my first child ate dirt; I rushed him to Emergency!
When my second child ate dirt; I cleaned out her mouth.
When my third child ate dirt; I wondered if I'd still have to make lunch!

Old August 10th, 2016, 07:14 PM   #33
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Quote:
Quote:
Raw???
I've done raw whole squid (firefly squid), and that would be my vote. The flavor isn't bad at all, but I can't do that texture. When I had it I was the only white guy at the table (couple of Indian and Japanese friends) and it showed!

Quote:
Just dirt.
I ate a teaspoon once.
I ate potting soil as a kid. It explains quite a lot.

Old August 11th, 2016, 09:35 AM   #34
CaliGrrl

Research is showing that eating dirt as a kid is correlated with better health as an adult.

And I wouldn't call that picture an eel- it looks like a leech! Too small to be an eel.

Old August 12th, 2016, 06:10 AM   #35
Koala
ninjette.org sage

Name: Koala

Motorcycle(s): 2017 Ninja 300 Winter Test Edition

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Imma bout to challenge everyone in this thread.

/teaser
fried spider - NOT for the weak, I repeat... NOT for the weak
grub worms - meh
grasshoppers/crickets - crunchy!!!
snake - just kinda tastes like chicken
Elephant - just NO!!!!
Alligator tail - actually pretty good!
Frog Legs - totally awesome cooked well
Hard cactus - as a desert is totally awesome, texture and taste is like a gummy bear!
Dog - Negative sir!!!!!
Beetles - Not my cup of tea
Variety of what is considered "Chicken of the Sea" - some good, some bad BBQ baby pickled squid was the best, but the longer you chew it, the bigger it gets
Various raw fishes - some salt, some freshwater.... mostly good with sauces
Shark - First impression is good, aftertaste sucks sumptin' fierce
eel - good in small amounts
kimchi - bring your hazmat suit, for the 6 month old cabbage version
home fries - no comment :\
beef/pork tongue - never again!!!!
authentic haggis - actually really good!
bone marrows stew - ummm... kinda ok
1000 year old eggs - NO!!!!
pig jowls - makes good bacon!

My next food and drink goal

I've had two from your list a few times....

Alligator tail (I grew up in Florida) is like chewy chicken and it's great when fried in small nuggets

Shark (again, I grew up in Florida lol), I've had Hammerhead and Great White and they were both delicious! Season with garlic and butter and throw the steaks on the grill.....mmmm mmmm good
Koala is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2016, 08:23 AM   #36
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Uni.

I've been to a lot of places and eaten a lot of things but that is by far the grossest yet.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2016, 08:32 AM   #37
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I'm glad y'all tried this uni so I never would

I've had cow tongue tacos... Depends on who makes them, they are awesome at the little joint by mi casa

Spam ain't that bad... I used to eat it pretty regularly and enjoyed every bite

Old August 12th, 2016, 08:40 AM   #38
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
I'm glad y'all tried this uni so I never would

I've had cow tongue tacos... Depends on who makes them, they are awesome at the little joint by mi casa

Spam ain't that bad... I used to eat it pretty regularly and enjoyed every bite
Spam in Hawaii from the smaller local off the beaten path shops is awesome!

Cow tongue has to be boiled and then cooked otherwise it's tough.

Fresh cow heart and liver are still my favorite. Growing up as a kid on a farm I always looked forward to fall when we butchered for those.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2016, 08:46 AM   #39
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinNinja View Post
Spam in Hawaii from the smaller local off the beaten path shops is awesome!

Cow tongue has to be boiled and then cooked otherwise it's tough.

Fresh cow heart and liver are still my favorite. Growing up as a kid on a farm I always looked forward to fall when we butchered for those.
Spam masubi mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Yup boiled, then marinated, then cooked is best for the old tongue IMHO

I've never been big on heart or liver.

Ewwwwww I ate sheep brains in Afghanistan, it was funky, an I didn't eat much. I don't remember if it was the taste or the feel I didn't like, but I do remember apologizing that I could not eat that

Old August 12th, 2016, 08:58 AM   #40
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Man... I haven't had spam in years. I need to reacquaint myself with my love for it as a kid/young gentleman.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.