Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old March 29th, 2011, 12:13 PM   #1
Francis
ninjette.org newbie 2,000

Name: Francis

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

Too Short For Riding Pants

I just remembered I had to post this.

Anyways, I wear a 34, but when I go shopping for riding pants (I own zero), I have a hard time finding one that fits my height. I've gone to three local stores.

The kneepads end up going on my shin instead of my knees. There's an Olympia one, I forgot the model, which has adjustable pads so it fits nice, but I'd like to see other options. Any suggestions?

I really like Joe Rocket. Icon, I kind of wanna stay away from. My first Icon Contra jacket broke easily non-crash. Stitching of the ventilation of the right arm broke apart and the button to tie the sleeves up broke.

I don't really trust Icon atm.
Francis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2011, 12:24 PM   #2
AMMOCAN
SLIME-R

Name: AMMOCAN

Motorcycle(s): *SOLD* '10 Kawasaki 250R SE A.K.A. SLIME-R *SOLD*

I own many items from Icon and haven't had any issues, which is the same for many other riders. You might have just had a lemon unfortunately. I have had my Icon jacket and helmet since 2007, and although I didn't use them extensively between then and now I have not had any problems. I have been recently using my Icon product on a regular basis and all is well as the first day I purchased them.

As for your pant/knee guard fitting problem, I suggest you look into getting knee guards separate from the pants, as the fit and protection is far more improved. Doing this also allows you to have more options on what you can wear over the knee guards, so that way you are not stuck wearing the same pants over and over if you ride a lot.

I personally don't want my protection to be dependent on one pair of pants. If something was to happen to them, then I would be forced to either wait to get a new pair, wash them, fix them, or what ever the problem may be before I ride again, as I wouldn't want to ride without my protection. This is one of the reasons why I personally chose to make sure that regardless of what I am having to wear I can be assured I will have protection.

Old March 29th, 2011, 12:34 PM   #3
Cuongism
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

What's your inseam? It says you wear a 34 (I'm guessing waist then) but that seems tall for inseam. Also remember, when standing the kneepads won't be at your knees. Riding pants are meant to have the protection in the correct places when in the riding position. When you get on a sportbike, the pants as a whole rises. The pads that were at your shins while standing may adjust to your knees when you're on your bike. Same goes with pants length as well. They may seem long when standing but adjust up as you sit. Ask the stores to see if you can try the pants on your bike or just squat low into a riding position to see how much it rises.

If you're ok with online shopping, I know motorcyclegear.com has a shorter pants section.
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2011, 12:42 PM   #4
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuongism View Post
If you're ok with online shopping, I know motorcyclegear.com has a shorter pants section.
they do? where?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2011, 01:07 PM   #5
Cuongism

Lol, I guess I should always link

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/browse...erties%5B%5D=4

Under their search bar, there's a "hard to fit" link for short riders, tall riders, etc. One of the options is short inseam pants.

Old March 29th, 2011, 01:15 PM   #6
Francis
ninjette.org newbie 2,000

Name: Francis

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

Oh, yea. I've sat on the bikes to test em out. They're still too tall.

I'll check out Motorcycle Gear. I like to buy locally though. 3 shops closed down recently.
Francis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2011, 01:25 PM   #7
kkim

Quote:

Under their search bar, there's a "hard to fit" link for short riders, tall riders, etc. One of the options is short inseam pants.
Thank you!
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2011, 01:51 PM   #8
EddieNewYork
"Hey, That's My Bike"

Name: Eddie

Motorcycle(s): 88 Honda ZB50, 01 Honda Monkey, 07 CRF50, Honda CBR 600RR Phoenix Edition

Quote:

Dam, didn't know that either.
EddieNewYork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2011, 02:31 PM   #9
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

Quote:
What's your inseam? It says you wear a 34 (I'm guessing waist then) but that seems tall for inseam. Also remember, when standing the kneepads won't be at your knees. Riding pants are meant to have the protection in the correct places when in the riding position. When you get on a sportbike, the pants as a whole rises. The pads that were at your shins while standing may adjust to your knees when you're on your bike. Same goes with pants length as well. They may seem long when standing but adjust up as you sit. Ask the stores to see if you can try the pants on your bike or just squat low into a riding position to see how much it rises.

+a million. I'm 5'1" (28" inseam) and I find riding pants, so unless you're a midget, keep up the good search!

FWIW, I wear TourMaster HT overpants -- http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...overpants.html

(though mine are a couple of model years old)

You can see 'em in my avatar photo

<-----

Not too long at all.

Old March 29th, 2011, 04:18 PM   #10
Indy250r
ninjette.org member

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 2011 KTM 990 ADV

If all else fails, find some that are close and get them altered. I'm ~6' tall, but have short legs for my height. My riding pants went so far down my shins, I couldn't zip my boots.

I posted on a local m-cycle forum and found a lady that does alterations. She did a great job and now my pants fit perfectly. She said she could move the knees if necessary, which seems like a rough task, but there are talented people out there if you look around.

I paid $50 to have it done.

For anybody in and around Indy, the place was http://www.alt-sol.com/

I hear she does racing suits for the Indy car drivers when they are in town.

Here's the before and after:

Indy250r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2011, 04:38 PM   #11
Cuongism

Francis, supporting your local stores is a great thing. All the stores I've gone to here in CA can order anything from their catalogs (not sure if your stores in Vancouver can). Maybe bring a list of pants that come in short inseams and try on the regular length pants in the store to see if you like them; then see if they can order you the shorter length version. Just make sure they have a great return policy in case they don't fit

Old March 29th, 2011, 09:11 PM   #12
phr3ek
meow?

Name: kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepoof View Post
+a million. I'm 5'1" (28" inseam) and I find riding pants, so unless you're a midget, keep up the good search!
wait w0000t?!
how did you measure your inseam?

im 5'5" 28" inseam measured from crotch to ankle
to get pants with that inseam i need to drop down to a size 31 waist, currently 34
losing weight is easier (and better) than finding riding pants that has a short inseam
phr3ek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2011, 11:40 AM   #13
Hitman
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r Special Edition (Red/Black) / 2008 Suzuki GSXR 600 (Silver/White) / Ducati Diavel Carbon Red

Quote:

I have been looking for something like this for a long time!!!!

THANKS!

Old April 21st, 2011, 11:47 AM   #14
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

Quote:
Originally Posted by phr3ek View Post
wait w0000t?!
how did you measure your inseam?
Measured from crotch to floor in bare feet. If I did crotch to ankle, I guess it'd be more like 26".

Old April 21st, 2011, 02:29 PM   #15
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

If all else fails, do what Brad suggested and have the pants altered. I'm having some Icon jeans shortened an inch. They only sell inseams in 33 which is 1" too long for me, even in a riding position. I plan on wearing my Forcefield armor beneath. If you get pants with armor altered, make sure the knee armor can be moved as well.

Old April 21st, 2011, 05:07 PM   #16
lumi
ninjette.org member

Name: Lumi

Motorcycle(s): 06 Ninja 250

Quote:

Thanks for this, I hadn't noticed it before! Though I have the opposite problem from OP, namely that I can't find pants long enough. At least if I try to stick to women's pants. The longest I've found are 33 inseam and mine is around 35.
lumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2011, 05:21 PM   #17
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumi View Post
At least if I try to stick to women's pants. The longest I've found are 33 inseam and mine is around 35.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2011, 05:36 PM   #18
lumi
ninjette.org member

Name: Lumi

Motorcycle(s): 06 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post

*snort* Maybe I'll have to post some in the girls thread then
lumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2011, 07:09 PM   #19
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

What's your inseam length? There are some pants that come in shorter inseam lengths and also give you options to adjust the placement of your knee armour.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2011, 08:45 AM   #20
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I'm 6'2" and every pair of riding pants I tried on did the same thing no matter what position I placed the armor in. I later realized that even though they were below my knees when sitting or standing in the store, they were often on my knees or even ABOVE them when riding.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2011, 12:42 PM   #21
pilot815
ninjette.org member

Name: Cory

Motorcycle(s): Mine: 09 KLR650 Wife: 05 Ninja 250

Might look into Olympia gear. Its by far the best gear i have ever experienced. The pants have adjustable knee pad positions and they also come so that they can be altered for length very easily. I think they design them to be shortened up to 4" or so. Go to revzilla and look at the olympia pants. They have some good videos showcasing the pants, and they explain those features.
pilot815 is offline   Reply With Quote