ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 9th, 2014, 08:20 AM   #41
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarhj View Post
This isn't the first time I've been wrong, and it won't be the last. Glad you got it working!

Does the idle issue persist after you've been riding around for 5-10 minutes? If it's just an issue with cold starts then it's not too abnormal (as long as you can keep it running with the choke, that is). If it happens even after the bike warms up then the carburetor bowls may not be filling up with enough gas, or gas may not be flowing to them quickly enough.

At this point it sounds like you've checked an re-checked the carbs a million times, so you've probably already checked the float height. Do you have an inline filter on the fuel line? Maybe it's got some crud stuck in it. Alternately, you might have some stuff stuck in the super-secret stock inline filter (about halfway down the page)
yeah, I added my own inline filter. I tried to search out the stock one but I cannot find it for the life of me. I looked through the line and couldn't see it. Actually I believe we replaced the fuel line when we put in the new filter so I guess it wouldn't be there.

It happens when it's warm yes, and even when it's being choked. But the bike gets plenty of power, I turn the throttle and the bike immediately starts pulling.

My plan is to just hope the problem solves itself in the next few days, and if it deosn't then I will run some seafoam in there for a few weeks and if that doesn't fix it, then I will consider redoing carbs or buying a new carb all together for about $200. :/

Old June 9th, 2014, 09:08 AM   #42
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero Danny View Post
You want to know what? I'll tell yah. Its an issue with the carb.
We pulled them today and cleaned them again. Problem completely went away.
If it happens again we may just buy new carb
If the issue is corrected by cleaning the carbs, and it returns, I would look elsewhere - like the condition of the tank. Replacing the carbs isn't going to stop the problem.

Ultrasonic cleaning would remove deposits and debris in hard to reach areas that normal cleaning won't.

I've ultrasonic cleaned numerous carbs that had been dipped/soaked/washed, and looked clean, and immediately you will get a cloud of deposits coming out of passages and openings.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2014, 12:20 PM   #43
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
If the issue is corrected by cleaning the carbs, and it returns, I would look elsewhere - like the condition of the tank. Replacing the carbs isn't going to stop the problem.

Ultrasonic cleaning would remove deposits and debris in hard to reach areas that normal cleaning won't.

I've ultrasonic cleaned numerous carbs that had been dipped/soaked/washed, and looked clean, and immediately you will get a cloud of deposits coming out of passages and openings.
Yeah... my issue just came back today. You may be correct.

How do I "ultrasonic clean"? Couldn't I just use some mystery oil or fuel stabilizer? I already tried seafoam back a few weeks ago.

Old June 9th, 2014, 12:45 PM   #44
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero Danny View Post
Yeah... my issue just came back today. You may be correct.

How do I "ultrasonic clean"? Couldn't I just use some mystery oil or fuel stabilizer? I already tried seafoam back a few weeks ago.
It takes an Ultrasonic cleaner.

A fuel system cleaner will breakdown deposits, but you would get deposits that quickly.

How does the tank look? Are you running fuel filters? Sounds like something in the fuel system eventually blocks the passages.

EDIT: After reading back some, it does sound like you have filters. Are they clear so you can see if they are catching anything? Because you had gas overflowing the floatbowls, it does lead me to think there's stuff getting in. You can get a piece of debris under the needle and it will stop it from sealing - and fuel will overflow. Another issue could be lck of adequate venting of the tank. Next time it runs poorly, open the filler and listen for air to rush in, which would mean it's not venting. Cleaning the petcock and checking the vacuum line may be a good idea also.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2014, 02:06 PM   #45
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
It takes an Ultrasonic cleaner.

A fuel system cleaner will breakdown deposits, but you would get deposits that quickly.

How does the tank look? Are you running fuel filters? Sounds like something in the fuel system eventually blocks the passages.

EDIT: After reading back some, it does sound like you have filters. Are they clear so you can see if they are catching anything? Because you had gas overflowing the floatbowls, it does lead me to think there's stuff getting in. You can get a piece of debris under the needle and it will stop it from sealing - and fuel will overflow. Another issue could be lck of adequate venting of the tank. Next time it runs poorly, open the filler and listen for air to rush in, which would mean it's not venting. Cleaning the petcock and checking the vacuum line may be a good idea also.
I checked the inline filter and there wasn't anything in it. We checked the needle last time we cleaned it and there wasn't anything on it. The gas overflowing is not an issue as of now. It was fixed when we opened the carbs last time.

I threw some seafoam in the gas again and tried messing with some vacuum lines, it makes it slightly better.. At this point we are going to try our best to fix it and then sell it and buy another.