ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 9th, 2010, 01:58 PM   #1
WoRMinator
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Kenneth

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

To jet or not to jet, that is the question.

Let me star by saying hello to everyone on this informative site! I just purchased a 2010 250 about a month ago. So far I love it. I bought this bike because I like the sport bike look but have no need for the speed of a super sport. I just installed a PLMFG exhaust and have been reading peoples thoughts on jetting with a full exhaust. I have not done anything else to the bike yet. I plan on getting a k&n air filter.
The reason for this post is that I'm trying to figure out if I should jet carburetors. I planned on having my carburetors jetted at the dealership that sold me the bike. I just got off the phone with their service dept and they basically told me that it i do not need to jet it. I mentioned to them about what I've been reading on the forums about the bike being naturally lean and that it should be even more with the full exhaust upgrade. The fellow there said that he can richen things up by just adjusting the pilots without a need to jet.
Does any of this make sense?
WoRMinator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2010, 02:28 PM   #2
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

I would find another shop. The adjustment he is speaking of is only for the idle mixture.
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2010, 02:33 PM   #3
g21-30
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

You either need to shim (use washers) your needles or buy a DynoJet kit and use the needles/shims only from it (install per the instructions), set your idle mixture screws to 2.5 turns out, and remove the snorkel. That's all I did and I have the PLMFG setup. Good Luck!

The OEm .098 jets are actually rich, even for a full exhaust setup.
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2010, 02:49 PM   #4
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

"Jetting" the bike richens (relative to factory specs) the entire mixture from the top down. Tuning the idle mixture screws will really just get you perhaps a crisper idle and a little better response off the line. But it wont fix anything else. Shimming the needles (which they probably wouldnt do...) would give you some more, but it wont cover you at WOT very much.

Increasing flow is about getting more air in order to be able to burn more fuel. Without more fuel, you will really dont get a lot more than a louder bike.

I would do it yourself. I was timid at first about it but the DIYs are extremely informative and now I am much more confident about my upcoming projects.
Posted via Mobile Device
JMcDonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2010, 06:16 PM   #5
WoRMinator
ninjette.org newbie

hmm, beginning to wonder if i should just do this myself. He was going to charge me around 400-500 to rejet or 140 just to drill and adjust the pilot holes?! wow..

Old November 9th, 2010, 07:14 PM   #6
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

I would do it yourself. Not only is that a large amount of cash, but with that attitude and apparently low level of knowledge (for a Kawi mechanic willing to charge for the service...) I wouldn't trust they would do it correctly or at least completely (might just slap in which ever jet they grab first, make sure it runs, and call it good).

In the DIYs (if you haven't read them) are many instructionals on not only how to install and tune a full jet kit, but even to drill and adjust the idle mixture screws (which turns out to be relatively easy).

Old November 9th, 2010, 10:51 PM   #7
ithaca00
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250 (street), 1994 EX250 (Race), 2008 250R (Race), 2000 250 (project), 1991 EL250 (a cruiser!)

Were you going to be getting a K&N pod filter or drop-in? If just a drop-in, take a look at the filter and jet kit from Sportisi. Both are good products that I have on my bike.
ithaca00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2010, 06:10 PM   #8
WoRMinator
ninjette.org newbie

i was just planning on throwing a k&n filter in the stock box. I really dont plan on modifying to much of the stock setup. Just exhaust, air filter and adjust carbs to handle the exhaust and filter.

Old November 11th, 2010, 08:38 PM   #9
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

I checked my valve lash today, and while I had the bike half-apart anyways, I went ahead and finished off with putting the K&N pod filter in. It is so lean it won't rev above about 6500 RPM, and anything beyond maybe 1/4 throttle just results in massive stuttering an hesitation.

I'm going to install my Factory Pro jet kit tomorrow, though.

Unless your bike was actually tested and found to be extremely rich from the factory, I can't imagine it running nearly as well as it could with substantial flow-increasing mods--and that's if it will even run acceptably-well at all!