ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Cargo Space

Old January 23rd, 2012, 09:34 PM   #1
Slono
ninjette.org guru

Name: Solon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (sold), 2007 SV650s (deer wrecked), 2010 Suzuki SV650S

Backpack or Tank Bag

I've been entertaining the idea of getting a really good quality tank bag. One issue I run into when using a regular backpack is that if its full, after about 30-45 minutes of riding my shoulders and lower back get tired. I'm used to carrying heavy loads on my back from firefighting school, but I'd rather not have to do it everyday when I commute (I usually have enough to fill my backpack).

To those of you who own tank bags, are they worth it? Most good ones run anywhere from $100 - $200, and ones that are a decent size look like they take up most of the space in front of the gas tank, which could be used for tucking in when traveling on the freeway (which I frequently ride on). I currently have a backpack that has a capacity of 32L (1,953 cubic inches), and the quality is second to none (waterproof lining, YKK zippers, 1000 denier nylon, you name it).

Assuming price is not a factor, can anybody recommend a tank bag that firstly, fits the ninjette, and is secondly, rugged and unobtrusive while actually riding on your motorcycle?
Slono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2012, 09:43 PM   #2
saxnbass
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 CBR600rr

I have one question to add to that. I know good magnetic tank bags are popular, and hear they are the way to go... how do those work with electronics though? Like if you needed to take a laptop with you and want to put it in the tank bag.
saxnbass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2012, 09:58 PM   #3
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
get a tank bag that works like a backpack also.

Old January 24th, 2012, 05:54 AM   #4
cliff0529
ninjette.org member

Name: Cliff

Motorcycle(s): 1999 BMW K1200LT, 2001 Aprilia Falco, 2008 Ninja 250R and a whole slew of dirtbikes!

In my experience, the shape of the ninjette's tank makes a big magnetic tank bag kind of hard to fit. I'd get a smaller tank bag that fit the shape of the tank for things like your sunglasses, wallet, keys, gloves, etc. and then get a tail bag that wraps around your back seat to put your bigger stuff in.

I'll second what you said though, after about 45 minutes of riding with my backpack on my hands start to go numb from the straps putting so much pressure on my shoulders. BTW, that's with a good "hiking" style back pack that was made specifically for riding. One of the ones that have both a waist band and a strap across your chest to try to relieve some of the pressure off your lower back.

It's a trade off, the convenience of the backpack is nice, get off the bike and take your stuff with you, but it's not really all that comfortable and here in the south, you'll bake in the summer when you wear it.

Also, as a side note, be careful with magnetic tank bags and inspect the bottom of them before you put them on the bike. They pick up metal really really well. I've found staples and paper clips attached to the bottom of mine on many occasions and I'd hate to see what that'd do to the paint on your tank after you slide it around to get it positioned right.

Georgia Fast Lane
cliff0529 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2012, 02:56 PM   #5
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja EX250, 07 FZ6

The tail bag is the best.
Yasko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2012, 03:11 PM   #6
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

I've got a tank, tail and saddle bags. But for around the town general riding a backpack is the easiest way to go.
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2012, 03:29 PM   #7
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasko View Post
The tail bag is the best.
I agree!

Old January 24th, 2012, 03:50 PM   #8
Slono
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (sold), 2007 SV650s (deer wrecked), 2010 Suzuki SV650S

Any recommendations for tail bags? And have you ever rocked a backpack AND a tail bag at the same time?

Old January 24th, 2012, 06:18 PM   #9
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja EX250, 07 FZ6

I'm to the point were I never remove my tail bag. I've not had any issues with it any were I park in this high petty crime DFW Metro area.

It also can be turned into a backpack if needed.

http://www.amazon.com/Cortech-Sport-.../dp/B001PN5X44
Yasko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2012, 06:28 PM   #10
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

Axio Swift, get it

Old January 24th, 2012, 07:03 PM   #11
rz3r0
ninjette.org member

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R(Sold), 11 Honda Ruckus, 12 Ducati Monster 696 ABS

I go with a backpack all the way. I use either a Kriega R15 or R25, awesome backpacks. Also if you want a tank bag, I'd recommend one that could convert from a tankbag to a backpack. Happy shopping!
rz3r0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2012, 07:09 PM   #12
rz3r0
ninjette.org member

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R(Sold), 11 Honda Ruckus, 12 Ducati Monster 696 ABS

We also neet to get this thread moved to gear discussion.
rz3r0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2012, 07:42 PM   #13
Live2ride

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

I have this magnetic tank bag. It is the best accessorie i've bought for my 250 to date. It also has a shoulder sling and back pack straps. The map pocket and cell pocket are small but it wasn't a deal breaker for me. The water bladdar pocket was a huge plus as well and the magnets have never effected my electronics. If your trying to fit a laptop in a tank bag then this bag won't work. As far as the backpack goes, I usually just loosen the straps and let it rest on the passenger seat; it takes nearly all the weight off my shoulders.

Old January 24th, 2012, 08:04 PM   #14
klewi
Ninjette of the North

Name: Kyle

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 Ninja 250

I couldn't get used to the backpack. I bought this tail bag and this tank bag. I absolutely love them both. The tank bag might be a little small for your needs but it does convert into a backpack; they also offer a larger version.

I highly recommend both. I use the tank bag for every day commuting to work and then the tail bag for longer trips.

Just my 2cents

Old January 26th, 2012, 01:55 PM   #15
reaubideux
Perpetual Newb

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2010 MIB Ninja 250R [sold]; 2006 CBR600RR [sold]; 2013 Triumph Street Triple R

I have the same bag and it does the job about 95% of the time. It's deceptively spacious in what you can cram in there, provided it's a pliable object. I had a plain ol' backpack before the tank bag and just didn't like having something big and bulky on my shoulders. I debated on the tank bag and the Icon Squad II backpack but in the end the versatility of the tank bag that I could carry as a backpack is kind of what sold me along with accommodations for a hydration bladder. The only thing lacking from the Rapid Transit vs. the Icon is the straps for carrying my helmet hands-free w/the Icon bag, but I really can't think of any time since I started riding where I wasn't riding to a destination where I would HAVE to carry my helmet around the whole time. I've always had a place to securely store it.

Here's a copypasta of my full-on review of this bag from another post of mine:

Quote:

(example of a common load of things I've packed in the bag)
(better detailed pictures coming soon)

Comfort: n/a
Protection: n/a
Fit & Finish: 5/5 - solid construction, zippers are high quality, stitching and seams are strong and seem to hold up well so far
Air Flow: n/a
Features & Functionality: 4/5 - features and functionality galore; a lot of bag in a small size, only gripe is the rubberized padding for the magnets tend to leave smudges on the tank and like to pick up rocks and dust which cause scratches; docked because of a ridiculously small map pocket and undersized phone pocket (considering today's smartphones) and the aforementioned problem with smudging the tank

I swear this bag was designed with the Ninjette in mind. It fits on their perfectly. The bag itself is compact yet surprisingly spacious and as long as you're an efficient packer you can carry quite a bit with you. It isn't a bag you could use for a weekend of camping, but it's good for an overnight stay. The main compartment itself has 2 interior pockets along with a compartment for a hydration pack along with a hole through which the drinking tube can be fed. There are 2 exterior pockets on each side of the bag that can also hold a little bit too, I commonly use those to hold my cell phone and wallet on one side, the other holds a small spray bottle and microfiber towel for cleaning my helmet and visor. There's also a pocket at the front of the bag which almost seems like an afterthought by the designers and just threw it on there because they could. It's a perfect size for holding a small digital camera. There are 2 flaps that combine to close up the main compartment; on the larger flap is a cell phone holder which barely holds my smartphone as well as a pocket to hold a map, however it is pretty useless as it's very narrow. I thought it'd be a perfect pocket for when I borrow the Garmin GPS out of my wife's car but it's too narrow to fit the Garmin in there in a landscape orientation which is required since the screen doesn't rotate its orientation. I've used it to hold my smartphone when using it as a GPS or to just be able to keep an eye on the time. The map pocket is really my only real source of frustration with the entire bag. It's just so useless, if it were wide enough to accommodate the GPS I'd be a happy camper but now I'm stuck considering a smaller compact GPS just so I can have a real GPS (my phone's GPS sucks!) with me when I decide to take a longer trip on the path less traveled. The smaller flap at the base of the bag has multiple see-through mesh pockets for holding pocket change or ear plugs. There's also a zipper pocket for an MP3 player with a hole in the flap to pass the earbuds through. This is a nice feature but I would never use it. I don't like the idea of being tethered to my bike in that manner. The bag also features a built-in rain cover which is awesome for those of you who venture out in rainy weather routinely, the only thing that could make the rain cover better is if they could've incorporated some sort of clear plastic window to allow you to still see the map pocket. Also included is a clip for your keys. While somewhat silly, yet I still appreciate the extra touch, is they actually label every feature with an identifying patch so that you know what that feature is for - map pocket, hydration pack, chance pocket, etc. Lastly, it includes 2 different sets of straps, one to carry it as a backpack, another to carry it as a messenger bag. The clever thing I appreciate about the backpack straps is that it orients the hole for the hydration pack's drinking tube so that it is at the top of your back so if you're wearing it you can easily take a drink of water. I honestly see myself using this thing when I go out hiking or having a day out in the park with my kids since it can hold so much and carry a large amount of water as well.

With all these great features, there are still some cons to this bag. The previously mentioned map pocket is a big one. Another is the rubberized surface on the bottom of the bag leaves smudges on the tank so I constantly have to rub off the black smudges. It also likes to pick up gravel or dirt if I set it on the ground, I've made the mistake already of not doing a good enough job of cleaning it off before putting it back on the tank and got a couple of bad scratches in the paint. The only other odd thing about the bag is that the width of the main pocket tapers down from back to front which can limit what you can carry by a little bit. It isn't that bad, just sometimes need to re-pack things to allow it all to fit.
reaubideux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2012, 02:13 PM   #16
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

I rock a back pack but my commute is like 10 min.
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2012, 03:08 PM   #17
TomServo
ninjette.org member

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R; 2003 SV650S

I'm in the tank bag camp. Commute 20-25 min one way every day.

I use a Joe Rocket Manta XL. Big enough to hold my gym clothes, my lunch, and my phone/wallet/iPod. I use the cell phone compartment on top for my garage door opener.

A backpack during the Florida summers would be brutal!

TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2012, 03:51 PM   #18
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
If my backpack is particularly heavy I will loosen the straps all the way and it will just rest on the backseat relieving pressure from my back and shoulders
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2012, 04:10 PM   #19
EsrTek

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

Haven't read replies, just replying to OP, so forgive me if this was said....

Get the Rapid Transit Recon 19 magnetic tank bag Linky Comes with straps to turn into a backpack.
I am not 100% about Rapid Transits bags all coming w/ straps but this one did and so did my RT Platoon tail bag. So maybe all their models do.
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2012, 04:37 PM   #20
Felipe the Ant
ninjette.org sage

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE GREEN!

Backpack, always. It's just who I am I guess. If I go anywhere and I'm not in a car I bring a backpack, so like bicycle, skateboard, walking, etc. Plus you have the bonus of all your stuff being on you at all times if you park somewhere.

Old January 27th, 2012, 01:21 AM   #21
Slono
ninjette.org guru

Very interesting points and good recommendations made by everyone. Thanks to all who have replied so far... I'm still shopping and I haven't settled on one bag yet.

Has anybody ever tried to ride with a camping backpack, or is that just way too big to have on you while you ride?

Old January 27th, 2012, 06:13 AM   #22
reaubideux
Perpetual Newb

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2010 MIB Ninja 250R [sold]; 2006 CBR600RR [sold]; 2013 Triumph Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
Commute 20-25 min one way every day.
A backpack during the Florida summers would be brutal!
THIS. Pretty much the same way here in St. Louis - hot and humid - feels like you're riding around with a warm, wet rag draped over your face with a hairdryer blowing hot air on you. I rode around last summer with my backpack and a mesh jacket and the bag just blocked all the airflow.

@Slono, don't know how the summers are where you live, but if they get pretty warm, and you plan to ride around for any lengthy period of time then your back will probably get drenched.

Also, to add to my original reply, like TomServo (great name, btw ), I also commute everyday (when the weather cooperates, even during this winter) about 25 minutes each way and also take several hour long rides on the weekends when I can actually get out so that's why I'm a proponent for a tank/tail bag. If you really only plan to commute a short ways and don't plan to frequently take long rides then I'd probably stick with a back pack too. There'd be no real need to get a motorcycle-specific backpack and a regular backpack is pretty cheap anyway. Just make sure to not put anything in the backpack that can injure you should you wreck.

Additionally, with my tank bag, it obviously does keep me from completely tucking but I've found it's never really been an issue as I've never really had a reason to need to tuck all the way down. I'm able to tuck down more than enough to get out of the wind when I have my tank bag. Plus, if I'm not worried about breaking anything in the bag, it makes a nice cushion to rest my chest on when cruising down the highway and tucking down a bit.
reaubideux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2012, 10:45 PM   #23
Slono
ninjette.org guru

Gaaaah I don't know anymore. I love my backpack and would have to get used to carrying a lot less if I had a tank bag, or tail bag for that matter. Ultimately I the ability to be mobile with my belongings and have it feel good on my back off the bike makes me consider not buying a tank bag. I may consider buying a tank bag in the future, but that also means I'd have to upgrade my windscreen because I wouldn't be able to ride in a full-tuck position.

I currently own THIS backpack.

It has the chest and waist straps so I'm able to alleviate the pressure from my shoulders a bit by synching those up. Still, the comfort is not as good as if I didn't have a backpack. Riding becomes much more fun without a backpack on!

Old January 30th, 2012, 02:12 PM   #24
miss_syn
my hair matches my bike

Name: Tiffany

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Red 250r

I was an avid backpacker but I'm looking into tail bags. I feel your pain. I have an hour commute to work and the backpack is handy for the walk but it's really hot and tiring.

I would try folding carefully, and seeing what you can eliminate.
miss_syn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2012, 02:15 PM   #25
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

So I have a little update to my backpack I posted earlier. I slid on it and my ass for almost a football field yesterday after having a spill at 50ish

Needless to say my backpack (along with other gear) saved my back, and ass literally

Old January 30th, 2012, 04:44 PM   #26
Slono
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2109 View Post
So I have a little update to my backpack I posted earlier. I slid on it and my ass for almost a football field yesterday after having a spill at 50ish

Needless to say my backpack (along with other gear) saved my back, and ass literally
Oh shiet, are you alright?

How did the backpack end up under your ass?

Old January 30th, 2012, 04:45 PM   #27
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slono View Post
Oh shiet, are you alright?

How did the backpack end up under your ass?
Im fine cuz of gear

It didnt und up under lol I was just laying on it when I was sliding

Old January 30th, 2012, 05:21 PM   #28
Slono
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Im fine cuz of gear

It didnt und up under lol I was just laying on it when I was sliding
Is the backpack still usable? HAH!

Old January 30th, 2012, 05:22 PM   #29
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Hell yeah it is, apparently they use some strong ass plastic lol

Old January 30th, 2012, 05:29 PM   #30
Slono
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Hell yeah it is, apparently they use some strong ass plastic lol
Got a picture of it? That's nuts man...

Old January 30th, 2012, 05:37 PM   #31
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Dont ask me how there isnt more damage, I have no idea how, I guess im just a lucky mother ****er

Heres the backpack

Jacket

And just another reason spending money on designer jeans is worth it!

And my phone that was in my pocket Phone still works, **** yeah evo

Old January 30th, 2012, 05:46 PM   #32
Slono
ninjette.org guru

You're one lucky son of a gun. That damage seems very minimal dude.

Old January 30th, 2012, 06:00 PM   #33
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Now that we've made sure you're alright, it's time for the big question. How's the bike?
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2012, 10:17 PM   #34
NDspd

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

Quote:
Axio Swift, get it

I'd get one of those if I didn't have a racing hump on my jacket already.

Old January 30th, 2012, 10:19 PM   #35
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDspd View Post
Agreed, if i had a hump on mine I would have never got it. Are there are backpacks that work with a hump?

Old January 30th, 2012, 11:23 PM   #36
Slono
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDspd View Post
+1

Old January 30th, 2012, 11:29 PM   #37
GlassAnkles
ninjette.org member

Name: Mo

Motorcycle(s): 02 zx-12r, 13 zx-10r abs

Whoa what a slide, glad your ok.

Im guessing that backpack will be with you forever now, memories of the slide
GlassAnkles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2012, 09:31 PM   #38
NDspd

Quote:
Agreed, if i had a hump on mine I would have never got it. Are there are backpacks that work with a hump?
You know what...that's a great question. Most likely no, I usually just have to losen my straps up a little bit.

Old February 1st, 2012, 09:54 AM   #39
menikmati
crash 250, get supersport

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

I just realized that I'll have to get a tank bag since I'm getting a jacket with a hump in it. I've decided to go with the Icon Urban, doubles as a tank bag and a backpack for under $100.
menikmati is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2012, 09:59 AM   #40
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassAnkles View Post
Whoa what a slide, glad your ok.

Im guessing that backpack will be with you forever now, memories of the slide
Yup, I'll still use it, its mostly fine!