ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Notices

Old August 27th, 2017, 01:36 AM   #1
JustRidin
ninjette.org member

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2007 R6, 2015 KTM 250XC - Past: 2011 KTM 150XC, 2009 Ninja 250r, 2012 Ninja 650, 2007 CRF250R

New Rider and Overconfident

So this is the story of my younger brother's first motorcycle accident.

This was a dirt biking accident at relatively slow speed and not involving 2 ton vehicles. Despite this he still suffered a serious injury. Overconfidence, complacency and a lack of skill can injure, maim and kill at 20 mph or 200 mph.

So as it goes...

I took my 15 year old brother out dirt biking a month ago for the first time. He'd ridden a friends dirt bike on flat ground several times and had the clutch work down, but no real skills past that.

Our first day out we rode 6 hours or so along loose gravel or hard pack trails. He had a few tip overs on and one fall but nothing except his pride was injured. We had taken it slow and his confidence was obviously building. Our second day out we take a morning ride. He's improved considerably in the last day and has zero issues through the trails. I'm quite impressed with how quickly he appears to have progressed. After lunch we notice a few storm clouds gathering in the distance and decide to sneak in one more ride, this one along the fire roads we typically used just to access trails.

A friend of mine takes off in front, faster than we've been going, he wants to make the last ride a bit more exciting. Foolishly I allow myself to join in the spirit and sprint after him.

Despite my firm and repeated insistence to my younger brother to ride his own pace and not push himself to keep up, he races after me. I should have known he would; he's a 15 year old, it's my mistake.

Ten minutes into the ride, my brother comes upon a small rise. Just over the rise is a fairly sharp right turn downhill. While he was able to zip along at 20 mph or so on the straights and flats with confidence he's unprepared and unskilled at handling these turns. He turns the handlebars, locks up the front wheel into a skid and lowsides. Shatters his right elbow and humorous.

A gruelling, bumpy two hour ride with a dangling arm to the nearest medical center, an hour ambulance back to the city (now on morphine thankfully), several rounds of imaging and consultations with the on-staff doctor, a call to mom who is out of state, a sleepless night, a 5 hour surgery in the morning and two days in the hospital. He's discharged with new hardware; over a dozen screws and two titanium plates.

Docs estimate 6-9 months recovery and full use of arm/joint.

Lessons learned:
1. New riders, especially young ones, can allow overconfidence to put them in situations they can't handle. The same applies to experienced riders.

2. Treat riders you are teaching as a liability to themselves. Don't give them a reason to ride above their skill level.

3. Don't put a GoPro on a 15 year old boy who likes to show off. He now has an audience. He only wore it on the ride he crashed during and later said he felt like he had to look good for the video.

4. Make sure you have a reliable communication line. We were lucky enough to be relatively close to medical facilities, but if he had had a compound fracture or worse, medical evac would have likely been needed. It took me over 30 minutes just to get a call out to our mom due to poor reception.

5. Don't try and push yourself too much because the day/weekend/ride is ending. It's not worth the risk; there will be a next time.

Old August 27th, 2017, 06:25 AM   #2
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Sorry to hear that.

He certainly did a number on that arm. That's a ton of hardware.

Hoping he will have a full recovery.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2017, 06:41 AM   #3
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

Ouch! I'm glad he'll be ok. Was he wearing armor?
Ralgha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2017, 07:08 AM   #4
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
It's amazing how often the last ride of the trip/event is the one that gets you. It's happened to me and others I know.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2017, 08:54 AM   #5
Topaz
ninjette.org member

Name: Topaz

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 / Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM

Sorry for your brother. Hope he gets better.

That looks like a lot of hardware. Aren't doctors exaggerating with the hardware on these days?
Topaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2017, 09:59 AM   #6
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13

Best wishes for a speeding and full recovery.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2017, 01:58 PM   #7
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Ouch! I'm glad he's expected to make a full recovery.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2017, 07:30 PM   #8
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Wow! Hope your brother recovers cleanly! One of my friends went down last winter in dirt-bike crash. Finally getting back to former self, but her lap-times still hasn't recovered yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
That looks like a lot of hardware. Aren't doctors exaggerating with the hardware on these days?
Each screw is billed @ $5001 each. Gotta use enough that insurance at least covers cost of operation.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2017, 09:08 AM   #9
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250r(SOLD) 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r full Muzzy(my pride and joy)

Poor kid! Glad he will be ok. He will certainly get frustrated at times given his age but it will be a true test of character in rehab. Tell him to keep pushin'! Awesome that he will get back to 100% and that he has his life! God bless!

Old August 31st, 2017, 05:08 PM   #10
JustRidin
ninjette.org member

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2007 R6, 2015 KTM 250XC - Past: 2011 KTM 150XC, 2009 Ninja 250r, 2012 Ninja 650, 2007 CRF250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralgha View Post
Ouch! I'm glad he'll be ok. Was he wearing armor?
He had motocross boots on, helmet, gloves, and 'light' elbow padding.

All things considered, he's "lucky" in that he's a resilient kid and he doesn't seem to have too much of a mental hang up on it. He's very cognizant of what he did wrong and quite vocal about it, but still calls me frequently to ask about riding next summer when he visits again.

Next round I'll be suiting him up in beefier padding though.