ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 5th, 2011, 03:57 PM   #1
modrummer
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Adam

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250r

Strange clicking noise started last night... help?

Ok so last night I got home from a long day of riding (lot of interstate sadly :/), and as I'm pulling into the driveway, I hear this weird clicking noise coming from the bike. It only happens (or is at least only audible) between about 1200 and 2000 RPM. I attached a video to see if any of you can recognize what this sound is. The bike still rides perfectly so it doesn't seem to affect performance, but it's a pretty noticeable sound so it has me worried.

If I had to guess, I'd say it's coming from the area I circled in red (transmission?)

Video:

modrummer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2011, 01:45 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Any updates on this, has it gotten any louder or anything else?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2011, 02:53 PM   #3
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

How many miles on the bike? When was the last time you have a valve adjustment?
Does the bike still run?
You still on here?
(That post was almost 10 weeks ago).
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2011, 03:22 PM   #4
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

When you say that the noise is only between 1200 and 2000 RPM it sounds like you're saying the noise only happens when you have the engine running at just about idle speed, and you probably have the clutch in also.

There's a noise EX-250s sometimes make at idle (within the conditions you've described) that tells you the hard-rubber bumpers that normally are the interface between the engine's output shaft (crankshaft) and the backside of the clutch basket have deteriorated or are completely gone. Once these hard-rubber bumpers are gone the metal "dogs" on the engine's output shaft will rattle against the metal of the clutch basket.

All this is located inside the rounded metal housing just below and slightly aft of the area you've got circled in your picture (where the clutch cable connects and the engine oil filler cap is located). So it's easy to misdiagnose the source of the noise. People often think it's coming from the Cam Chain Tensioner (CCT) which is the area you've circled on your picture.

Take a look at the information in this article, it contains a description of the problem and also a way to diagnose whether this problem is truly what's wrong with your bike's engine:

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/What%27..._the_clutch%3F

One way to tell for sure if the hard-rubber bumpers are coming apart is to change the oil and while you've got the crankcase empty you remove the oil-screen to see if there are chunks/bits of hard, black rubber all over it.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2011, 09:30 AM   #5
spooph
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
It's your cam-chain tensioner and it's not really gonna hurt anything, but it should be taken of.... Take it out, take it apart, clean it, grease it and slap it back in. See if it fixes it... On the pre-gens, the spring for the tensioner is just a few bucks, so you might want to think about replacing it.... I don't know much about pre-gens, but I did a buddy's valves a few years ago and initially we thought it was the cam chain stretched beyond limits.... The cam chain was fine, and it was the tensioner.... Many people dog on the auto-cam chain tensioners, but nobody ever maintains them when they do the valves on the bike, so no wonder they fail. I've had little problems with mine if I maintain it when I do my valves and I have 50K+ on the bike...

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2011, 04:43 PM   #6
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

My bike has the clutch basket problem and the sound in the video did not sound like that.

However, you can easily test for the clutch basket problem by putting the bike in gear and then put a little load on the engine at idle. If the clicking sound goes away, then its the clutch basket.

I recommend that you do the above test first, and if its still necessary, then use an automotive stethoscope to see if you can find the source of the sound.

Old August 28th, 2011, 05:38 PM   #7
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Like spooph said get the cam-chain tensioner changed out. If it's still there.... well it's gonna suck, trust me. How do I know? Exactly what my bike was doing. Did the tensioner, and that didn't work. So now it is getting the cam-chain changed (NOT cheap to have done and very advanced to do yourself so be careful). Hopefully the tensioner does the trick cause if not you could be looking at easily a $700-$800 cam-chain change from just about any shop. This was the price I got from 3 different shops in my area because it requires taking the engine out, cracking it open, changing the chain, guides, putting new gaskets on (usually best to not reuse most gaskets) and then putting it all back together.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote