ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old February 4th, 2011, 05:01 PM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[hell for leather] - New Jersey gets serious about motorcycle safety

There’s a host of motorcycle safety laws that’ve been rolled out nationwide recently. Oregon is mandating MSF-style training for all new riders by 2015, California now requires under 21s to complete an MSF class and Utah only allows you to operate a motorcycle as large as the one you test on. Now New Jersey is [...]

Click here for full story...

Old February 5th, 2011, 02:01 PM   #2
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I guess before long every state will have some sort of safety class requirement. New Jersey is wasting no time changing some of their motorcycle laws. Last August they no longer have a requirement to to have a State Inspection. They are making it the owner's responsibility to make sure their motorcycles are free from mechanical defects and are operating properly.

http://www.newjerseynewsroom.com/sta...orcycle-riders
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2011, 05:02 PM   #3
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja zx6r

Not sure I agree with the tiered licensing. It gives the impression that you are somehow safer on a smaller CC'd bike which is not true. I have no problem with the mandatory MSF classes though, in fact, I think they should redefine them and make them longer and include actual road training.
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2011, 05:40 PM   #4
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dre

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300, 2008 ZX6, 2011 Ninja 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by revstriker View Post
I think they should redefine them and make them longer and include actual road training.
Totally agree. Road training should be a requirement. I think MSF just doesn't want the liability associated with road training. To have someone go down on the road under their watch would be a lawsuit waiting to happen.
gogoKawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2011, 05:55 PM   #5
Bear on a bicycle
Ninjette?? Oh no!!!

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250, 2008 Kawasaki Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by revstriker View Post
Not sure I agree with the tiered licensing. It gives the impression that you are somehow safer on a smaller CC'd bike which is not true. I have no problem with the mandatory MSF classes though, in fact, I think they should redefine them and make them longer and include actual road training.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogoKawi View Post
Totally agree. Road training should be a requirement. I think MSF just doesn't want the liability associated with road training. To have someone go down on the road under their watch would be a lawsuit waiting to happen.

I agree!!
Bear on a bicycle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2011, 08:17 PM   #6
eddiekay
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

Tiered licensing sounds good because so few of us understand it's purpose. First...never ever done to protect anyone but the State. Here's how it works: the State endorses the operation of MC's by individuals who have met State requirements for said operation...therefore..the State can be argued as having some responsibility for those endorsed as MC drivers..
OK...MC driver gets in accident, has no insurance or not enough insurance to cover loss. Some body has to get paid...somebody has to sue somebody and the lawyers turn to the State....becuz...after all...it was the State who let them on the road in the first place.
The State doesnt like this but cant just revoke all MC licenses...cuz they need to get re-elected but they can make it more difficult to become a MC operator.....enter Tiered Licensing. And when even that is not enough, they can make the tiers so diffcult or expensive to meet that, in effect, they put an end to MC licensing and those pesky lil' lawsuits.
It's not about protecting the puiblic...it's about protecting the State from lawsuits....IMHO
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2011, 10:56 PM   #7
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Personally I agree with tiered licensing. Many other countries have been using those systems for years and have tons less problems with bikes then the US does. Also think of this, most of the best racers in the world will tell you that they started small. Racing small bikes and working up getting better and better. The other thing it does is removes the peer pressure about having to get the bike your buddies have even though you were no where near ready for it. It will help to pop the egos of the ultra-macho that think you need big or nothing else to have fun. There's tons of advantages to tiered systems IMHO.

It will also help bring in more small bike types to the US market and create more competition.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2011, 10:37 AM   #8
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

IMO, it is largely the attitudes, not the bikes, that cause the problems. Starting on an R1 is dangerous. But, the person who thinks he can start on an R1 is also the person who doesn't take gear, practice, or safety seriously, and is in fact himself the primary problem. Tiered licensing would, however, by forcing people to start on smaller bikes, help foster a more positive attitude toward them. That, in turn, will help people to better appreciate the actual "riding" part of MCing, instead of just "who had the baddest, most powerful machine in the parking lot."

Old February 6th, 2011, 02:34 PM   #9
Bleak21
ninjette.org member

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninjette

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiekay View Post
Tiered licensing sounds good because so few of us understand it's purpose. First...never ever done to protect anyone but the State. Here's how it works: the State endorses the operation of MC's by individuals who have met State requirements for said operation...therefore..the State can be argued as having some responsibility for those endorsed as MC drivers..
OK...MC driver gets in accident, has no insurance or not enough insurance to cover loss. Some body has to get paid...somebody has to sue somebody and the lawyers turn to the State....becuz...after all...it was the State who let them on the road in the first place.
The State doesnt like this but cant just revoke all MC licenses...cuz they need to get re-elected but they can make it more difficult to become a MC operator.....enter Tiered Licensing. And when even that is not enough, they can make the tiers so diffcult or expensive to meet that, in effect, they put an end to MC licensing and those pesky lil' lawsuits.
It's not about protecting the puiblic...it's about protecting the State from lawsuits....IMHO
QFT, mostly. If you live in NJ you know how much insurance companies run this state like their cotton plantation. Control, control, control because of so many densely populated people (customers) but mostly for those other mysterious groups pulling the strings (investors).
Bleak21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2011, 11:25 AM   #10
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

My only comment is that the newsbot (or anyone else for that matter) shouldn't post links to stories that you can't read without a subscription. I have no interest in subscribing to this magazine just to read the story.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2011, 08:28 PM   #11
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I see your point; Hell for Leather used to be completely open, and now they close off many (perhaps most?) of their direct links. But some of the things they report are unique, and we'd lose even the notification of something interesting happening.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote