ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 13th, 2013, 01:18 PM   #1
Insan3guy
ninjette.org member

Name: Patrick

Motorcycle(s): 2015 zx6r

Thumbs up Is this supposed to be here? (hole in pregen airbox) [yes it is]

So I'm doing the carbs while I have a couple days off, and I figured that I'd clean up the bike a bit. I was cleaning out the airbox (just using air and a rag, didn't want to take the chance on a chemical that might eat the plastic), and I found a strange hole... It looks drilled, but I'm really not sure whether or not it's supposed to be there?

It's on the left section of the box(looked for one on the right, none there); looking at it from the left side, it's on the bottom right. I'll attach some pics.

Also, if it's /not/ designed like that, what can be used to plug it? I have some ABS cement left over from a fairing repair, would that be okay to use?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0434.JPG (173.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0436.JPG (205.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0437.JPG (231.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0439.jpg (63.6 KB, 4 views)

Last futzed with by Insan3guy; July 14th, 2013 at 10:20 PM.
Insan3guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2013, 01:22 PM   #2
fishdip
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

I think its a drain hole as mine also has the same hole.

Old July 13th, 2013, 01:24 PM   #3
Insan3guy
ninjette.org member

thanks for the fast reply!

Yeah, I figured that since it already had a drain hose it shouldn't have any more holes in it. Oh well

Thanks!

Old July 13th, 2013, 01:39 PM   #4
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 2001

Mine has the hole!
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2013, 10:06 PM   #5
jayman87
ninjette.org member

Name: Jaeson

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja ex250

Mine has that too. Oil started leaking out of it and dripping down the side of the bike. I couldn't figured out where that was coming from for a min. Found it and plugged it with some Permatex. I hope that was the right thing to do. Or more so that it doesn't cause problems.
jayman87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2013, 10:09 PM   #6
Insan3guy
ninjette.org member

If it's there from the manufacturer I can only assume it's important to the operation of the bike.
Oil coming out of it is probably to keep that same oil from going somewhere more important, like the carbs

Old July 15th, 2013, 02:19 AM   #7
baxtc1
ninjette.org member

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): '92 GPX 250 (Gone and replaced with '08 V-Strom), 2005 Suzuki C50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman87 View Post
Mine has that too. Oil started leaking out of it and dripping down the side of the bike. I couldn't figured out where that was coming from for a min. Found it and plugged it with some Permatex. I hope that was the right thing to do. Or more so that it doesn't cause problems.
Too much oil in your filter? As it drips down and pools in the bottom, there is a convenient little hole for it to drain through.
baxtc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2013, 02:25 AM   #8
fishdip

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

I was thinking it was for water to drain out if it enters from the top of the box.

Old July 15th, 2013, 02:33 AM   #9
baxtc1
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): '92 GPX 250 (Gone and replaced with '08 V-Strom), 2005 Suzuki C50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdip View Post
I was thinking it was for water to drain out if it enters from the top of the box.
Correct.

Old July 15th, 2013, 04:14 PM   #10
jayman87
ninjette.org member

Name: Jaeson

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja ex250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insan3guy View Post
If it's there from the manufacturer I can only assume it's important to the operation of the bike.
Oil coming out of it is probably to keep that same oil from going somewhere more important, like the carbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxtc1 View Post
Too much oil in your filter? As it drips down and pools in the bottom, there is a convenient little hole for it to drain through.

I thought that's what the hose in the front of the airbox was for. Not the crank case breather but the little hose with the plug. I make sure to check that often after I clean and oil my filter, but the last time it I guess I didn't check it enough. Every time I came back to the bike, more oil was leaking. I was leaving oil stains everywhere so I plugged it. The comment about the water drainage makes me nervous though. I don't think anything could reach the carbs but it would definitely reach the crankcase.
jayman87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2013, 04:34 PM   #11
baxtc1
ninjette.org member

The hose at the lower front of the airbox is to drain any oil/condensate that builds up in your airbox, mostly from your crankcase breathing. The hole before the filter is there to drain any water that might get into the air inlet before the filter. If you get a little generous with oiling your filter (read, too much oil), the oil will drain down from the filter due to gravity, some of that oil will drain through the hole. That hole is before the filter so is not considered an air leak, the drain hose at the front lower of the airbox should be kept plugged to maintain the seal of the airbox and to prevent allowing unfiltered air into your engine. The crankcase breather hose should be connected to the crankcase and airbox for the same reason.
If you have oil running from that hole, you probably have too much oil on your filter.
Re-reading your post, is the oil coming from the hose or the hole near the filter? If it is from the hose you may have excessive breathing from your engine, or too high an oil level.