ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Videos

Old September 10th, 2010, 06:09 PM   #1
AndyRavag3
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): None yet - Hopefully a ninjette when I get my licence :D

Sometimes life just sucks...

Saw this floating around YT, not sure if it has been posted.. sorry if it has!!!

Link to original page on YouTube.

Scary stuff

AndyRavag3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2010, 06:31 PM   #2
bob706
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

wow that would most certainly suck bad
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2010, 06:32 PM   #3
jApOrMs
ninjette.org member

Name: jashobeam

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 250

this sucks even more
http://www.facebook.com/video/video....41334252573507
Sportisi Jet Kit (#100 Jet),Sportisi VR6 Full Exhaust, SystemSportisi TIS with BRT, Digital Koso gauge,Tank PadVinyl graphics, 150/60/R17, Targa FenderEliminator
jApOrMs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2010, 07:06 PM   #4
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

Another example of s*** happens. That is pretty horrible

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2010, 07:09 PM   #5
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Quote:
Originally Posted by jApOrMs View Post
did not need to see that
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2010, 08:54 PM   #6
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

But I thought all accidents could be avoided?

Here's another good example of $h!t happens.

sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2010, 09:02 PM   #7
BIGT94z
ninjette.org member

Name: b

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 250r

what did that civic do lock up his back brake with the e-brake or what!?
BIGT94z is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2010, 09:19 PM   #8
sombo

That's the theory most have. Seems the most probable.

Old September 10th, 2010, 10:00 PM   #9
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post
That's the theory most have. Seems the most probable.
Wow I watched her interview happy she made it out without extremely serious injuries. I agree with the locking of the rear, it is common for a FF car to swing out like that if you lock the rear and give a slight steering input while braking hard. Idiots on the road.

Old September 11th, 2010, 03:41 PM   #10
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

WOW...totally sucks!

Old September 11th, 2010, 04:03 PM   #11
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Wow... not a good day.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2010, 05:05 PM   #12
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

You guys should watch her TLC interview it was pretty interesting.

Old September 12th, 2010, 11:33 AM   #13
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

link?

Old September 12th, 2010, 11:41 AM   #14
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
link?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xZtetIzIW4 IDK know how to embed videos lol
EDIT: Oh I guess it worked then

Old September 12th, 2010, 11:50 AM   #15
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00NissanNinja View Post

Link to original page on YouTube. IDK know how to embed videos lol

Ugh. I hate that kind of reporting. Manufactured drama. Ridiculous statements that they don't dwell on long enough to realize that it wasn't even worth using. Cutting off quotes mid-word over and over. Ugh.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2010, 11:59 AM   #16
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Ugh. I hate that kind of reporting. Manufactured drama. Ridiculous statements that they don't dwell on long enough to realize that it wasn't even worth using. Cutting off quotes mid-word over and over. Ugh.
They always make more drama than there really is, that is how reporting is. I just wanted to see the after effects of the crash cause I am curious

Old September 12th, 2010, 12:25 PM   #17
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00NissanNinja View Post
They always make more drama than there really is, that is how reporting is. I just wanted to see the after effects of the crash cause I am curious
The coup de grace is when they get a chiropractor to say "This is the most extraordinary accident and recovery I've ever had in any of my patients." The accident is his opinion, but if that's the most extraordinary recovery he's ever had without even broken bones, how does he ever expect to convince people that chiropractors aren't useless quacks? It's just a bone-headed thing to even say and I'm sure they coached him to say it. Most people would not take a chiropractor's statement as proof of being hurt anyway, especially when he admits that it's just inflammatory. And "months" or no, there's no evidence that the therapy helped for a simple case of inflammation. When I slipped in oil and went down in full gear from a standing position, there was absolutely no impact on my ribs and my gear absorbed everything else, yet I still had a horribly painful cramp in my right rib cage for almost two months. It didn't even feel like it was getting better for the first month. I couldn't even get up from a laying-down position. If I was in therapy the whole time and it took the same time to finish, would they have tried to take credit?

Just because they were able to talk to her they thought they could take a little crash clip and blow it up into a full segment without adding ANYTHING worth watching. Pointless clips of the subject walking around and discussing their unrelated job just to kill time? Check. Looping the video while completely unsubstatiated statements like "This is the moment that Dawn's dedication to her craft literally saved her life" (as if getting thrown over the handlebars was a skill)? Check. Stupid music and go-nowhere focus on paralysis, to raise suspense? Check. Oh, and that is considered an illegal lane split, even in CA.

Old September 12th, 2010, 12:42 PM   #18
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Quote:
The coup de grace is when they get a chiropractor who admits that it was all inflammatory to say "This is the most extraordinary accident and recovery I've ever had in any of my patients." The accident is his opinion, but if that's the most extraordinary recovery he's ever had, how does he ever expect to convince people that chiropractors aren't useless quacks? It's just a bone-headed thing to even say and I'm sure they coached him to say it. And "months" or no, there's no evidence that the therapy helped for a simple case of inflammation. When I slipped in oil and went down in full gear from a standing position, there was absolutely no impact on my ribs and my gear absorbed everything else, yet I still had a horribly painful cramp in my right rib cage for almost two months. It didn't even feel like it was getting better for the first month. I couldn't even get up from a laying-down position. If I was in therapy the whole time and it took the same time to finish, would they have tried to take credit?

Just because they were able to talk to her they thought they could take a little crash clip and blow it up into a full segment without adding ANYTHING worth watching. Pointless clips of the subject walking around and discussing their unrelated job just to kill time? Check. Completely unsubstatiated claims like "This is the moment that Dawn's dedication to her craft literally saved her life" (as if getting thrown over the handlebars was a skill)? Check. Stupid music and focus on paralysis, to raise suspense? Check. Oh, and that is considered an illegal lane split, even in CA.
Oh yeah I do feel you on that stuff. when that chiropractor said all that stuff I was like that is some bs she definitely was not as injured as they made it seem. I see a chiropractor (well used too), for an accident where I got rear ended that caused my back and neck to become out of sync, I really feel that nothing really happens as a result of getting the treatment. Within an hour my pains come right back and my neck stiffens right back up and cracks. Only thing that really works is for me to do things that help it out.

Old September 12th, 2010, 01:38 PM   #19
sombo

Quote:
Oh, and that is considered an illegal lane split, even in CA.
Ummm, what lane split? She was never lane splitting. She was in her own lane when the idiot to her left locked up the rear and turned sideways in her lane blocking her path completely.

edit: Oh you meant in the longer video, I didn't watch that one till after I commented. I thought you meant in the one I posted.

Old September 16th, 2010, 12:04 AM   #20
Cazper
ninjaholic

Name: Dustin

Motorcycle(s): 09' SE 250R (sold), 03' ZX-6R, 99' XL1200C SP

For an "accomplished" rider she made a stupid move putting herself in a pinch point. She could have easily avoided the whole crash if she would have simply swerved into the HOV lane to her left instead. Why would you put yourself infront of a moving vehicle?

The first video, still a slight chance of avoiding the scenario by possibly serving to the right out of the path of the oncoming vehicle.

I'm done now.
Cazper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2010, 12:58 AM   #21
harlumjp
ninjette.org member

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): Totaled 2010 Ninja 250r :(

video trips me out a bit since I was riding 2-up on that same freeway today...
harlumjp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2010, 06:05 PM   #22
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazper View Post
For an "accomplished" rider she made a stupid move putting herself in a pinch point. She could have easily avoided the whole crash if she would have simply swerved into the HOV lane to her left instead. Why would you put yourself infront of a moving vehicle?

The first video, still a slight chance of avoiding the scenario by possibly serving to the right out of the path of the oncoming vehicle.

I'm done now.
I probably need to watch it again but, obviously, when a vehicle comes from your left, you look to go right for many reason, one being that the vehicle coming from the left may correct and return to the left and another being that there may be another vehicle blocking entry to the left and another being that it's good general practice (shoulders are always on the right, oncoming lanes are always on the left). First she uses the available space to move right while checking to see if she can continue moving right. She can't but it made sense to check there first rather than wasting time checking to the left (same chances of being occupied, worse chances of being appropriate). By that time, it was too late to change her mind and go left. Split-second decisions are often irrevocable, and I think she went the right direction.

Obviously, the reverse is true for places that drive on the left.

Edit: I watched it again. Sure enough, we viewers have no idea what was to her left because the camera was mounted on the right and the FOV wasn't wide enough. FWIW, I got the feeling that there was a vehicle there.

Old September 16th, 2010, 06:40 PM   #23
Cazper
ninjaholic

Well, I suppose even if that was the case (a vehicle being there that is) she could have easily slowed down enough to get behind the silver car to her right instead of pushing herself between the two vehicles... either way... totally avoidable.

I still say that I would prefer to go behind the out of control car that especially once it turned 90 deg. than going in front of it. The chance of it "coming back into that lane" are very slim at that point. Just my .02

Old September 17th, 2010, 09:49 PM   #24
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja zx6r

Quote:
Well, I suppose even if that was the case (a vehicle being there that is) she could have easily slowed down enough to get behind the silver car to her right instead of pushing herself between the two vehicles... either way... totally avoidable.

I still say that I would prefer to go behind the out of control car that especially once it turned 90 deg. than going in front of it. The chance of it "coming back into that lane" are very slim at that point. Just my .02
When you watch the video in real time, the whole thing happens in about 1 second. She has very little time to react and is probably going much too fast to swerve so sharply that she would go around the car.
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2010, 04:58 PM   #25
Cazper
ninjaholic

I watched it about 10 times in a row, I still say that at the exact time that she begins to swerve right... if she would have swerved left she would have went behind the car.

Also, if she was "going to fast" thats easily prevented too... SLOW DOWN (in general not just for the accident). I'm not going to justify that there was no way that crash couldn't have been prevented... all you have to do is take out some of the conditions and suddenly this video isn't seen by anyone because it's just a normal commute to work with no crash.

I'm done now, no point in me saying the same things over and over... I'll leave this thread alone now.

Old September 19th, 2010, 01:03 PM   #26
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
I watched it about 10 times in a row, I still say that at the exact time that she begins to swerve right... if she would have swerved left she would have went behind the car.

Also, if she was "going to fast" thats easily prevented too... SLOW DOWN (in general not just for the accident). I'm not going to justify that there was no way that crash couldn't have been prevented... all you have to do is take out some of the conditions and suddenly this video isn't seen by anyone because it's just a normal commute to work with no crash.

I'm done now, no point in me saying the same things over and over... I'll leave this thread alone now.
Even when the car was completely sideways/perpendicular, it was still covering the majority of the left lane. Moving there would have been equally risky than staying in her current lane. Also, moving left takes away from he forward distance covered in X time so, even if there wasn't a vehicle there (which you seem to be assuming there wasn't), it would have allowed another vehicle to catch up a bit.

IOW, if a car is behind you in a lane to either side and you change lanes using a sudden swerve, the car will be closer to you than it would if you used a gradual change.

Old September 19th, 2010, 07:45 PM   #27
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Talk about being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2010, 12:32 PM   #28
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Rose

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Blue Ninja 250R

I can't re-watch the video cause I'm at work now but I remember at some point in the long video she picked up her bike and flipped it to the opposite direction like it was made of feathers

She was saying something like "it's not about the weight, but about the balance". Can you really pick up your bike like that? I want to know how so I stop backing up from my driveway all the time
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2010, 01:32 PM   #29
jApOrMs
ninjette.org member

Name: jashobeam

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
I can't re-watch the video cause I'm at work now but I remember at some point in the long video she picked up her bike and flipped it to the opposite direction like it was made of feathers

She was saying something like "it's not about the weight, but about the balance". Can you really pick up your bike like that? I want to know how so I stop backing up from my driveway all the time
it looks like it's on stand and she just did pivot on it.
Sportisi Jet Kit (#100 Jet),Sportisi VR6 Full Exhaust, SystemSportisi TIS with BRT, Digital Koso gauge,Tank PadVinyl graphics, 150/60/R17, Targa FenderEliminator
jApOrMs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2010, 04:10 PM   #30
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jApOrMs View Post
it looks like it's on stand and she just did pivot on it.
Can you do that on the side stand?

Old September 20th, 2010, 04:28 PM   #31
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

Quote:
Can you do that on the side stand?
You can, although I'm not sure how much I would trust the sidestand to hold up after many times of doing it.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2010, 04:31 PM   #32
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-os View Post
You can, although I'm not sure how much I would trust the sidestand to hold up after many times of doing it.
I think I'll keep backing up from the garage then

Old September 20th, 2010, 05:04 PM   #33
Cuongism

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

When I had a garage in Boston, I did this everyday for a year with no issues (bike was also about 450 lbs). I preferred to do this since my driveway was a steep hill so rather ride out.

Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2010, 06:39 PM   #34
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuongism View Post

When I had a garage in Boston, I did this everyday for a year with no issues (bike was also about 450 lbs). I preferred to do this since my driveway was a steep hill so rather ride out.

Nice!! So I showed this video to the hubby, whose major concern was: "Just don't drop it on MY bike!"

Old September 29th, 2010, 11:01 AM   #35
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Quote:

One thing to understand, is that it takes several hundred milliseconds for the brain to actually process and present to the consciousness what the eyes see. You can see a video viewpoint of something happening, but keep in mind the video is ahead of the consciousness. That's what reaction times are all about. To a third party two things may happen simultaneously, but to the parties in the event the action and perception appear to occur at two different times.

As to the Honda driver, he jerked the emergency brake to skid the rear tires on purpose, and then lost control. Notice his front tires are not only not countersteered but are actually initially steered toward her lane.

Other than not being on the road that day there's not really anything she could have done to prevent this event. The Honda driver is 100% at fault in this scenario, all theories of possibilities aside. Yeah, that lying scumbag is just another reason why I video record every inch I ride my bike.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 29th, 2010, 12:48 PM   #36
TrueFader
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Quote:
Nice!! So I showed this video to the hubby, whose major concern was: "Just don't drop it on MY bike!"
kickstands have been broken using this method, just a warning
TrueFader is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2012, 10:43 AM   #37
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Car slides into path of sports bike rider

Long-winded, corny-american-tv-style interview with the rider:

akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2012, 10:53 AM   #38
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i think it's funny when i hear people say that they are in complete control of their bike and nothing could make them crash because they ride within their limits and so they don't need to wear gear.

right.

Old October 10th, 2012, 11:17 AM   #39
Fappy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Stephen

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 650R, 2008 Ninja 250R (sold)

Wow. noob driver. Motorcyclist was lucky.
It looks the driver basically wasn't paying attention, and then looked and had to slam on the brakes really hard, causing a skid, which they then had no idea how to recover from...

Scary/ouch. I'm sitting in my office but I kind of want to just put my helmet on anyway lol.
Fappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2012, 11:19 AM   #40
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fappy View Post
I'm sitting in my office but I kind of want to just put my helmet on anyway lol.
ATGATT
akima is offline   Reply With Quote