ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 2nd, 2009, 10:45 AM   #1
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Name: Duckman

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, '06 Chopper, '80 Puch Magnum II, '01 SV650, '99 CR250/CR500AF Sportbike. '02 CRF450/CR500AF Dirt

Modified VS stock: comparisons: gas mileage/performance

So I went out for a ride with a friend of mine this week. He's got a brand new 2009, and I was riding my 2008.

Some of you may know that I've ripped out the airbox and replaced with pod filters, rejetted the bike, raised the needle jets, installed an AreaP exhaust and installed a 15/41 sprocket config.

We both filled up at the same station, and went on the same ride, after 188 miles, HE RAN OUT OF GAS on the interstate, lol. (We managed to get it started by leaning the bike over a bit and pulling the choke, which got him sputtering about another mile to the next gas station.) I still had about 1/8th tank to go so I didn't even think to stop for gas yet, in fact I am still running on that same tankful now.

A few other things to ponder:

1. He is about 5'10" and 110lbs and can fit his whole body behind the windscreen, lol.

I am 6'3" and about 250lbs, I sit up way higher into the windstream and my shoulders are about as wide as the mirrors with my gear on, thus having much more wind resistance.

2. I have a tendency to flog the throttle a lot, wheelies and lots of other crazy things wringing that little 250's neck.

He is a brand new rider and is much more conservative, carefully using only as much throttle as he feels comfortable with.

Even though those two things are greatly in his favor, I still got better gas mileage.

One other thing I noticed is that when I went out for a ride with a bunch of other stock 250s (old and new gen) that my bike was considerably faster, both in accelleration and top end. When they were all maxed out I could still pull past them in 5th gear and then upshift to 6th as necessary.

So do these mods work? YES!

It was nice to see that my mods had in fact made that great a real-world difference, without having to spend time (re)tuning for numbers on a dyno.

Its still no 600, but if you want to piss off your other friends also on Ninja250s go ahead and drop a few hundred bucks and tweak your bike out!
TheDuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2009, 10:53 AM   #2
tjkamper
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

To me is sounds like you have a green bike from all that Kelly has been telling us. If your bike isn't green, then maybe they mixed up the fairings at the factory.

Old August 2nd, 2009, 10:55 AM   #3
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Thanks for your advice TheDuck. My next major mod will be an area p & filter pods when it comes out for the pregens in late August.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2009, 11:07 AM   #4
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, '06 Chopper, '80 Puch Magnum II, '01 SV650, '99 CR250/CR500AF Sportbike. '02 CRF450/CR500AF Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkamper View Post
To me is sounds like you have a green bike from all that Kelly has been telling us. If your bike isn't green, then maybe they mixed up the fairings at the factory.
Actually, its blue. The green bikes are repainted blue ones.

Old August 2nd, 2009, 11:07 AM   #5
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

Ducky,
what's your jet settings?
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2009, 11:17 AM   #6
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomwalk101 View Post
Ducky,
what's your jet settings?
Offhand I don't remember, I posted it someplace else on here though. It was a yaer ago the last time I messed with it. I think I have 115s or 117s Kawi parts in there, and I raised the needles 3 washers. I am at sea level.

Old August 2nd, 2009, 12:44 PM   #7
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

If the other guy is getting 40mpg and driving conservately then he needs to take his bike in for a check up. I'm 6' and 215lbs getting 57mpg almost all the time with no performance mods. Your friend should be getting mid 60's with his weight alone.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2009, 12:55 PM   #8
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

Im about 5'10 145lbs completely stock bike. The best gas mileage I have come up with is 53mpg, I would expect better from this bike. I probably spend 60 or 70 percent of my time riding at above 70mph, I take off from every stop WFO unless there are cars in front of me, I can see why my mileage is so bad, but there are bikes with much more displacement that can get comparable mileage.
Cedilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2009, 02:46 PM   #9
ScorpionNinja

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

i get 65-68 MPG on avg now a days! 100% stock. highway at 70-75 mph, and city 55-60 mph. if i go for a cruise up north in michigan, sticking to 55mph back roads,enjoying the farm houses, old rusty classic cars/trucks for Sale along the roads.... i get 72-74.5 MPG! thats the best ive squeezed outta my Nate! im 5' 9" 167 lbs. stock windscreen also... still (will be getting a PUIG red/blk soon)

i dont see how your getting more mpg then him, without his bikes carbs being gummed up or sumin'. Poor gas in that tank of his, sitting around all winter w/0 Stabble in it? As far as mods go, yo thats great you got a tad bit more top speed,etc vs us stockers. IMO other then cosmo mods on my bike, im staying stock for engine and such. If i want a fast bike and wider tires (150s arent as wide and cool looking like 180-190s) ill get a ZX6R or ZX10R for my next bike, and the money ill have saved from wasting on Nate, will make a nice lil down payment on my next bigger Ninja!
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2009, 03:26 PM   #10
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Interesting. I get 45-52mpg on the highways with mods (area P, dyno 100, can't remember where the needles are) but I tend to go a 'little' faster than necessary (ask Noche). Riding somewhat conservatively in town and backroads, I average 54~60mpg.
Being 5'9" and 140lbs I 'd thought this was hella better than my cage, but after seeing numbers, I'm starting to wonder if my carbs are a tidbit gummed.

Going in for my 7500mi maint next week (a little late @ 7810, but wasn't expecting a big ride yesterday) so will have valves, etc checked too. Also gonna try some Seafoam in the next tank.

Old August 2nd, 2009, 03:30 PM   #11
kkim

this is poll of what others have been getting...
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13536
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2009, 04:03 PM   #12
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Too bad the poll doesn't distinguish between mod/no mod and driving habits. It would be interesting to see what combinations would yield the best mpg.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2009, 09:46 PM   #13
CANTFUNCTION
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250(red)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedilla View Post
Im about 5'10 145lbs completely stock bike. The best gas mileage I have come up with is 53mpg, I would expect better from this bike. I probably spend 60 or 70 percent of my time riding at above 70mph, I take off from every stop WFO unless there are cars in front of me, I can see why my mileage is so bad, but there are bikes with much more displacement that can get comparable mileage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob706 View Post
Too bad the poll doesn't distinguish between mod/no mod and driving habits. It would be interesting to see what combinations would yield the best mpg.
Sean
I'm about 5'10 155lbs and I would say my riding habits are similar to Cedilla. I like to keep my rpms up high about 8K to 10K. Mods are AREA P exhaust and has been rejetted with snorkel removed. As for my mileage I'm getting between 57mpg to 59mpg.
CANTFUNCTION is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2009, 10:21 PM   #14
AnarchoMoltov
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Suzuki GSX-R750

I was getting 230 miles and there would still be a gallon +/- still left in the tank.. all I had was an Area P exhaust.....
AnarchoMoltov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2009, 07:49 PM   #15
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momaru View Post
Interesting. I get 45-52mpg on the highways with mods (area P, dyno 100, can't remember where the needles are) but I tend to go a 'little' faster than necessary (ask Noche). Riding somewhat conservatively in town and backroads, I average 54~60mpg.
Being 5'9" and 140lbs I 'd thought this was hella better than my cage, but after seeing numbers, I'm starting to wonder if my carbs are a tidbit gummed.

Going in for my 7500mi maint next week (a little late @ 7810, but wasn't expecting a big ride yesterday) so will have valves, etc checked too. Also gonna try some Seafoam in the next tank.
teee heee - I got 77.3 this weekend!

Old August 3rd, 2009, 08:09 PM   #16
AnarchoMoltov
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Suzuki GSX-R750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momaru View Post

how much does that 7500 mile service run???
AnarchoMoltov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2009, 09:01 PM   #17
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r (Fastest Color)

When I last checked I had 3 washers, full area p, 15T front sprocket, and on full highway miles...cruisin at like 70, I pulled 64 mpg in blistering hot florida summer weather
Posted via Mobile Device
M-Oorb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2009, 07:44 AM   #18
shift_6
ninjette.org member

Name: SHIFT

Motorcycle(s): 08 Candy Plasma Blue

why am i only getting 45-55mpg on every tank?! =[
5'8"
180lbs
shift_6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2009, 11:57 AM   #19
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

all depends on your riding. Are you shifting at 11,000 rpm a lot, are you doing all around town riding? Are you calculating your mpg correctly haha

Old August 4th, 2009, 12:09 PM   #20
shift_6
ninjette.org member

Name: SHIFT

Motorcycle(s): 08 Candy Plasma Blue

my "cruising" speeds are 75-85, gotta love NYC drivers on the highway

i guess considering i do wring out the bike often, i really shouldn't complain about 45-55mpg
shift_6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2009, 02:37 PM   #21
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

NYC drivers on the highway make me

NJ drivers in the city make me

Florida drivers just suck at everything

Old August 5th, 2009, 12:07 PM   #22
cifex
ninjette.org guru

Name: Z

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (sold)

Having been riding the bike for a while, you probably fill your tank all the way until a little spills over into the splash guard to be consistent. Your friend probably just jabbed the nozzle in there like a cheap date until his auto shutoff prematurely ruined the fun. I bet he put in about a gallon or more less than you.
cifex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2009, 05:59 PM   #23
ScorpionNinja

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cifex View Post
Having been riding the bike for a while, you probably fill your tank all the way until a little spills over into the splash guard to be consistent. Your friend probably just jabbed the nozzle in there like a cheap date until his auto shutoff prematurely ruined the fun. I bet he put in about a gallon or more less than you.
yea ive overfilled mine up b4! (due to looking at the Pumps numbers trying to squeeze in that last 35 cents i pre-paid for!!!

that extra gas that makes it over the splash guard... will peel away that Clearcoat, the next morning you look! (for the gas-tank's sake) i opened the cap, covered the hole with a precut peice of cardboard, then carefully peeled away the flaking clear coat in the splash guard) Did this in case during a futrue fill up, a GUST of WIND blows the flaky clear coat into the TANK!
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2009, 09:16 AM   #24
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by cifex View Post
Your friend probably just jabbed the nozzle in there like a cheap date until his auto shutoff prematurely ruined the fun.