ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old January 26th, 2012, 07:51 PM   #1
RedOctober
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrei

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2008 Daytona 675

Couple of questions after reinstalling wheels.

I've replaced stock tires today, and after installing the wheels I have a couple of questions...maybe someone can help me out.

1. Front wheel seems a bit tighter now. With front up how much should it rotate before being stopped by the brakes on its own?

2. On the test ride I get up to about 40mph, pull in the clutch and shift to neutral. Good news: the noise from the frontend is gone. However...if I then apply front brakes, slow down a little and then let go, I feel a slight "grinding" in the front. If I speed up it goes away until the next braking.

3. I did not look at this before, but the chain seems to be almost touching the swingarm near the transmission. And I think I even see a "ridge" on a swingarm that looks like it was designed just for that...is that normal?

4. The chain seems to be straight when I look from behind, I counted the threads to align, and everything seems OK. If I didn't get the rear alignment right...what should I expect from the bike?

5. I have not done the "string" method for checking the front/rear alignment yet. If it's off, what should I expect to feel?

Thanks
RedOctober is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2012, 08:28 PM   #2
eddiekay
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

I'm the least of the mechanics on this board but my friend replaced my tires and I replaced the wheels so...

Front wheel will spin as far as you spin it....when it stops it will be gradual and not sudden. If sudden...your brake is dragging, torque to 65lb.
I dont know the next 2 answers.
As to 4 and 5....I know the racers can feel the difference but for 40+ years till I reached this board I used the notches on the swingarm to pull the chain and never felt anything weird in handling. Since then...I built a do-hickey to check the axle-swingarm bolt distances and yeah...the notches are off but for street and some twisties...I cant say I felt any diff.
I have an '08 FSM in PDF. PM me if you want a copy.
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2012, 09:10 PM   #3
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

I feel that the issue with our bikes is that the gauges are terribly inaccurate. They tend to slide more to one side than the other and then change their location when the axle nut is tightened. None the less, I still feel they can provide a good idea. I personally go by them, but I also try to make sure they are both fully forward/fully backwards and then double 'check' by eye (not accurate..). I haven't had any issues, really. As for the rear alignment issue -- One thing I've always been told is you can get some wacky head (front end) shake with your hands off the bars. I'm not sure what other issues you can feel, though. You may be to hear some chain issues (too loud, or something of the like).

For 2.. Is it a grinding or a sliding of metal on metal? If it's a grinding.. I have no idea what that would be. If it's a sliding, it's your brake pads, which is normal.

For 3.. That sounds close to normal. I would check your chain slack if you're really worried about it. As for the ridge, that is supposed to be there. There is a plastic runner there to protect that area of the swingarm during deceleration when the tension is on the bottom of the chain instead of the top.
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2012, 09:53 PM   #4
RedOctober
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leed View Post
I feel that the issue with our bikes is that the gauges are terribly inaccurate. They tend to slide more to one side than the other and then change their location when the axle nut is tightened. None the less, I still feel they can provide a good idea. I personally go by them, but I also try to make sure they are both fully forward/fully backwards and then double 'check' by eye (not accurate..). I haven't had any issues, really. As for the rear alignment issue -- One thing I've always been told is you can get some wacky head (front end) shake with your hands off the bars. I'm not sure what other issues you can feel, though. You may be to hear some chain issues (too loud, or something of the like).
I tried to listen for any noise but couldn't hear anything unusual over the sound of the engine.
Definitely didn't feel any frontend shake, I ride with hands light on the bars.

Quote:
For 2.. Is it a grinding or a sliding of metal on metal? If it's a grinding.. I have no idea what that would be. If it's a sliding, it's your brake pads, which is normal.
It's more like sliding and I don't actually hear it, I feel it in the handlebars.

Quote:
For 3.. That sounds close to normal. I would check your chain slack if you're really worried about it. As for the ridge, that is supposed to be there. There is a plastic runner there to protect that area of the swingarm during deceleration when the tension is on the bottom of the chain instead of the top.
I've adjusted the tension, I may even have it slightly too tight (need to get a decent metric ruler or build the straw tool).

I think I'm going to drop by my local moto mechanic here, that swapped the rubber, and pay him to look over things and let me watch.

Old February 22nd, 2012, 06:09 PM   #5
shiftyninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 09' EX250J, 01' EX250R

With the rear wheel misaligned, you will get this sort of slight lean depending on which way your tires' adjusted out at. My rear is ever so slightly pointed to the right so while riding it strains my left as I'm leaning slightly left and trying to compensate for it. It's a bitch in the wind and hard riding.

EDIT- As for the front brake noise, the slight sliding sound, is completely normal. I worried a bit too when I rode her from the dealership, but after 4 months it continues. I baby my baby so it's not a mechanical defect.
shiftyninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2012, 05:58 AM   #6
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctober View Post
2. On the test ride I get up to about 40mph, pull in the clutch and shift to neutral.
Going to neutral isnt really a wise idea for your trans..
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2012, 08:34 AM   #7
shiftyninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 09' EX250J, 01' EX250R

Why would going into neutral not be wise??
Posted via Mobile Device
shiftyninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2012, 03:44 PM   #8
RedOctober
ninjette.org member

Another club member took a look...turns out I installed the front wheel wrong. The speedo hub wasn't aligned with the groove on the fork tube.