ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 27th, 2012, 01:43 PM   #321
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by FvnnyL3tt3r1ng View Post
Ok so I was driving along to work and went WOT and all of a sudden my ninja decides to revert to the original problem. It is a little tougher now I can get it up to speed if I rev it for a lonnnnggg time but it is lacking fuel it seems. I remember when cleaning the carbs I couldn't get those jets that are down the tunnel out that use a flathead screwdriver. Those are the pilot jets correct so it should be an issue with them right? I know I need to pull the carbs and reclean I might get to work on it as early as today....
Pilot jets actually handle the low end RPM stuff like idling and low speed stuff. If its the jets, its the bigger one. You should also look at the diaphragms to make sure they are OK. Today's problem could be some of that RTV that finally broke off and clogged up the works.

Old November 27th, 2012, 02:46 PM   #322
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 2001

Found a little of my wonderful gasket maker in the main jet, just a crumb. Blew it out, reassembled, and viola. Back to running.

Question now, I have a little bit of a rough idle and it seems to hang on the low end a tad. I put about 5 oz of seafoam into my 1/2 full tank is this normal?
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2012, 02:48 PM   #323
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
Pilot jets actually handle the low end RPM stuff like idling and low speed stuff. If its the jets, its the bigger one. You should also look at the diaphragms to make sure they are OK. Today's problem could be some of that RTV that finally broke off and clogged up the works.
Meant to say shouldn't* be an issue with them, right? I did clean the main jets when I cleaned the carbs so the gasket maker makes sense! finally a quick fix...

Old November 27th, 2012, 06:27 PM   #324
n4mwd

Quote:
Meant to say shouldn't* be an issue with them, right? I did clean the main jets when I cleaned the carbs so the gasket maker makes sense! finally a quick fix...
Sounds like the pilots need cleaning too. You can get a regular flat head screwdriver and grind the sides flat so that it fits in there good.

Old December 8th, 2012, 04:19 PM   #325
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng

Bike has been running pretty well until recently I've got a rough idle and when I first startup with full choke I only get 3k revs where I used to get 5 or 6. While driving when I come to a stop sometimes it will die at stop lights if I dont give it a little extra throttle to keep the revs up. After the bike warms up everything seems to be working ok but I have my idle set at about 2k rpms because anything less than that runs the risk of the bike dieing while at a stop light. Any suggestions? I understand the pilot jets needing a clean but why does the choke now only give me 3k rpms???

Old December 8th, 2012, 04:47 PM   #326
n4mwd

A vacuum leak can also do that. Check for any hoses that might have popped off or cracked. Other than that, it could be the pilots.

But when you get it fixed, you shouldn't let it race at 5-6K rpm with the choke on. Adjust it to 3K RPM and then turn it off after you ride off.

Old December 8th, 2012, 05:06 PM   #327
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
As always, if you're going to clean the pilot jets, clean all the passageways and everything while you're in there. aka, do it all.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2012, 05:27 PM   #328
n4mwd

BTW, did you ever clean it and remove all the RTV?

Old December 9th, 2012, 04:48 AM   #329
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
As always, if you're going to clean the pilot jets, clean all the passageways and everything while you're in there. aka, do it all.
Yeah that was my intention but I couldn't turn the jets out for the life of me. Maybe some wd40 next time will help.

n4mwd- I did manage to get all the rtv out of there, or so I think. I don't let it race to 6k anymore like I did when i first got the bike.

Old December 22nd, 2012, 08:11 PM   #330
AlfredoGonzalez
Freyho

Name: Alfredo

Motorcycle(s): CBR600 f4i, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (sold)

I actually just had this problem with my bike. It was working fine one day, and then all of a sudden it started dying when it would get to 5k rpm.

Same issue, Idle was fine. I could get it up to about 8k - 9k with the choke fully pulled. Trying to accelerate in any gear, even in neutral would cause the bike to bog down and die as soon as it hit 5k rpm.

I ended up having to ride it using only the choke to keep the bike alive. Was really annoying trying to keep it between 3k and 6k.

Anywho, what I ended up doing was planning to do carb clean/rebuild. Later on I got lazy and decided to just try to run some seafoam through it and that cleared the issue up. On my next routine service (valve adjust, air filter clean, oil change) I'll probably take it off and clean it.

My throttle cables are also rather loose, I'll need to adjust them too.
AlfredoGonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 23rd, 2012, 10:34 AM   #331
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredoGonzalez View Post
I actually just had this problem with my bike. It was working fine one day, and then all of a sudden it started dying when it would get to 5k rpm.

Same issue, Idle was fine. I could get it up to about 8k - 9k with the choke fully pulled. Trying to accelerate in any gear, even in neutral would cause the bike to bog down and die as soon as it hit 5k rpm.

I ended up having to ride it using only the choke to keep the bike alive. Was really annoying trying to keep it between 3k and 6k.

Anywho, what I ended up doing was planning to do carb clean/rebuild. Later on I got lazy and decided to just try to run some seafoam through it and that cleared the issue up. On my next routine service (valve adjust, air filter clean, oil change) I'll probably take it off and clean it.

My throttle cables are also rather loose, I'll need to adjust them too.
Be real careful driving that thing if there is something floating around in your carb's bowl(s) the issue might come back. You don't want that happening while you are on the freeway with cars behind you at 65+ mph!

Using the choke to drive is a huge drain on your wallet because your gas mileage gets cut down very significantly. I hope you have a relatively new fuel filter on if not buy one asap theyre literally $2. Other than that I would run seafoam through it again if you don't have the time/resources to take those main jets out and clean them very thoroughly for safety reasons. Just imagine what could happen.

Old December 24th, 2012, 09:04 PM   #332
AlfredoGonzalez
Freyho

my bike did something similar. Wouldn't go passed 5k.

I ran seafoam through it and that seemed to clear the issue, but it keeps coming back ONLY when I switch my petcock to reserve. I'm thinking it's a petcock issue on my bike.

Old December 24th, 2012, 09:09 PM   #333
AlfredoGonzalez
Freyho

Quote:
Be real careful driving that thing if there is something floating around in your carb's bowl(s) the issue might come back. You don't want that happening while you are on the freeway with cars behind you at 65+ mph!

Using the choke to drive is a huge drain on your wallet because your gas mileage gets cut down very significantly. I hope you have a relatively new fuel filter on if not buy one asap theyre literally $2. Other than that I would run seafoam through it again if you don't have the time/resources to take those main jets out and clean them very thoroughly for safety reasons. Just imagine what could happen.
I used the choke just to putter my way back home. No intention of using it as a primary means of making the bike run. lol.

The fuel filter I'm sure isn't too new, it's on my replace list. I actually just very recently discovered that the problem does come back occasionally, but ONLY when I switch the petcock to reserve.

I decided to experiment with it a bit and ran the bike on main for a while. Ran just fine, but about 4 seconds after switching it to reserve, it started bogging down and dying like before. After switching it back, it returned to normal after a few seconds.

Pretty sure it's a petcock issue on my bike now.

The list of things now is to take apart / rebuild the petcock, and clean out the gas tank to get any particles of crap that may be floating around the bottom.

Old December 25th, 2012, 07:12 AM   #334
n4mwd

Quote:
I used the choke just to putter my way back home. No intention of using it as a primary means of making the bike run. lol.

The fuel filter I'm sure isn't too new, it's on my replace list. I actually just very recently discovered that the problem does come back occasionally, but ONLY when I switch the petcock to reserve.

I decided to experiment with it a bit and ran the bike on main for a while. Ran just fine, but about 4 seconds after switching it to reserve, it started bogging down and dying like before. After switching it back, it returned to normal after a few seconds.

Pretty sure it's a petcock issue on my bike now.

The list of things now is to take apart / rebuild the petcock, and clean out the gas tank to get any particles of crap that may be floating around the bottom.

There is probably nothing wrong with the petcock. But it does sound like its clogged up. Possibly with debris or rust. Just remove it, clean it and put it back. You shouldn't need any parts.

Old December 25th, 2012, 08:55 PM   #335
AlfredoGonzalez
Freyho

Quote:
There is probably nothing wrong with the petcock. But it does sound like its clogged up. Possibly with debris or rust. Just remove it, clean it and put it back. You shouldn't need any parts.
I hope it doesn't. Shouldn't make too much of a difference, the rebuild kit is only like $10. I halfway just want to rebuild it just for the fun of it.

Lately the greatest joy I feel is when taking apart an putting back together my baby.

Old December 26th, 2012, 05:01 AM   #336
n4mwd

Quote:
I hope it doesn't. Shouldn't make too much of a difference, the rebuild kit is only like $10. I halfway just want to rebuild it just for the fun of it.

Lately the greatest joy I feel is when taking apart an putting back together my baby.
Where can you find one for $10? Seems like everyone is selling them for newgens, old pregens but not for new pregens.

Old December 26th, 2012, 06:51 PM   #337
AlfredoGonzalez
Freyho

Quote:
Where can you find one for $10? Seems like everyone is selling them for newgens, old pregens but not for new pregens.
I have a friend who used to have a 250 and has the kit. He said he'd give it to me for $10, so I lucked out a bit.