ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Farkles

Notices

Old February 28th, 2015, 09:52 PM   #81
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
teaser pics of some work I got done on this today.

choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old February 28th, 2015, 09:56 PM   #82
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
@choneofakind

You better do one hellva write-up when this is all done, because I'm so gonna rip you off, and do the same, or just have you make one for me.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2015, 10:02 PM   #83
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Lol, I'm basically following the steps that a few members have done for the newgens.

1) make mounting plate out of thick ABS plastic to mount projector and aiming hardware
2) make pretty plate that covers the ugliness of the mounting plate. Paint/polish to taste
3) sand the shroud so that you can clip it to the projector like normal and sandwhich the pretty plate in there securely. Paint/polish to taste.

Only difference is unlike the newgen, I have to make my own lens too. I'll go through some basic instructions for it. haha.

Old February 28th, 2015, 10:04 PM   #84
Ghostt
in your machine

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Lol, I'm basically following the steps that a few members have done for the newgens.

1) make mounting plate out of thick ABS plastic to mount projector and aiming hardware
2) make pretty plate that covers the ugliness of the mounting plate. Paint/polish to taste
3) sand the shroud so that you can clip it to the projector like normal and sandwhich the pretty plate in there securely. Paint/polish to taste.

Only difference is unlike the newgen, I have to make my own lens too. I'll go through some basic instructions for it. haha.
So with that said, you are so making me one. Thxs Brah

You not far enough away, I see a road trip in my future

ZX-2R BLOG

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 28th, 2015, 10:12 PM   #85
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
lol, I don't think my time is worth what I'd ask to do this for other people. It's not that the total cost is that high, it's just a giant pain in the butt. My mounting plate is ugly as hell, and no matter how accurate and careful you are with the laser cutter and drilling holes, unless your aiming hardware is PERFECTLY in the right spots, you end up having to enlarge the projector mounting holes so you can correct any rotation that your error added. So every headlight I did wouldn't be as simple as just making duplicates and piecing headlights together for sale; every single one would be special and would take time...

I'm not saying no, but I just don't want this to be a job. It's fun when it's a hobby for your own bike, it seems like it would be tedious and time consuming if it were for pay. Not to mention, customers can be very particular about what they get so if it's not perfect, it's a rework. And there's always the potential for moisture issues down the road, etc etc

Old February 28th, 2015, 10:33 PM   #86
Ghostt
in your machine

I perfectly understand, been there, done that, smoked that.

I guess I'll have to settle for you final EXTREMELY DETAILED write up

I'll just make myself a drink and wait.....

ZX-2R BLOG

Old December 23rd, 2015, 10:19 AM   #87
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Well.. not a lot of progress on this project. And by that, I mean none

But I did my car. It's not bad at all, except I don't have forward facing corner marker lights and technically my low beams are pointed a hair to the left. But it's given me the confidence and the interest in the motorcycle project again!

I think I'm going to attack this in a different direction. Instead of using my own mounting plate, I think I'll just epoxy the projector into an older hacked up reflector bowl that I have. This is common with retrofits over on HIDPlanet, so I'll give it a go. This should get my projector back far enough to clear the lens completely. and I can free ball it on the aim, because unlike my car, the pregen has up/down AND right/left adjustment screws. So i can set it nominally normal to the halogen projector and adjust as needed, assuming it's properly rotated. I just want to get it mounted so it's usable, the fluted lens is manageable even though it's not ideal. meh.

I'm also going to give it a go with the lens again. Going to try heat forming and doing it really crude, not going to bother with the vacuum method for now. Won't be as perfect, but there's enough extra height on my male mold that I'll probably be okay with some careful heat forming and hacking off excess... My materials are on campus in NW Ohio, I'm in NE Ohio again, so stay tuned towards the beginning of the year, yo.

Old December 23rd, 2015, 10:26 AM   #88
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Just because I want to show off my car, here it is. I'm glad I was able to keep it so OE in appearance and subtle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (72.4 KB, 8 views)

Old December 23rd, 2015, 10:54 AM   #89
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
My winter project is to RAM mount a Phalanx CIWS Gatling gun on my road rides and neutralize the ghetto HID installations! Few things are as dangerous while driving or riding as having your retinas disabled for many long seconds because of an incorrectly installed and/or poorly aimed HID system, many with illegal intensity bulbs!

Humbug I say!!!
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 23rd, 2015, 01:33 PM   #90
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Lol. Projectors do it right. That's he point.

Old January 4th, 2016, 11:40 PM   #91
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
well...

I have no skill in the lens forming department. But I found that my generic D2S projector is threaded properly for the locking nut and bulb retainer collar from my (much larger ) morimoto D2S 3.0 projector. I may be giving up on this one and sticking with the generic projector, using the morimoto hardware to pull it as far back as possible, using the morimoto wiring hardness, and calling it a day. Not worth tons of effort at this point. I'll look a little further into the vacuum table thing, but I think it might just not be worth it...

Old January 4th, 2016, 11:42 PM   #92
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Unless anyone has brilliant ideas on how to pivot/thread the mounting place in a simpler fashion. I'm not thrilled with the hardware contraption that I had on there earlier. Maybe if I take more time and do it more carefully again, it will work, but even then, I'm not sure if that puts the Mini D2S 3.0 projector back far enough to even clear the stock lens.

There's just not a lot of space inside this headlight. My car has tons of space in comparison.

Old January 6th, 2016, 09:00 PM   #93
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Looked at the epoxy and reflector method; not enough space for the D2S 3.0 projector and I have no interest in going back to the generic projector.

So here's mounting plate 2.0 so far. I should be able to mill most of this and touch up with the dremel. Or just dremel the whole thing with a paper overlay traced on it. I have measurements this time instead of just winging it. Going to use 3/16" ABS sheet instead of 1/4". Also going to get some stock chromoly or stainless or something off McMaster and make my own mounting brackets for the threaded pivoting aiming nut things. No more of this ghetto-brackets-stolen-from-the-newgen-stuff.

I also looked more into the vacuum forming method. Up till now, I've been banking on 1/8" Lexan. After some science, it's not right. I'm going to look into thinner polycarbonate (maybe 3/32" or 1/16"?) and buy a 12x18 vacuum table instead of getting a short throw shifter for my car. Priorities.

Old January 6th, 2016, 09:26 PM   #94
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Google "DIY Vacuum Table". Lots of cheap & effective solutions. I've built a couple.

Curious because I know nothing about the bulbs ( other than my previous comments ) is there not a lot of heat generated? Will ABS, Lexan or any other plastic not melt?
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over

Old January 6th, 2016, 09:41 PM   #95
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Yeah, googled plenty. I know how they work, I know the basics of making one. But really not much of a wood worker and have very little interest in building a simple one for now. If I'm going to build one later on in life, I'll make a professional one with a proper vacuum pump and tank, not a hobby on that runs on a shop vac. For now, I'll overpay for one that runs on a vacuum cleaner and is only good for hobby work but saves me time and effort. It's funny how that works with people. We either have skill and time but no money, or clueless and money. Oh well.

No hotter than a halogen. Remember its only dissipating 35W vs 55 from a halogen.

Plenty of users have made mounting plates out of ABS for their newgen retrofits, no concerns. Forceofwill is one user on here who's done so. No worries about melting lexan or polycarb, those are both used by retrofitters on hidplanet.com, there's all kinds of temp info and material properties on the product listings on usplastic.com. They're a great source for all things plastic/rubbery that you may need as a hobby-ist/motorcyclist. Tubing, plastic, etc.

Old January 6th, 2016, 10:04 PM   #96
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

MOTM - Nov '15

Seemed a contradiction that you can vacuum form the material (needs heat) but has a high temperature melt point.

Similar to the age/wisdom ratio, too!

Old January 6th, 2016, 10:20 PM   #97
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWn60 View Post
Seemed a contradiction that you can vacuum form the material (needs heat) but has a high temperature melt point.
Lol, that just means you have to get it to the perfect temperature in the oven, but you then have about 6 seconds to form it after taking it out of the oven before it's too cold and hard to pull. I've been sciencing with this. It's an annoying process.

Old January 11th, 2016, 07:59 PM   #98
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
More progress today on the right way.

Got the ball joint hole and the left/right adjusting hole aligned, the up/down hole needs dropped another couple mm for it to be perfect.

Please note, I'm NOT crazy. The mounting/adjusting holes are NOT centered with the projector mounts... I've been trying to wrap my head around this and measure for a while now and I've come to the conclusion that it's not centered. Should be simple, but the stock reflector and housing are surprisingly hard to accurately get a pair of calipers into...

The 3D printers at school have been awesome for prototyping this badboy so I only have to make it for real once. Heck, I probably could even ask a favor of a local company and have it printed on a professional setup out of ABS plastic once I'm all set on a design... That would be pretty tight!

Also, just because I feel like I need to convince y'all why I've been stuck on various stages of this headlight thing now on and off for 3 years... here's my car's bixenon setup. The parking lot is slightly sloped up, so that cutoff looks flat and parallel with the building skirt, but it's actually sloping down slightly relative to the car.