ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old December 3rd, 2015, 05:44 PM   #1
James55
ninjette.org newbie

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

2007 Ninja 250 streetfighter conversion

I bought a 2007 Ninja 250 with 14k miles on it about 2 months ago for $900 and knew exactly what I wanted to do with it, which was turn it into something similar if not identical to that famous yellow Ninja that Chicago Bob created

Attachment 38963
Attachment 38964

These are the most before picture I have, I guess I just couldn't wait to get the fairings off. The bike was completely stock and it runs! I immediately did an oil change and had some issues with the idle but I think I have it under control now

Attachment 38965

I trimmed the side fairings using a dremel, pretty straightforward. If I were to do it again, I would have changed the angles to protect the fuse box better.

Attachment 38966

I got a 7in round headlight from speedmotoco and all in all I'm happy with it. The headlight turn signal bracket kit was $100 and the quality is good. If I were to do it again, I would have gotten everything from Ebay, it's all the same stuff and it would have cost me $50 for everything. In fact, the rear turn signals are from Ebay and they were identical to the ones that came with the kit. Much cheaper. Also, I was not happy that the low beam bulb blew out within 7 days off use.

Attachment 38967

I really tried to save the stock gauge cluster and reuse what I could. I even got the tach and speedo out of the plastic and mounted them in these camping mugs. In the process of drilling out the holes in the mugs, I destroyed the microchip in the tach so that sucked. In the end, got a trail tech but still need to install it. I hope it is not too painful. I think it's for the best, the low profile look will be nice. I did manage to save the idiot lights which is nice.

Attachment 38968

I trimmed the front fender and painted it black, along with the side fairings. I found some black spray paint laying around but it was charcoal black, I would have preferred black black but I'm not worried about it.

Attachment 38969

I got the same taillight Bob got from Amazon and mounted the rear turn signals today. Big improvement from the ugly stock taillight.

Attachment 38970

I used a bicycle rear rack mount and cut it up to fabricate something to mount everything. Lucky to have that laying around

Attachment 38971

You can see here the idiot lights and the lack of anything else. Need to get the trail tech mounted next.

Well there you have it! Big thanks to Chicago Bob for the inspiration. Took a ton of weight off and I much prefer this look. Let me know if you are in the process of doing this or thinking about it, I can maybe answer your questions.

If you have any suggestions I would be happy to hear them!
James55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2015, 05:41 AM   #2
Yamahawk
Chaplain

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 75 RD350 race bike, 82 XZ550RJ Vision, 81 XV920RH, 89 VTR250 Interceptor race bike, 06 Concours, 86 EX250E1

Well, once you have the gauge cluster and lights figured out, it will be functional! Looks good, I have a Trail Tech Vapor that I used on my 75 RD350 race bike, and it worked well until vibration from the 2 stroke took its toll lol... But, they make an affordable good looking unit, and they sell a housing with all the idiot lights and indicators in it, turn signals, high beam, neutral, etc. I would look into getting that to streamline the idiot light placement. That would tidy things up in your triple tree area!