ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old June 1st, 2010, 03:36 PM   #1
davelhunter

Anyone installed a remote start on the 250r?

I just finished installing an alarm on my bike this weekend. My first alarm install (took me about 8 hours!) I am now going to attempt to install the add on remote engine start module, but I can't seem to figure it out. Anyone here installed a remote start to their 250r? If so please advise.

Old June 2nd, 2010, 06:43 AM   #2
dubojr1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Hmmm... Not sure how well this would work for carbs. The remote start system can't pull and control the choke for you. Is it really worth the risks that come with it though.

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2010, 08:36 AM   #3
davelhunter

Carbs are no problem with remote start. I've had remot starts installed on almost all my toys and never had a problem, just never did the install myself. Here in socal I don't even need to use the choke! Not really a risk.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old June 2nd, 2010, 10:05 AM   #4
dubojr1

Ther's always a risk with any vehicle without an automatic transmission and even some that do have auto (see below). Before you go looking for the "reply" button, let me explain.

I'm sure your using some sort neutral safety but all switches can fail or the controller could have clitch. Happens all the time. I had a mint 98 Mustang GT automatic transmission with all the bells and wistles including a viper alarm with prox sensor, remote start, window control modules, etc... Hit the remote start one morning and got up to get dressed for work while the car was warming. Needless to say I came out to leave and smoke was pouring out from the interior. Long story short...the remote start control module was melting away and nearly ready to catch fire.

All I'm saying is it worth the risk? I could see a bike trying to start while parked in a garage and was accidentally left in gear.

Just my

Old June 2nd, 2010, 06:05 PM   #5
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): magHitVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelhunter View Post
I just finished installing an alarm on my bike this weekend. My first alarm install (took me about 8 hours!) I am now going to attempt to install the add on remote engine start module, but I can't seem to figure it out. Anyone here installed a remote start to their 250r? If so please advise.
What system did you install?

You can use my diagrams if it helps you set it up, and for the chock, maybe leaving it 1/2 way on at night can solve the problem?

2008+ Ninja 250r FULL Wiring Diagram here!
jonthechron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2010, 06:13 PM   #6
kkim

Quote:
Here in socal I don't even need to use the choke!
so if you don't need to use the choke to start/warm up the bike, why is it that you need a remote start? Seems to me, you can just start the bike when you're ready to ride and ride off w/o having to remote start it.

I don't get it.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2010, 06:49 PM   #7
Guinss
ninjette.org guru

Name: Simen

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R (Black)

The remote start needs to be hooked up at 2 points, to the ignition and the start relay. So, when you hit the start button, electricity goes through the ignition as if the key was being turned over. And electricity needs to be sent to the starter-relay to turn the motor over, which it does for a preprogrammed amount of time/seconds.
Get hold of the wire that sends 12V out of the ignition when the key is turned to "ON". Thats where you hook up the 12V from the remote switch. Same goes for the wire from the starter switch on your handlebar. You hook up the remote power to the wire that goes "out" from the real starter switch. Best is to get a hold of a wire diagram for the 250R, makes it easier to find the right wires without testing manually with voltmeter. Should also be explained better in the paper that you get with the alarm-kit, but feel free to ask if you wonder about anything!

I installed an alarm with remote start/ignition switch once, not on the 250 tho. The thing i used most was the "ignition off" feature, which is pretty easy to fix, its just a grounded wire.
Remote start, i never used so i disabled it, leaving it to only turn on the ignition. What if, someone accidently put your bike in gear while u were away(?), you always gotta check before, and then there is no points of having a remote start in my case. It ended up being more of a showoff gadget for friends, than actually useful to anything.

I usually turned ignition on with the remote when i left from home, then when i parked somewhere i could lock the bike up, take all keys away and walk into for example a shop and turn of the bike/engine as i walked away from the bike. People will look a bit confused around them.
Guinss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2010, 09:16 PM   #8
davelhunter

Smile

Guinss & John, thanks for your help. I am going to try to get this done over the weekend. Will post my results.
Dubojr, I understand your concern. I hope you didn't think I was trying to be rude with my reply. That was not my intention. I can see where you are coming from with the risk. I do understand the possibilities of what can happen. I just simply decided that for me it is a risk I am willing to take. I am not saying that I recommend everyone else to put a remote start on their 250. To each his own I guess.
Kkim, Since the weather is mild here year round, I never really need to use the choke. Even though I don't usually use the choke I still like to start the bike and let is run for a few minutes to warm up. I guess I really don't "need" it just like most of the other farkles I added to the bike. I just like gadgets and I like tinkering with things. Just for fun I guess.

Old June 2nd, 2010, 09:22 PM   #9
kkim

cool, Dave... just couldn't understand it from a warmup stand point.

I fully understand toys. have fun.

Old June 2nd, 2010, 09:38 PM   #10
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Carbs are no problem with remote start. I've had remot starts installed on almost all my toys and never had a problem, just never did the install myself. Here in socal I don't even need to use the choke! Not really a risk.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mine got progressively worse. I absolutely need to use my choke now, though I can turn it down almost instantly.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2010, 06:10 AM   #11
dubojr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
so if you don't need to use the choke to start/warm up the bike, why is it that you need a remote start? Seems to me, you can just start the bike when you're ready to ride and ride off w/o having to remote start it.

I don't get it.

Old June 3rd, 2010, 06:14 AM   #12
dubojr1

Quote:
Dubojr, I understand your concern. I hope you didn't think I was trying to be rude with my reply. That was not my intention. I can see where you are coming from with the risk. I do understand the possibilities of what can happen. I just simply decided that for me it is a risk I am willing to take. I am not saying that I recommend everyone else to put a remote start on their 250. To each his own I guess.
No problem. Never thought that anyway. Have fun with it!

Old June 3rd, 2010, 06:38 AM   #13
Guinss
ninjette.org guru

This thread makes me want to install alarm and remote control myself!
*goes searching for it on internetshops*

Old June 3rd, 2010, 07:10 AM   #14
kevlar250
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): '94 Vulcan 1500, '06 Katana 600, '08 FZ1

What remote start brand are you thinking about? I've installed many in cars and might have some insight. My friend has a factory remote start on a 80cc scooter, seems strange but whatever floats your boat!
kevlar250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2010, 10:22 AM   #15
davelhunter

It is a Spy 5000m. Here is the manufacturer web site: http://www.zmc.com.sg/product.php?ca...20Bike%20Alarm

It is a really nice system. It is a 2 way pager system with a 5,000 meter range. You can set the fob on voice alert or vibrate, and it has a multi color lcd screen with clock, etc. Seemed like a lot of features for the price and of course the remote engine start.

Old June 3rd, 2010, 10:31 AM   #16
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

ah ok, spy 5000m, I was thinking of installing this alarm, but I am really concerned about the quality of this thing, I saw these going for 70$ shipped last month.

Spy 5000m, Beret 5000m, Voyager 5000m, why so many brand names for the same product? hummm ?

MA004S.jpg

Last futzed with by Alex; June 3rd, 2010 at 05:40 PM. Reason: fixed mongo pic

Old June 3rd, 2010, 12:03 PM   #17
davelhunter

Yes that is the one. I also was wandering about the quality, however I read a few reviews on the other forums and also spoke to an alarm shop in Florida. This is the exclusive alarm that he installs on all motorcycles. He had nothing but good things to say about the alarm so I felt pretty comfortable. With anything out of China there are usually 1 factory who manufactures the same product for different companies and just puts a different name on it. With many of the expensive alarms from the big names you are just paying for their advertising. These $300.00 alarms probably cost .50 to make.

Old June 9th, 2010, 07:11 AM   #18
Guinss
ninjette.org guru

Actually, when i came to think about it, the 250R got the "must be in neutral to start"-feature. So, i take back my meaning about remote start not being safe. Im so close to ordering one myself.

Dave, did you get it installed yet? Was wondering about the difficulty on getting everything installed on the 250R, i have only installed it on a simple 50 cc myself.

Old June 9th, 2010, 09:14 AM   #19
davelhunter

I was just thinking that same thing yesterday! The bike won't start if it is not in neutral so no worries about starting in gear. I should be finished tonight. I will post the finished product tomorrow most likely.

Old June 9th, 2010, 10:07 AM   #20
dubojr1

Yep, guess that is different than a cage application. Must have a clutch switch bypass for cages. That's what makes it a little unsafe.

I just start mine and by the time I have my gear and packs ready to go...the bike is ready to go. Could be intersting for $70 bucks though...!

Old June 11th, 2010, 04:39 PM   #21
davelhunter

Remote Start successfully installed!

The remote start is a success! We finished it yesterday. I will upload pics & more info over the weekend. We ran into a roadblock at first. I did not know that the new 250's had an immobilizer! We took care of that though with something called a 100 ohm resistor (I think that is what it is called) Anyway, it made the remote engine start work perfectly. The 5000m is a great alarm.

Old June 11th, 2010, 04:43 PM   #22
kkim

Quote:
I did not know that the new 250's had an immobilizer!
they don't, as far as I know. what year bike are we talking about?

Old June 11th, 2010, 04:55 PM   #23
davelhunter

I am speaking of my 2008 250r. I confirmed that it does have an ignition immobilizer, unless the guy was wrong. Something about if all of the ignition wires have the same voltage it does not and if one of the wires has a lower voltage it does? When we first installed the remote start, the bike cranked over but would not start. If we put the key in the ignition and did the same thing the bike would start with the remote start. The installer and I called the guy who sells the alarm (who owns a motorcycle alarm shop) and he stated that this means the bike has an immobilizer. My install guy said he knows how to bypass this and then he got it working. I'm not an install guy, so I don't know, just going by what they said.

Old June 11th, 2010, 04:59 PM   #24
kkim

According to this schematic, I don't see an immobilizer.

http://www.mickeywebpages.com/users/...e_Dia_v1.1.gif

Old June 11th, 2010, 09:25 PM   #25
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

Definitely no immobilizer. =/

Old June 12th, 2010, 08:08 AM   #26
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

Basically how the system works is:

When the key is in the "ON" position, 12V is allowed to reach the push-button, in this case, the "Starter Button".

When the "Starter Button" is held, 12V is sent through "Diode B" and then to the coil on the "Starter Circuit Relay" which is in a N.O (Normally Open state). When the coil in the "Starter Circuit Relay" becomes energized, it becomes N.C (normally closed) creating a closed circuit and further allowing the "Starter Relay" coil to be energized, allowing 12V(with a maximum of 30A) to be send from the battery to the starter, and this cranks the engine.

This circuit also send power to the ignition coils.. but I have an appointment at the clinic now.

Old June 22nd, 2010, 10:26 AM   #27
superlife
Ninjette Indian

Name: Ajay

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

Did you manage to install the same? waiting for review from your side
superlife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2010, 02:02 PM   #28
kevlar250
ninjette.org member

Jon, I believe way more than 30A goes to the starter, 100-200 when cold.

Old June 22nd, 2010, 02:06 PM   #29
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlar250 View Post
Jon, I believe way more than 30A goes to the starter, 100-200 when cold.
if the starter draws 100-200 amps, how does it not blow the 30A starter fuse?

Old June 22nd, 2010, 02:22 PM   #30
kevlar250
ninjette.org member

That's the "main fuse" for the entire bike and it supplies the white wire main battery bus and only the white wire, it's really not the "starter fuse" but it is located on the starter solenoid. The starter circuit is not fused. The drawing can be a bit confusing.

Old June 22nd, 2010, 02:27 PM   #31
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
if the starter draws 100-200 amps, how does it not blow the 30A starter fuse?
The juice turning the starter doesn't go through a fuse. The juice running the relays does.

Old June 22nd, 2010, 02:43 PM   #32
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlar250 View Post
That's the "main fuse" for the entire bike and it supplies the white wire main battery bus and only the white wire, it's really not the "starter fuse" but it is located on the starter solenoid. The starter circuit is not fused. The drawing can be a bit confusing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
The juice turning the starter doesn't go through a fuse. The juice running the relays does.
thanks... taking a closer look at the schematics reflects that.

Old June 30th, 2010, 09:38 AM   #33
superlife
Ninjette Indian

Name: Ajay

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

waiting for reviews
superlife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2010, 07:46 PM   #34
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Dave is on Vacation. He won't be back for few weeks.

Old August 28th, 2010, 01:44 AM   #35
Gotroach332
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 250r

Remote start and alarm

Hi I'm new to the forums I'm in the middle of installing a viper 5900 security with remote start and digital tilt sensor. I have everything hooked up but can't seem to find a wire to get my tach signal for the remote start. I previously read someone said there was an immobilizer on these bikes. Any information would be appreciated. Ty.

Josh
Gotroach332 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2010, 06:29 PM   #36
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35886

And nope, no immobilizer on this bike.

Old August 28th, 2010, 10:48 PM   #37
Gotroach332
ninjette.org newbie

Re: help

Let me clarify I'm not looking for a wire for the tach it's self. I'm looking for a wire I can get a signal for the tach to program on the viper 5900. The feature reads the rpms and shuts down if over revving or under revving. On cars u either go to a fuel injector or the coil but no injectors on the bike and the coil wires didn't work. So if anyone knows of a wire on the bike that will work lemme know, ty

Old August 29th, 2010, 11:24 AM   #38
demp
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2015 V-Star 950 Tourer (Deep Blue)

This may be a silly question, but is there not a built in safety switch that turns the bike off when the kickstand is down while the bike is in gear? Does this not come into play when using a remote starter?
demp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2010, 01:27 PM   #39
Gotroach332
ninjette.org newbie

There Is a safety feature where the bike kills if in gear with stand down but if u wire the remote starts neutral safety switch to the neutral light then the remote start won't start unless in neutral and the bike will start with the stand Down in neutral.

Old August 30th, 2010, 12:55 AM   #40
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by demp View Post
This may be a silly question, but is there not a built in safety switch that turns the bike off when the kickstand is down while the bike is in gear? Does this not come into play when using a remote starter?
Why would you start the bike in gear anyway? To use remote start, you'd have to leave it in neutral and the bike will start with the kickstand down as long as it is in neutral.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote