ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 26th, 2011, 10:47 AM   #1
Greatjobdani
ninjette.org member

Name: Dani

Motorcycle(s): 1987 Ninja 250r

Question on single muffler 87ninja250r

Just got my dads 87 Ninja 250r with only 5k on it and runs beautifully. My only problem is that I think it sounds a little soft for me with the dual stock mufflers. I decided to take one of the mufflers off on the left side and it sounds amazing. I know its not street legal to not have that on their, and also I know it makes the engine less efficient. But will it actually permanently damage my motor? I am planning on replacing the mufflers with aftermarket slip ons, but until then I luv the way it sounds and feels. But ill def put it back on if its gonna destroy my motor.
Greatjobdani is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2011, 01:11 PM   #2
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

Eh, it's probably not doing permanent. You might burn an exhaust valve.
It's a pretty obnoixious and stupid thing to do, though (intentionally irritating everyone around you at the expense of engine efficiency.)

Old September 26th, 2011, 01:40 PM   #3
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

So, you left one muffler in place? If so, you're now running your cylinders at different exhaust pressures, which may cause some issues and uneven loading on them. I don't remember if there's a crossover for the pre-gen exhaust headers like there is for the new gen stock, but if there is, you're also likely blowing the majority of exhaust out the un-mufflered side now.

It's all about balance. I'd pull 'em both or leave 'em both.

If you're really in for the single-muffler look/sound, AreaP has a 2-to-1 (full) system for the pre-gens that may work for ya. Their other exhausts are nothing less than excellent and I can't remember hearing anything negative about the model for the older ninjas.