ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old June 19th, 2012, 05:37 PM   #1
Jinx
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Black Ninja 250

Jacket fitment

Hey guys. Seeking a bit of advice on jacket sizing here. The jacket I have now is an XL and it fit quite nicely when I got it a few months ago. The problem is that I have since lost about 35 pounds and now its getting quite loose. Is a jacket supposed to be a bit more snug in order for it to work as intended or is having the jacket loose ok?
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2012, 07:41 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

It should be snug enough that if you were to find yourself on the ground, the pads in the jacket are likely to stay exactly where they should be to protect the most common impact points (elbows, shoulders, etc.). If it's loose enough to move around easily, it's probably a size or two large from optimal. If not, you're probably good.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2012, 01:11 PM   #3
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
+1. Snug is good.

Put the jacket on. Reach around our elbow with your hand (e.g. right elbow, left hand), grab the edge of the elbow pad and yank. Can you pull it around your arm?

Now reach over the opposite shoulder and grab the shoulder pad. Yank. Can you slide the pad so that your shoulder is exposed?

If you can do these things, your jacket is way too loose. That's what'll happen when you hit the ground. Same with any armor pad. If you can move it away from the part of your body you want to protect, then you're not getting the job done.

Two things happen when a rider hits the ground. One is impact. The other is a slide. The slide will grab your jacket and try to rip it off. The tighter and less able to slide around your body it is, the better your armor will protect you.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2012, 04:35 PM   #4
auknight
ninjette.org member

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
+1. Snug is good.

Put the jacket on. Reach around our elbow with your hand (e.g. right elbow, left hand), grab the edge of the elbow pad and yank. Can you pull it around your arm?

Now reach over the opposite shoulder and grab the shoulder pad. Yank. Can you slide the pad so that your shoulder is exposed?

If you can do these things, your jacket is way too loose. That's what'll happen when you hit the ground. Same with any armor pad. If you can move it away from the part of your body you want to protect, then you're not getting the job done.

Two things happen when a rider hits the ground. One is impact. The other is a slide. The slide will grab your jacket and try to rip it off. The tighter and less able to slide around your body it is, the better your armor will protect you.
I thought my Scorpion Hat Trick Jacket was sufficient. It was size small, but still didn't fit my body type properly. I now have a 3 inch wide patch on my abdomen, where it was supposedly covered, to prove why proper fitted jackets are important. It was a 40-50 MPH slide, sideways. Yep, I sure got a great deal buying that jacket at closeout price.
auknight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2012, 05:10 PM   #5
NikRN06
ninjette.org member

Name: Nikole

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 205R, 2009 Yamaha R6

I have a fieldsheer jacket that ended up being to big to get the sleeves long enough to fit me right. I brought the jacket to a local alteration shop and the lady charged me $30 to take in the sleeves (not shorten- just take in almost two inches in some places) and the torso. the jacket fits me great now.

Just thought I would mention an option to buying a new jacket. Congrats on the weight loss!
NikRN06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2012, 10:07 PM   #6
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
I still haven't taken the class but this all sounds right to me, you want it to be just barely bigger than 'uncomfortable' -- do you have a nice upscale shop in your area? I took the first jacket I got from a chain in to a local nicer shop and the owner immediately identified it was the wrong size and got me sorted out.
Yakaru is offline   Reply With Quote