ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 21st, 2011, 11:12 AM   #1
TonyKZ1
ninjette.org member

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 1975 Kawasaki KZ400D (Sold), 1989 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (sold), 1997 Yamaha XJ600s Seca II

Question Drivetrain issues?

Hello all, my '89 Ninja 250 has 70k+ miles on it and 31k+ miles on the current engine. I noticed a vibration and noise on my way into work thursday morning. It wasn't the engine as it only vibrated and made noise when moving. When I got to the parking lot, I could hear the noise and feel the vibration just turning the rear wheel by hand.

I babied it home and started troubleshooting. I had installed new tires (Pirelli Sport Demons) last friday and had checked the bearings and their grease then when I had the rear wheel off. I removed the rear wheel/tire and checked them again anyhow. I put the rear axle bolt back in the wheel and set them on a pair of jack stands and spun the wheel, it spun fine, nor was there any noise or any vibration and the tire is pretty well balanced too. So that knocks out the rear wheel bearings. I had already replaced them anyhow back in Feb 2010, at 50k+ miles.

So then I removed the chain from the front sprocket, turned the sprocket by hand and felt something while turning and the shaft would also move in and out, not much but some. I then started it up, keeping my hand away from the sprocket of course. I could hear the noise and feel vibration again, not very loud though. I then checked my original engine's countershaft, it turned freely without any noise or vibration and didn't move in or out.

Also the last time I did an oil change, about 4k miles ago, I thought I'd check/clean the oil pump screen. It had a lot of metal debris/pieces in it. I cleaned it and re-installed it.

So if you're still with me after this lengthly post, I'm guessing it's my transmission and it's time for engine/transmission #3? Or could it be the clutch assy, yet it still works normal as before.
Thanks for any help or suggestions, Tony

Old October 24th, 2011, 05:38 AM   #2
dubojr1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Maybe @Racer x can help. He seems to know our engine/trans very well.

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2011, 06:20 AM   #3
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
I would say the engine is done. Unless you are comfortable splitting the case. Meta bits are never a good thing to find.
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 25th, 2011, 11:30 AM   #4
TonyKZ1
ninjette.org member

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 1975 Kawasaki KZ400D (Sold), 1989 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (sold), 1997 Yamaha XJ600s Seca II

Yea, I wasn't really comfortable splitting the case. I could do it, but getting it all back together again working and with no oil leaks might be another job all together.

So I guess I'll replace it and keep putting more miles on the little Ninja, instead of buying another bike which was an option, but due to lack of major funds not really feasible.

As it turns out, one of the vendors I occasionally buy stuff from on eBay has one, less than 5k miles and somewhat local, well local in this case being on the other side of the state. But I'll drive up there, pick it up, and be home in a day. Oh and the price for this engine is $200, not too bad I guess at least compared to the $500-600 dollar ones I was seeing on eBay and their $200 shipping fees.

In a way, I didn't really want to buy another bike, even though I'm kinda wanting a 500-600cc bike. Since I just put new tires, Pirelli Sport Demons, on a few weeks ago. And I've already got the upgraded front forks, rear shock, and stator installed on this one.
Tony