Go Back   ninjette.org > New Members

Notices

Old July 24th, 2019, 09:27 PM   #1
AbleOpus
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

Story of a new Dartmouth NS rider

I got a Black Ninja 250r 2010 with underglow from a nice lady about 2 months before this post. It is a great bike to rip around on. I have not ridden a motorcycle before (aside from my training course). I bought it pretty compulsively and disregarded some bad signs of this bike when the previous owner brought it to me. It has some bad-sounding starts, warm and cold, and looks like it was often off-roaded several times (for just a few examples). But I couldn't help myself, I wanted this bike in black and it was my only option nearby in this color. The seller was also really agreeable and even drove the bike an hour to my home for my convenience.

I've been learning proper care and maintenance on the bike, and the bike now starts up a bit better. I really like to work with the electrical, and inners in general of the bike, even though I am not a gear head. I am taking much better care of it than the previous owner.

The previous owner says that I should only use the underglow in parking lots while parked or I will be ticketed. There seems to be some weird hearsay around this topic in my area. There is no law against underglow here other than having front-visible red and blue lights. Yet, the consensus is that underglow will elicit a ticket. There are no documented instances of anyone getting ticketed for underglow in my area, so I will probably use it at night for safety purposes (mine it isn't obnoxious or anything).

The Ninja is much more forgiving than the 300cc bikes I drove in my course in that the Ninja is very hard to stall, weighs probably 50lbs less, and all-around functions better than the course bikes. The course bikes were all dropped several times but the shifting still felt way too indistinct even with that in consideration. Like there was no distinct clicks in the shifter and I just had to hope I was shifting. I was like "jeez, are all bikes like this?" Thankfully, they are not.

Getting on the road in traffic with a motorcycle was one of the most anxiety-inducing things I have ever done. Though, I quickly got used to it and now employ a number of practices and techniques to minimize the chance of getting my soul crushed by a 1500 kg passenger vehicle. I have heard people on the internet say again and again "You are invisible on a motorcycle." This did not prepare or console me for what was to come...

I have all black gear and my bike is black, but I am transparent like glass it seems. I am going with the theme of black as primary and Kawasaki/lime green as secondary. I am going to decorate my bike and helmet with reflective green strips to increase my visibility. I bought some wholesale wide strips of reflective lime green tape while I should be able to cut some neat patterns out of. Don't worry, it will be well thought out and not a silly mess of tape. I also have an aftermarket slip-on exhaust on order to make myself louder, don't you worry, it isn't too obnoxious compared to the larger bikes ripping around in my area. The stock exhaust seems a bit bulky an unmodern-looking compared to the rest of the bike. I also realized that I can bring attention to myself by pulling the clutch in a revving the engine. I used to think motorcyclists that were doing this in parking lots just wanted attention on a simpler level, but it actually is a decent safety precaution.

Some other people I work with (at a restaurant) noticed that I am driving to work on a sportbike that I purchased for 2500 and are like, "Damn, I thought it was way more expensive than that, I need to get one, I've always wanted to get a bike." I honestly don't know if this is a serious statement or are they actually eventually going to get a bike. Regardless, one of these person's could very well be the most attractive female I have ever met. I should convince her to ride a motorcycle (and my dong) or I will regret it when I am older.

Riding motorcycles is just what I am looking for in life — intense activities that require focus. It provides some good stimulus while at the same time it facilitates focus (you won't find your mind wandering too much on a bike because you are too focused on not dying or damaging your machine). It is as if I am one with my bike. My mind goes from a noisy stream of thought to just evaluating my surroundings. Like looking for potholes or people pulling out of driveways. It is still analytical but rather quiet compared to my default state of mind.

I hope you found this relatable in some way.
AbleOpus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2019, 09:47 PM   #2
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
AbleOpus! Glad you found us...

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2019, 10:04 PM   #3
ninjette.org member

Name: Garry

Motorcycle(s): GPX250 1989 model and 1990 model

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbleOpus View Post
I got a Black Ninja 250r 2010 with underglow from a nice lady about 2 months before this post. It is a great bike to rip around on. I have not ridden a motorcycle before (aside from my training course). I bought it pretty compulsively and disregarded some bad signs of this bike when the previous owner brought it to me. It has some bad-sounding starts, warm and cold, and looks like it was often off-roaded several times (for just a few examples). But I couldn't help myself, I wanted this bike in black and it was my only option nearby in this color. The seller was also really agreeable and even drove the bike an hour to my home for my convenience.

I've been learning proper care and maintenance on the bike, and the bike now starts up a bit better. I really like to work with the electrical, and inners in general of the bike, even though I am not a gear head. I am taking much better care of it than the previous owner.

The previous owner says that I should only use the underglow in parking lots while parked or I will be ticketed. There seems to be some weird hearsay around this topic in my area. There is no law against underglow here other than having front-visible red and blue lights. Yet, the consensus is that underglow will elicit a ticket. There are no documented instances of anyone getting ticketed for underglow in my area, so I will probably use it at night for safety purposes (mine it isn't obnoxious or anything).

The Ninja is much more forgiving than the 300cc bikes I drove in my course in that the Ninja is very hard to stall, weighs probably 50lbs less, and all-around functions better than the course bikes. The course bikes were all dropped several times but the shifting still felt way too indistinct even with that in consideration. Like there was no distinct clicks in the shifter and I just had to hope I was shifting. I was like "jeez, are all bikes like this?" Thankfully, they are not.

Getting on the road in traffic with a motorcycle was one of the most anxiety-inducing things I have ever done. Though, I quickly got used to it and now employ a number of practices and techniques to minimize the chance of getting my soul crushed by a 1500 kg passenger vehicle. I have heard people on the internet say again and again "You are invisible on a motorcycle." This did not prepare or console me for what was to come...

I have all black gear and my bike is black, but I am transparent like glass it seems. I am going with the theme of black as primary and Kawasaki/lime green as secondary. I am going to decorate my bike and helmet with reflective green strips to increase my visibility. I bought some wholesale wide strips of reflective lime green tape while I should be able to cut some neat patterns out of. Don't worry, it will be well thought out and not a silly mess of tape. I also have an aftermarket slip-on exhaust on order to make myself louder, don't you worry, it isn't too obnoxious compared to the larger bikes ripping around in my area. The stock exhaust seems a bit bulky an unmodern-looking compared to the rest of the bike. I also realized that I can bring attention to myself by pulling the clutch in a revving the engine. I used to think motorcyclists that were doing this in parking lots just wanted attention on a simpler level, but it actually is a decent safety precaution.

Some other people I work with (at a restaurant) noticed that I am driving to work on a sportbike that I purchased for 2500 and are like, "Damn, I thought it was way more expensive than that, I need to get one, I've always wanted to get a bike." I honestly don't know if this is a serious statement or are they actually eventually going to get a bike. Regardless, one of these person's could very well be the most attractive female I have ever met. I should convince her to ride a motorcycle (and my dong) or I will regret it when I am older.

Riding motorcycles is just what I am looking for in life — intense activities that require focus. It provides some good stimulus while at the same time it facilitates focus (you won't find your mind wandering too much on a bike because you are too focused on not dying or damaging your machine). It is as if I am one with my bike. My mind goes from a noisy stream of thought to just evaluating my surroundings. Like looking for potholes or people pulling out of driveways. It is still analytical but rather quiet compared to my default state of mind.

I hope you found this relatable in some way.
Your last paragraph says it all!

Old July 26th, 2019, 09:40 AM   #4
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
I really like the Kawi green. That will make a nice accent to your blak. I'm bright yellow but I still ride like I'm invisible, and how do I keep out of where the other guy's stupid can hurt me?

Welcome to riding and to the forums!
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2019, 04:36 PM   #5
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Hi-viz comes down to amount of surface area. I got hit in '88 with just day-glo helmet and straight pipes. Now I have entire outfit (even neon socks!), neon-green bike, headlight-modulator and hazard-flashers. Recently added dual-tone horns and no hesitation on using them!!!

DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2019, 07:16 PM   #6
AbleOpus
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Hi-viz comes down to amount of surface area. I got hit in '88 with just day-glo helmet and straight pipes. Now I have entire outfit (even neon socks!), neon-green bike, headlight-modulator and hazard-flashers. Recently added dual-tone horns and no hesitation on using them!!!

Of course, I was upgrading my jacket and almost bought a jacket much like that in the image (just without the checkers), but the best fitting I could get was black. I guess I will have to do what I can with reflective material. I was also recently looking at an aftermarket horn myself to be louder, but I realized that once I get my aftermarket exhaust I can just pull the clutch in and high rev and that would be plenty loud.

Old July 26th, 2019, 07:24 PM   #7
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Hello and welcome!
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2019, 10:05 AM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Your initial instincts were correct. Riders pulling in the clutch to rev the engine loud are being foolish. It's a completely useless safety precaution, and wastes critical moments that should be used to avoid whatever the actual risk is. Pulling the bike out of gear to make noise takes away one of the tools that can actually be used to save yourself - immediate acceleration in a direction that could help. Even if the plan is emergency braking rather than swerving or accelerating, worrying about revving the engine simultaneously will mean the rider will perform that emergency brake that much worse than they would have otherwise.

Bottomline, it's a dumb habit done out of impatience and anger - not safety.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2019, 04:17 PM   #9
AbleOpus
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Your initial instincts were correct. Riders pulling in the clutch to rev the engine loud are being foolish. It's a completely useless safety precaution, and wastes critical moments that should be used to avoid whatever the actual risk is. Pulling the bike out of gear to make noise takes away one of the tools that can actually be used to save yourself - immediate acceleration in a direction that could help. Even if the plan is emergency braking rather than swerving or accelerating, worrying about revving the engine simultaneously will mean the rider will perform that emergency brake that much worse than they would have otherwise.

Bottomline, it's a dumb habit done out of impatience and anger - not safety.
That is a good point. But it's more something you would do navigating tight spaces rather than in a sticky situation, much like how forklifts always beep horns in a warehouse. I was trained to beep the horn around all corners and halfway down every aisle. Of course, one cannot beep one's horn all the time on a motorcycle.

Old July 28th, 2019, 12:47 PM   #10
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

It's dumb everywhere on a bike. People with the windows rolled up and the music on won't be able to place the noise until it's too late for them to react anyway. It's a childish, pointless exercise with no safety justification.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2019, 05:32 PM   #11
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
I've never found much use in noisemaking other than personal enjoyment. I could see some use in that. Might be fun in a tunnel.

I would agree that your best bet for safety is immediate escape rather than trying to get the other guy to move.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2019, 09:57 AM   #12
AbleOpus
ninjette.org member

Re

You don't use it in sticky situations as aforementioned. It is to draw attention to oneself strategically. It is always acceptable to employ either passive or active techniques to draw attention to oneself to avoid bad situations. Avoid sticky situations altogether, don't wait for them to happen and expect to have the space and maneuverability to move out of the way. The pros outweigh the cons (of losing throttle input for a split second) if done at the right moments.

This is not to be used in place of regular road use of the horn, or during moments of duress. I have already clarified this in a previous reply. Refrain from using these situations in an attempt to support your point.

Old August 17th, 2019, 06:49 PM   #13
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2019, 06:21 PM   #14
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Welcome