Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Notices

Old July 13th, 2009, 08:23 AM   #1
Broom
Track Junkie

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r Track Bike, DR350 commuter, KDX220 woods bike

Dragging Toes

got my toes down for the first time this weekend on the 250. i've worn through lots of toe sliders throughout the years, but this is the first time i've got my toes to touch down on the 250 with the rearsets. for some reason i feel a sense of accomplishment... haha

at one point i had the bike topped out and cranked over in a fast right hander with my toe on the ground and both wheels sliding and chattering out from under me due to a rough seam in the track. scared the crap outa me, but all is well.

by the end of the day on saturday i had my right toe dragging consistantly, but never the left. not sure if its a corner speed issue or a body position issue. has anyone got a peg down yet? wondering if our tires will handle that angle or not.

i had the video camera on the bike and recording at the starting grid, but when i asked my dad if he could see the red light flashing (he works the grid) for some reason he pushed the shutter button and stopped the recording.... so all i got was him shutting off the camera and not the awesome battle i had with another 250

Old July 13th, 2009, 08:50 AM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broom View Post
i had the video camera on the bike and recording at the starting grid, but when i asked my dad if he could see the red light flashing (he works the grid) for some reason he pushed the shutter button and stopped the recording.... so all i got was him shutting off the camera and not the awesome battle i had with another 250
I think he gets banned from future camera duty.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2009, 08:57 AM   #3
Broom
Track Junkie

after the race i noticed it wasn't recording and asked if he pushed the button... "yeah, why?"

"damn-it man! i asked if you saw a flashing light. i didn't say anything about pushing buttons!"

haha... we were bummed. next time we'll both know better.

Old July 13th, 2009, 09:31 AM   #4
gizmogamez
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE Green

when I was out, i had the pegs dragging...wore through a good few millimeters of the left one, but they are the stock pegs in stock position...on the right side there was a little grinding, but my stock exhaust took most of the damage lol...

my toe sliders did come in handy, but i'm looking into rearsets and exhaust for over the winter, so next year will be a new challenge.

i ran with the stock IRC tires, and I have about 4mm of un used tire so I know i will have more room once some mods are made.
gizmogamez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2009, 09:34 AM   #5
Broom
Track Junkie

once you get rearsets the next thing to hit the ground will be your kickstand mount, and its very unforgiving. it caused my brother to crash ours before we cut it off.... be careful.

Old July 13th, 2009, 09:36 AM   #6
gizmogamez
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE Green

thx for the warning. guess I'll be buying a nice pair of stands then.
gizmogamez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2009, 11:02 AM   #7
komohana
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

congrats on the toe-touch down! sense of accomplishment indeed
too bad bout the vid, would have loved to see that action

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2009, 12:17 PM   #8
ROADandTRACK
R&T Suspension

Name: K Hertell

Motorcycle(s): Too many to list

I don't know how you are dong that Jon. My big butt on there won't drag the pegs. I suspect rear ride height based on the chatter you mentioned. Which we didn't have.
ROADandTRACK is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2009, 12:25 PM   #9
Broom
Track Junkie

i don't normally have any chatter. i just hit those bumps going into the first series of right handers after big bend (forget the name of those turns) and it upset the bike a bit. theres a bump going into little bend that would upset the bike a bit too. i'm sure a little adjustment could sort that out... i just don't know what that adjustment is i just adjusted my line accordingly

you may be right about the rear being a bit lower than some of the other bikes. i know our front forks are lower in the trees than most of the other 250s. we've been slowly raising the rear and dropping the front through out the year to get the bike to change direction a little easier.

how'd you guys do saturday afternoon? i saw you guys pushing around a bike a lot more than you were riding it before i left at about 1

Old July 13th, 2009, 01:24 PM   #10
ROADandTRACK
R&T Suspension

Name: K Hertell

Motorcycle(s): Too many to list

That damn thing broke again. Oh well.....

My kid had a good time at least. He's going to run the Ninja full time now in ESS and F4.
ROADandTRACK is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2009, 08:03 AM   #11
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

May I ask, what organization are you guys racing with?
rockNroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2009, 08:12 AM   #12
Broom
Track Junkie

CMRA

Old July 16th, 2009, 09:47 AM   #13
rockNroll

Thank You
rockNroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2009, 02:17 PM   #14
shortstuff
ninjette.org member

Name: Stacey

Motorcycle(s): 08 250

I thought people dragged knee, not toe [confused]
shortstuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2009, 09:32 AM   #15
Broom
Track Junkie

at some point you get the bike leaned over enough and some other stuff will start touching as well

Old August 9th, 2009, 05:29 AM   #16
Mista Bob
Über n00b

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Triumph TT600, Honda NS50F, Kawasaki ZZR-250 (sold)

Never managed to get anything to touch the ground on my 250, but I also never really explored the limits of that bike.

On my DR650 I had my toe touch down once.
I figure that that's pretty close to the limits of my tires (they are on/off road tires).
Judging by the tire wear and my lil incident not too long after that, it would seem to be true.

There's a guy here who runs track days at a go-kart track, he is a truly amazing rider.
He has to wear elbow sliders on his NSR as he gets down so low.
Mista Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2010, 08:56 PM   #17
08ninja250
ninjette.org member

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 250

I have the woodcraft rearsets because i grinded the stock ones down. i did grind the left rearset a few times. I was told that toe scraping meant had bad foot position so I kept my toes tucked in.
Colin #191 - Area P, Elka Shock, Woodcraft Clip-Ons and Rearsets, Attack Race Bodywork, BT 003RS, .700 Fork Springs, DynoJet Stage 2 and BMC High Flow Air Filter.
613 MOTORSPORTS.COM
08ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2010, 09:08 PM   #18
jpaulsen
Morsickle Rider

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha FZ1, 2006 Triumph Daytona 675 (race), 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250

If your body position is correct, the first thing touching should be your knee, not your toe. Toe only (no knee) you need to correct some other things first. We see it fairly regularly with the "B" group in NESBA.

Jim
jpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2010, 08:41 AM   #19
08ninja250
ninjette.org member

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 250

Ok great thanks for the clarification!
Colin #191 - Area P, Elka Shock, Woodcraft Clip-Ons and Rearsets, Attack Race Bodywork, BT 003RS, .700 Fork Springs, DynoJet Stage 2 and BMC High Flow Air Filter.
613 MOTORSPORTS.COM
08ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2010, 01:24 PM   #20
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaulsen View Post
If your body position is correct, the first thing touching should be your knee, not your toe. Toe only (no knee) you need to correct some other things first. We see it fairly regularly with the "B" group in NESBA.

Jim
I have a question about this as it's something I've been working to improve. Can short legs ever be a factor in which drags first, knee or toe? I ask b/c I've scraped toe a few times, and though I'm not trying to drag knee on the roads by any means, I've always wondered why my toe seems to scrape prior to my knee ever touching ground. I also have peg feelers, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference as they tend to scrape pretty early and act as my warning. My profile and avatar pics give good actions shots that show my body position, so if anyone has any ideas what I should do differently, let me know. I feel like I have decent form, though I know I could certainly lower my body a bit more than I do now, but I'm only 5'4" w/ my legs being shorter than my torso. I just wondered if short-legged people can also drag knee. Cheers and happy halfway day!

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2010, 01:36 PM   #21
rockNroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
I have a question about this as it's something I've been working to improve. Can short legs ever be a factor in which drags first, knee or toe? I ask b/c I've scraped toe a few times, and though I'm not trying to drag knee on the roads by any means, I've always wondered why my toe seems to scrape prior to my knee ever touching ground. I also have peg feelers, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference as they tend to scrape pretty early and act as my warning. My profile and avatar pics give good actions shots that show my body position, so if anyone has any ideas what I should do differently, let me know. I feel like I have decent form, though I know I could certainly lower my body a bit more than I do now, but I'm only 5'4" w/ my legs being shorter than my torso. I just wondered if short-legged people can also drag knee. Cheers and happy halfway day!
Everything else being equal, yeah sure, a longer leg is gonna put knee down before a short leg (the knee is further down because the thigh is longer) so at same bike lean angle, same foot position, a longer leg could get knee while the shorter leg is gettin toe. Your form looks good in the picture but it's kinda hard to say if your position is good for the corner speed you're carrying or if you're off too far/ not off far enough. What I see people do a lot of is trying to get their knee down while going too slow and they get all caddywhompus with it.

You have the stock pegs on there? You're lookin like you could do with some clearance there anyway, which will help you keep your toes off the road some. It does look like you're up on the ball of your foot in the picture so i'm seeing you needing pegs up and back some, your ass a tad more off the seat and maybe a little more corner speed.

Your pictures look great

Old October 6th, 2010, 03:37 PM   #22
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
You have the stock pegs on there? You're lookin like you could do with some clearance there anyway, which will help you keep your toes off the road some. It does look like you're up on the ball of your foot in the picture so i'm seeing you needing pegs up and back some, your ass a tad more off the seat and maybe a little more corner speed.

Your pictures look great
Helpful advice. Thanks Rock! By the above statement, are you saying my pegs should be moved back and up? I ask b/c riding my Ninja 650, the pegs are definitely in a different spot than my "Lil' Ninj" and seem to be back farther. While riding, I like the back and up position of the pegs on my "Big Ninj". So are foot pegs adjustable? question, I'm sure. lol!
Yep, still have the stock pegs and feelers.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2010, 03:42 PM   #23
Cuongism
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Stock pegs aren't but they do make adjustable rearsets. Rearsets will also add clearance so your toes won't drag (at least harder to).
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote