Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old February 4th, 2010, 11:45 AM   #1
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

I was having issues...

Not riding for over a week starts to annoy me after a while. I wanted to go riding today, but there was a problem. It was raining pretty good outside.

I needed to go and pick up some medicine for my wife, so I decided to say screw it. It was raining, but I didn't care. I got my rain gear on and a pair of steel toed work boots (not waterproof mind you) and headed out into the watery horizon.

Ahh the wonderful bliss of riding in the rain. I needed that. I had my helmet on and realized I did not have my earplugs. Ah, who cares? The doc office was only about 6 miles away from the house, speeds below 55mph. It isn't a big deal.

So I headed out. I went directly to the doctors office and picked up the Rx. I then decided that distance was not enough and proceeded to just ride around the local roads for a good hour or so.

I got back, every part of me is dry except for my hands (wore summer gloves) and my non-waterproof covered feet. I think it is time I start looking for waterproof riding boots.

I'm telling you, riding is like yoga for the mind. A great way to clear your mind.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2010, 11:48 AM   #2
bob706
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

+1 for waterproof gloves and boots.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2010, 12:30 PM   #3
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I have riding boots, but they just cover the ankle and aren't waterproof.

Any recommendations of a calf-high waterproof riding boot? Or something that does the waterproof and summer thing well?

Old February 4th, 2010, 01:32 PM   #4
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Riding in the rain is realy not as bad as people think as long as you have on the proper gear.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2010, 01:41 PM   #5
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I agree. I would much rather ride in the rain than drive my car in the rain. I am a better operator on a motorcycle than in a car. I drift the back end in the car for "fun" quite often. I do not do stupid stuff on the bike.

I think I need to order my corbin seat soon.

What is a good tail bag I can get for the pre-gen ninja? I'd like something to hold my lunch on the way to work. I'd like it to be hard shell and water proof for those wet mornings. Once it gets warm, a backpack is not the way to haul things. I'd like to go ahead and get a tail bag now before the heat starts to return.

Old February 4th, 2010, 06:50 PM   #6
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Boots.

Treds Motorcycle Rain Boots look like a good product and the price is not bad at $34.99 (XS to XL) & $39.99 (XXL).

Jeff
JeffM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2010, 07:05 PM   #7
ScraitT
Green!

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R, 04 Honda CRF230F, 94 Honda XR80R

I love riding in the rain, there's just something peaceful about it (as long as there arent tons of cars around)

Old February 4th, 2010, 07:45 PM   #8
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Quote:
I love riding in the rain, there's just something peaceful about it
I smile when I hear the noise the drops make when they hit my helmet. It always suprised me at first but then I think it is kind of cool. Plus, the cagers look at you funny.

Jeff
JeffM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2010, 08:09 PM   #9
MKlein3004
Fighting Texas Aggie '08

Name: Mitchell

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r (Race), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R 636 (Track), 2005 Ducati Monster 620 (Street)

man i wish i had your confidence, if its rainy out i get in the cage. I had two bad spills and they where both in the rain.
MKlein3004 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2010, 08:17 PM   #10
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Bad spills? Care to elaborate?

Back when I had my GS500, I was leaving my place of residence, making a left handed turn when the back end gave way. This was on pretty fresh asphalt and I was definitely a squid at the time. I was still learning quite a bit. What I learned that day is even if the back end slides out, stay on the gas. Right after the incident, while I was out riding on the wet roads, I realized the secret to rain riding...

1. BE SMOOTH
2. Cut lean angles more than in half
3. Break early, tap the lever before actual application so others notice you
4. No sudden control inputs
5. BE SMOOTH

Don't fear the rain. There is a chance that while you are out riding one day you get stuck in some rain. If you are scared, you are more likely to get hurt riding a motorcycle.

Next time it rains, take the bike out on slow, low-traffic roads. Ease back into wet riding. Soon enough you'll be more comfortable with it and will find yourself out there with us rain riders.

Old February 4th, 2010, 08:44 PM   #11
min nin
ninjette.org member

Name: terry

Motorcycle(s): 2007 250r

I once rode a 5000 mile trip. 500 miles in rain, running from a florida hurricane, and torrential downpour. It was the best trip ever.

My raingear was cheap walmart stuff and pullover rubber boots. I think I had $50.00 in gear and stayed dry and happy.

Terry

Maybe this should be in the hardcore post too.
min nin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2010, 02:20 AM   #12
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I didn't make it to the first stop light and back and my crotch was soaked like I urinated in my pants (got called back to work to stay another hour; answered w/ my Bluetooth helmet). I was wearing FULL rain gear WITH waterproof boots and let me tell you: The boots don't help. They trap in sweat which will soak your socks anyway (year-round rain or shine for me... they are my only riding boots) and take longer to dry. On top of that, my rain suit dumped all the water that compromised my suit straight down into them anyway despite them fitting AROUND the top of the boots with straps running underneath.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2010, 05:43 AM   #13
demp
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2015 V-Star 950 Tourer (Deep Blue)

Amen,

I too love riding in the rain, <3 goretex gear
demp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2010, 06:10 AM   #14
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

I rode in the real rain once on my GSXR.
I was on the freeway when it started.
None of the water even hit me. I was surprised. I didn't get wet at all.
I was however scared that my tires would wash out so slowed way down and move into the right lane. This was about half way down the Cajon pass. The semi trucks were passing me.
It was also freezing cold and snow in the mountains to my right coming down the pass (Wrightwood area)

Had to be a man and stay on the freeway until the bottom of the pass where all those drivers coming from Vegas are always going 100mph regardless of conditions. Was kinda creepy but I made it out alive. Spent the rest of the ride home on the wet backroads doing burnouts all over the place. Traction = 0 in the rain. I know better to not ride in it when at all possible.
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2010, 08:41 AM   #15
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Weird. I have total traction in the rain. I just stay smooth. I have been at a solid 45* lean while it was pouring, and not once did I feel like I was about to lose control.

Old February 5th, 2010, 09:32 AM   #16
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Weird. I have total traction in the rain. I just stay smooth. I have been at a solid 45* lean while it was pouring, and not once did I feel like I was about to lose control.
Don't get too confident though. Avoid driving over manhole and utility covers when turning as they may cause your rear tire to suddenly lose and then gain traction mid-turn until they slide away (sideways) and suddenly regain it while your bike is facing a slightly different angle.

Also, my encounter with wet cattle guards in AZ was a doozy. It was bad enough that I could barely get a foothold when stopping (feet kept slipping between the wet bars... it's kind of the whole point so that cows don't go up the freeway ramps), but I could barely avoid losing the bike from a complete stop when it came time to start again. The rear tire would just spin while slotted between the wet bars, but just because it can't go forward doesn't mean it isn't going to go somewhere... it will slide to the left of right and pitch the bike over and you likely won't have the footing to stop it! I'm VERY lucky that I didn't drop it but it took several tries and near-drops to get free. Even then, I had to cross over another mid-turn to get back on the freeway and I felt my tire slide to the right even though I straightened out as much as possible and didn't stop.

Even when I seemingly had tons of traction, I once found that my rear tire was locking up with even the tiniest touch no matter how slow I was going. Basically, I had to cross the intersection from a stand-still (stop light) and then immediately turn right into a parking lot, but I couldn't. Each time I applied the rear brakes the bike would just keep going and my rear tire would shift to the right. I didn't apply more front brake because stopping would have gotten me run over and I would rather keep my rear tire behind me so that I can release the brake and continue (which I did... 3 times). It was so disorienting that I ended up sailing right past the turn/entrance while trying to slow down despite going at such a slow speed to start with.

I've been riding in the rain since te very first ride out of the dealer when I got absolutely DRENCHED despite my $80 rainsuit that they had just sold me. When I stopped at the closest gas station, water poured out of my sleeve and into my tank while I filled it up. It was a steady stream!

Another tip: Just because you seem to be staying dry doesn't mean you shouldn't pull over and protect your electronics. I was trying to beat a bigger storm when I crossed the country so I decided to keep riding until I needed gas. "Besides... my pants are still 100% dry. Only my helmet and gloves are wet." I thought. WRONG. I was drafting 18-wheelers to avoid the killer wind and they threw up tons of mist from the road. It seems that the mist wraps around the fairing and deposits right in my jacket pocket because I reached in and my hand was completely submerged in water. I lost a brand new iPhone 3G that way (in 2008).
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2010, 09:59 AM   #17
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

Mark, I've invested in the Icon Accelerant W/proof boots. Pricey but they fit great, good support and padding is plush. 1st time on could wear them all day without any issues. Waterproof and really warm. Soles grip pavement well in rain and of course dry pavement. Also good grip on pebble type surfaces. Wear these more than any of the other boots I have for the bike. Love em. Tried them on @ Moto Liberty Dallas and purchased same day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg icon accel.jpg (26.5 KB, 62 views)
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2010, 09:59 AM   #18
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Oh, I learned early on that
water + motorcycle + metal on the road = bad things.

I dodge all metal on the road. That is super slick when wet. Yeah, I was trained in that physics lesson when I was about 9 years old on my bicycle. It hurt. lol

Old February 5th, 2010, 10:01 AM   #19
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Thanks addy. I'll have to check those out. The bike dealer near me only had summer boots. I'll look into those.

Old February 5th, 2010, 10:03 AM   #20
addy126

Mark... weather is clearing out up here as we speak. I think I've gonna finally get out and ride this afternoon! Yeah! I'm so happy!

Old February 5th, 2010, 10:06 AM   #21
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Just as I read that, the sun started to peek through the clouds over here. lol

Old February 5th, 2010, 01:13 PM   #22
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

One of the sneakiest hazards in the wet is Traffic Lines. Anything painted on the pavement can be like ice. Found that out on the bicycle.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2010, 03:51 PM   #23
EngrNewf
Geeket

Name: Terri-Lynn

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Riding in the rain is realy not as bad as people think as long as you have on the proper gear.
+1

Old February 5th, 2010, 04:37 PM   #24
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I went out for a 30 minute ride today since it looked decent outside. It was refreshing to go out and putt around.

Old February 6th, 2010, 05:21 PM   #25
addy126

Ditto that Mark, also zipped over and had my N-250 state inspected. That was a treat so quick and so cheap! $ 14.95......... yes beats the amt I have to pay on my car. Good for another year