Notices

Old April 1st, 2011, 05:28 PM   #1
CmichRider
ninjette.org member

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250

Looking to buy gear for MSF class

Hey guys,

I'm researching some gear to get before I take my MSF class in June. I don't really know where to start with brands..I hear good things about Scorpion, Icon, Alpinestar. I've picked out some gear on Motorcycle superstore..hoped you guys could critique it. I'm on a seriously limited budget here so keep that in mind.

Helmet: Scorpion EXO-400 Rebel
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=Cart_Item

I wanted a light colored helmet for visibility.

Jacket: Scorpion Holeshot

Don't know a whole lot about it, it's got tons of great reviews and is in my price range. I picked the neon color.

Gloves: Icon Twenty Niner

Don't know much about gloves, they got good reviews and weren't out of my price range.

Kneepads:A* Reflex

Affordable and good reviews.

I still need to get boots also. Thanks for helping me.
CmichRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2011, 05:36 PM   #2
kkim

I would just borrow a helmet, wear a long sleeved jacket and heavy jeans, some leather gloves and some heavy duty shoes to take the course.

I wouldn't invest any money before I knew I wanted to ride for sure and this course is designed to do just that.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2011, 05:42 PM   #3
jmgrande
YEAH! Custom name tag.

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R SE- SOLD to maverick9611

I wouldn't plan on spending money on gear until after the class. You want to make sure you enjoy riding and understand the risks and responsibilities that come with riding. For my class we were supplied with a helmet and were required to wear a long sleeve shirt, pants, boots, and gloves were suggested. IMO I don't think much more is necessary for the class. You normally don't exceed 25 mph. The class does have it's risks and can cause injury (minor or major) if you are not careful or listen closely to the instructors. There were two people who dumped the bikes during the class while they were negotiating turns, but it was under 10 mph and just ended up being slightly embarrassed, but passed the class without problem.

I am a believer in having good quality gear, always wearing my gear, and I feel you get what you pay for.

Whatever you decide, have fun and enjoy the MSF class. Happy and safe riding!

Old April 1st, 2011, 05:44 PM   #4
ManiacalNinja
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): None YET.

Hey CmichRider. I too will be taking the MSF course pretty soon. For it, I bought some Black scorpion gloves. I got the gloves from Here: Black Scorpion motorcycle gloves I personally think they're great. I even posted a little review on them here just yesterday. Feel free to look at it Here: My Review on the gloves.

As for the helmet, scorpion too makes great helmets for a great price. I've read many reviews where people have gotten into accidents and the helmet protected them. One person even stated he had no clue he hit his head till he looked at the helmet. He bought another scorpion helmet after the crash. If your looking for something relatively cheap with amazing quality, scorpion is the way to go

As for boots, I literally went to Kmart and bought some Black Work Wear boots made by Wrangler. They fit great and are comfortable for the price of 30 bucks plus tax. They provide some sturdy ankle support and what not. They really just want something that'll be sturdy as in a pair of work boots (or actually boots made for motorcycles) and that cover your ankle. You can always but a more expensive and better protecting boots later on if you want.

Jacket wise, that jacket looks nice plus its a scorpion. I personally love the Scorpion eternity (its a new one they just came out with) but its about 300 bucks. -_- That jacket looks good and I read that it vents, which is something you'll want since summer is coming up. Becareful with black though. I wanted a black jacket but considering I live in florida I'm deciding to get white. (Black gets hotter quicker thanks to the sun.) Anywho, hope you have a safe ride and tell me how the MSF course was. Hope this helped you some.
Cheers.

Edit: But you should also listen to the people above. I'm holding off on getting my jacket and helmet until I really know I want to ride. I just have gloves and a the work boots for now.

Old April 1st, 2011, 05:48 PM   #5
warlord
ninjette.org guru

Name: war

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ducati Panigale 899

My wife is taking her MSF class this weekend, she's actually at the night orientation classroom portion right now. We bought her some fieldsheer gloves, a shift jacket, and a rainsuit since it's going to rain on Sunday. That's it, she'll use a pair of boots she already owns and use one of their helmets.

Heck, when I went through the MSF I didn't buy a single thing...
warlord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2011, 06:11 PM   #6
CmichRider
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the replies.

I may just hold off on buying til after the MSF, I can always borrow a helmet to use.

This is the requirements for the class.

1. Driver’s license, if 15 years of age - permit & waiver form (on website)
2. D.O.T. approved helmet
3. Long pants only - no shorts (jeans are suggested)
4. Boots - no high heels or tennis shoes (ankles must be covered)
5. Eye protection - goggles or face shield
6. Gloves - sturdy and full fingered

Old April 1st, 2011, 06:15 PM   #7
kkim

I would definitely add a long sleeve shirt or jacket to that list. Skin is not stronger than asphalt no matter what some may believe.

Old April 1st, 2011, 06:15 PM   #8
AMMOCAN
SLIME-R

Name: AMMOCAN

Motorcycle(s): *SOLD* '10 Kawasaki 250R SE A.K.A. SLIME-R *SOLD*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
I would just borrow a helmet, wear a long sleeved jacket and heavy jeans, some leather gloves and some heavy duty shoes to take the course.

I wouldn't invest any money before I knew I wanted to ride for sure and this course is designed to do just that.
This is great advice! I would also like to add, that when you are ready and finally do purchase some gear, it is a very good idea to make sure you have tried things on and know what fits you both in price and comfort. Yes, many online stores have great deals and return policies, but do you really want to hassle with having to return something because you later find out it isn't what you wanted or it doesn't fit? I know I sure don't, especially if that means I can't ride because I now have to wait yet again before I can get it taken care of and get the correct stuff.

Please listen to the great advice that has been given to you. After your BRC, if you still feel strongly about riding then be sure to read the great reviews on gear both here in this forum and at other sites. After doing so, proceed to the motorcycle gear shops around you and get a feel for your exact size and needs. Most of all, have fun.

Old April 1st, 2011, 06:35 PM   #9
warlord
ninjette.org guru

Name: war

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ducati Panigale 899

This is the list for required apparel for the MSF in Illinois, I see that long sleeves are missing from your list. Without a doubt I would recommend you cover up with something durable.

Helmet: minimum 3/4 coverage, DOT approved. A helmet will be provided if you do not have one.
Boots: tall enough to cover the ankle bones, with a normal (1"-2") heels. High-top leather or heavy synthetic material gym shoes that cover the ankle bones are acceptable.
Long pants: must be a heavy material such as denim with straight legs and no cuts, open holes worn or cut into them.
Gloves: must be full fingered. Leather is preferred; open backs are discouraged but acceptable.
Long-sleeved protective clothing: shirt or jacket, sleeves must come down to cover the wrist.
Eye protection: face shield, glasses, or goggles. Prescription glasses or regular sunglasses are acceptable.
warlord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2011, 06:41 PM   #10
ManiacalNinja
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): None YET.

Most places usually provide a helmet if one is not purchased by the tiem u take the course. Perhaps you can call them and ask if they have any that u could use?? The fitting idea is a great idea. Go to a local store and get fitted. Then remember what u liked and buy it online for cheaper prices lol. Plus when u wear jeans make sure they arent baggy. I love baggy pants and wear them all the time. Ima have to barrow my dads pair because they're more tighter near the ankle area. U dont want flapping jeans the whole time lol. A good pair of levis should do.

Old April 1st, 2011, 07:58 PM   #11
CmichRider
ninjette.org member

Good advice here..

I don't think I'll go out and buy stuff right away then. I've got my permit..so I can ride with anyone who's got a full cycle endorsement, maybe i'll put some miles on doing that and then buy my gear from there. I guess I'm so stoked about even the concept of riding that I just want my MSF course to be tomorrow! I've always loved riding things with 2 wheels, and shoot...I even have fun on mopeds, my only complaint is that I wish they went faster!

...although there was that one time when I was turning a corner and slid on some gravel, yep..dumped a moped.

Old April 1st, 2011, 08:12 PM   #12
jmgrande
YEAH! Custom name tag.

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R SE- SOLD to maverick9611

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmichRider View Post
Good advice here..

I don't think I'll go out and buy stuff right away then. I've got my permit..so I can ride with anyone who's got a full cycle endorsement, maybe i'll put some miles on doing that and then buy my gear from there.
Well if your out riding already you should be properly geared...

All the suggestion were pertaining to taking the class and the (mostly) controlled environment it is held in.

Old April 1st, 2011, 08:23 PM   #13
CmichRider
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgrande View Post
Well if your out riding already you should be properly geared...

All the suggestion were pertaining to taking the class and the (mostly) controlled environment it is held in.
I haven't ridden yet .

I only just got my permit a couple weeks ago, and our Michigan winter isn't over yet..snow and ice just melted halfway over the last couple days. Supposed to snow again soon tho.

I just like to be prepared, getting a little over zealous I suppose. Hah.

Old April 1st, 2011, 08:27 PM   #14
kkim

if you're going to be doing any riding before the MSF, gear up fully. That will be the time with the greatest potential when you'll need the full protection of safety gear. You never mentioned in your OP that you were planning to ride before the MSF.

Old April 2nd, 2011, 09:48 AM   #15
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmichRider View Post
Thanks for the replies.

I may just hold off on buying til after the MSF, I can always borrow a helmet to use.

This is the requirements for the class.

1. Driver’s license, if 15 years of age - permit & waiver form (on website)
2. D.O.T. approved helmet
3. Long pants only - no shorts (jeans are suggested)
4. Boots - no high heels or tennis shoes (ankles must be covered)
5. Eye protection - goggles or face shield
6. Gloves - sturdy and full fingered
Maybe it depends on the state/instructor, be we had to wear long sleeves (sweatshirt). Open face helmets were provided, you had to wear "safety" glasses (most wore sunglasses) if you wore the provided helmets, or wore your own full face with the shield up.