ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 17th, 2011, 01:48 AM   #1
Tony B
ninjette.org member

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): GPX250 + many others!

'86/'87 differences

Hi all, I'm in the process of rebuilding my '89 to the earlier look of the original models. As far as I know, they were never imported into the UK, but I have managed to find some parts already, from a breakers yard that brought a few bikes in 15 or so years ago.
I have the tank, both seat halves, rear wheel, and just awaiting delivery of the knee grips. Now I need the tank cover/fairing, screen, and all the rear plastics, as well as the number plate section, and I believe the radiator mount is different too.
Can anyone tell me if the actual frame differs in any way ?

And I'd love to be in contact with any other UK based pre-gen owners. Especially if you have an '86/'87 model !

Cheers, Tony.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2011, 02:47 AM   #2
fjyang
ninjette.org member

Name: Frank

Motorcycle(s): 87 Ninja 250, 90 Ninja ZX750R, GPZ 900r, 02 Moto Guzzi LeMans, 95 Triumph Speed Triple

Tony, Not sure if you can just swap body works between the 86-87 and later models. The gas tank, panels, farings and wheels are unique the 87-87 250's. Instrumentations is different also. 86-87 have 35mm fork diameter. the 88-07 have 36mm fork tubes. 86-87 got 32mm carbs which is good for top end but later model switch to 30mm carb for more mid-range.

The 86-87 was never imported to England so you might have problems getting spares.
fjyang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2011, 03:09 AM   #3
Tony B
ninjette.org member

Hi, thanks for the reply. I'm not too bothered about the fork tube difference, and I know that the tank is different, as I've sourced one, along with the seat and knee pads.
What I'm keen to know is whether the rear bodywork will fit straight on to the frame, ie, is the frame the same ?

The guy I got the bits from, imported several a few years ago, and the prices are good compared to what's in the States, (probably because they are so rare here, there is no market).
However, I will probably have to get the main fairing sections from the States unless I get VERY lucky !

Old May 18th, 2011, 05:24 AM   #4
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I read that the passenger peg location was different so that is at least one difference between the frames.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2011, 05:34 AM   #5
Tony B
ninjette.org member

Hi, yes the pegs are different, front too going by the pictures. I hope they are mounted on the frame the same though.

Old May 18th, 2011, 02:30 PM   #6
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
Hi, yes the pegs are different, front too going by the pictures. I hope they are mounted on the frame the same though.
Well, someone said that they installed a current-gen sprocket cover on an 86/87 even though it looks very different and that he thought the clutch cover would work too, so looking very different may not mean much when it comes to this bike.

Old May 18th, 2011, 10:08 PM   #7
fjyang
ninjette.org member

Name: Frank

Motorcycle(s): 87 Ninja 250, 90 Ninja ZX750R, GPZ 900r, 02 Moto Guzzi LeMans, 95 Triumph Speed Triple

This is what happen when you don't cover your bike during a house remodel. But the picture is obvious, clutch cover and sidestand from 09 250. It bolt right on.

My take is that there are more similarity on engine then body parts. The early version is the most compact of all 250's and also lightest weight, as the later version try to make the 250 bigger then what it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ninja 250 Dust.jpg (174.7 KB, 10 views)
fjyang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2011, 11:02 PM   #8
Tony B
ninjette.org member

Hah, that's a nice bike, hope you managed to get all the dust off!
Did you ever take pictures of the frame when you were rebuilding it ? My main concern is the under seat area, though until I get hold of the rear plastics I wont know for sure. There was a good article somewhere on the 250 ninja site that mentioned the engine side covers, though I don't think I will worry about changing those, it's just the body cosmetics that I'm aiming to do.
I'll post some pictures soon

Old May 19th, 2011, 02:15 AM   #9
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjyang View Post
This is what happen when you don't cover your bike during a house remodel. But the picture is obvious, clutch cover and sidestand from 09 250. It bolt right on.

My take is that there are more similarity on engine then body parts. The early version is the most compact of all 250's and also lightest weight, as the later version try to make the 250 bigger then what it is.
Very cool. Anyway, I see that the passenger pegs attach to the same plate as the rear-set. Do you think it's possible to forgo the passenger pegs and install 1988-2007 or 2008+ rear-sets?

Oh, and I don't think I've seen pics of your exhaust yet!

Old May 19th, 2011, 10:24 PM   #10
ajmueller
ninjette.org member

Name: Adam

Motorcycle(s): EX250-E2

pictures

Here is what it looks like under the rear seat. The seat locking mechanism is completely different as is the brake light cluster (or lack of one if you will). The rear side panels have a mount point in this area as well. The forward most holes are where posts in the front seat fit and then gets locked in place by the rear seat.

This is a side view. I've marked the mount points (there is one further forward that I didn't catch) with red being alignment posts and blue being screw points. Watch those screw mounts on the gas tank as a long bolt can puncture the tank!

I believe the 1988+ model pegs will work minus the passenger pegs. I don't think the mounting bracket of the E series will bolt onto later models anyway. The exhaust cans also hang off of this plate (back near the rear pegs). If I remember correctly, the rear brake master cylinder mounts to the inside of this bracket as well.

There shouldn't be any need to change the engine side covers.

As for the front (sorry, no pics as the fairings are more difficult to remove), I know the mounting bracket itself is different. As has been mentioned, the instrument cluster is different as is the windshield. Both halves of the fairing connect in the center with a gas cap cover over the gas tank and another connecting piece under the headlight. It can be difficult to find a full set of plastics...

Good luck and let us know how this goes.
ajmueller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2011, 03:54 PM   #11
Tony B
ninjette.org member

Hey, thanks for taking the trouble Adam, perhaps I made a bad judgement call in going down this route ...
Still, at least the parts I bought so far weren't expensive, well, that's what I told the wife ..

I have just seen an '86/'87 model in one of the UK mags, for sale, the guy wants £2,000 for it !!!! Don't think he'll get any luck, but I might ring him for a chat.
I picked up another '89 tonight, cost me £280 including a lot of spare parts. It's a tatty runner, shouldn't take too much to get on the road, I gave it a quick spin down our road tonight after getting her home, first time I've ridden a Ninjette, can't wait to get her road legal ....