ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old June 14th, 2011, 04:05 PM   #1
Squalo
ninjette.org member

Name: Canada

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250

Boots make my Head Hurt

When I first started looking at riding boots, I wanted something with good protection, but at the same time really comfy on and off the bike.

I started looking at 3/4 boots. I was looking at SMX2, but they were on back order, and thats when I found the Dainese Scrapa Dyno.

But again, these need to be brought in from Italy, so 2-6 weeks I am told.

Now I am back to square zero cause I want something for riding now,

I am thinking after reading lots of posts on here to get a full boot. My biggest problem I am finding is that most full boots is they really don't seem to actually add anymore ankle roll protection until you get into a full on racing boot, which I don't really want to rock to the corner store. So are the only advantages to a full riding boot that it adds abrasion and calf protection and is a lot less likely to get pulled off your foot (not that that's a bad thing)? But is it that much over a good 3/4?

Kinda looking at A* smx5 ; A* smx r ; sidi cobra ; technic chicane (these dont have great durability reviews however) in either the boot or 3/4.

Thoughts? Am I wrong about the ankle roll protection, cause lots look pretty floppy. Thanks.
Squalo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2011, 04:10 PM   #2
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

That's why I have the Sidi Vortice Air - just try them on and you will notice the difference. Putting them on and taking them off will take some time, so skipping them does happen - and they only work when you wear them, so less protection might be a decent trade off when all things are considered.
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2011, 04:22 PM   #3
phr3ek
meow?

Name: kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 636

almost all of the full boots you mentioned dont provide ankle roll protection
what they have is just an ankle protection, cushioning and sliders

try on:
sidi vertigo/st/vortice
any a* boot with the inner bootie system
pumas
tcx

try to roll your ankle
then compare them to 3/4 boots
you will notice the difference

as for the difference between full and 3/4, it is choice
main difference is if you want ankle roll protection, and shin/calf protection

if you do want ankle roll protection, look for a boot that has a shank that runs down both sides of the boot
phr3ek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2011, 08:33 PM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squalo View Post
Boots make my Head Hurt
You're clearly wearing them on the wrong part of your anatomy.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2011, 08:53 PM   #5
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

i heard full are good for the fact if your sliding your boots will have less chance of coming off. Moldbuster should chime in soon :S

Old June 15th, 2011, 09:39 AM   #6
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

I have the SIDI ST Airs and love them, extremely comfortable and dont get hot. The have all ankle roll protection too. Do yourself a favor and spend a little more on boots. Its much cheaper and less painful then a shattered ankle

Old June 15th, 2011, 10:33 AM   #7
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
technic chicane (these dont have great durability reviews however)
I've been thinking about these (actually the Sedici boot that is identical to it, made in same factory), and would love reference to poor durability complaints. That might push me in another direction.

Thanks.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2011, 10:56 AM   #8
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

I heard that the poor durability complaints was from the older chicanes
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2011, 11:11 AM   #9
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Sidi B-2 might be an option of you can find 'em. They've got solid ankle/achilles tendon protection and are pretty easy for on/off, with some velcro panels and a zipper.

Old June 15th, 2011, 11:23 AM   #10
TXJ
Cranky Old Fart

Name: TXJ

Motorcycle(s): 08 DRZ400SM

The lowest boot I have is TCX X-Cube. I recently bought them as a secondary riding boot for cold or rainy days, but I'm wearing them all the time now. They're extremely comfortable, provide some frontal shin coverage have a very ridged ankle cockpit preventing roll more than my sidi boots. The side ankle protection is very substantial (yet not uncomfortable) for the price point. Also despite being euro sized, they're very "american" true to size. They aren't very aggressively styled and look fairly "normal" under pants.

I usually wear a pair of sidi fusion air. They feel less rigid in the side ankle then the TCX boots mentioned above. In my experience non track, touring style full sized boots are more towards side calf and shin abrasion/impact protection. Most pants will provide fairly good shin coverage with the CE armor. My sidi boots pushes against the CE armor in my overpants. It only happens sometimes when shifting. There is about 2-3 inches of gap between my knee armor and the tcx boot.

The TCX boot is the lowest cut I go. I don't feel comfortable in tennis style riding shoes from a protection standpoint. They should at least fully cover your achilles tendon, base of your shin to the base of your calf. As far as comfort goes, I'm finding the TCX more comfortable as I wear them longer. My sidi boots are also very comfortable on and off the bike. Most full sized touring boots I've had don't have the rigid ankle of the TCX boots. That's not saying its better. Just saying. You probably won't find boots that do not allow your ankle to exceed it's natural range of motion unless you get a race/aggressive styled boot with sliders on it.
TXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2011, 11:24 AM   #11
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

I had a pair of A* SMX-1 riding shoes for a year and then bought a TCX Synergy boot. The boot is better in all aspects. Comfort and protection is much better than a riding shoe so I'm glad you're leaning towards a boot level protection. If you dont like the crazy sporty looks, try a touring boot. I find it has a good balance with being normal looking while providing decent protection for the street along with fairly good comfort. One thing to keep in mind is that boots tend to run warmer especially when the weather heats up.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2011, 01:33 PM   #12
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

I still ride in my MX boots. Even at the track. Old habbits die hard. I perfer the protection of a full MX boot. You could lay the lil ninja on my foot/ankle and becuase of the design of MX boots. You wont feel a thing. The biggest problem with MX boots is they take FOREVER to break-in and be comfortable.

Otherwise SIDI is the way to go.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2011, 03:25 PM   #13
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I have a hard time finding a full boot that fits my E to EE wide feet along with a thicker sole to help with my shorter inseam.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2011, 03:40 PM   #14
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom King View Post
I have a hard time finding a full boot that fits my E to EE wide feet along with a thicker sole to help with my shorter inseam.
Welcome to my world. Might wana look into MX boots.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2011, 03:41 PM   #15
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009 and ZX-12R 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
You're clearly wearing them on the wrong part of your anatomy.
I thought someone (Alex or kkim) might beat me to this comment!
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2011, 04:08 PM   #16
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

I have the a* smx-r and they will help a bit to keep your ankles from rolling. They have a plastic piece that runs the length of the boot that gives it some flex but it also resists to much flex. The cobras also did but not as good as the smx-r. Surprisingly my joe rocket superstreet boots also help stabilize your ankles a bit as well. I walk quite a bit with the smx-r. They are decently comfortable and if you do walk around a lot you definitely should replace the sole (that is what I did).

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2011, 05:27 PM   #17
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

I recommend the Dainese Torque boots. Takes like 2 seconds to get into and out of too!
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2011, 07:11 PM   #18
Squalo
ninjette.org member

Thanks for all the comments guys...Went to my local moto shop and tried on some A* smx5 boots, which with my small feet were the only ones in my size. When I asked about other boots, she cut me a deal for 225! I couldnt really refuse.

Gonna hang on to these for now while I take a look at a few of your guys suggestions online, can always exchange. They dont have crazy protection, but I think they are gonna be pretty comfy for longer rides.

Old June 15th, 2011, 07:49 PM   #19
Moldbuster
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Limited Ed

I wear Sidi ST's which are ridiculously good. BUT... I also have a set of SMX-5s as back ups. While thay are not as good as a boot with heel roll protection, they are VASTLY superior to the shoes inititially pictured. Sorry...those aren't boots and they are NOT acceptable. The SMX-5s are also supremely comfy and they are good if you need to do a lot of walking at the destination.

Old June 16th, 2011, 05:42 AM   #20
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

For the OP, I have those shoes in the picture. Personally I love them and think they're great. Try ordering them from www.revzilla.com shippings only takes a week in the US, and Im sure it'll be the same Canada wise (hopefully). Anyways, they're good shoes and for the 3/4 they are, they're the best 3/4 you can get to be honest. Thats what a guy at cycle gear told me, and looking around I have to agree with him. But, ankle protection isnt as great as I'd like. I wish they put a strap on the back that you can tighten and have hold the sides in more for extra ankle support. I wont lie about that. But thats the only think I can complain about with these boots. That would also make me feel a little safer keeping to boots on. lol. But if you want ultimate safety full boots are the way to go. But if you really cant do that for what ever reason like myself, the dianese are worth the wait.
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2011, 06:26 AM   #21
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): EX250J

I like Sidi boots. I tried the Vertigos, and I would have kept them if I could have gotten them in the "air" version. I snagged some Sidi ST Air boots for $30 more than the Vertigos.

I like the ST Air because it feels like a leather ski boot with hard plastic in all the right palces. I know my ankle isn't going to be doing anything it shouldn't be.

If you want a nice balance between comfort off the bike and protection, I say to go with the Vertigos. Honestly, I don't mind walking in my ST Airs, but I'm used to undoing the straps on ski boots and walking around in them. On top of that, I have the peace of mind that, like all Sidi models, the soles can be replaced without replacing the boots. Solid investment if you ask me.
Liber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2011, 07:00 PM   #22
Moldbuster
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.E View Post
For the OP, I have those shoes in the picture. Personally I love them and think they're great. Try ordering them from www.revzilla.com shippings only takes a week in the US, and Im sure it'll be the same Canada wise (hopefully). Anyways, they're good shoes and for the 3/4 they are, they're the best 3/4 you can get to be honest. Thats what a guy at cycle gear told me, and looking around I have to agree with him. But, ankle protection isnt as great as I'd like. I wish they put a strap on the back that you can tighten and have hold the sides in more for extra ankle support. I wont lie about that. But thats the only think I can complain about with these boots. That would also make me feel a little safer keeping to boots on. lol. But if you want ultimate safety full boots are the way to go. But if you really cant do that for what ever reason like myself, the dianese are worth the wait.

Would you like to know the consequences for NOT having full length proper boots on? I knew you would...

Some have heard this story...
A buddy of mine in Seattle went riding one Saturday. He normally wears full gear...been riding 25 years. He is a good rider, a safe rider. Today, it is just a quick trip to visit a friend then back home. On goes the touring jacket, pants. He'll only be on surface streets. He puts on his 3/4 length boots, they'll be fine...hops on his BMW, gets to the friends house, hangs out for a while and leaves. It is dark out.

There are a lot of flashing lights. He is on the ground... a police officer looking down at him. He doesn't remember what happened or how he got there...things don't seem right. He sits up and looks around. His bike is on its side, damaged, obviously he crashed but has no recollection of it. He thinks he can ride it home. The officer insists he stay down...he can't understand why so he insists on standing up...

A doctor is looking at him and telling him he is in the ER...the doctor needs to do surgery right now. He was in a motprcycle crash and his injuries are serious. There is a good chance he will lose his foot. It was damaged so severely when the bike apparently clipped a curb at 35 MPH that the orthopedic surgeon doesn't think it is salvageable. His foot was caught and literally ripped apart at the ankle. It is shattered. He begs the surgeon to do eveything he can to try to save his foot. The surgeon says he will do his best.

Three months later he is out of the hospital. The crash was estimated at 35 mph, they think he clipped a curb. He still has no recollection of what exactly happened. There have been numerous surgeries. Muscles from his abdomen have been use to replace the muscles that were destroyed. He has had skin grafts to replace the skin that died on his foot after gangrene set in. They were able to reconstruct his foot but the skin grafts aren't going so well. They have to redo them.

He gets the bills. It is a thick envelope. Insurance covers a lot of it...but not all. He owes 1/2 a million dollars. The insurance hit the cap. He can't work. He doesn't have that kind of money. He can barely hobble around. Physical therapy ends.

A uear has passed. He lost his house and declared bankruptcy. His car is gone...turned in...can't afford the payments anymore and can't rpdrive antpyways. He goes from living in a 3 level home overlooking the water to living in a tiny 2 bedroom apartment with a roomie to make ends meet. His income comes from disability...$800 a month. He has to apply for medicade. Eating out is a thing of the past. He has to take the bus everywhere. He still has more surgeries to go...the skin grafts didn't last...he has exposed muscle on his foot. There is still a chance he may lose it. It has been a year.

Thru all this he has kept a sense of humor and humility. He is still a good friend. He misses riding though. He will never ride again.

So...you still want to wear anything but a full length boot with proper ankle protection? I bought my Sidi STs right after this.

Old June 16th, 2011, 07:19 PM   #23
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldbuster View Post
So...you still want to wear anything but a full length boot with proper ankle protection?
Yep. I wear sneakers. Every single time I have tried to ride with boots on I have gone down. They interfere with my control of the bike. Sometimes its better to avoid a crash rather than to concentrate on surviving one.

The same is true about helmets. I do wear a full modular helmet, but there is absolutely no question that it interferes with my visibility. I can certainly sympathize with guys that don't wear them for that reason.
n4mwd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2011, 07:42 PM   #24
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

True, but at the same time -- perhaps you haven't found the right boot or made some minor adjustments. Or maybe that's just how it is -- as I'm sure you've tried several.
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2011, 08:11 PM   #25
kaiserz

Hey, boss what you think about the PUMA 1000 Motorcycle Boots. http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=3717 will it have the "Moldbuster seal of approval"? are there much better alternatives?(150 - 250 price point) I was looking into the A* smx5 but they don't really have that much ankle protection right? I might get the Cortech Latigo Air RR Boots. but I don't know yet.

Old June 16th, 2011, 09:15 PM   #26
Moldbuster
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
Yep. I wear sneakers. Every single time I have tried to ride with boots on I have gone down. They interfere with my control of the bike. Sometimes its better to avoid a crash rather than to concentrate on surviving one.

The same is true about helmets. I do wear a full modular helmet, but there is absolutely no question that it interferes with my visibility. I can certainly sympathize with guys that don't wear them for that reason.
You need to try different boots then. Hundreds of thousands of riders ride and race with boots every day. There is some getting used to a slightly different feel, but in no way should they interfere with your ability to control the bike.

As with learning to ride a bike, there is a learning curve to gear, including helmets. This is why you turn your head...a lot. Also, higher end full face helmets have a much wider opening without compromising structural integrity or protection. Try a Shoei RF1100.

Yes, it is unquestionably better to avoid a crash. However, crashes happen that are beyond your control...or within your control but beyond your capabilities to avoid. When that happens, it is at that point where the qualities of protective gear come into full play. You may never crash. You may never have a foot injury. But, if the worst comes to pass...you may regret it for the rest of your life when the outcome could have been easily prevented.

Old June 16th, 2011, 09:22 PM   #27
Moldbuster
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserz View Post
Hey, boss what you think about the PUMA 1000 Motorcycle Boots. http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=3717 will it have the "Moldbuster seal of approval"? are there much better alternatives?(150 - 250 price point) I was looking into the A* smx5 but they don't really have that much ankle protection right? I might get the Cortech Latigo Air RR Boots. but I don't know yet.

The Puma is DEFINITELY they are an impressive design at a good price. seal of approval is given.

SMX-5 has some degree of ankle protection. I actually don't object to them. For not much more you can get the the Pumas, but A*s makes a decent full boot and I've read good crash reports on them. They have a heel cup and are fairly stiff in the ankle area. They are better than shoes or 3/4 length "boot".

Old June 17th, 2011, 04:43 AM   #28
n4mwd

When I signed up for the MSF course, they said that boots were mandatory. So I looked into the closet and found an old pair of boots that looked OK. While I was practicing turns, I lost my balance.

Normally it would just be a simple matter of putting one's foot down, but unknown to me, the sole had separated from the rest of the boot everywhere except at the toe. So when I took my foot off the peg and tried to put my foot down, the flopping heel got caught on the peg and down I went.

It doesn't sound like much, but going down is a very traumatic experience. Something to be avoided at all costs.

So if I ever wear boots on a bike again, it will have to be heelless with flexible ankles so I can work the controls. I've looked at several bike boots and all the ones I saw had heels.

When it comes to gear, no matter what you wear, there is always somebody that will say that its no good and this other, usually more expensive, thing is what you need if you want to live.

I also have a 3/4 helmet with face shield. Its the first helmet I bought, but I had to quit wearing it because its like a parachute on the Ninja. Its probably OK for cruisers. That's why I use the modular now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Boot.jpg (24.1 KB, 2 views)

Old June 17th, 2011, 06:58 AM   #29
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

D - that wasn't a boots vs. sneakers discussion, it sure looks like you were wearing old non-motorcycle boots that were falling apart before you even got on the bike, right? Nobody can force anyone to do to choose gear they don't want to, we all continue to choose whatever is best for each of us. But foot and ankle injuries are a huge problem for motorcyclists, speaking as someone who would almost certainly be severely disabled if I weren't wearing highly protective boots during an off a few years ago. It still took 18 months of PT.

Choosing sneakers as the safer way to go because work boots fell apart and caused you to tip over a few years ago isn't what that experience should be best used for. I'd echo Mold's thoughts that continuing to check out foot and ankle protection that you can become comfortable with is a good idea. Being 100% attentive and as careful as possible is still not an iron-clad guarantee that good gear won't become necessary at some point when you're on a bike.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2011, 10:28 AM   #30
n4mwd

The pumas that were posted above looked like they might be good. I can't tell for sure in the photo, but it looked like there might be some sort of ankle flexing mechanism. They still had heels though.

The boots that failed on me were casual wear boots and not motorcycle boots. I had to have something for MSF class so that is why I used those.

I looked at some motorcycle boots in the bike store. They pretty much just looked like cowboy boots with a zipper. And they had heels and they were stiff as a board. The ones that look like good ones are also very expensive.

Old June 17th, 2011, 09:03 PM   #31
kaiserz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldbuster View Post
The Puma is DEFINITELY they are an impressive design at a good price. seal of approval is given.

SMX-5 has some degree of ankle protection. I actually don't object to them. For not much more you can get the the Pumas, but A*s makes a decent full boot and I've read good crash reports on them. They have a heel cup and are fairly stiff in the ankle area. They are better than shoes or 3/4 length "boot".
Then I guess Ima get me some pumas next paycheck (: thanks Mr. mold

(I want all my gear to have the "Safety Tzar Seal of Approval " (; )

Old June 17th, 2011, 09:04 PM   #32
Squalo
ninjette.org member

UPDATE...still looking around at other options (not sure if I'm sold on the smx5)

Those of you with the Sidi ST, how are they on and off the bike. Are they pretty flexy in the ankle, as far as riding/walking...Just wondering as they didn't have them in my size and want to make sure I can get into a comfortable riding positions and can wear for long rides.

I tried on my size, a 41 in a Vertigo and I could slide my foot a very small amount forward/backwards, was a bit loose in the front ankle area, and I could lift my heel off the bottom a small amount when pushing my toe on the ground...Is that acceptable, they literally felt just a touch big, not super snug against my foot i guess, but maybe that's ok? They didnt have a 40 to try on, worried one size smaller my be too small. Maybe time for thicker socks, haha

Thanks.

Also Kaiserz.....

I checked out the pumas, be prepared that to me they looked VERY bulky and were a heavy compared to other boots....I actually lost interest in them when i saw them in person. They do however look to have a good range of motion with great protection.

Old June 17th, 2011, 09:21 PM   #33
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
UPDATE...still looking around at other options (not sure if I'm sold on the smx5)

Those of you with the Sidi ST, how are they on and off the bike. Are they pretty flexy in the ankle, as far as riding/walking...Just wondering as they didn't have them in my size and want to make sure I can get into a comfortable riding positions and can wear for long rides.

I tried on my size, a 41 in a Vertigo and I could slide my foot a very small amount forward/backwards, was a bit loose in the front ankle area, and I could lift my heel off the bottom a small amount when pushing my toe on the ground...Is that acceptable, they literally felt just a touch big, not super snug against my foot i guess, but maybe that's ok? They didnt have a 40 to try on, worried one size smaller my be too small. Maybe time for thicker socks, haha

Thanks.

Also Kaiserz.....

I checked out the pumas, be prepared that to me they looked VERY bulky and were a heavy compared to other boots....I actually lost interest in them when i saw them in person. They do however look to have a good range of motion with great protection.
Not sure how it converts to metric(i'm in bed and too lazy to ask google ), but a 9.5 in vertigo was a little loose on my calf. A 9.5 in ST can be tightened to cut off circulation in my foot, or loosened to allow my heel slip up and down, with all fittings in between.

Like I said, they aren't comfortable off the bike, but they aren't really uncomfortable either. The boot is designed to allow your ankle to pivot up and down, but refuses any motion left or right. If you are off the bike you can just undo the straps to return almost all of your ankle's range of motion. That's what I do when I walk into the bar.

IMHO, Vertigos are more comfortable off the bike, but the leap in protection from Vertigo to ST completely outweighs the minor loss of comfort.

watch the reviews on the vertigo, ST, and Vortice on revzilla. They are all good reviews.

Old June 27th, 2011, 10:06 PM   #34
Squalo
ninjette.org member

Well I took the SMX5s back yesterday and just ordered some SIDI ST air online. Thanks for the input, cant wait to rip around in these bad boys, hope that they fit good!

Cheers!

Old June 27th, 2011, 11:32 PM   #35
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Youll love them!! I know I do!

Old July 19th, 2011, 08:50 PM   #36
Squalo
ninjette.org member

UPDATE: Received my ST Airs in the mail the other day and all i can say is WOOT!!!

They are awesome, SOOO light, super easy to get on/off, and crazy articulation. I couldn't believe how easy they were to walk in (not that I would want to for a long time). Thanks everyone for guiding me in the right direction.

Only had time for a couple rides, first thing I noticed is I feel a lot more vibration compared to the hiking boots I was wearing, but I'll get used to that. The other thing I need to get used to is not feeling the sifter as much through the boot, but I think I got my foot position on the pegs down!

Only question I have is one of the pivots on the boots is squealing like crazy when I walk, anyone try lubricating it with something?

Cheers!

Old July 19th, 2011, 08:56 PM   #37
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Youll get used to it I promise!

And yeah the squeaking KILLS me. I havent used any lube on it because I want to find something that wont be bad for the leather

Old July 20th, 2011, 05:06 AM   #38
Liber
ninjette.org sage

the squeeking is part of the package. If someone finds a pair that doesn't squeak then they are probably defective.

Old July 20th, 2011, 07:08 AM   #39
highpsiguy
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 1981 Honda Cx500 Custom, 2002 Ninja 250

I love my Sidi's. Mine are full length boots. They have a zipper down inside and a flexible waterproof membrane liner. I just looked inside boot for a model number or such-nothing, thew the box away years ago- so I am unsure of the model. Fact is they WERE expensive. I think I paid about $300 dollars plus years ago... maybe 10 years ago. They still wear great, look good as well. I think a good pair of boots may be as good an investment as a helmet- and they last longer too. Mine took months to break in but well worth the time. I have no desire to replace them. I will soon have to put new bottoms on them as I tend to walk off tread on inside of foot. I have a good friend who is a cobbler and says he can handle the job.

Just went and looked on Motorcycle Superstore website to find my model after writing above paragraph. Of course, nothing there even looks close. I was surprised to find that it looked like most of the treads were glued on now instead of stitched...at least my tread can be replaced. I don't see how many of the new ones can be.

Old July 20th, 2011, 07:26 AM   #40
YORCHI
n00b

Name: Jorge

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 Ninja 250

I just received the A* Roam Waterproof Boots yesterday. They are my first set of boots and I feel pretty comfortable with them on. The guy at the store told me to practice with regular shoes on first so I can get a better feel for the pegs and everything because it's a bit more difficult with boots on.

The boots themselves feel pretty sturdy and I think they'll help in keeping my ankle secured in a fall but I don't think they have any dedicated ankle roll protection. Let's see how they feel after they've been broken in and used for a while
YORCHI is offline   Reply With Quote