ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 10th, 2010, 09:59 PM   #1
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): magHitVE

Smoking hell!

Well winter is pretty much done here, we have had one of the best winters I have ever seen. No major snowstorm (we are usually bombarded with a few feet, several times a year), and snow isn't melted till May. This year we are a few months ahead!

That said, I stored the ninja last November, winterized it and all. Added a bit of oil to the gas tank to prevent corrosion.. drained the carbs, and whatever you can think of... I did it.

So, I start the bike after a few turns and It starts, no problem at all. But when I rev over 7-8k RPM, the thing smokes like there was no tomorrow, a thick line of smoke just come out the bike's exhaust like a jet in the sky (not that bad really.. )

I'm honestly not too concerned about this, because I'm pretty sure it's the left over oil in the tank, burning up. I would still like someones feedback as reassurance. The bike is running well and was running well when stored.

Thanks, Jon
jonthechron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2010, 10:46 PM   #2
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

Oil smokes like crazy when burned.

I put too much oil on my CRX many years ago. Can never have too much right? WRONG! lol The 580 never saw such a cloud of smoke before me.
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2010, 11:04 PM   #3
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

Thanks, the percentage of oil was approximately 5%-7%. I guess it'll stop smoking after the tank drains.

Old March 10th, 2010, 11:08 PM   #4
Roostre
ninjette.org member

Name: Corey

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250,KTM 690 Enduro R, KTM300XC, XB12X Buell, 1966 Hummer 175

The heavier oil may have settled in your carb bowls.

Sea foam or even baby oil might be a better alternative???
Roostre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2010, 11:11 PM   #5
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

I've been scared of putting things in my gas tanks since my cousin put sand in my tri-zinger when we were kids.
Ruined my summer.
Lucky I don't have to winterize.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tri-zingers.jpg (152.7 KB, 1 views)
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2010, 12:13 AM   #6
kkim

drain the remaining gas and refill w/ fresh gas. you could end up w/ gummed up rings if you burn the whole tank of gas.

why did you add oil to the gas anyway?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2010, 05:16 AM   #7
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

Hey kkim, I didn't actually add oil to the gas. I added some oil to the empty tank when winterizing it, then I drained the oil from the tank before putting it back on the bike, but some oil remained in it, then I added gas and started it. I'm gonna drain it after school today, I don't want anything gumming up on me.

Old March 11th, 2010, 06:02 AM   #8
Rayme
ninjette.org guru

Name: Remy

Motorcycle(s): '04 sv650s

That would leave quite a bit of an oil layer on your gas tank's inside.. no wonder you're burning oil ! Theres not much you can do except draining your tank, use that gas mixed with oil for your lawn mower or something and putting in fresh gas, and maybe a bit of seafoam just to clean it a bit, though I would think gas alone would clean that remaining oil...Your tank wouldn't have rusted if you filled it with gas all the way to the top..after all..gas IS oil.. You might risk gunking up the cats, I would drain your gas tank at least once and put in fresh gas again.

Old March 11th, 2010, 07:53 AM   #9
divingtigger
Pedal Power

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja EX250R

We are in the same boat, it is raining here this morning, but knowing manitoba, we are still going to get a foot of snow in april or may.....I really hope not. The ninjette is still sleeping though, might start thinking of putting her back together by the end of the month.

I agree with flushing the tank, oil and gas is good for small engines just not ours. Full tank of gas and seafoam is a better idea for next year. Didn't the oil eventually run off the sides of the tank and pool in the bottom?? That's what I would have expected it to do

Old March 11th, 2010, 09:10 AM   #10
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

Seafoam is not a fuel stabilizer. You need to get Stabil.
You put Stabil into a full tank (tank should be full to prevent water condensation over the cold winter) and go for a short ride or run the engine for 5 min to distribute it throughout the fuel system. There is no reason to drain carbs with Stabil in the fuel, and then seals and rubbers etc won't dry out.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2010, 10:12 AM   #11
Roostre
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250,KTM 690 Enduro R, KTM300XC, XB12X Buell, 1966 Hummer 175

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd View Post
You put Stabil into a full tank (tank should be full to prevent water condensation over the cold winter) and go for a short ride or run the engine for 5 min to distribute it throughout the fuel system. There is no reason to drain carbs with Stabil in the fuel, and then seals and rubbers etc won't dry out.

From here:
http://www.seafoamsales.com/motor-treatment.html

"As a fuel system additive, Sea Foam will clean fuel injectors, clean carbon, gum and varnish deposits, add lubricity to fuel, stabilize fuel for 2 years and control moisture."

I was told it was originally used to cure problems that fishing fleets were having with equipment that was only used seasonally...

Old March 11th, 2010, 11:07 AM   #12
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd View Post
People have had problems with the bikes not starting after winterization when using Stabil.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2010, 11:17 AM   #13
Roostre
ninjette.org member

My experience has been that the Stabil tends to eat the rubber parts such as diaphragms...so I switched to Sea foam and have had zero issues since... ????

Old March 11th, 2010, 11:22 AM   #14
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

OK. just my opinion that stabil worked better, was designed/marketed as that. And I have heard the same comments regarding the two on different forums also. I've have no problems with it. So, whatever works for you, works.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2010, 04:23 PM   #15
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Name: aj

Motorcycle(s): Red 09 Ninja 250r aka Sheila (RIP), Red '10 Ninja 250r aka Sasha (Sold), White '13 Ninja 300 (To be Purchased)

so... for the OP: I would def drain the tank. I've never heard of anyone putting oil in their tank? but this is all new to me so idk.

second note? can anyone second that seafoam is a stabilizer? because if so im gona start using that considering it does so many other things as well.

Old March 11th, 2010, 06:49 PM   #16
Roostre
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNinja52 View Post
so... for the OP: I would def drain the tank. I've never heard of anyone putting oil in their tank? but this is all new to me so idk.

second note? can anyone second that seafoam is a stabilizer? because if so im gona start using that considering it does so many other things as well.
Here is a snippet of history about it:

"Seafoam was developed originally for the marine market, hence the name. Fred Fandrei, the founder of Seafoam, showed Evinrude Outboard Motors how to solve their stale fuel, varnish and carbon problems with its use. Because the product worked so well, and after many years of experimentation, Seafoam became a great problem solver in the automotive after market as well. Seafoam is a 100% petroleum product and can be used in all engines including diesels."

The big question is " Has the formula changed since it's introduction?". Seems like there are many products that are great out of the gate. Then a big corporation buys the name and changes the formula to "maximize" profit, which always degrades the product. Who knows?? Like it is said above; whatever works!

Old March 12th, 2010, 10:25 PM   #17
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Name: aj

Motorcycle(s): Red 09 Ninja 250r aka Sheila (RIP), Red '10 Ninja 250r aka Sasha (Sold), White '13 Ninja 300 (To be Purchased)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostre View Post
Here is a snippet of history about it:

"Seafoam was developed originally for the marine market, hence the name. Fred Fandrei, the founder of Seafoam, showed Evinrude Outboard Motors how to solve their stale fuel, varnish and carbon problems with its use. Because the product worked so well, and after many years of experimentation, Seafoam became a great problem solver in the automotive after market as well. Seafoam is a 100% petroleum product and can be used in all engines including diesels."

The big question is " Has the formula changed since it's introduction?". Seems like there are many products that are great out of the gate. Then a big corporation buys the name and changes the formula to "maximize" profit, which always degrades the product. Who knows?? Like it is said above; whatever works!
cool cool, ive heard magical things about seafoam, so i think im gona give it a try next winter, mayb ill try running it through the gas tank this month just for the sake of cleanliness

Old March 19th, 2010, 03:46 PM   #18
BlueRaven
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

If you read the bottle of Seafoam it indicates that it has many uses including stabilizing fuel.