ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old November 20th, 2010, 02:36 PM   #1
eddiekay
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

Smoking pipe

Just got an excellent deal on an '05 FZ6....5000 miles and new tires and so clean I cant believe it. I've had an FZ for a few years and it is a good bike.
But....there's always a but...got it home...let it sit for a few hours and then just started it up for a few minutes and shut it off and i noticed a wisp of smoke coming from one pipe of the aftermarket pipes. It came out for, maybe a minute and then disappeared.
Now...I cant recall ever having seen this before in my stock exhaust FZ.
The bike does everything it's supposed to do otherwise...no oil leaks I can feel or see...it smells a bit but all FZ6's seem to smell when thery run....but, this smoking pipe ?
Any ideas?
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 20th, 2010, 02:38 PM   #2
kkim

what color smoke?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 20th, 2010, 02:44 PM   #3
eddiekay

A very nice kind of grayish white...kinda like my hair....actually, looks more like cigarette smoke.....wowo...think of all the money I can save on cigs

Old November 20th, 2010, 02:54 PM   #4
kkim

usually...
black=rich condition/unburned fuel
blue=oil
white=coolant or water or a lean condition

1. check the coolant in the reservoir for traces of oil. if so, you have a engine head problem. 2. also check the oil for a milky/brownish chocolate shake appearance... usually means coolant leaking into the oil.

if you're good on both counts, I'd say what you're seeing is moisture in the exhaust system due to condensation from humidity in the air. humid there lately?

in any case, ride the bike for a long distance to rule out the PO's kid didn't stick a hose pipe up the exhaust and soak the packing with water (if the exhaust has any packing).

if you rule out my first two checks, ride the bike w/o worries.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 21st, 2010, 11:25 AM   #5
eddiekay

kk....YOU'RE JOKE ABOUT someone shooting water into the pipe....well, I wont ask you how you know but it wasnt far off.
Even after riding it about 75 miles home...there was water left somewhere in the pipes. I know because before i checked the coolant i started it up and the smokin tube, the hot tube was dripping. Enough to fill a shot glass.
Acting exactly like a steam radiator, water would settle at the lowest point and enough of it could take hours to vapor off. I've opened up radiatir lines in houses that havent been used for months and water has poured out. I'm totally guessing now but I can only guess that the pipes never got hot enough long enough to vaporize all the water. Nice.
OK...also picked up and interesting bit on the Fz6 site....
some aftermarket pipes do not evac the exhaust evenly...effected by whether it being a Y or a T joint and exactly how the pipe is connected to the main pipes. I feel like i got off easy here and appreciate your ideas as, even your jokes make sense.
Best
Eddie

Old November 21st, 2010, 01:31 PM   #6
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

If you rev the hell out of it thru the first 3 gears (redline) the water will be forced out of the exhaust. No big deal.
Heres whats left of my FZ6
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fz6 closeup.jpg (99.3 KB, 8 views)
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 21st, 2010, 02:03 PM   #7
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Most exhaust pipes have a small hole in the bottom to allow condensation to drain from the pipe to prevent internal rusting. A little drip is common from time to time especially in cooler weather with hot pipes.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 21st, 2010, 02:31 PM   #8
eddiekay

So. errr. Kev, I can see what's left of the FZ.....but what's left of yer knee pucks : )
Yeah, the only time i got that far over I wound up in a hospital...nice photo

Old November 22nd, 2010, 08:59 AM   #9
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Which reminds me to order new set for next year. The FZ6 can make a good trackbike if you get the front forks reworked for the track. A common FZ6 mod is to swap out the front end for R6 stuff. If you do that, youll change that smooth riding front end (great for the highway TOTAL crap for the track) and gain alot of performance. Clip-ons and rearsets are a good thing if your looking for a sporty ride. (pm me if your interested in rearsets, I know where to get them alot cheaper) Otherwise enjoy the smoothriding, very fast sport touring bike. Your first major service (valve adjustment) isnt for another 20,000 miles.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 22nd, 2010, 10:32 AM   #10
eddiekay

Never was a racer...too much dedication needed to it properly. I dont think we have a track within 100 miles either.Kind of a paradox with the few track guys i know:...they wont ride fast on the street although I guess they know how...the street guys will ride fast on the street but we'd all come in last on the track. Street riders around here, the younger ones are mostly a weird mix of hells angels-ama riders. Gangstas hanging off hyabusas in parking lots....full tuck @ 60mph in traffic standing still. It's all good and thanks for your advice.

Old November 22nd, 2010, 03:04 PM   #11
indr
ninjette.org guru

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

misleading title
indr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 22nd, 2010, 03:16 PM   #12
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 22nd, 2010, 04:55 PM   #13
eddiekay

Smile

Well...not really.
Ya see, knowing that Yamaha has to follow the same rules as all the other mfg's as far as emissions are concerned I was concerned that I may have purchased an illegal bike. I described the situation and some of the other fellows and ladies offered their insight and opinions as to whether the aforementioned emission was in fact against the law or just a harmless emission of water.
So while, I still believe smoking is illegal in soem areas of the US of A....I am persuaded that the biike is not smoking but steaming....which is legal.
OK...It was not my intention to mislead you.