ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > Marketplace > Motorcycle-related

Old August 20th, 2011, 09:13 PM   #41
jdoucet93
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2009 R6

I'm in! I think this might be the most exiting thing i've done to Jenny (my bike) since our first ride together
jdoucet93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2011, 09:46 PM   #42
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

Green one is gone!
I have a blue one left available for Monday shipment.
it can have remote or fixed LED but it has fixed digit.

Anyone from the first five group want this one?
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2011, 11:11 PM   #43
adri99an
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Donger

Motorcycle(s): "Is that a Ninjer 1000?"

I'm ready...you need me to paypal you?
adri99an is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2011, 05:17 AM   #44
ninja250
You are sleeping

Sweet.
I will see you in person since I will need to install for you.
It will give me a chance to do a second install test.
Everything should go smoothly. Just takes a couple hours while I drop your plastics and add/splice some wiring.

Let me know what day I should come by.
What time is the thing today? I'll go seeeee
too early.

Old August 21st, 2011, 06:41 AM   #45
wellcraft
ninjette.org guru

Name: JR

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

I have a few questions.

Is there any problem if I have a koso gauge installed?

There isn't any plastic cover to cover the circuit board since they are going to be exposed and we are going to see all the circuits?

What other colors are left, any more green or red?

What about other add ons or upgrades in the future for this first sets, or what are the future plans for this gauges (more gadgets or features can be added for a more updated unit)?

Thanks in advanced.
wellcraft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2011, 06:49 AM   #46
adri99an

GMR evening ride today. Come early. I got my levers from asia. Lemme know.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old August 21st, 2011, 07:57 AM   #47
ninja250
You are sleeping

Quote:
I have a few questions.

Is there any problem if I have a koso gauge installed?

There isn't any plastic cover to cover the circuit board since they are going to be exposed and we are going to see all the circuits?

What other colors are left, any more green or red?

What about other add ons or upgrades in the future for this first sets, or what are the future plans for this gauges (more gadgets or features can be added for a more updated unit)?

Thanks in advanced.
Wellcraft:
I don't believe there is any issues if you have a Koso gauge installed.
this indicator works completely separate. It is not plug and play, it does require you to wire it to the bike and install a switch bracket. It's about like installing a stereo with the addition of installing and adjusting some switches.

I do not have a case for the circuit. You can mount it by the included velcro or use a screw through the heat sink of the power supply chip. It also gets a bit warm so it is best mounted without a case at this time until I find a way around it (and I may later do so). I'd advise you guys remove the indicator in the rain for this reason. I included a beefy plug so you may do so.

The digits I have are red. The LED that now works as a "shift accepted" and later will be updated to work as an "adjustable shift light" is what I am referring to when I speak of colors. The other colors I currently have on hand are Super Bright White, Super Bright Yellow, Orange, Blue and Amber.

I will be requesting you guys send me back the gauge later to activate the RPM feature but you guys can play with the gear feature for now. The gauge is light weight and USPS first class mail is very cheap for something this size and very quick.

It will take me a couple weeks to finish developing the shift light program for now. Once I have released the first set of gauges. I will start work on that while taking pre-orders for the next set of gauges. Set two will come with the shift light feature. I need a small break between production of group one and group two so I can actually have a couple weeks of time to get the shift light program working.

The reason I released a few gauges ahead of the shift light update is because I few people wanted to play with them and to be honest I was getting quite anxious myself to get a few out there after all this time working on them. I want to see what you guys think.

Once I know how to do the RPM part and I know the gears, I can build an entirely new gauge for the ninja relative to the Koso dash.
This is much farther down the line. I'd like to see how this small success with this gauge does first... and later much bigger things will come!

Adrian I think today is too late for the install of the gauge. I will need a good couple of hours without a rush of a ride afterward. We will have to set up the switches which can take time so we need to make a day just for this puppy.

As for jdoucet93:
Your remote green super bright LED has been added and your gauge is ready to ship tomorrow morning!

I plan on making an install video for you guys. I will probably use Adrian's bike! haha Hang in there while I get everything together for your install instructions. This is getting out of hand but I'm doing my best to pull it all together!

jdoucet93's completed package

Here's his gauge with 5" remote LED

Plugged into my bike for a quick test.
If you see a solid LED and the "N" sign for neutral when you turn the bike on, you know you installed the wires correctly. If not, you will get no "N" and the LED will flash.

Old August 21st, 2011, 08:05 AM   #48
ninja250
You are sleeping

One thing to remember guys is the ROAD is the most important thing to be looking at. Please be sure you give yourself a good scan of the road for any obstacles before you glance down at this gauge. Do not stare at it all day while riding. It will distract you and cause a crash.

Please pay attention to the road. You have been fairly warned and I can not be held responsible if you drive off the road while staring at my pretty gauges.

Old August 21st, 2011, 09:52 AM   #49
jdoucet93
ninjette.org sage

Looking sweet! Can't wait.
Just curious though, approximately how hot does the gauge get? I'm planning on mounting it inside the factory dash (just to the left of the fuel gauge). just want to make sure I'm not going to start building up enough heat to cause melted plastic or a melted down gauge. Even in the 95+ degree heat here in south louisiana.

Old August 21st, 2011, 10:08 AM   #50
ninja250
You are sleeping

It hasn't melted Velcro so far.
I just velcro it to the dash. (That is, until I recently removed my dash!)

It just gets hot to the touch on the heatsink.
As long as you mount it with the supplied Velcro, you will be OK.

I will cover a lot of this in the video when I get to Adrians' install.

The toughest part is drilling the holes in just the right spot on the sprocket cover. Then afterwards you (might) have to bend the switch tabs a bit to adjust the system.

When it's all done up right it works pretty nicely.

Just don't touch the heatsink! It's hot enough to burn your skin, but it's not touching anything else it will burn. Just mount it with velcro and forget it.

If it only gets to 95* out there, you will be fine. I burned your gauge in during this 102* heatwave we are having in 3 hours of stop and go traffic. As long as you don't touch the heatsink and it's mounted on the velcro, nothing will melt.

If you'd like, you can cruise down to radio shack or an electronics supply store and find a 5v regulator heatsink to make it run even cooler.. or just straight bolt the 5V regulator to a piece of your frame metal to help cool it down. (but remember to remove in rain!)

I used to put mine over the stock neutral light.
Version 1 was so large it had to be mounted on top of the dash. lol

Old August 21st, 2011, 10:09 AM   #51
jdoucet93
ninjette.org sage

Excellent!

Old August 21st, 2011, 12:46 PM   #52
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Looking great - very professionally done work!

Do you have pics of what the remote digit looks like?

What exactly does it mean to "burn in" the gauge?

EDIT: I originally said LED, when I was referring to the digit. Sorry.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2011, 01:05 PM   #53
jdoucet93
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja250 View Post
:

jdoucet93's completed package

Here's his gauge with 5" remote LED

Plugged into my bike for a quick test.
If you see a solid LED and the "N" sign for neutral when you turn the bike on, you know you installed the wires correctly. If not, you will get no "N" and the LED will flash.

this is what the remote led looks like. otherwise it would be attached directly to the gauge.

Old August 21st, 2011, 01:31 PM   #54
headshrink

My bad, I totally mispoke... what I MEANT to say was the digit (which I believe is also an LED). I'll edit my original post.

Old August 21st, 2011, 01:33 PM   #55
jdoucet93
ninjette.org sage

ahh i see, classic mixup.

Old August 21st, 2011, 03:45 PM   #56
ninja250
You are sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
Do you have pics of what the remote digit looks like?
Sorry.
No I don't. I haven't made one yet but I can (and will!)!
That's the best part! I can work with you guys on how you need yours set up!

I can extend it off the board as much as you guys would like.

Old August 21st, 2011, 05:34 PM   #57
ducducgooseit

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): ...

Quote:
... I can extend it off the board as much as you guys would like.
This has interest for me. I would probably hack the stock gauge cluster and put your gear indicator under the "glass" in the Fuel gauge. To do that, the 7 segment display would need to be on long lead flexible ribbon cable.

That's why I bought your cluster - to see if there is space. And mess with the neutral position. And separate the turn indicators. And ...
ducducgooseit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2011, 06:09 PM   #58
ninja250
You are sleeping

Yes should be able to get the digit on a small ribbon cable no problems.
I can work with you guys to get you what you need.

Old August 21st, 2011, 07:05 PM   #59
wellcraft
ninjette.org guru

If I get it with the remote shift light, how long is the wire and will it have a plug to it so I don't have to remove the light when removing the rest of the unit?

Also, if you add the iPhone feature will this be something that can be added to this version or do we need to buy a new unit, will other upgrades works with this set up?

I wanna go with this now but I'm wondering if it would be better to wait for a more advanced or sophisticated version.

Also, I would love to see this in a case, is there something I can do to make it cooler if. I can build a small fiberglass case for it?

Old August 21st, 2011, 08:21 PM   #60
ninja250
You are sleeping

I can make the shift light wire as long as you'd like.
For now it just blinks when a shift is indicated, not at any certain RPM (yet).
I can add a connector as well.

This gauge will never connect to the iphone, but I use my iphone along side of it as a team to complete my dashboard. It would be akin to adding my gear display to your Koso as a stand alone unit too make an all-in-one dash composed of several components.

I have seen very small metal enclosure cases at the electronics store. I believe they are knicknamed "Bud boxes" or something.
If you were careful how you mounted the gauge, you could use a screw to screw the gauge to the inside of the tiny metal container, thus acting as a heatsink and an enclosure housing all in one.
They cost about $10-$15. Fry's electronics has them and so does an electronics store in Riverside. If I were to add them, my costs to you would go up, but I can do it! I'd just have to drive down there and get one and mount it and put holes and stuff which would take a bit longer.

As far as waiting for a better version, the only better this gauge will get is the shift light program upgrade a bit later down the road. This makes the light blink when you need to shift. You adjust when you need to shift by turning a knob on the board with an allen wrench. It's on there now, programmed to make the LED do different things if you turn the bike on when it is not in neutral.

Remote digits and LED's are all possible. You can add them yourself or I can do it for you.
Connectors are possible too.

I will work with you guys on everything you need to make this custom thing fit you right as long as it's not costing me money.

Old August 21st, 2011, 08:24 PM   #61
ninja250
You are sleeping

Some of these they make are very small and would be perfectly suitable to my gauge.
http://www.budind.com/small_metal_enclosures.php
Bud box project enclosures baby!
http://www.budind.com/die_cast_boxes.php

Or like this... they have a 1" x 1" x 2" size. I saw something similar to this at the electronics store.
You have to go to the specialty electronics shops, not radio schmack.
http://actionelectronicswholesale.co...5213C2252.aspx

Something like this could act as a heatsink and an enclosure, and you can find one easy at Fry's off the 60fwy near the 610 or out here in Riverside and I'm sure many other places in L.A.
If you need me to find one that fits, I would be happy to do so if you cover the cost of the case.
I think looking for something to put it in might be half the fun? Once you find the perfect case, mount the gauge inside with a screw and cut a slot in the back for the wires to exit, one on top to view the digit and you're good to go.

Old August 21st, 2011, 08:32 PM   #62
jdoucet93
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
As far as waiting for a better version, the only better this gauge will get is the shift light program upgrade a bit later down the road. This makes the light blink when you need to shift. You adjust when you need to shift by turning a knob on the board with an allen wrench. It's on there now, programmed to make the LED do different things if you turn the bike on when it is not in neutral.
Different flash patterns for now, im guessing?

Old August 21st, 2011, 08:48 PM   #63
wellcraft
ninjette.org guru

Sorry for the ignorance, but what does it means akin??

Couldn't understand the koso gauge sentence because on the akin word

I definitely want some type of enclosure, that's holding me up a bit because I would like it to look like a factory option since I have the koso gauge. If you are able to enclose it, how would the display look like? Would it be separate from the circuit board or would it be like a cut out on the case showing the display like the shift koso gauge?

[/B]
Quote:
I can make the shift light wire as long as you'd like.
For now it just blinks when a shift is indicated, not at any certain RPM (yet).
I can add a connector as well.

This gauge will never connect to the iphone, but I use my iphone along side of it as a team to complete my dashboard. It would be akin to adding my gear display to your Koso as a stand alone unit too make an all-in-one dash composed of several components.

I have seen very small metal enclosure cases at the electronics store. I believe they are knicknamed "Bud boxes" or something.
If you were careful how you mounted the gauge, you could use a screw to screw the gauge to the inside of the tiny metal container, thus acting as a heatsink and an enclosure housing all in one.
They cost about $10-$15. Fry's electronics has them and so does an electronics store in Riverside. If I were to add them, my costs to you would go up, but I can do it! I'd just have to drive down there and get one and mount it and put holes and stuff which would take a bit longer.

Remote digits and LED's are all possible. You can add them yourself or I can do it for you.
Connectors are possible too.

I will work with you guys on everything you need to make this custom thing fit you right as long as it's not costing me money.

Old August 21st, 2011, 08:59 PM   #64
wellcraft
ninjette.org guru

Something like this http://www.google.com/m/search?site=...ator&sa=N#i=12

I haven't seen an electronic store here were I live, just radio shack, so I guess I would have to rely on you for this one too. I guess I could try to do something with fiberglass but I guess it would be kind of hard since it's a very small case.

Old August 21st, 2011, 09:16 PM   #65
ducducgooseit

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): ...

I live near Orvac's and Fry's. Going to PM.
ducducgooseit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2011, 09:51 PM   #66
ninja250
You are sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
Something like this http://www.google.com/m/search?site=...ator&sa=N#i=12

I haven't seen an electronic store here were I live, just radio shack, so I guess I would have to rely on you for this one too. I guess I could try to do something with fiberglass but I guess it would be kind of hard since it's a very small case.
I wish I had a nice case like that for my gauge but the fact is I don't.
I'm sure I will come up with something eventually but there is so much work to do it's hard to do it on my own. I need you guys to help me find things it will fit in while I make them and program them and make the install videos. hehe.

I'm sure I can find you a case too. I'll pick something up next time I hit the electronics shop. I need to get one more stinking switch for the first five run anyways. They keep running out so I buy all the micro switches that are similar and shape the lever with the dremel.

Old August 21st, 2011, 10:02 PM   #67
headshrink

Can you imagine if the rest of the world worked like this? Oh yeah, I think thay call that Heaven.

Old August 23rd, 2011, 01:03 PM   #68
ninja250
You are sleeping

Owe you guys an gauge install video shortly.
Just did a valve adjustment video and uploading now.
Not enough time in a day to get to everything!

Old August 24th, 2011, 05:28 PM   #69
pilotgeorge747
ninjette.org guru

Name: George

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250r 03 Yamaha R6 (Project bike)

Any chance to still get in on this group buy?
pilotgeorge747 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2011, 05:34 PM   #70
jdoucet93
ninjette.org sage

Got my gauge in the mail this afternoon! Gonna see how much I can figure out on my own in the morning.

Old August 24th, 2011, 07:16 PM   #71
ninja250
You are sleeping

For the connector without the gauge on it:
Brown - Neutral sensor wire splice
yellow and green are the shift switch inputs

As for the switches:

If you hook it up right, the gauge will display neutral and the LED will light up solid.

I owe you guys an install video shortly when I can get to Adrian's bike.
If I can't get to it this weekend I will make the install video with my own bike on Monday.

I have a fishing tourney on Saturday =)

I'm still waiting on the rest of the processors for the first batch to come in from Canada?!
That's all I need. Hurry up snail mail!

The rest is installing the switches properly. Also, it helps if you make a clean shift and your switches should be adjusted to just barely trigger all the way near the ends of the shift.
you will need to grind a portion of the rim on the bolt that holds the shifting clamp on the transmission shift arm too, so the switches can slide over smoothly.

I need to show this on video. Once I take a video everything will be crystal clear. For now you can hook it up to your battery and play with the switches and get a feel for what wires go where, and where you want to install the gauge itself. I need to show you guys where to use connectors too so your sprocket cover still comes off easy for cleaning and maintenance and where to drill for the bolt holes and wire routing holes. Very simple once I show you, much easier than trying to explain.

Old August 24th, 2011, 07:31 PM   #72
ninja250
You are sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotgeorge747 View Post
Any chance to still get in on this group buy?
You're very welcome to jump in place on the second list.
Next run I will complete ten gauges maximum. I believe I have six on the list.
Scroll back in the thread a bit and feel free to update yourself onto the list.

Old August 24th, 2011, 08:04 PM   #73
adri99an

When we gonna hook this thing up?

Did u sell the rearsets?

Old August 24th, 2011, 09:39 PM   #74
pilotgeorge747
ninjette.org guru

Name: George

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250r 03 Yamaha R6 (Project bike)

Quote:
You're very welcome to jump in place on the second list.
Next run I will complete ten gauges maximum. I believe I have six on the list.
Scroll back in the thread a bit and feel free to update yourself onto the list.
Ok add me to the list!

1)Key3thermal
2)Swampotter
3)Bob Headshrink
4)EddieNewYork
5)Ytse Frobozz
6)ichibunkid.206
7)pilotgeorge747
pilotgeorge747 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2011, 09:59 PM   #75
ninja250
You are sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by adri99an View Post
When we gonna hook this thing up?

Did u sell the rearsets?
I think honeybadger sold the rearset.
I don't know what the heck going on with that. Too many rearsets around.
somebody just send me the money to ship the dang thing and I'll ship it. lol

Let me know when you have a good solid half a day for me to come and start poking around your bike for installing the gauge. It might take us a while to install. Gonna make you hold the camera.

Old August 24th, 2011, 10:01 PM   #76
ninja250
You are sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotgeorge747 View Post
Ok add me to the list!

1)Key3thermal
2)Swampotter
3)Bob Headshrink
4)EddieNewYork
5)Ytse Frobozz
6)ichibunkid.206
7)pilotgeorge747
8)..................
9)......................
10)..........................
Many thanks.

We're gonna take list two up to 10 pieces max.

Just waiting on processors to finish up list one!

Then the install video and finally the shift light program upgrade.

Will be in touch with everyone from list two when it becomes pre-order payment time. Still a couple weeks off. Check back every other day or so for full updates.

Old August 25th, 2011, 11:52 AM   #77
jdoucet93
ninjette.org sage

Good news!!

Got my gauge installed. Had to change a little bit with my plan for where i was going to install the light and the gauge. But it works perfectly. Haven't gotten the switches permanently installed just yet, working on attaching connectors so that the sprocket cover can be removed. It's all actually quite simple. Thanks a bunch KC!

Old August 25th, 2011, 11:54 AM   #78
key3thermal
ninjette.org member

Name: Wajeeh

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r Blue

thanks for the videos on the valve adjustments, but just wondering does it have anything to do with the gear indicator??
key3thermal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2011, 12:19 PM   #79
wellcraft
ninjette.org guru

Kc, is there any problem with heat if I build a small fiberglass case to cover the whole thing, I know the fg is no problem, I'm referring to your product?

Old August 25th, 2011, 12:29 PM   #80
DjDiablo
ninjette.org member

Name: Djalma

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250R 2010 - FI - Blue

I would like if it as in cabon fiber... a bit curvd so u culd attatch to te side of the panel... that ould look cool...
DjDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote