ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 10th, 2011, 02:13 AM   #1
5evenz
ninjette.org member

Name: Sev

Motorcycle(s): 09' 250r Thunder Blue

Clutch lever with too much play. how to fix?

I threw on some ride it levers and my clutch has a lot more movement/play while fully out. it does not rattle vertically but rather horizontally. how can this be fixed?

Link to original page on YouTube.

5evenz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2011, 07:24 AM   #2
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

You could try shimming it with some shim stock. Fastenal carries it. I think the 11/32" ID shim stock would work. You'd have to check what the diameter is of clutch lever bolt. For some reason 8mm is coming to mind.

Link.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2011, 08:41 AM   #3
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

check your clutch cable adjustment

Old November 10th, 2011, 11:01 AM   #4
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
check your clutch cable adjustment
His issue isn't the clutch cable being too loose. The "thickness" of the lever he installed seems to be too thin so there is play in the lever bolted to the perch.

Old November 10th, 2011, 11:06 AM   #5
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-os View Post
You could try shimming it with some shim stock. Fastenal carries it. I think the 11/32" ID shim stock would work. You'd have to check what the diameter is of clutch lever bolt. For some reason 8mm is coming to mind.

Link.
Similar idea, see if you can find some aluminum or brass tubing that'll go around the bolt to tighten it up. Then add some shims on top and bottom until everything is smooth. While you're at it, grease it up with some bearing grease.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2011, 12:49 PM   #6
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
Similar idea, see if you can find some aluminum or brass tubing that'll go around the bolt to tighten it up. Then add some shims on top and bottom until everything is smooth. While you're at it, grease it up with some bearing grease.
I haven't had my 250 levers off, but is there not a shoulder on the bolt to fit the lever tight and help it pivot easy? On my Honda the bolt has a long shoulder that goes into the bushing on the lever.

Old November 10th, 2011, 01:36 PM   #7
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Just make sure the lever has the proper amount of slack. These adjustable levers have a little bit of horizontal play because they flex forward and backwards. What you see and feel is the lever flexing forward a bit which is normal and necessary for using the adjustment lever easily. Keep in mind the lever is in 2 pieces. As long as it does not rattle while riding, you should be fine. mine does the same thing if I wiggle it hard enough. Check my review on the adjustable levers.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showp...4&postcount=15
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2011, 01:40 PM   #8
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

There is but if the levers are aftermarket, it may not fit correctly. The OPs video showed aftermarket levers so I dont know how well they were supposed to fit or if he purchased an incorrect model.

Best course of action is to make sure it is designed for this bike and fits correctly but otherwise, he would have to do some adjustments to get them to fit the way he wants.. Nothing I've suggested would impact the usability or safety of the levers.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2011, 04:30 PM   #9
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
His issue isn't the clutch cable being too loose. The "thickness" of the lever he installed seems to be too thin so there is play in the lever bolted to the perch.
He said horizontal movement, not up and down. Wouldn't the lever being thin be called up and down movement? In his video it looks like he's moving the lever in the direction of apply/release, not up and down.

Old November 10th, 2011, 04:38 PM   #10
5evenz
ninjette.org member

Name: Sev

Motorcycle(s): 09' 250r Thunder Blue

Yeah the Rideit levers have received good reviews. the brake is totally fine and being adjustable there is a bit more movement away from the grip in order to adjust them. But in my case there is at least 3/4 inch too much movement. also a tiny bit of plastic came out of there about the size of pen tip during install. maybe just debris as i cant find anything like it on my friends ninja. either way i will tinker with these suggestions and post what i find.
5evenz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2011, 04:40 PM   #11
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5evenz View Post
Yeah the Rideit levers have received good reviews. the brake is totally fine and being adjustable there is a bit more movement away from the grip in order to adjust them. But in my case there is at least 3/4 inch too much movement. also a tiny bit of plastic came out of there about the size of pen tip during install. maybe just debris as i cant find anything like it on my friends ninja. either way i will tinker with these suggestions and post what i find.
The piece of plastic you found is probably the clutch lever switch. You just broke the pin off of it.

Old November 11th, 2011, 06:15 AM   #12
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
The piece of plastic you found is probably the clutch lever switch. You just broke the pin off of it.
What he said.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showp...76&postcount=2
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote