ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old July 12th, 2013, 05:31 PM   #1
Gurk
Done here.

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Why don't Super Sport series allow slick tires?

@Trailerboy531 and I was talking about this today.

World Super Sport, AMA or any of the smaller national series don't allow slick tire use for 600cc class.. I always wondered why... Anyone care to chip in?

My 2 guesses were marketing the dot race tires and/or keeping costs down for the teams in the PRO series like AMA and WSS. Then possibly the smaller series just copied the rules from them.

EDIT: Hmmm a racer friend of mine had this to say just now:

Slick tires cornering speed is much faster than DOT tires
Superstock class bike chassis doesn't endure cornering speed of slick tires
Because Regulation of Superstick class restricts modification of chassis

Last futzed with by Gurk; July 12th, 2013 at 07:44 PM.
Gurk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2013, 05:40 PM   #2
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

I don't not know why they don't allow them to not use tires that aren't not the opposite of slick tires.
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2013, 05:47 PM   #3
Gurk
Done here.

chatting with 5 people at the same time. LEAVE ME ALONE! haha.

@Alex fix it for me so i don't look more retarded than i am?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 12th, 2013, 05:59 PM   #4
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

Alex is on vacation for a few more days - you're stuck looking like a retard

edit: Alex is actually back from vacation but probably too tired to make you look less retarded.
CVMA #531
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2013, 06:13 PM   #5
Gurk
Done here.

shiiiet. there should be an option to edit subjects. THIS IS BS!

Old July 12th, 2013, 06:13 PM   #6
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

tee he
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2013, 06:15 AM   #7
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 2011 Zero S, 2009 KLR 650

Also, from a marketing standpoint, at a national-level series its a selling point for the tire manufacturers to have the racers on tires you buy off the shelf and (hopefully) have them say good things.

It also lowers costs for the tire manufacturers and teams to use mass-produced tires rather than lower volume non-DOT slicks. Even if the price per tire is only about $30 different, when you'll blow through three sets in a race weekend, by the end of a season it all adds up!
Rexbo is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 3rd, 2013, 07:43 AM   #8
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurk View Post
@Trailerboy531 and I was talking about this today.

World Super Sport, AMA or any of the smaller national series don't allow slick tire use for 600cc class.. I always wondered why... Anyone care to chip in?

My 2 guesses were marketing the dot race tires and/or keeping costs down for the teams in the PRO series like AMA and WSS. Then possibly the smaller series just copied the rules from them.

EDIT: Hmmm a racer friend of mine had this to say just now:

Slick tires cornering speed is much faster than DOT tires
Superstock class bike chassis doesn't endure cornering speed of slick tires
Because Regulation of Superstick class restricts modification of chassis

this was great but in my opinion wrong(to a point)

They run DOT's because mostly marketing and a very small part cost(not much difference in $)

The reason Slicks are better then DOT is not because they are slicks, it's because they are developed to be better. Back when I raced AMA there wasn't all these extra Regs and one make tire bullshit so the special DOT tires from the UK imported for only the factory riders and very select privateer of the weekend were an a whole other level then what the rest of the paddock was getting. I set the old course record at willow springs in the superbike class on my superstock R1 with DOT tires with a 1:20:80. Take a look at the lap times those guys are running nowadays with 60 more HP, its like 2-3 seconds slower because no one bothers making good tire for our series anymore. Back in the day they tried to push the American made tires on us and after several of us totaled bikes trying to get them to work we all said **** that and stuck with the UK imports. Now with AMA only uses dunlops, dunlop makes the whole field run the crap American made tires because they no long need to compete against the other tire manufacturers.

so your racing friend is right to a point but it wasn't always like that and is only currently like that because of politics and $, thus the a big reason I retired when I did.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2013, 06:53 AM   #9
Gurk
Done here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
[/B]

this was great but in my opinion wrong(to a point)

They run DOT's because mostly marketing and a very small part cost(not much difference in $)

The reason Slicks are better then DOT is not because they are slicks, it's because they are developed to be better. Back when I raced AMA there wasn't all these extra Regs and one make tire bullshit so the special DOT tires from the UK imported for only the factory riders and very select privateer of the weekend were an a whole other level then what the rest of the paddock was getting. I set the old course record at willow springs in the superbike class on my superstock R1 with DOT tires with a 1:20:80. Take a look at the lap times those guys are running nowadays with 60 more HP, its like 2-3 seconds slower because no one bothers making good tire for our series anymore. Back in the day they tried to push the American made tires on us and after several of us totaled bikes trying to get them to work we all said **** that and stuck with the UK imports. Now with AMA only uses dunlops, dunlop makes the whole field run the crap American made tires because they no long need to compete against the other tire manufacturers.

so your racing friend is right to a point but it wasn't always like that and is only currently like that because of politics and $, thus the a big reason I retired when I did.
I guess my initial guess was more accurate. Thanks for chipping in man I always wondered.