ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old July 24th, 2013, 09:56 AM   #1
MKlein3004
Fighting Texas Aggie '08

Name: Mitchell

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r (Race), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R 636 (Track), 2005 Ducati Monster 620 (Street)

Ninja 250 Racers

What are you guys doing to make this little piggy the lightest it can be?

Looking to use my bike for endurance and sprinting as soon as this weekend, I have the next couple of nights to get the parts removed.

Currently I have removed all of the non essential plastic parts, horn, cut the race fairings down so the clipons can sit lower. Removed the speedometer and the gas gauage (wasn't function anyway) and left in the tach. The bike has all of the normal racing/track parts on it (rear sets, clip ons, exhaust, air box removed, GSXR shock, front suspension). Bike is fully safety wired and ready to go, just looking to make her a little lighter.

Thanks
MKlein3004 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2013, 12:12 PM   #2
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

hack off the kickstand and bracket. Can't recall what the rules and regs with CMRA about hacking the frame. I just remember it saying it has to look like production. If hacking the frame is allowed, hack off the tail section just after the seat. Also, possibly hacking the front fairing stay and bend up some aluminum flat stock. Get rid of the rear brake reservoir and fill up a clear tubing with brake fluid. Only other way to lose weight is the rider. lol

Could shave down your top triple tree clamp.

Dump the race plastics/fiberglass and make that **** out of some paper mache!! minus the catch can of course lol

415 chain conversion and aluminum sprockets.

Old July 24th, 2013, 12:35 PM   #3
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i have all the unneeded cooling stuff removed (like the fan for example). you can use a smaller purge tank for your coolant since hopefully your bike isn't overheating. (racebikes are supposed to be healthy!)
swap the battery to lipo or a123 or whatever is a free 10lbs.
the front fairing stay is too heavy, there are lots of bits you can take out in the center between the top frame tubes. leave the seat cross member- it helps with frame flex a lot.
if you are in an unlimited class you can cut off the rear subframe for the passenger seat, thats like 10lbs maybe. you can replace the coils and mounts with coilover plugs. also 415 chain/sprockets save a few pounds. obviously all the emissions crap has to go. the front engine mounts where the radiator attaches has a lot of unneeded weight. but you can't modify that unless you are in unlimited rules.

everyone here, including those in full stock class remove the kickstand and mount. it is a hazard to leave it on. you can remove a few lbs from the gas tank since you are removing the gas gauge.

Old July 24th, 2013, 02:01 PM   #4
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Alex covered some good points I totally forgot.
You don't need to run a thermostat either so ditch the housing and run a straight hose.

You don't need the front sprocket cover too.

Titanium sprocket nuts.

Old August 3rd, 2013, 06:09 AM   #5
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 2011 Zero S, 2009 KLR 650

Poop more.

Also if you're allowed to in the rules, you can skeletonize the wiring harness so all the headlight/turn signal/brake light wires and relays and fuses can be totally ditched. Some people drill out or custom water jet the rear brake rotor too.
Rexbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2013, 06:15 AM   #6
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
my bike was the exact opposite of where your going. I had all the hardware for my heated gear, aftermaket HID's, radar detector, 4 usb charging ports and my tool kit under the seat. But my bike was slow down the straits, I wonder why
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote