ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old March 10th, 2011, 05:28 AM   #1
AMMOCAN
SLIME-R

Name: AMMOCAN

Motorcycle(s): *SOLD* '10 Kawasaki 250R SE A.K.A. SLIME-R *SOLD*

ForceField Limb Tube Knee Guards

I am currently looking to buy some protective gear. On top of my list is a pair of non-bulky knee/shin guards. Has anyone used or heard anything about ForceField's Limb Tube Knee Guards? If so, what do you think? My goal is to make sure I get something that I would want to wear all the time otherwise it isn't going to work. These seem to be CE rated even with out the plastic, which saves on weight and bulk, but I am wondering how effective they would actually be with out the plastic. However, I have noticed that most knee/shin guards even with the plastic are not CE rated, so I would really like to hear what others have to say about this ForceField product.

Thank you,

Old March 10th, 2011, 06:34 AM   #2
want1sobad
Ninjette CPT

Name: Vince

Motorcycle(s): Black 08 250r

get these:

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com...l.bok?no=10050

i have the previous version, as do many others. they are not bulky (will fit under a pair of jeans no problem).

the new version seems to be a significant improvement over the current model. i almost can't wait till my old ones wear out so i can get the new ones

more discussion on various knee/shin armor:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=58451
want1sobad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2011, 11:49 AM   #3
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by want1sobad View Post
get these:

i have the previous version, as do many others. they are not bulky (will fit under a pair of jeans no problem).

the new version seems to be a significant improvement over the current model. i almost can't wait till my old ones wear out so i can get the new ones

more discussion on various knee/shin armor:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=58451
Those new icons look nice but 40 bucks higher then the prior version seems a bit much. It sure doesn't look like they added 40 bucks worth of additions to them.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2011, 12:15 PM   #4
want1sobad
Ninjette CPT

Name: Vince

Motorcycle(s): Black 08 250r

ce certified (probably paying for the testing/certification is the primary cause for additional expense). also has the "biofoam", as well as an improve strapping system to provide a better fit for a wider range of riders.
want1sobad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2011, 01:44 PM   #5
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

Quote:
ce certified (probably paying for the testing/certification is the primary cause for additional expense). also has the "biofoam", as well as an improve strapping system to provide a better fit for a wider range of riders.
The 50 dollar ones I have are ce rated though. The only thing I can think of is if both the plastic caps and the foam are both ce rated but even then it seems to be a bit much.

I like that they made the straps bigger though.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2011, 03:48 PM   #6
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok View Post
The 50 dollar ones I have are ce rated though. The only thing I can think of is if both the plastic caps and the foam are both ce rated but even then it seems to be a bit much.

I like that they made the straps bigger though.
I like the old Icon Field Armor knee guards I've been using, but the straps are problematic, as is the fit on the knee guard. They are very comfortable, even as I've wished they used long straps that wrap around the front. Looks like they solved the knee fit and strap issues with the new version, and added some venting also. Not sure if they are $40 better, but they are definately a superior product.

Back to OP, though. Those look really sweet. Very comfortable looking, and reviews seem positive. Hard to believe they are CE rated, which is awesome, and the company seems really good. Honestly, if I'd seen those before I bought my old model Icon Field Armor, I would have seriously considered them for my commute or for casual riding under my armored jeans. Heck, I'm considering them now.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2011, 04:14 PM   #7
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Remember, the CE rating is an impact rating. If there's no plastic on there during a slide, I wonder how well it will protect your knee if it comes apart? I picked up the forcefield strap on leg armor and wore it the other day. Fit is great and it's not uncomfortable. I think I may need baggier jeans or at least longer ones tho. hah

Old March 10th, 2011, 06:26 PM   #8
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
The sleeve is a cordura blend, so it should provide abrasion resistance, especially since you'll wear them under pants. Combined with the impact material, I'd be fairly confident this things could survive a pretty good slide.
And the impact technology looks really good - Forcefield says they far exceed CE standard and are reusable. You can see the cordura in this close up:

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake

Old March 10th, 2011, 11:02 PM   #9
AMMOCAN
SLIME-R

Thanx to everyone who posted a comment, especially gfloyd2002.

I think I am going to take the plunge and go ahead and buy me a pair. I didn't get a reply back from the people at Revzilla, but from what I can tell the 'ForceField' company is top notch and they design every component of their protection to meet/exceed the CE rating. I am not sure how true this fact is, but I am very intrigued.

I am also going to be purchasing the following items from Revzilla:

SAS-TEC Back Protector
XENA XX-6 Disc Lock Alarm
Kryptonite NY Chain w/Evolution Disc Lock
Shift Torque Jeans
Alpinestars SP-S Glove

I believe that should conclude my shopping list for now. Although, I may find something else to purchase.

*Helmet - Check
*Jacket w/arm, elbow, & shoulder protection - Check
*Boots - Check
*Riding Pack - Check
*Motorcycle Cover - Check
*OnGuard Rottweiler Armored Cable Lock - Check
*Tank Protector - Check
*Motorcycle - Hopefully Saturday

Old March 11th, 2011, 09:00 AM   #10
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

I have a couple of forcefield pieces. You can't go wrong with them!

Old March 11th, 2011, 12:02 PM   #11
AMMOCAN
SLIME-R

Thanx C-Thunder-blue.

Well, it seems that I must of sparked enough interest in the ForceField Tube Knee Guards, as when I went to place my order they were sold out, lol.

Here is what I was able to order:

*Xena XX-6 Disc Alarm Lock - Check
*Kryptonite 5' Fahgettaboudit Chain Lock (They matched the sale price from Motorcycle Superstore) - Check
*Alpinestars SP-S Glove - Check
*Shift Torque Jeans - Check

I just have a few other things to order and I will finally be done.

Old March 12th, 2011, 02:01 AM   #12
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
Well, that saved me some money. I seriously thought about the Limb Tube, then decided to wait on your report how they worked out. My wife will be happy about not spending more on gear.

Old March 12th, 2011, 09:54 AM   #13
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja EX250, 07 FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMMOCAN View Post
Thanx C-Thunder-blue.

Well, it seems that I must of sparked enough interest in the ForceField Tube Knee Guards, as when I went to place my order they were sold out, lol.

Here is what I was able to order:

*Xena XX-6 Disc Alarm Lock - Check
*Kryptonite 5' Fahgettaboudit Chain Lock (They matched the sale price from Motorcycle Superstore) - Check
*Alpinestars SP-S Glove - Check
*Shift Torque Jeans - Check

I just have a few other things to order and I will finally be done.
I was going to tell you to look at a tail bag from revzilla for cheap...

http://www.revzilla.com/product/cort...ort-tail-bag-2
Yasko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2011, 02:40 PM   #14
AMMOCAN
SLIME-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasko View Post
I was going to tell you to look at a tail bag from revzilla for cheap...
http://www.revzilla.com/product/cort...ort-tail-bag-2
Thanx Yasko, but I already purchased the Icon Squad 2 Backpack.

@ gfloyd2002 Revzilla emailed me and told me they should have more in stock by this coming week. Once they email me back and let me know they have them in stock I will purchase a pair and let you know what I think.

Old March 16th, 2011, 03:54 PM   #15
AMMOCAN
SLIME-R

I just ordered a pair of the ForceField Tube Knee Guards from RevZilla. Still waiting on shipment information, but I expect I should have them sometime early next week.

Old March 16th, 2011, 04:26 PM   #16
SSR
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jonathan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Quote:
get these:

I ordered those a few days ago and they arrived at my door today. I'm gonna put a review up (complete with pictures!), but it'll be later tonight or tomorrow night (problem with work, gets in the way of important things, like reviewing motorcycle gear)

Old March 18th, 2011, 09:32 PM   #17
AMMOCAN
SLIME-R

I received a nice surprise today! Yes, you are correct! My ForceField Tube Knee Guards did get delivered today. It is currently raining, so I didn't get to test them 100% all the way, but I did do enough to draw my own conclusion on them. Here are some Pics followed by my report (Try to figure out which preview pic has me wearing the Knee Guards):

Opened Box

Contents

Bottom of Knee Guard Box

Inside of Knee Guard Box

Plastic Bag Around Knee Guards

Tags on Knee Guards

Tag Description

Knee Guard Elastic Strap Length (without stretching)

Inside of Kneed Guard, Outside of Knee Guard Insert Pocket

Rear Outside Stitching

Front/Side Outside Stitching

Knee Guard Insert Pocket

Back of Knee Guard Insert

Front of Knee Guard Insert

Front of Knee Guard Insert Info.

Preview 1

Front View

Side View

Preview 2

FORCEFIELD TUBE KNEE GUARDS

Pro: Weight, Bulk, Construction

Con: Size, Fit, Protection

Ok, so overall I am extremely pleased with my purchase, especially since I was able to pick them up for $42 instead of the regular $72 @ RevZilla. These guards weigh next to nothing and have no bulkiness to them whats so ever. Did you figure out which Preview pic I am wearing them in? The construction is of the utmost quality! This is by far the best thing I like about them. All the critical seams seem to be stitched welded, if that makes sense (check pics). Even the strip of lycra to cap the ends are double stitched. The only part that did bring me to worry about the longevity of it is the male and female strips of velcro that are sewn onto the straps, as they are only single stitched. However, since the tube guard acts as a knee brace it isn't coming off your leg even if the velcro does pull off the strap.

Now, if you didn't notice by the pics these are actually a universal guard for the arm/leg. What makes these more suitable for the knee is because they are LARGE, which is the biggest size they offer for this tube guard. Neither one is anatomically correct for a specific leg (Left or Right), as they are universally fitted and can be put on either leg. Also, the actual guard is small in it's depth thus doesn't offer much of protection except for the very front of the knee and part of the shin.

These days my legs are closer to the average size and I have a 30" inseam, so if my legs were the size they were when I was in the military, then I don't think they would have fit. The cordura guard tube cover that you pull up around your leg is very comfortable and accommodating in size, as it stretches and has plenty of length and adjustment in the supplied velcro straps. However, I just don't see the actual guard fitting properly over an above averaged knee/leg. As it is, the actual guard stops at the lower part of my shin, which at first was very uncomfortable while walking (the guards start below the top velcro strap and end just above the bottom one).

I took off my shoes when putting them on, but I do believe they would stretch enough to put on over a pair of shoes or light boots. However, I don't think you would be able to do it without having the bottom of your shoe/light boot scraping the inside of the tube because of how long the tube is. For me, I would rather just put them on before my shoes, as I am not to keen on the idea of having what ever was on the bottom of my shoe now all over my leg.

After putting them on I walked around outside, checked the mail, spent some time with SLIME-R, started her up, walked up and down the stairs, got in the riding position, as well as impact tested them.

At first, walking was very awkward and semi-irritating because of the guard digging into my shin. However, the left did this more so than the right. After a while I didn't notice this as much, but it still felt awkward walking, as I felt robotic. Besides the initial semi-irritating guard digging in my shin the tube felt really good and was quite comfortable. I did sweat a little, but it did a great job wicking it away. Through my whole trial the guard stayed in place. It is by far the most comfortable while you are in the riding position, which is really what they are for anyways, lol. The only time I felt as if it was restricting my movement, was when I would walk and extend my leg. Having the leg bent and or moving it side to side, I couldn't really tell that I had them on.

For the impact test I simply just dropped to my knees from a standing position three times. I did feel a little discomfort during the impact from the guards, but my knees stayed protected and haven't hurt nor do I have any bruising. However, my knees already have issues due to the abuse I had put them through in the past, so it is hard to say for sure, but I honestly can't see or feel anything different about them after my impact test.

BOTTOM LINE

I am 100% satisfied with this product, as it has met my own personal needs in a knee guard. I wanted something that was light weight, not bulky, well constructed, comfortable, and CE rated. At first, the comfort of the guard (not the tube) wasn't so comfortable while walking, but after a while of walking around in them they got better, besides they are meant for riding and that is where they seem to be the most comfortable, so I am pleased. My only real concern is that they only offer impact protection from the front, so I will not be protected in any impact to the side of the leg. However, I would have had to pay not only more money for this, but also be willing to gain bulk and possible more discomfort, which I wasn't willing to do.

If you are looking for the same things that I was in a knee guard then I would recommend this one. However, if you are wanting more protection and/or have an above average knee/leg size then please stay away, as this isn't for you.

By the way, I am wearing the tube knee guards in the Preview 1 pic.

Last futzed with by AMMOCAN; March 18th, 2011 at 11:59 PM.
AMMOCAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2011, 05:08 AM   #18
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
lol, can I get another close up pic of the bag plastic? Seriously, I think I may buy a pair. How did you get them for $42?

Old March 19th, 2011, 01:31 PM   #19
AMMOCAN
SLIME-R

@ gfloyd2002 LOL! I was able to get them for $42 because I had earned $30 in Team RevZilla cash, which is one of the perks of buying from RevZilla.

I highly recommend purchasing through RevZilla when ever possible. They have outstanding customer service, free shipping, no tax, they will price match, and they have an amazing reward system (i.e. Team RevZilla cash). They also seem to have several warehouses around the U.S., as so far I have had my items ship from Philly, Visalia/Fresno, and San Francisco. The only reason why I personally wouldn't purchase anything from them is if they didn't have something I wanted or something that I needed right away. Other than that I have and will continue to purchase through them.

Old March 19th, 2011, 04:25 PM   #20
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
Agree on Revzilla. Great place to buy gear online, one of the top 2 or 3 for sure. Only thing keeping them from being the best is their returns policy. For non-store credit returns they only refund you 90% cash. Not a biggie if you plan on getting more gear, but Motorcyclegear.com has better returns.

Let me know how the limb tubes ride. Do they stay up well when you walk around in them, or do you have to readjust them upward?

Old March 19th, 2011, 08:38 PM   #21
AMMOCAN
SLIME-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
Let me know how the limb tubes ride. Do they stay up well when you walk around in them, or do you have to readjust them upward?
Didn't I include that in my review? Yep, sure did. Any how, they stayed in place perfectly while I was testing them out. I should be able to let you know how they fit while riding by next weekend if the weather is cleared up.

Old March 20th, 2011, 12:41 PM   #22
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMMOCAN View Post
Didn't I include that in my review? Yep, sure did. Any how, they stayed in place perfectly while I was testing them out. I should be able to let you know how they fit while riding by next weekend if the weather is cleared up.
Heh, you sure did. I was distracted by the pretty packaging pics. I'm about 75% sure I'm going to get a pair for commuting to replace my Icon Field Armor, which have started falling down while I'm walking.

Old March 20th, 2011, 04:03 PM   #23
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

First off, thanks for the in depth review. I am very interested in some of their products and am glad to hear they seem like a quality outfit. I think for me, its going to come down to buying the right stuff the first time to maximize cost savings, but review like this definately help. thumbs up.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2011, 02:57 AM   #24
AMMOCAN
SLIME-R

@ gfloyd2002:

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the pretty packaging pictures, lol. I am confident that if you read my review and find yourself fitting the same needs as I and have an average leg/knee size then you will be quite happy.

@ sharky nrk:

You are so very welcome. I am glad to have been of some help. I agree that ForceField does seem to be an absolute quality driven company. I also agree that one should buy the right stuff the first time around, which is why I am happy to know we have a great forum to share our wealth of knowledge with one another, so that each of us can have the info. needed to make a well informed purchase decision. I wish you the best.

Old March 27th, 2011, 12:01 AM   #25
AMMOCAN
SLIME-R

UPDATE:

Ok, so I rode in the rain with these on today. They not only kept that part of my leg dry and warm, but were very comfortable as well. They didn't restrict any of my movement and I didn't even notice I was wearing them. I didn't fall/crash today, so I can't vouch on how they handle an accident (don't want to either). However, I would recommend these to anyone who is looking for knee guards and that has an average size leg per my review up top.

Thanx,

Last futzed with by AMMOCAN; March 27th, 2011 at 01:25 AM.
AMMOCAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2011, 12:25 AM   #26
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

I have some A*'s Knee/Shin Guards and while I am happy with them, especially since they are only $25/pr (last year's price), the two things I can't stand are:
1) The straps are too long, even for me, and I am a fairly large person and;
2) The lack of a strap for ABOVE the knee is irritating, as when I walk they do tend to slide.

In A*'s defense, though, these are intended to be worn with full riding boots at all times, and they give me no issues when I wear my boots. However, for more casual use, I wear my shoes (soon to be replaced with Icon SD4 boots) to ride in to work, I have issues with the knee pads sliding down a bit after I have walked for a while.

Anyway, the design of those knee pads you have gave me an idea. I love the A*'s pads and they are very inexpensive, but offer good protection. I think I may try to find some type of "sock" to pull over them for longer casual rides to help keep the pads in place.

Great review, by the way. I was intrigued by the gear, but I don't believe the pads would fit me.
Xoulrath is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2011, 01:34 AM   #27
AMMOCAN
SLIME-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoulrath View Post
I have some A*'s Knee/Shin Guards and while I am happy with them, especially since they are only $25/pr (last year's price), the two things I can't stand are:
1) The straps are too long, even for me, and I am a fairly large person and;
2) The lack of a strap for ABOVE the knee is irritating, as when I walk they do tend to slide.

In A*'s defense, though, these are intended to be worn with full riding boots at all times, and they give me no issues when I wear my boots. However, for more casual use, I wear my shoes (soon to be replaced with Icon SD4 boots) to ride in to work, I have issues with the knee pads sliding down a bit after I have walked for a while.

Anyway, the design of those knee pads you have gave me an idea. I love the A*'s pads and they are very inexpensive, but offer good protection. I think I may try to find some type of "sock" to pull over them for longer casual rides to help keep the pads in place.

Great review, by the way. I was intrigued by the gear, but I don't believe the pads would fit me.
I am glad to hear that you wear knee guards, but it sucks to hear you are not completely happy with them. I think you have the right idea about figuring out ways to improving the fit and function to more your liking, as you already have them and they weren't extremely expensive. Being that you are a bigger gentleman I wouldn't feel good about you taking the risk on purchasing the ForceField guards, as I am confident you would be unhappy.

I am glad you like my review, and it seems to have been helpful for you in more than one way, which is very good to hear. I would also suggest shortening your straps that are too long by cutting the excessive length off and then having the velcro sewn back on the remaining strap that you intend to use. It might also be helpful to figure out a way to add a strap to the top as well, but finding something to help keep it in place is a great idea and I think you are on the right track.

Good luck and please be sure to keep us updated.

Old March 27th, 2011, 08:44 AM   #28
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

I was thinking about simply adding more velcro to the existing straps to allow them to be strapped tighter, and then was considering possibly adding another strap above the knee. It would probably cost me around $15 based on a quick look of the material needed, including high-strength adhesive.

The "sock" idea seems so much faster and cheaper though. All I need to do is find a breathable material that I would be able to stand in the summer, and then simply slide it over the knee pads. One more step to getting gear on, but one that would take all of 30 seconds. I need to start looking.
Xoulrath is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2011, 06:59 PM   #29
AMMOCAN
SLIME-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoulrath View Post
I was thinking about simply adding more velcro to the existing straps to allow them to be strapped tighter, and then was considering possibly adding another strap above the knee. It would probably cost me around $15 based on a quick look of the material needed, including high-strength adhesive.

The "sock" idea seems so much faster and cheaper though. All I need to do is find a breathable material that I would be able to stand in the summer, and then simply slide it over the knee pads. One more step to getting gear on, but one that would take all of 30 seconds. I need to start looking.
Sounds good! I would definitely look into using Spandex or Lycra material for the sleeve/sock you will be placing over it to help keep it in place. Also, be careful what adhesive you choose, as most I have seen tend to either not work as well on fabric or make a real mess because fabric is quite porous compared to other materials and the adhesive just bleeds through.

Good luck and don't forget to make a thread discussing your fabrication process and end results.