Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old March 10th, 2013, 02:03 PM   #1
YORCHI
n00b

Name: Jorge

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 Ninja 250

HALP!! Loading bike into the back of a budget truck

I'm renting a 24 foot truck from Budget to move down to SoCal in a few weeks and the only way I can take all my vehicles and the bike is if I put the bike in the back of the truck with all of our stuff. The truck itself is more than big enough for all of our stuff including the bike but I'm just worried about how to tie it down safely.

That's what the inside of the truck should look like and it will have those slats of wood along the sides to tie things down. I was planning on putting all of our stuff in first, with the heaviest/largest things up front and then the bike at the very back. I bought 3 pairs of cambuckle tie downs and 1 pair of ratchet tie downs to try and over do it. I was told the best way is to put tension to the front and floor but by having the bike towards the back of the truck I can't put any tension on it to the front, only to the sides as low as the slats are, which isn't all the way to the floor.

Basically I'm wondering if I'm doing this right or not. I know it's not ideal, but considering my circumstances I think it's the best method. I want to put 4 straps on each side so that if one or two lose tension the other ones can keep the bike up. I feel like it'll be secure from the side to side wiggles, but it's the forward and bike that I'm worried about. I'm also worried about the stuff sliding too far back and hitting it but I think that's better than having the stuff behind the bike and then slamming into it if I have to stop quickly. I'm only going to drive the truck full from my place to the weigh scale which is a few blocks away and then going straight on the freeway after that. What should I worry about? Should I stop every 50 miles and check on the straps? Am I going to be okay with how I'm planning on doing it or should I rearrange everything inside like a big Tetris game so the bike is surrounded by all our stuff?

#KCCO
YORCHI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2013, 04:27 PM   #2
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
is the floor wood? if so i would screw "U" hooks directly into it. 2 up front one each side at good angle. tie downs from bars or part of triple to these. back is not as important do whatever.

on side note, get 2 friends who r not pansies to help u load the bike, think it out dont be stupid.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2013, 04:33 PM   #3
YORCHI
n00b

Yea I'm definitely having friends help me. Because the truck is a rental I don't know what I can screw into it to help me out. Good idea though, I'll definitely ask them when I pick it up.

#KCCO

Old March 10th, 2013, 04:40 PM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
1st option - Ask if you can do 3 or 4 eyebolts into the floor.
2nd option - Build a crate, simple and effective and zero alterations to the truck.

Get help loading it up the ramp. Don't be one of "those guys". Good luck with the move and enjoy the new digs.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2013, 04:47 PM   #5
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

I would go ahead and buy a wheel chock from Harbor Freight [like this one] Bolt it down to some 1/2 or 3/4 plywood to give it a strong base. This will help keep the bike from swaying and from there just strap it forward and down to keep it from moving too much. To keep the least amount of movement, put the bike towards the front.

Another thing I have heard some people do is use a mattress in between the bike and one of the walls and strap it that way. If you do this, you may want to consider running a ratchet tie down from wall to wall to relieve some of the deflection on the wall.

Also, some box-truck rental places [at least U-haul] don't allow you to rent a truck if they know you're going to put a motorcycle in it, so bear that in mind when you go to rent it!
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2013, 06:02 PM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Simply park the bike against the right front corner, using the side stand and some cushions between the wall and the right side of the bike.

Lock the steering, push the front tire against the front wall of the box and block or chain the rear tire, so the bike cannot backup.

It is just a move, not a race.

Watch many ways of how not to load/unload a bike using a ramp:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=121630

For more ideas, see:

http://www.alliedspecialproducts.com...e_DS_cover.jpg

http://www.platinum-moving.com/sites...ages/car11.jpg

http://roadcaptainusa.com/wp-content.../04/obx445.JPG

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...0/a5133a72.jpg

Last futzed with by Motofool; March 10th, 2013 at 07:39 PM.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2013, 06:13 PM   #7
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
1st option - Ask if you can do 3 or 4 eyebolts into the floor.
2nd option - Build a crate, simple and effective and zero alterations to the truck.

Get help loading it up the ramp. Don't be one of "those guys". Good luck with the move and enjoy the new digs.
Great idea, if you can't bolt directly to floor of truck just build a base to bolt to. Piece of plywood would work great.

Old March 10th, 2013, 07:15 PM   #8
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

The crate is the best idea, although it doesn't need to be a full crate, just a frame at the bottom that you can strap the bike down to. Make it out of a full piece of plywood and it shouldn't flip or anything, if you are really worried about it figure out a way to put some other heavy stuff on it to keep it secure.
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2013, 07:39 PM   #9
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I second the crate-base idea. I think that's the best idea that won't be permanent to the truck.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2013, 07:49 PM   #10
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoSS View Post
The crate is the best idea, although it doesn't need to be a full crate, just a frame at the bottom that you can strap the bike down to. Make it out of a full piece of plywood and it shouldn't flip or anything, if you are really worried about it figure out a way to put some other heavy stuff on it to keep it secure.
just cut plywood to width of inside of truck and u have no lateral movement. and can still put other crap on it

Old March 10th, 2013, 07:56 PM   #11
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Quote:
Yea, just nail together some old heavy duty pallets with some scrap 2x4's and boom, there is your crate.

Old March 11th, 2013, 07:22 AM   #12
YORCHI
n00b

Thanks for the awesome ideas guys! Gonna stop by home depot today and see how much a sheet of plywood is. I didn't even think about that lol

My wife suggested building a crate for it but I think the plywood idea is the best if the truck company doesn't let me screw those bolts into the actual floor of the truck.

#KCCO

Old March 11th, 2013, 02:15 PM   #13
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by YORCHI View Post
Thanks for the awesome ideas guys! Gonna stop by home depot today and see how much a sheet of plywood is. I didn't even think about that lol

My wife suggested building a crate for it but I think the plywood idea is the best if the truck company doesn't let me screw those bolts into the actual floor of the truck.
Don't get plywood, get osb, it's a lot cheaper. It's also a lot weaker, but you are going to want to reinforce it anyway, use some 2x4, you should be able to get the osb, the 2x4, and the eye hooks for under 20 dollars.

Old March 11th, 2013, 02:20 PM   #14
algs26
ninjette.org guru

Name: al

Motorcycle(s): ex300, gave up looking for a 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
just cut plywood to width of inside of truck and u have no lateral movement. and can still put other crap on it
I like this idea.

Also what about swinging by the dealers and seeing if they have any leftover crates from new sales.
algs26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2013, 02:36 PM   #15
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
haven't bothered reading the thread but in response to OP, get a set of "canyon dancer" tie down bar harness, park the bike straight in on a baxley and tie the bars down to the front.

Old March 11th, 2013, 02:46 PM   #16
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by algs26 View Post
I like this idea.

Also what about swinging by the dealers and seeing if they have any leftover crates from new sales.
That might be one of the best ideas if they still have anything.

Old March 11th, 2013, 02:47 PM   #17
YORCHI
n00b

I called the truck rental place and they said I can't screw anything to the truck or the floor so I'm going to just load the bike in first to the very front right of the truck, put the kickstand down and lock the wheel and then ratchet tie the right side of the bike to the side of the truck. Then I'm going to put our mattress around the bike and put all of our blankets between the bike and the truck on the right side. Then I'll load everything else around the bike and make sure nothing is higher than the bike so it won't slide off and smack into it. It'll be fine I think as long as I drive very carefully which I will and the worst that could happen is something smacking into the bike and dinging it but I don't think it will since the bike will be covered in blankets and comforters

Thanks for the ideas guys! I'll post up pictures if I can to help someone out in the future.

#KCCO

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 11th, 2013, 02:50 PM   #18
YORCHI
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
haven't bothered reading the thread but in response to OP, get a set of "canyon dancer" tie down bar harness, park the bike straight in on a baxley and tie the bars down to the front.
Yeah thanks for the suggestion. A friend of mine is going to give me his that he doesn't use anymore

#KCCO

Old March 11th, 2013, 03:08 PM   #19
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
I called the truck rental place and they said I can't screw anything to the truck or the floor so I'm going to just load the bike in first to the very front right of the truck, put the kickstand down and lock the wheel and then ratchet tie the right side of the bike to the side of the truck. Then I'm going to put our mattress around the bike and put all of our blankets between the bike and the truck on the right side. Then I'll load everything else around the bike and make sure nothing is higher than the bike so it won't slide off and smack into it. It'll be fine I think as long as I drive very carefully which I will and the worst that could happen is something smacking into the bike and dinging it but I don't think it will since the bike will be covered in blankets and comforters

Thanks for the ideas guys! I'll post up pictures if I can to help someone out in the future.
i really would not do it that way, but to each their own.

Old March 11th, 2013, 03:09 PM   #20
250rr
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

Quote:
Yeah thanks for the suggestion. A friend of mine is going to give me his that he doesn't use anymore
Good choice. I have a set of those. I have hauled two bikes with them. No such thing as fool-proof, but pretty close.

One word of caution: Don't cinch down the dancers to the point where you bottom out the shock. You can ruin your seals doing that. Plus, you want to have the bike to have a little 'give' when you hit that unexpected pothole.
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2013, 03:13 PM   #21
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
......Then I'm going to put our mattress around the bike and put all of our blankets between the bike and the truck on the right side...........
Don't forget to protect the mattress and blankets from oil stains, using some plastic sheets or bags.

Even if the bike looks clean, some oil and dirt remains there waiting for something clean to touch it.

Big trash bags are good for protecting cushions and folded blankets.

Let the engine and exhaust pipe cool down some also.

Don't tie anything to the throttle !!!

Old March 11th, 2013, 03:15 PM   #22
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
in my experience, putting it on the side stand is the worst thing you can do for transporting.

Old March 11th, 2013, 03:15 PM   #23
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250rr View Post
Good choice. I have a set of those. I have hauled two bikes with them. No such thing as fool-proof, but pretty close.

One word of caution: Don't cinch down the dancers to the point where you bottom out the shock. You can ruin your seals doing that. Plus, you want to have the bike to have a little 'give' when you hit that unexpected pothole.
they make these things called "fork savers"

Old March 11th, 2013, 03:29 PM   #24
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
i really would not do it that way, but to each their own.
Me neither. Just too much that could go wrong.

I'd stick with using a base that you can tie it down to.

Old March 11th, 2013, 04:00 PM   #25
YORCHI
n00b

I can't use the base though because the truck company won't let me anchor it down to the floor of the truck. So unless I put it up in the corner and find another way to stop it from sliding around, it'll just be like a sled that's free to shift around as it wants. I don't have the tools or workspace to build a crate and I'm trying to keep all the expenses down or else I'd be better off just paying someone from uship to move it for me. I also won't have all the time in the world to bring the truck home and fabricate something to make it work...I wish I did but I don't

What if I stand it straight up so I don't keep it on the side stand and tie the straps from the right side of the bike directly to the right side of the truck, and then tie from the left side of the bike also to the right side of the truck? That way I can keep the front wheel on a wheel chock and minimize the load on the suspension. I can probably strap a few big sturdy boxes behind and next to the bike so if something does slide it'll hit the boxes instead of the bike.

Ugh this is frustrating, out of everything we're moving (2 cars, 1 bike, 4 rooms, furniture, electronics, valuables) this part is the one giving me the biggest headaches...

It's funny, only here am I getting advice about being super careful and safe and everyone I talk to in person tells me it's such a little bike I can just prop it against a mattress and put a blanket around it lol

Oh yeah the bike will be thoroughly washed, gas tank empty, and oil drained prior to being loaded. I'm gonna have about 4 people help me load everything so it won't be an issue to walk it up the ramp and put it where it's gonna go.

I really appreciate all the tips, I'm reading everything and trying to visualize in my head how to do it.

#KCCO

Old March 11th, 2013, 04:06 PM   #26
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
step 1: buy $50 baxley from harbor freight.
step 2: put bike on baxley in the center of the cargo area, facing forward.
step 3: (optional) if you don't care about the truck (you don't), forget that they said you couldn't bolt anything in, screw the baxley to the floor.
step 4: use bar harness (<-- optional, you can just strap the triple but the bar harness is nicer) and strap the bars down to both front corners of the truck.
step 5: ...
step 6: profit.

Old March 11th, 2013, 04:27 PM   #27
YORCHI
n00b

I thought about that Alex but what about the rest of our stuff? Do I put it along the sides and let it interfere with the straps? What if something slides into a strap and causes it to lose it's hold?

And yea they said I couldn't screw anything down and I really don't wanna pay for any stupid repairs they'd make me pay for if something were to go wrong or a bolt/screw come loose and leave a nice sized hole for them to see lol

I found a company that makes custom crates here in the area, if I can get them to build me a base and the sides for incredibly cheap then I'll go with that.

#KCCO

Old March 11th, 2013, 05:00 PM   #28
GreenNinja
ninjette.org guru

Name: I'm a ninja!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

If your vehicle is packed tight, then you shouldn't worry about it shifting. If you put it on the motorcycle chocks and surround it with big objects first to take up all the space then it should not shift. You won't need to screw it down to the moving truck unless you want to pay them thousands of dollars for the repairs. Just because they don't notice it right away doesn't mean they still can't charge you for it. If all else fails, leave the bike at a friends, come back with your wife and then ride it down
GreenNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2013, 05:18 PM   #29
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
I thought about that Alex but what about the rest of our stuff? Do I put it along the sides and let it interfere with the straps? What if something slides into a strap and causes it to lose it's hold?

And yea they said I couldn't screw anything down and I really don't wanna pay for any stupid repairs they'd make me pay for if something were to go wrong or a bolt/screw come loose and leave a nice sized hole for them to see lol

I found a company that makes custom crates here in the area, if I can get them to build me a base and the sides for incredibly cheap then I'll go with that.
it wont interfere with the straps as they will be tight. it wont "lose its hold" if its properly secured with hooks to a secure position. ideally all your **** isn't tossing around back there anyway

you could also just bolt the baxley to a 2x4 that is the width of the truck. use ties as well, but it shouldn't move much if its in a baxley and tied. as far as the other stuff... stick a towel under your windshield and fold the mirrors in. nothing else should break. unless you are talking about dropping steel weights on the gas tank.

Old March 11th, 2013, 05:34 PM   #30
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Ok. Let's do this nice and simple. Go down to lowes, buy 3 8 foot 2x4s, and one piece of osb board, 4x8. If you need to, buy a 10 dollar hand saw and have them cut one of the 2x4s down to size so you can build the frame. A 2x4 tends to be about 1 3/4 inches, so you would want them to cut it to 44.5 inches. (2 pieces)

Nail the thing together, just a simple frame on the bottom of the osb board, screw in the eyebolts, and tie it to the frame. I wouldn't worry about it sliding, but you can have stuff around it to block it in. If you are still worried about it (I wouldn't worry about it, just drive conservatively) you can put some stuff on the empty parts of your base to help weigh it down.

You aren't used to driving a vehicle this size, and I'm assuming you are also using it to tow one of your cars, so you should be driving carefully anyway. You aren't going to be taking corners really hard or anything like that, it isn't enough weight to flip a base that size.

The other option, if you are towing one vehicle and presumably driving the other, are they both cars or could one of them tow the bike on a trailer?

Old March 11th, 2013, 05:40 PM   #31
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Wait, you live in Sacramento, why don't you post a thread asking for help in Sacramento, I would bet that there is someone in Sacramento who would be willing to swing by with a hammer, a saw, a drill, and the appropriate bits to make sure that it is put together properly. If you lived closer to me (I'm 200 miles away) I'd swing by and do it myself.

Old March 11th, 2013, 07:16 PM   #32
YORCHI
n00b

Again, I really appreciate all the help and tips...and yes, I'm very paranoid about this...it's a lot of things to be worried about and I've never trailered a bike before in my life so I'm a total newb.

The truck will be towing my wife's xB on a tow dolly and she's going to drive our other car, my Explorer. If U-Haul would rent me the motorcycle dolly I'd be all set but they won't so that's why I'm stuck here trying to figure it out. I know I'm most likely really over thinking this, and my buddy who rides lots of dirt bikes and trailers his stuff around all the time is gonna help me so I'm just gonna let him use his best judgement when it comes time to load it all up.

I'll put up pictures when it's all done, the move is still a few weeks away so it's not an emergency yet but it's just my OCD kicking in that wants to have a plan for everything well in advance

#KCCO

Old March 11th, 2013, 08:02 PM   #33
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
Again, I really appreciate all the help and tips... that's why I'm stuck here trying to figure it out. I know I'm most likely really over thinking this.......
You are welcome.

Yes, you are thinking about the thing too much, Jorge.

Nothing like loading the bike into the truck and see in-site what works and what not.

Your friend has some experience, then, there is nothing to worry about.

Believe me, there will not be a lot of forces trying to rip your bike away from the truck.
The worst forces are the small and repetitive ones, EDIT: which can grind one surface against another or can fatigue weak parts under cycling bending, all due to the natural oscillations and vibrations of a long trip.
Be attentive of all contact points and place some sort of cushion between the surfaces.
Also avoid contact points on thin shells or slender parts that could break due to fatigue (see next link).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatigue_(material)

Since you have high points of anchorage on the walls of the box, consider that hanging (with ropes, straps or belts) is self-stabilizing EDIT: (and less obstructing of floor storage area / See link below), while struts and columns are not (In other words: semi-hanging the bike requires less material than supporting it from the wall and floor).

http://ofb.net/~sethml/motorcycle/vs...g-wide-big.jpg

Worse scenario, you can put the thing on its side over some soft surface, since she will be dry.

Last futzed with by Motofool; March 12th, 2013 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Add new ideas to fifth paragraph

Old March 12th, 2013, 05:49 AM   #34
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Again, I really appreciate all the help and tips...and yes, I'm very paranoid about this...it's a lot of things to be worried about and I've never trailered a bike before in my life so I'm a total newb.

The truck will be towing my wife's xB on a tow dolly and she's going to drive our other car, my Explorer. If U-Haul would rent me the motorcycle dolly I'd be all set but they won't so that's why I'm stuck here trying to figure it out. I know I'm most likely really over thinking this, and my buddy who rides lots of dirt bikes and trailers his stuff around all the time is gonna help me so I'm just gonna let him use his best judgement when it comes time to load it all up.

I'll put up pictures when it's all done, the move is still a few weeks away so it's not an emergency yet but it's just my OCD kicking in that wants to have a plan for everything well in advance
Think this one through, man. You have two tow vehicles, and you need two trailers. Just rent two trailers and pull everything down.

step 1. Go to Uhaul
step 2. Tell them you are making two trips over the weekend with the rental truck and will require a separate trailer for each trip, as you have multiple vehicles to tow south
step 3. Profit.

Old March 12th, 2013, 06:50 AM   #35
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Please, @YORCHI, see my edited post #33 above.

Yes, I was dreaming about your problem and had fresh ideas this morning (maybe not too good, but fresh).

Old March 12th, 2013, 07:21 AM   #36
Reyno2ac
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): Red 2009 Ninja 650r

Why won't they rent a motorcycle dolly to you?
Reyno2ac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2013, 07:25 AM   #37
YORCHI
n00b

Quote:
Think this one through, man. You have two tow vehicles, and you need two trailers. Just rent two trailers and pull everything down.

step 1. Go to Uhaul
step 2. Tell them you are making two trips over the weekend with the rental truck and will require a separate trailer for each trip, as you have multiple vehicles to tow south
step 3. Profit.
U-Haul won't rent me anything because of my Explorer...that and my wife doesn't want to tow anything while she drives it so this is still my only option.

I did an inventory of all the blankets and comforters we have, as well as all the stuffed animals my kid has and I have more than enough to create a super comfy safety barrier around the bike.

I'm gonna go look at the actual truck itself later today to see where the tie down boards are and how low they are. If they're fairly low enough to the floor then that'll be good so I can tie the bike downwards and upwards with all the straps I'll be using. This is also why I'm getting the 24' truck so I have more than enough room and don't need to stack anything above waist level. I could probably get away with a 16' truck and pack everything tight but I'd rather be on the safe side and have room than to be super packed and possibly not have enough room.

#KCCO

Old March 12th, 2013, 07:27 AM   #38
YORCHI
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyno2ac View Post
Why won't they rent a motorcycle dolly to you?
U-Haul won't rent any trailers or dollys to anyone that will use a Ford Explorer to tow it. It has something to do with the tire problems they were having a while ago and the cost of defending people in court.

#KCCO

Old March 12th, 2013, 07:34 AM   #39
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-exp...e-debacle.html

Old March 12th, 2013, 03:08 PM   #40
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
U-Haul won't rent me anything because of my Explorer...that and my wife doesn't want to tow anything while she drives it so this is still my only option.

I did an inventory of all the blankets and comforters we have, as well as all the stuffed animals my kid has and I have more than enough to create a super comfy safety barrier around the bike.

I'm gonna go look at the actual truck itself later today to see where the tie down boards are and how low they are. If they're fairly low enough to the floor then that'll be good so I can tie the bike downwards and upwards with all the straps I'll be using. This is also why I'm getting the 24' truck so I have more than enough room and don't need to stack anything above waist level. I could probably get away with a 16' truck and pack everything tight but I'd rather be on the safe side and have room than to be super packed and possibly not have enough room.
You do what you want, but I would not strap the bike to the side of the truck. You are putting pressure on the fairings, and this is a good way to damage the bike, soft stuff or no soft stuff.

Tell them you want to pull the trailer with the rental truck, not your explorer, and with a trailer that short your wife won't even notice that it's there. (It's what, an extra 5 feet when changing lanes, and it tracks well enough she basically can ignore it while turning. As long as she doesn't back up, she's fine. If you won't build a base like everyone is recommending, lie and get the trailer.