ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old November 22nd, 2019, 09:14 PM   #1
aeromantis
ninjette.org newbie

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

Revs fluctuating when in gear and and standing still.

Hello, I have an '09 Ninja 250R EFI.

Whenever I stop, in gear whether it be first or second, with the clutch in, the revs will fluctuate rapidly between 1.9k and 2k.

This'll stop the moment I put it into neutral, or pull off.

Any insight is appreciated!
Thanks.
aeromantis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2019, 10:23 AM   #2
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Hi and welcome to Ninjette!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromantis View Post
with the clutch in, the revs will fluctuate rapidly between 1.9k and 2k.

This'll stop the moment I put it into neutral,
I think this indicates sticky clutch? Try tightening cable 1/2 turn (lengthen housing). Unscrew adjuster at lever-perch by 1/2 turn.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2019, 07:22 PM   #3
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Does seem odd that it would change when in-gear or neutral unless the clutch needed adjustment as Danno noted, but the mixture may be on the edge of being too lean or there could be a small vacuum leak.

Have you made any adjustments to the idle mixture screws?

Check the clamps on the manifold between the carb and head to make sure they are snug. Also look for small cracks in the rubber.

EDIT - I missed the part about the F.I. - so no idle mixture adjustments...

I would consider the fuel - how old is it? How long have you had the issue? Does it do it when hot, cold, or both?

Make sure the fuel is fresh and run a strong fuel system cleaner like Chevron Techron Concentrate now and once per season.

Check a Service Manual for the TPS setting and set it.

Last futzed with by jkv45; November 25th, 2019 at 08:15 AM.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2019, 08:38 PM   #4
aeromantis
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Hi and welcome to Ninjette!

I think this indicates sticky clutch? Try tightening cable 1/2 turn (lengthen housing). Unscrew adjuster at lever-perch by 1/2 turn.
Thanks, I'll give this a try at some point when I have time.

Old November 24th, 2019, 08:50 PM   #5
ducatiman

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromantis View Post
Hello, I have an '09 Ninja 250R EFI.
Whenever I stop, in gear whether it be first or second, with the clutch in, the revs will fluctuate rapidly between 1.9k and 2k.
This'll stop the moment I put it into neutral, or pull off.
Any insight is appreciated!
Thanks.
My new FI Honda may be designed to perform similar. YOU tell me whether the following scenario is same as yours.

Bike in gear, clutch lever fully pulled in ...normal idle RPM....RPM's rise a few hundred RPM only when clutch is nearly released, almost but not quite where grab occurs.....but at a point where the lever is actuating the clutch switch.

Its been described on a forum (the poster mentioned it being described in your UK Bike magazine) as a "throttle assist", works in conjunction with the lever mounted clutch safety switch to raise RPM to lessen the chance of stalling while easing clutch engagement.

RPM rise does not occur pulling/releasing clutch while in neutral. RPM rise occurs only in gear and RPM can be modulated with clutch pull via activating the switch at its certain point of engagement with clutch lever. So its programmed into the ECU by design.

That all make sense? This all sound like your scenario?

Gotta check my Honda manuals for further detail.
ducatiman is online now   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2019, 09:39 PM   #6
aeromantis
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiman View Post
My new FI Honda may be designed to perform similar. YOU tell me whether the following scenario is same as yours.

Bike in gear, clutch lever fully pulled in ...normal idle RPM....RPM's rise a few hundred RPM only when clutch is nearly released, almost but not quite where grab occurs.....but at a point where the lever is actuating the clutch switch.

Its been described on a forum (the poster mentioned it being described in your UK Bike magazine) as a "throttle assist", works in conjunction with the lever mounted clutch safety switch to raise RPM to lessen the chance of stalling while easing clutch engagement.

RPM rise does not occur pulling/releasing clutch while in neutral. RPM rise occurs only in gear and RPM can be modulated with clutch pull via activating the switch at its certain point of engagement with clutch lever. So its programmed into the ECU by design.

Unfortunately not, this is a new issue that cropped up fairly recently. It doesn't matter how much clutch is applied, it'll keep fluctuating until it reaches the biting point.

Old November 25th, 2019, 08:14 AM   #7
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Edited my previous post and added a couple suggestions.

Old November 25th, 2019, 11:02 AM   #8
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
@ducatiman I have no experience with EFI bikes, so I've never heard of that feature. That is really cool!
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 25th, 2019, 11:15 AM   #9
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiman View Post

Latest SV650 has that feature as well.

Old November 25th, 2019, 11:32 AM   #10
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Good to know. SV650 is on my radar for when I finally purchase a brand new motorcycle, anyway
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 25th, 2019, 06:57 PM   #11
ducatiman

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Latest SV650 has that feature as well.
Suzuki evidently calling it "low RPM assist".
ducatiman is online now   Reply With Quote