ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 4th, 2012, 04:41 PM   #1
gilmorec61
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Unhappy Nail In My Tire!

So i went over to one of my friends house today, and as i was leaving, he saw a nail in my rear tire ....I rode it home with it still in, but my question to you guys is now what ????? Do these tires have a tube in them? And i cant get a tube and do this myself because the tire has to be balanced correct?

Whats the best way i should go about fixing this?

Thanks ALOT.
gilmorec61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2012, 04:47 PM   #2
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

You gots to get a new tire! They are tubeless. And you can DIY with the right tools.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2012, 04:49 PM   #3
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilmorec61 View Post
So i went over to one of my friends house today, and as i was leaving, he saw a nail in my rear tire ....I rode it home with it still in, but my question to you guys is now what ????? Do these tires have a tube in them? And i cant get a tube and do this myself because the tire has to be balanced correct?

Whats the best way i should go about fixing this?

Thanks ALOT.
Tires are tubeless. You COULD get a tire plug kit, but I'm sure most people, including myself, would recommend you to just replace the tire completely.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #4
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Inspect your tire first. It may not be that bad and a repair may be possible if the tire is still somewhat new and usable. Most tire manufacturers recommend only permanent repairs to be performed from the inside of the tire, using a combination patch/plug method. Repairs from the outside are considered temporary and should be repaired from the inside as soon as possible. The Tech Uni-Seal® Repair Kit has also been marketed by Honda, Kawasaki, and Yamaha with their own part numbers.

A good shop should be able to do a competent and permanent repair job. It could be cheaper than buying a new tire if it's not necessary.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2012, 06:29 PM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Depends on where the nail is/was, how much life the tires had anyway, and how clean the damage was. Yes, it's sometimes possible to plug a tire. Yes, it's always a safer bet to just replace the tire, but that's something the rider has to decide for themselves. A bunch of "nail in my tire!" threads below:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=53032
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=83786
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=77787
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=87676

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2012, 06:59 PM   #6
gilmorec61
ninjette.org guru

Okay, how much around would a shop charge to do that? And on CL, someone is selling their oem front and rear tires with 200 miles on them for 60, would it be better to do that? I think my rear tire might have a few k left on them, not positive. But thanks for all the responses so far guys, really appreciate it!

Old February 4th, 2012, 07:01 PM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Most motorcycle shops don't patch tires.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2012, 09:40 PM   #8
gilmorec61
ninjette.org guru

Darn.

Could i plug it myself, and be safe if i watched it(its the rear tire) if i used this tire repair kit?

Old February 4th, 2012, 09:42 PM   #9
gilmorec61
ninjette.org guru

Or maybe this would probabley be better, correct?

Old February 4th, 2012, 10:08 PM   #10
vince_2149
ninjette.org member

Name: Vincent

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

I never fail to get a nail in a rear tire somewhere between 500-1000 miles after installation, so if I were to always change them out I'd have more money in tires than in the bike. I use this instead:
http://www.stopngo.com/
They use mushroom plugs so they seal from the inside out and they work wonderfully for holes in the middle of the tread. I've used them on 3 rear tires that have lasted another 5k+ miles until I had to change them due to tire wear. I'm actually running one of these plugs on my 2012's IRCs. Got the nail at 1k miles and now have 2.5k miles on the rear tire and it hold air just fine and I run it at highway speeds for long periods multiple times a week. Hope this helps.
vince_2149 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2012, 10:11 PM   #11
indr
ninjette.org guru

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

Pull the nail

Buy this: http://www.slime.com/shop/atv-screwd...lug-kit-21032/
And this: http://www.slime.com/shop/plug-pack-2034-a/

Ream the hole and put in a sticky string. Cut off the excess. Go on a long ride to warm up the tire and melt the goo of the sticky string to ensure it seals the well.
indr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2012, 10:37 PM   #12
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
plugging a tire in an emergency is one thing. being cheap and not replacing a damaged tire is another.

Old February 5th, 2012, 10:41 PM   #13
smokinsingle
L8APEX

Name: CRA#33 EXPERT

Motorcycle(s): 07 KTM 950SMR, 06 KTM 450SMR, 99 KTM 300MXC, 00 Derbi GPR 50, 09 Ninja 250 racebike, race with www.cra-mn.org!

A plug on a bike is like a spare on a car, temporary use only!

Old February 5th, 2012, 11:28 PM   #14
indr
ninjette.org guru

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

While I haven't encountered a situation needing a plug to the tire yet myself, sites like ADVrider have tons of posts from members that have ran plugged tube-less tires, sometimes till they're worn. If you do a good job plugging the hole, I don't see how it's any different than running a plugged car tire.
indr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2012, 05:14 PM   #15
gilmorec61
ninjette.org guru

Hey all, thanks for all the help. I just found OEM front and rear tires on CL that only have 200 miles on them, and i'm going to pick both of them up for $60. Good deal? I think so, anyways hope to get them in a few days.

Another question, whats the best and cheapest way about putting on? I know I'm going to have to take it to someone...any tips?

Old February 6th, 2012, 05:42 PM   #16
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

I always plug tires for street use and then replace them before a track day. If I have time I'll pull the tire and patch from the inside, but honestly the snotstring plugs seem to be as good as anything. If a plug is done right, it'll last for thousands of miles. If a plug is done wrong, it will slowly lose pressure overnight or so....some people seem to think a plug is like filling your tire with nitroglycerine, but basic knowledge of tire construction should make it obvious that the process of a plug failing pretty much has to be less exciting than getting the nail in the first place, which you probably don't notice until a day afterwards anyway.
Posted via Mobile Device
Skippii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2012, 05:44 PM   #17
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

Also, balancing a tire is MUCH easier than removing or installing them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Skippii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2012, 06:26 PM   #18
miss_connie
~08 ninja 250~

Name: Connie

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250

I had a nail in my front tire and got many conflicting responses so I emailed Dunlop n they do not recommend pluging it urself but to take the tire to a tire repair facility where they will do a plug/patch combo.. this is a permant repair whereas just a plug is a temp fix..
miss_connie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #19
gilmorec61
ninjette.org guru

Hey all, thanks again for the help! So, i gotta her fixed! Found some stock IRC tires on cl, with not even 200 miles on them for $60, and thats front and back. I think it was a okay deal, didn't have money to upgrade, so these were fine. Anyways, just got back from a motorcycle shop and had them put it on the rim for me just to save me a whole days (literally) worth of work. And they got it done in 10 minutes....Anyways, feeling alot better with this new one, although with the plug i did in the last one, it held up great, and i think i would have been okay with it, but i didnt want to take chances(actually it was my mom).

Anyways, thanks again for all the help.

Heres a pic of the new tire, sorry its not too clear, took it with my phone
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0209121943.jpg (85.3 KB, 10 views)