ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old February 9th, 2016, 10:13 PM   #1
corksil
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

Dangit I really want a honda CBR600rr

There's one for sale (rare) on CL for $6k with 12k miles... And the 2015's are down at the local stealership for $12k new...

Unfortunately I don't have that kind of cash right now.

This is bollocks. When will it be my turn for a CBR600? I've wanted one ever since I turned 9 and nowadays they have dual fuel injectors per cylinder, EFI, and all kinds of stuff that make my heart rate increase.

I try not to think about those bikes because they cause seismic activity below my belt. I dare not ride one for fear that my life and finances will be re-prioritized in a direction that will help me acquire one.

What is a guy supposed to do with these powerful feelings.

Old February 9th, 2016, 11:04 PM   #2
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Put money into a savings account until you have enough?

I hope you get one. It's nice when a dream like that can happen.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2016, 11:18 PM   #3
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

Name: Abu Mishary Mohd Fairus

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250 SE 2015 (sold); Honda ADV160 (current)

MOTM - Jan '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by corksil View Post
There's one for sale (rare) on CL for $6k with 12k miles... And the 2015's are down at the local stealership for $12k new...

This is bollocks. When will it be my turn for a CBR600? I've wanted one ever since I turned 9 and nowadays they have dual fuel injectors per cylinder, EFI, and all kinds of stuff that make my heart rate increase.

I try not to think about those bikes because they cause seismic activity below my belt. I dare not ride one for fear that my life and finances will be re-prioritized in a direction that will help me acquire one.

Buy that darn thing when you have the liberty to own one without having the headache on thinking which will you prioritize. At least the ones you are looking at is rather cheap. Where I come from the approval permit and tax incurred to import one of these by an authorized dealer is around 70% to 100%, therefore the MRSP is colossal.

It's not about the bike you ride bro, neither the place you're going. It's the journey that counts.
Abu_Mishary is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2016, 11:21 PM   #4
Mechanikrazy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): Thruxton R, R6 450 triple, EX300 (sold)

Wait for the next generation of bikes to hopefully lower the price a bit?

The used market on CBRs went haywire between 2010 and now. It was weird coming back to riding and seeing people selling MY07's asking for more than I bought/sold mine 5 years earlier.
Mechanikrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2016, 11:31 PM   #5
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

MOTM - Jan '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by inapexveritas View Post
Wait for the next generation of bikes to hopefully lower the price a bit?

The used market on CBRs went haywire between 2010 and now. It was weird coming back to riding and seeing people selling MY07's asking for more than I bought/sold mine 5 years earlier.
Abu_Mishary is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2016, 12:19 AM   #6
jonuhhthinn
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 77' yamaha xs650 / 01' R6 / 08' ninja 250

i think you should save up to get what you really want. otherwise you'll end up buying things twice
jonuhhthinn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2016, 01:36 AM   #7
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Quiet sure this is the worst advice possibe...

Quote:

Old February 10th, 2016, 03:04 AM   #8
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Start taking all the spare cash you have and buying gold, silver, or whatever precious metal you wanna invest in. Stack it slowly, and it's like putting money in the bank, except your savings are tangible and in your own hands (store them well in case of burgulary), and when you have enough, cash out and buy the bike. It's money in a form that isn't easy to immediately access.

If you're more of a risktaker, you can do it with Bitcoin or other cyptocurrencies, too. I've been stacking $5 every month in Bitcoin and just stockpiling it. It's gone up a few bucks in price since I've started.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2016, 02:31 PM   #9
toEleven
Slower than you.

Name: toEleven

Motorcycle(s): CBR600RR, CB750, EX300 (半蔵)

MOTM - May '16
As a guy who rides one, my clearly biased opinion says your feelings are justified. Given the geographical distance, I'd venture my price comparison isn't very useful. The difference in price between your stealership figure and what I paid would buy me another ninjette !

Think of it like waves; you'll spot a great set or maybe the perfect one, but you won't always be set up to catch it. Just relax and go with the flow - it's not the last wave you'll see.

Old February 10th, 2016, 02:46 PM   #10
supersport
ninjette.org member

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

Yolo!

i would like the shiny toys now, not when i'm 80.
supersport is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2016, 12:02 PM   #11
HoneyBadgerRy

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250, 04 KTM 625 SMC, 01 Xc250

I have to admit, the CRB600 is a cool bike, but all my friends are honda fanboys, so I don't want to own a Honda. They always buy Hondas no matter how good or bad they are, and will talk down everything else.

Old February 11th, 2016, 12:09 PM   #12
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersport View Post
Yolo!
You know not everyone believes in one life

ps. sorry I never liked that acronym

Spoiler for topic:
It might just be the [you] tag
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2016, 12:55 PM   #13
Suki2003
Ninjette Lurker

Name: Peter

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja EX250 (Cafe, Naked, Wreckurrected)

Buy stocks grow your savings?

Jordon Bellfort style!!!
Suki2003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2016, 01:33 PM   #14
supersport
ninjette.org member

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFY View Post
You know not everyone believes in one life

ps. sorry I never liked that acronym
It means you're living right now, make it count, live to the fullest. No point wasting time on "what ifs", or what you could have done - no regrets.

Its not an excuse to live beyond your means or be a total jackass.
supersport is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2016, 01:47 PM   #15
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
I prefer
Carpe Diem

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2016, 01:47 PM   #16
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersport View Post
It means you're living right now, make it count, live to the fullest. No point wasting time on "what ifs", or what you could have done - no regrets.

Its not an excuse to live beyond your means or be a total jackass.
I understand what it means, it's like hearing the same new song on the radio after a while it gets dull. No offense towards you or you wanting to use it.

Spoiler for topic:
It might just be the [you] tag
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2016, 10:14 PM   #17
corksil

Dangit I still want a cbr6. Logic says another bike = more maintenance, more tires, more chains/sprockets, more money sunk into a machine that will die before I do. More fuel, more oil, more registration and insurance. More headache and hassle.

On the other hand it feels like the only time I'm truly living is when I'm on a bike and pushing it. Then again, logic says that it's illegal and expensive to get caught doing. I'll probably keep racing in circles inside my mind about this one for lack of anything more stimulating to occupy my thought process.

Buy a more powerful supersport, or build a supermoto.

Round and round he goes, his mind racing in circles. Going nowhere, but trying to get there in a hurry.

Last futzed with by corksil; February 13th, 2016 at 10:06 PM.
corksil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2016, 11:31 PM   #18
hfd1 tuner
ninjette.org member

Name: charles

Motorcycle(s): many mostly racebikes cbr565 fzr490 ex250ish

The cbr600rr is a great overall bike with some rear shock tinkering. It does go zoom faster and it sure eats tires. You need to find a older one like a 2008 race fitted one they are out there cheap. I have one that has been messed with too much but it does go good. But the truth is I like smaller bikes better something screams in my head on the bigger bikes that slows me up..hell I will be 50 this year so it is a wonder why I still do this stuff....ask a crackhead why they smoke it?????
hfd1 tuner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2016, 11:42 PM   #19
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

MOTM - Jan '17
None of our choices are logical if it were from different point of views. Some "car drivers" would say bikers are crazy, spending like a fortune for something that will get you soaked and wet during rain.

Some bikers of a certain "brand" would say their "choice is the best" and other brands are a load of crap.

We will think we need to prioritize what is important and what is not. Which is necessity and which is desire. But if you really want it, you will make it work irregardless of how insane it is or trying to fulfill what people would think of us.

A good friend of mine did two jobs just to ensure that he could own a bike. His was financially unstable for a loan from banks nor credit companies therefore resorted to dealership credit scheme. The interest per annum rate is around 10%-12%. He did that because of he really wanted it and did not mind working his arse off. He rode that bike daily. Changed the rear tire three times in a year. That made him happy.

Old February 12th, 2016, 12:05 PM   #20
HoneyBadgerRy

Quote:
On the other hand it feels like the only time I'm truly living is when I'm on a bike and pushing it. Then again, logic says that it's illegal and expensive to get caught doing.
That that is why I plan on always keeping a 250, its illegal to push a 1000, but they sure are fun. You can beat on a 250 and barley brake the law.

Old February 13th, 2016, 01:54 AM   #21
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadgerRy View Post
I have to admit, the CRB600 is a cool bike, but all my friends are honda fanboys, so I don't want to own a Honda. They always buy Hondas no matter how good or bad they are, and will talk down everything else.
dumb reason to not buy what yo want.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2016, 11:16 AM   #22
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

I love supermoto. Or the racing discipline at least. I will add that a supermoto isn't a magic bullet for fun or hooligan antics. There seems to be this serious misconception that owning a supermoto will turn you into this wheelie popping, slide it into every corner, staircase jumping king.

Wheelies take a lot of practice to be consistent. It took me 6 months to get comfortable sitting at a balance point and shifting through the gears. Mind you I mostly do it on the Ducati and I really don't want to make another insurance claim on an expensive bike. Backing it in requires a lot of corner entry speed and is actually a product of heavy front braking and slipping the clutch and a hint of rear brake to get the bike to start rotating. A year of racing dirt track is why I can slide a dirt bike or supermoto bike to the apex of a corner. Same thing applies to a street bike. Most amateur racers aren't backing it in. Again it's a lot of practice. And riding over curbs and launching off of stair cases? You'll get tired of the dents in your wheels and unless you did any real off road riding most would **** their pants trying to pull off any stunts.

The reality of what I've seen: someone buys a supermoto and realizes that it sucks riding it over 70 mph. It's really windy, the aerodynamics are horrible causing the bike to feel super slow. A ninja 250 destroys a drz400 in terms of acceleration and speed after 70ish mph. Or freeway speeds whatever. The fuel range sucks. Having a 2.1 gallon tank means frequent gas stops. Did I mention that they are slow? Unless it's a big bore bike it's gonna be slow. Just understand that it won't be this giant step up from your 250. Lateral at best. You will feel awkward turning it. Yea. You can ride it road racing style or foot out like a motocrosser. The front end feeling on dirt bikes is vague but they give a lot of warning before losing the front. That freaks a lot of people out who hang off.

Then there is the chance that you'll spend thousands of dollars on this supermoto bike only to realize that it sucks at dirt riding and 90% of what makes a good street bike a good street bike. And when you're 6 or 7k into the thing you'll hate it and go buy an actual decent street bike like a street triple R, an fz09, or a ktm superduke.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2016, 01:03 PM   #23
toEleven
Slower than you.

MOTM - May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleCam303 View Post
The reality of what I've seen: someone buys a supermoto and realizes that it sucks riding it over 70 mph. It's really windy, the aerodynamics are horrible causing the bike to feel super slow. A ninja 250 destroys a drz400 in terms of acceleration and speed after 70ish mph. Or freeway speeds whatever. The fuel range sucks. Having a 2.1 gallon tank means frequent gas stops.
Sounds like a lot of what you see are people who buy first and ask questions later.
Help us/me benefit more from your experience:
  • Under what circumstances might you recommend a supermoto (or minimoto) to a street/track/asphalt only rider?
  • Edit to add: would your view change in the case of a rider without a dirt/MX background?
  • The OP mentions building a SM, but would you suggest going that route, acquiring one of the seemingly rare factory options, or perhaps buying one someone else has already built?

Old February 15th, 2016, 05:44 PM   #24
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

Quote:
Originally Posted by toEleven View Post
Sounds like a lot of what you see are people who buy first and ask questions later.
Help us/me benefit more from your experience:
  • Under what circumstances might you recommend a supermoto (or minimoto) to a street/track/asphalt only rider?
  • Edit to add: would your view change in the case of a rider without a dirt/MX background?
  • The OP mentions building a SM, but would you suggest going that route, acquiring one of the seemingly rare factory options, or perhaps buying one someone else has already built?
I appreciate you asking good questions. I've seen the OP post a few ideas. For his case I think a sumo is potentially a really bad route. Simply for the fact that it isn't everyone's cup of tea.

1. Do you strictly ride a motorcycle for pleasure? A super moto is a toy. The more fun it is, the more temperamental and more focused it will be. Do you mind wrenching? It will need frequent oil changes and they need to be looked over a lot. Some bikes are the exception to this rule. Example a drz400. Do you have a lot of local twisty roads that are extremely tight with straight away speeds under 60mph? That is the only situation a super moto shines. Anything faster and you will hate life. Do you have a go kart track nearby that allows motorcycles to be out there? Then you have a couple options of getting something really focused for performance or not street legal at all and learning a whole bunch. I'm a huge fan of mini moto and its benefits. So much so that I want to try opening up a schooling program for it. Yes I believe in it that much.

2. This is a hard question to answer. A dirt rider will feel natural with the position. Dirt riders take to all aspects of motorcycling faster than the conventional street rider. With that said, most dirt riders are just average in ability on the dirt and riding a road oriented bike will feel foreign to them. It's not surprising to see them take bad lines. I can teach the proper body position for dirt track and classic super moto riding. It's the complete opposite of road riding. Also, you didn't ask this but it's worth noting as its related. Street riders have a very steep learning curve for dirt riding verses dirt riders going to pavement. The 17s with hi performance tires on them, really strong front brakes, and the stiffer suspensions, don't forget they don't have as much clearance as a they would with dirt wheels on; it makes a super moto very difficult to do any kind of real dirt riding opposed to a fire access dirt road or an obstacle free single track. You won't be launching over rock gardens and climbing rutted out hills. It's a compromise. The more dirt oriented a bike becomes the less effective it is on the street. Even the gearing will be different. A great super moto bike on the asphalt is a nightmare in the dirt. There are more reasons why one would want a more specific tool for the job.

3. Hawaii doesn't have as strict of emission regulations as other states. Building a supermoto would yield a cool custom build that you can't purchase. Problem with building these bikes is that there is a lot the OP can get wrong. And just like buying racing equipment, the used market is way cheaper. You'll spend thousands converting a dirt bike to street use. There is just no way around it. The wheels, brakes, tires, suspension, the street legal stuff it adds up fast. Buying what the manufacturers have produced is the best option. But again, you're paying super sport prices for a really compromised focused tool. A KTM 690sm ain't cheap. The OP is still super sport dreaming (super sports are dumb in the street, not because they are too fast, they just are crappy street bikes).

The drz400s, wr250x, klx250sf are budget, beginner oriented, frugal machines. There is no ridiculous motor, crazy magura brake system, sexy aluminum frame, marchesini wheels... They are reliable boring bikes.

If I were going to buy a street legal supermoto bike, it would be either the KTM 690sm, or the new husqvarna 701 (same bike different manufacture branding) or really the Aprilia SXV550. Most likely the Aprilia because it's insane.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2016, 10:09 PM   #25
corksil

I've been thinking a lot lately. (uh oh)

Also have put a few hundred miles on a DR650 which weighs into the decision making process.

As well as a few hundred miles on a CRF230.

Street miles on both.

Also drag raced a DR650 with a bigger carb (otherwise stock) with my 250r, and the 250r (w/engine work) walked away from the DR650 like it was tied to a post.

Have also spent a lot of time researching the DR650 and looking into it as a viable next project. From my research -- the DR650 seems to be one of the most economical bikes to ride. Lots of power means relatively infrequent service intervals. Common chain size, cheap to replace. Tires relatively inexpensive. Good for 80mph highway commuting, and enough torque down low to be acceptable for infrequent off-roading.

DR650 complaints -- it's heavy. Doesn't tip in easily unless you really man handle it. Fuel consumption was roughly 40mpg, 110 miles per tank. Vibration, and lots of it. Wind resistance above 70mph. Ape-hanger bars. Massive 21" front wheel with lots of upright gyro affect. Spongy front forks and very little front end brake feel. Footpegs feel far too forward and it feels like I'm sitting "on" the bike instead of riding it. Finally, bike feels twitchy at speed with such wide bars -- short shifting the bike at full launch speed makes it wobble during gear upshifts.

Then again I found one for a cheap price w/36k miles on it. Street legal!

After a bit of research I've gleaned that stiff front forks, and a much smaller 16/17" front rim make it tip in a lot easier without 'falling' into turns. A 790cc bore kit and race cam w/oversized carb will add more low end torque without losing high-rpm HP.

After putting another 100 miles on a [stock] DR650 today my perspective has changed. All of the stuff that originally put me off about the bike has become stuff that could be dialed in and tweaked to make it more agreeable. Almost finished mounting new tires and EBC floating rotor on the 250r so soon it will be back on the road and I'll put some more seat time on the 250r which is nearing 30k miles.

Bottom line is that I need a new project. I've taken the 250r as far as it can go with mods and upgrades. It will stay in the stable because I'd never get a 1/10th of what I have into it if I were to sell it and its fun to ride. On the other hand it's kind of like a friend who's become all too familiar. You know what they will say before they open their mouth. It's comfortable in a way, but boring.

Maybe some day I will grow up and move on to different things, but for now it feels that bikes are all I have for enjoyment.

Old February 15th, 2016, 10:19 PM   #26
corksil

Also rode an SV550, and there's one available for an outrageous price with only 620mi. Nice machine, but I'm scared of the service intervals and being so hotly tuned from aprillia -- they are finicky.

-09' 7k aprillia sv500 (600mi)
-02' 2k suzuki dr650 (36k mi)
-07' 5k honda 450r supermoto (unknown condition but with supermoto wheels/oversized brakes)

The dr650 is cheapest by far and has lots of potential. The aprillia, nice raw power -- but limited because it will never be capable of 'more' than what it is due to it's race tuned nature. Finally the honda 450, already 'set up' for street riding -- and with a healthy discount on all the aftermarket supermoto parts the PO has already mortgaged his house to afford, but 'limited' on power because it will never have more displacement than 450cc.

Old February 15th, 2016, 11:33 PM   #27
Baron
Urban Legend

Name: Baron

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE - Circe

I kind of know what you are talking about. At the end of my first season
Me : I won't need to upgrade, I'll be good with what I have....I don't know why people cry about bigger bikes

Life :

So this past season I rode a 2013 6R, a 2009 R6, a 2010 10R, an 899 Panigale, and the S1000RR.....yeah needless to say that I was getting weak in the knees for a bigger bike but then .....came university.....and the life of a student...finances went down faster than my knees infront of a S1000RR.
Insurance and other factors were there too.
So bottomline, got to play the waiting game mate.

Old February 16th, 2016, 06:13 AM   #28
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Why do you give a crap what other people think?

Maybe it's just an age thing. I stopped caring what other people think of my choices, appearance, etc. long ago. Life's too short to give control of it to others.

Think for yourself and get the bike that moves YOU, not the one that will win approval from your friends.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2016, 07:27 AM   #29
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

I have an 09 w/20k on it I'm selling for 5k.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2016, 07:53 AM   #30
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
I have an 09 w/20k on it I'm selling for 5k.
Such a deal. And it's only 4,900 miles from corksil....

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2016, 08:29 AM   #31
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post
I kind of know what you are talking about. At the end of my first season
Me : I won't need to upgrade, I'll be good with what I have....I don't know why people cry about bigger bikes

Life :

So this past season I rode a 2013 6R, a 2009 R6, a 2010 10R, an 899 Panigale, and the S1000RR.....yeah needless to say that I was getting weak in the knees for a bigger bike but then .....came university.....and the life of a student...finances went down faster than my knees infront of a S1000RR.
Insurance and other factors were there too.
So bottomline, got to play the waiting game mate.
Here's how to pass the time while waiting: head North on 10 to Belfountain. When you can strafe Knee down on that beautiful little road called the Forks ( something like that!) then you're ready for a litre bike!

J/k: it's a busy little road and no runoffs! Ride it at a civilized pace and enjoy the beauty in between your studies!
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2016, 09:09 AM   #32
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Such a deal. And it's only 4,900 miles from corksil....

I'll also throw in a battery tender!
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2016, 09:13 AM   #33
HoneyBadgerRy

Quote:
Why do you give a crap what other people think?

Maybe it's just an age thing. I stopped caring what other people think of my choices, appearance, etc. long ago. Life's too short to give control of it to others.

Think for yourself and get the bike that moves YOU, not the one that will win approval from your friends.
99% of the time I don't care at all what other people think, but I just don't want to be part of their Honda circle jerk. I hear enough of the "ride red", "no wings no prair", and "we bleed red" as it is. Its funny how someone can dis on my bikes all day long, but they can't keep on on their brand new Hondas.

Old February 16th, 2016, 09:15 AM   #34
HoneyBadgerRy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWn60 View Post
Here's how to pass the time while waiting: head North on 10 to Belfountain. When you can strafe Knee down on that beautiful little road called the Forks ( something like that!) then you're ready for a litre bike!

J/k: it's a busy little road and no runoffs! Ride it at a civilized pace and enjoy the beauty in between your studies!
Yeah, civilian pace... with noise compliant exhaust... and with catalytic convertors, because any of that would be wrong, and frowned upon.

Old February 16th, 2016, 09:30 AM   #35
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Yeah, civilian pace... with noise compliant exhaust... and with catalytic convertors, because any of that would be wrong, and frowned upon.
More because it's a very tight, narrow, hilly, every corner is blind, no runout and full of tourists on the wrong side of the road. Did I mention there are frequent deaths? Feel free to carry on as you see fit!

As for noise; there's a huge area here in BC in the middle of nowhere with better twisties throughout it than you may ever see that is drawing huge heat. Why? Speed? No. Loud pipes. The natives are restless and demanding the heavy hand of the law because of noise. You reap what you sow
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2016, 03:20 PM   #36
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Quote:

Absolutely!! Live your own life. Everybody wants to tell you what you're supposed to do, but they're not in your life.

All the guys at work have Apple everything- iPod, iPad, iPhone, anything they possibly can.

I can't stand Apple. But I'm not going to let their opinion sucker me into getting something that I already know I don't want.

CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2016, 03:44 PM   #37
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
I'ma tell you right now. If you want to ride a bike, don't get the Aprilia. They are indeed finicky. They are great for supermoto racing but not for a daily.

Get whatever fluffs your skirt. Tickles your pickle. Whatever gets your blood flowing, do it. Life is too short for what ifs. Make it I did instead.

My Dad will be 62 this year. I got him back into racing three years ago. No such thing as too old.....only lacking motivation. I know you're not old but the only thing holding us back is excuses. Those suck.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2016, 07:43 PM   #38
toEleven
Slower than you.

MOTM - May '16
Quote:
[supermoto stuff]
I can't mark your post as helpful, so let me just say thank you instead.

Old February 16th, 2016, 07:48 PM   #39
HoneyBadgerRy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinNinja View Post
Don't get the Aprilia. They are indeed finicky. They are great for supermoto racing but not for a daily.
I'm still pretty sure my next bike is going to be an RS250, but it might be a Wr, or an R6 with a banshee motor in it that I will call a RZ350 2.0, or maybe even a SV650.

Old February 16th, 2016, 08:20 PM   #40
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
I appreciate you asking good questions. I've seen the OP post a few ideas. For his case I think a sumo is potentially a really bad route. Simply for the fact that it isn't everyone's cup of tea.

1. Do you strictly ride a motorcycle for pleasure? A super moto is a toy. The more fun it is, the more temperamental and more focused it will be. Do you mind wrenching? It will need frequent oil changes and they need to be looked over a lot. Some bikes are the exception to this rule. Example a drz400. Do you have a lot of local twisty roads that are extremely tight with straight away speeds under 60mph? That is the only situation a super moto shines. Anything faster and you will hate life. Do you have a go kart track nearby that allows motorcycles to be out there? Then you have a couple options of getting something really focused for performance or not street legal at all and learning a whole bunch. I'm a huge fan of mini moto and its benefits. So much so that I want to try opening up a schooling program for it. Yes I believe in it that much.

2. This is a hard question to answer. A dirt rider will feel natural with the position. Dirt riders take to all aspects of motorcycling faster than the conventional street rider. With that said, most dirt riders are just average in ability on the dirt and riding a road oriented bike will feel foreign to them. It's not surprising to see them take bad lines. I can teach the proper body position for dirt track and classic super moto riding. It's the complete opposite of road riding. Also, you didn't ask this but it's worth noting as its related. Street riders have a very steep learning curve for dirt riding verses dirt riders going to pavement. The 17s with hi performance tires on them, really strong front brakes, and the stiffer suspensions, don't forget they don't have as much clearance as a they would with dirt wheels on; it makes a super moto very difficult to do any kind of real dirt riding opposed to a fire access dirt road or an obstacle free single track. You won't be launching over rock gardens and climbing rutted out hills. It's a compromise. The more dirt oriented a bike becomes the less effective it is on the street. Even the gearing will be different. A great super moto bike on the asphalt is a nightmare in the dirt. There are more reasons why one would want a more specific tool for the job.

3. Hawaii doesn't have as strict of emission regulations as other states. Building a supermoto would yield a cool custom build that you can't purchase. Problem with building these bikes is that there is a lot the OP can get wrong. And just like buying racing equipment, the used market is way cheaper. You'll spend thousands converting a dirt bike to street use. There is just no way around it. The wheels, brakes, tires, suspension, the street legal stuff it adds up fast. Buying what the manufacturers have produced is the best option. But again, you're paying super sport prices for a really compromised focused tool. A KTM 690sm ain't cheap. The OP is still super sport dreaming (super sports are dumb in the street, not because they are too fast, they just are crappy street bikes).

The drz400s, wr250x, klx250sf are budget, beginner oriented, frugal machines. There is no ridiculous motor, crazy magura brake system, sexy aluminum frame, marchesini wheels... They are reliable boring bikes.

If I were going to buy a street legal supermoto bike, it would be either the KTM 690sm, or the new husqvarna 701 (same bike different manufacture branding) or really the Aprilia SXV550. Most likely the Aprilia because it's insane.

All valid points!

I would just like to add that I believe the KTM690 is also too racey for the streets. Had a friend who owned one for less than a year. He sold it because it was only fun to ride like a jackass and that makes for a bad street bike depending on who you ask. The bike hates putt'n around. If you are not ripping wheelies from every stop light it's not the bike for you. It also vibrates like no other bike I've ridden. My KLX250SF felt like the smoothest bike ever after hopping off the KTM.

Now that I also own a Street Triple I'd rather have a true dual sport than my KLX250SF. I will probably try and sell my KLX this spring to possibly buy a used XR650L or maybe just get a small cc sport bike again or finally get a used Miata for autoX/drifting.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote